TRIPAWDS: Home to 23122 Members and 2161 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
12.5 YEAR OLD CHOCO LAB, Front Left Leg Amputated June 11TH , 102 POUNDS, Not really able to walk yet
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
14 July 2020 - 10:17 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Wow Lady is a beautiful and happy chocolate lab!  I second Brownie's statement LABS ROCK.  Such wisdom in that gray face and eyebrows!  Very sorry to hear of her recent diagnosis.  Her fellow tripawd chocolate labs are pulling for her!

Image Enlarger

14 July 2020 - 12:17 pm

Awwww your choco lab is so beautiful!!! Choco labs are the best!! Thank you for sharing this amazing photo <3

17 July 2020 - 3:19 pm

I third that! They are the very best!!!  

My Beautiful Beloved Brownie was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma on February 26, 2019.  With all odds against him he lived an additional one year and eight days with amputation, love, and prayer.  I was honored to be his mom, and I have never been so proud!  He will live forever in my Heart!

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

16 September 2020 - 11:34 am

Hi All,

I've been MIA on the forum here for a bit, but often find myself scrolling through different posts during my workday. It's been over 3 months since Lady's surgery. And they have been as wonderful as you all promised.

Over the past few weeks, she's really started to slow down. She was having some accidents, with very dark yellow urine, so we collected some and had it sent to the vet. She had another UTI and was given medication. She also started doing this coughing/ gagging thing (kind of like when a dog is going to throw up--only she wasn't throwing up). We had an appointment Saturday for X-rays. Her cancer has spread and her lungs are pretty bad.

The vet prescribed a steroid to help with the coughing/ breathing, but they did say that it wouldn't be much longer. We asked for signs to look out for, because there are still lots of moments where she seems happy and jumps around. She's goes outside to use the bathroom, but she has had some accidents overnight. She still LOVESSSS food and drinks water without issue. But she's spending more and more time laying in a certain corner of our living room. Her breathing is pretty shallow and quick now too. It's like she's always just coming back from a ton of activity, but she isn't doing much anymore.

The vet said days to weeks, and I know you guys always say not to worry so much abour prognosis, but at this point, I don't want to extend her life just for our benefit. If it's time, I don't want to see her deteriorate. She's always been such a prideful doggo. I read a lot about it being time when the 'bad' days outweigh the 'good'. I truly don't think we are there yet, but I don't know if that's just me being selfish.

Any advice would be great. I know there's a whole forum on here about this, but I just want to make sure that from what I'm describing, we haven't already let it get too far for her. I just want her to be happy, even if that means I have to make the toughest decision.

Thank you, as always,

Erin

16 September 2020 - 1:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hi Erin, I'm sorry to hear about the spread to the lungs. I had a cat with malignant melanoma (skin cancer) and was told that it would spread to his lungs. He started having a cute little cough, his tumour on his head was oozing and my other cat would not go near him. He was sleeping a lot but one night he could not get comfortable and could only sleep in my arms. I know that cats are different than dogs - cats don't really get happy looks on their face but I used a discomfort measure and that my other cat knew it was time.

I heard a saying that it's better to let your pet go a "week early rather than a day too late", in other words before suffering. The important thing right now is to monitor Lady's pain/discomfort to keep her happy. Yes, it is a tough decision but you will know when it's time to let her go in comfort.

Big hugs,

Kerren

Virginia

16 September 2020 - 2:34 pm

To hear that sweet Lady has been enjoying  being Lady these past several months of "bonus" time warms my heart.  I know she has enjoyed more spoiling than she ever thought possible.....and you have enjoyed giving  it just as much.

I, like  many  hear, know what a kick in the gut it is to hear the news you got for Lady.  The bliss of being Lady is that she did hear the news and is continuing  on worry free living in the now.

This is such an individual decision.  You know Lady best. Every dog reacts to the mets differently.  From what you"'ve said, it doesn't  sound like Lady is in any real distress of pain and still has  quality  in her days.  

I will share my experience  with my Happy Hannah. A met was found (big as a baseball the Vet said).  No cough, got more and more tired and did  not seem in pain at all.  Maybe got "uncomfortable " later as she tried to sleep,   Ate, wagged, happy.  Sometimes  there was a noticeable  change in her breath pattern, sometimes not so much. 

She was also prescribed  Prednisone.  If I recall, the theory was that the met would cause  inflammation amd the Pr3d would help reduce that this providing better quality.   It did help.  And Igave her a low dose of Tramadol.You can ask your Vet about OTC cough   medicine  that seems to really help when a cough develops.

Giess it was about two months after the met discovery that she really did get more and more tired.  In actuality,  I'm sure the met was there at least a mo th or two prior.

A yway, still happy, still wagging, still woofing down her food, just ki d of exhausted  after going out, etc.  Still able to be herself, just on a much more low energy level.

I knew it would "not get better". While not too likely,  I knew a "crisis " of fluid on the lungs could happen at anytime.  

The tipping point for me, for her, was when I realized she could not actually sleep at night.  Yes, prior to that she may do a lot of restless movement  trying  to get comfortable, but at least she was able to sleep.  I guess in her case the laying  down position with that damn met eventually prevented her lungs from getting  the oxygen properly.  So even not sleeping and me tryi g to prop her up with pillows, etc she still ate like a horse and wagged her tail happily.  So for her, quality  was not measured by "the look", the not eating, the depressed state....quail was measured by exhausted  and not being avle to sleep.

She exited leaving me with a happy memory,  eating and wagging.  Doing "it" a "day too soon" with a happy memory beings me some comfort.

A suggestion so you can stay focused on the now and be fully present with sweet Lady.  Go ahead and get "arrangements" made for a home visit, etc so you can have that out of the way.  You don't  have to pick a date or anything like that, just get all your questions answered, discuss how you want it to be a celebration,  a happy send off etc.  

Didn't  mean to ramble..all just in the FWIW category. Right now Ladyi s with you and  sounds like she's intending  to hang around for some more spoiling and strak and ice cream and any yummy food she wants!!!   Make every moment the best moment ever amd with lots of pictures of this beautiful  Lady!!

Extra hugs 

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

16 September 2020 - 6:23 pm

Hi, it has been awhile. I'm happy to know that Lady has been doing well as a tripawd. With that said  I will tell you what I went thru with Brownie, them being so close in age and choc labs. Remembet labs rock!

Brownie first has signs of a senior dog. Arthritis in his spine, and trouble controlling his bowls. But it bothered him more then me. I know the hack you are describing. Brownie had it for about two months. I took him to three different vets. The first vet said it was a old man cough. But my gut was telling me more. 2nd vet said lungs clear cough due to age. But my gut was still speaking to me. Third vet, and there it was. Brownie had several small tumors and one huge mass in his lungs. He had a hard time getting comfortable at night. It seems when he laid down he had a hard time breathing. I prayed for a sign, and the next day Brownie coughed up blood. I looked into Brownies eyes and he was no longer the happy boy he use to be. Instead of looking at me he just looked empty. What I am trying to say, is Lady will let you know, and just listen with your heart. But in the mean time she is here now! So embrace each day, and make each day special!

You and Lady are in our prayers.

My Beautiful Beloved Brownie was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma on February 26, 2019.  With all odds against him he lived an additional one year and eight days with amputation, love, and prayer.  I was honored to be his mom, and I have never been so proud!  He will live forever in my Heart!

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

16 September 2020 - 6:29 pm

Ditto  to what Kerren said.  Better a week early then a week late. Brownie could of hung on longer but I knew it was going to get worse, but most important Brownie was no longer happy. When we started this journey all I wanted was for him to be happy! I do believe you have accomplished that with Lady!

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

On The Road

16 September 2020 - 9:54 pm

Erin, I'm so sorry for the news. My heart goes out to you. Getting to this stage of the cancer journey is so tough, it hits hard and feels like living through the diagnosis all over again. You sound strong though, and able to put your heartache aside to help this time in Lady's life be the best that it can be. She is such a lucky dog to have you for her mom.

Her symptoms and the treatment are identical to Jerry. It sounds like the Pred's side effects aren't too bad for her. We had to take our Jerry off Pred shortly after starting it because the drug made him so wacky and not in a good way. If it's working for Lady, that's really great. It can help give her more good days for a while.

I totally agree with Sally that it will help you so much to talk with a pet hospice expert right now, while you still have a good presence of mind and Lady's quality of life is still good. Here's a blog post that can help if you haven't seen it:

https://tripawd.....-pet-loss/

The article also features a link to the Penny Jar Method, which is one of my favorite ways to gauge quality of life.

I hope these tips help. Please keep us posted OK? Lady overcame such great challenges during her recovery. It makes my heart hurt to know she has mets, but ultimately, it's not the cancer that defines who she is or what her life is about, but rather that beautiful, sweet spirit of hers that will always be part of your life and our community.

For now, stay strong and know that we are here to lean on.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

17 September 2020 - 5:31 am

Thank you ALL for the advice and kinds words. I actually started the Penny Jar Method yesterday after reading through another blog on here. This is a really great idea, as well as calling and talking to hospice now because it seems like from what everyone says, once it happens, it's going to happen quickly. I'm so thankful for this forum and the online community here. You guys rock. Yesterday was a good day. The steroid seems to be helping. It's also making her crazy hungry. She just hangs out in the kitchen with her big puppy eyes like FEED ME!!!!

I've been crying on and off since we got the news. I won't cry in front of her because I don't want her to feel anything but happy and loved, but it's just really hard to think that someday soon we'll have to say good bye. Before Lady had her amputation, whenever you would pet her she would put her paw up onto your shoulder or your arm. I used to think it was her way of saying "STOP PETTING ME!" But then if you did stop she would lift her head up and nudge you with her snout to keep petting. I began to think her putting her paw up like that was her way of acknowledging you back. Kind of like petting you too. It was also so that you could give her belly rubs. She loves those. After the amputation, she couldn't really do that because she lays on the side of her remaining front paw now. Anyway, yesterday morning, she was actually laying on her amputated side, so when I pet her in the morning, sure enough, her paw came up onto my shoulder. It's the little things like that that I love and cherish so much about Lady. My family and I were talking yesterday about when she was younger. She was such a force. We had an above ground pool at our old house and she would literally climb UP that ladder to get into that pool. I have soooo many stories like that about Lady. I feel so blessed to have loved her through all seasons of her life, even this final one.

Thank you all again for your advice. I will continue to update and stay close. sp_hearticon2

Virginia

17 September 2020 - 9:48 am

Oh gosh, just love hearing more about your sweet Lady♥️. A "force"...a "force for good", that's  for sure!

The visual of climbing  the ladder made me smile😊  Such a happy memory  of a girl who has auch a happy life.

And clearly  she's still making  more Happy memories😎  Love that she did her "paw thing tripawd style"

I read that "petting you back" with her paw is exactly  that....they are petting you back....acknowledging  your love for them and their love for you♥️  Isn't  that the sweetest gesture in the world?🥰🥰

Lady is definitely  still having good days, good moments, good times begging for food👍  

The most important  thing now is to Be More Dog .....BE MORE LADY.  Stay fully present with no worries about the tomorrows, just living fully today.  

Keep making those Happy memories.  Does she like carrides?  If so, take her for drive thru cheeseburgers, or, better yet, a drive thru Puppacino  at Starbucks (a cup of whip cream).  And Ceetos, give her some Cheetos, lots of chicken nuggets, ice cream, steak, cheese covered french fries, cake with frosting...you get the picture!

Extra hugs

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!.  

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

On The Road

17 September 2020 - 12:22 pm

I'm so glad we could help. You are so strong and your attitude is such good medicine for her!

It's great that you are not letting her see you cry. That's not what she wants, she needs to know that you are the strong dog momma that will do fine when her earthly presence transitions to a spirit one. Some day there will be time for lots of tears but now's not the time. You're doing great!

This is the time to keep making happy memories as Sally suggested. Find all those fun things on her bucket list to give that girl the time of her life! After all these years I suspect you won't have any problem finding things to do with her.

What a privilege to be there for her all these years. I know everyone here would love to hear more stories about her, that ladder story IS crazy funny icon_lol

18 September 2020 - 6:40 am

Lady loves car rides! We take her on them frequently, sometimes to the beach, but we haven't let her out onto the actual beach. I'm nervous she would run for the water, not realizing with 1 less leg she won't be able to swim the same. I know my family wants to take her there. We've been giving her lots of human food, lately she's been having lots of chicken and steak with us at dinner. 

It seems like the steroid is working really well. Yesterday was another really good day for her, and she seems more alert & is moving around a lot again. No overnight accident this morning either. The breathing is still the same, but no more of the coughing/ gagging. The vet said the breathing isn't likely to cause her pain but I still worry.

As for Lady stories, oh, there are so many. There was the year on Thanksgiving we foolishly left the turkey on the counter and she was left alone in the kitchen for no more than fifteen minutes. It was gone when we came back. We panicked, so afraid that she had eaten bone and all. It was a smaller turkey, just for my family, but we called the vet all the same. We learned quickly that if you leave food out, even in high places, Lady would find it and eat it. No matter what it was.

When she was younger, we called her Houdini. We would put her in a crate if we would go out, and sure enough, when we came home, she was just sitting there at the door. She would never break the crate to get out of it either. The door was just open like she said "no thanks" and strolled on out. No crate ever contained her. And we tried a few. One time she got out of a screen door window after we had gone out, just busted right through it, intent on following our scent. Luckily, our neighbor called and said they had her. She managed to escape a grooming place once too. We explained over and over that Lady does not like us to leave her, but they assured us it would be fine and they deal with dogs like that all the time. So my dad took their advice and left. He got a call about a half hour later that she had escaped--no one could say how it happened, and had gotten out into the parking lot where they were finally able to catch her. They were SO embarrassed, but we weren't surprised. If there was a will (like Lady's) there was always a way!

Virginia

18 September 2020 - 11:04 am

Oh Lady, your sweet, gentle !   And you clearly are a very smart name hides the fact that you know how to be a naughty gal when no one is lookjng!  And you are a very, very smart Houdini escape artist whomoitsmarts the hoomans everytime!!!   And ya'll know what, that kind of determination  and never give up attitude  is a really good trait  to have on this journey 😎

Im so glad the Prednisone  is helping! I remember  my Vet said that there comes a time when Prednisone  can actually be quite the miracle drug in some instances.  Yay for this being one of those instances"! 

Isn't  spoiling a tripawd the best fun evvvver?!  And you are doing  an excellent  job of that!!

FWIW,  I'm  on the "take her to the beach" side of your family!  Tripawds can swim very well.  Many use a float coat or float vest to help, but not everyone does.  Obviously  if you are talking "beach", there are waves, so that could be a determining  factor if seas are really calm...or not.    Is it possible to get one of thos realky ,ong training  leashes (20' or so) and go out with her part of the way and sort of be near her with the long leash on her?  You don't  want her inhaling any water  or over exerting causing  hard breathing. 

Or maybe there's a lake somewhere near you?  Or maybe a Physical Terapy place that has a pool where dogs can swim??   Or maybe a friend with a  pool?

Anyway, just dome thoughts.

And thanks so much for shar Lady with us!  It's soooo much fun getting to know her and to know what a unique o e of a kind doggy she is!!  And the bond....the .ove....a beautiful  thing to observe♥️

Hugs

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

On The Road

18 September 2020 - 2:32 pm

Lady the Escape Artist? Who knew?! What great stories! Her determination to get what she wants speaks volumes about her ability to kick butt since she lost her leg. Kudos to you for following your gut and giving her a chance to thrive as a Tripawd.

I also think that it would be awesome to get her to some water. Yep, Tripawds can sure swim! Our YouTube playlist of Tripawds of all ages and sizes Swimming has tons of videos to put your mind at ease. A life jacket would definitely help though, we highly recommend one.

Yay for the Pred to keep helping her have great days, I'm so thrilled that she's doing well on it.

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: Christine_8
Guest(s) 380
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17872
Moderators: 6