TRIPAWDS: Home to 22974 Members and 2152 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
12.5 YEAR OLD CHOCO LAB, Front Left Leg Amputated June 11TH , 102 POUNDS, Not really able to walk yet
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Virginia

sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
15 October 2020 - 10:40 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Thank you for checking  back in.  We know it wasn't  easy, yet, hopefully, you find some comfort in being surrounded  by Lady's tripawd family.  We understand  the depth of bond that this joirney brings.  We understand  the joy in celebrating  every special day you had with your girl, and we understand  the depth of heartbreak as the earth journey ends.

And yes, Lady hears you talking to her...she "hearsz" your energy; she "hears" your loving energy♥️

Had to chuckle a bit about wanting more signs.  Lady was thinking the sign she sent with the scramble game spelling  out her name just as the video uour Mom was watching had you calling  her name.  Yeah, Lady thought that would hold you over for awhile!  Silly girl!  

I think connection  throughout  dreams sometimes  takes more time.   Our grief is still so heavy that  our sleep pattern is still too muddled to receive  the messages from our loved ones.  And dreams may not be the vehicle Lady wants to use.  But be patient, I think it will happen.  

I still love the video of Lady's Grandpa giving  her his sandwich  and then the look on his face when he got busted!😁  Lady loved being spoiled!!😎

((((((Hugs))))))

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

On The Road

15 October 2020 - 10:45 am

Awww. I remember that empty feeling well. We have always been a one dog family and when Jerry got his wings it was super hard to adjust.

Keep talking to her, she's there! She may not be leaving you physical signs, but if you tune in on a deeper level, I have a feeling you will sense her love that surrounds you. 

There is a really good book I'm reading right now, called Life After Death by Deepak Chopra. A friend gave it to me recently, and so much of what he says makes total sense. The book gets into deep discussions about how our spirits are energy that never die, but transition from one reality to the next. When a body dies, the true essence of that individual, the spirit, goes into another realm of consciousness that is still nearby, and remains part of the connection we shared with that individual. See if you can grab a copy, I think you'll enjoy it and find some comfort. 

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Virginia

15 October 2020 - 10:50 am

Rene👍  💜

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

15 October 2020 - 12:55 pm

Thanks for the book suggestion! I now have two I can read that will hopefully help, and I love to read. Thanks for all the kind words, too. I'm always checking on the site here just to see any dog updates. It makes me happy. But also sad I don't have any more updates to give. I will say twitter dog videos have also made me laugh a lot smiley4 One day at a time, I guess!

On The Road

15 October 2020 - 2:46 pm

Exactly Erin, one day at a time for sure, you can do it!

And you DO have updates to give, because we all want to find out how you're doing and support you OK?

15 October 2020 - 6:20 pm

Hey Erin, Brownie has been gone 7.5 months and I still grieve. I was told by Sally and Karen I will always miss him; and I know that now to be true. For months all I did was work, also from home, then sit my butt down and read about dealth and the after life. I haven't told anyone this but for the first six months I couldn't sleep in my bedroom, because I just kept thinking about Brownie laying on his sprawl bed with his blanket and pillow. So for six months I slept on the couch. I always thought I would dream about Brownie, but he only came to me once for a split second, but it was so real! And it had nothing to do with the dream I was having. I read that are pets do want us to grieve at first. I mean you want people to grieve for you at first, but you don't want them to grieve forever. You would want them to move on. Same with our pets. I read that if we continue to grieve it makes them feel sad and guilty that we are sad because of them. I do feel Brownie with me, but when I drive by places we use to go I do get very emotional. But I had to learn to walk around the black hole, instead of falling in. You will get there. I'm still getting there. Just one day at a time. And as Sally says one foot in front of the other. sp_hearticon2

My Beautiful Beloved Brownie was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma on February 26, 2019.  With all odds against him he lived an additional one year and eight days with amputation, love, and prayer.  I was honored to be his mom, and I have never been so proud!  He will live forever in my Heart!

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

15 October 2020 - 6:27 pm

There is a free app you can download to your phone by Karen Anderson. Another member Bev, and I have found it so comforting, and maybe it can help you as well.

The app is called

BusinessisBooming!

My Beautiful Beloved Brownie was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma on February 26, 2019.  With all odds against him he lived an additional one year and eight days with amputation, love, and prayer.  I was honored to be his mom, and I have never been so proud!  He will live forever in my Heart!

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

15 October 2020 - 6:31 pm

Sorry I got it backwards. It is

Boom!Businessisbooming

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

16 October 2020 - 6:56 am

I just downloaded the app... it already has me crying! One of the questions "Who do you think greeted your pet when they made their transition to the Other Side?" One of the last things my father said to Lady before she left us was that my Papa was waiting for her with the lamb.

Some back story, I grew up in a three decker (Boston term? It's a 3 apartment building). My family lived on the first floor, my aunt and her two sons on the second, and my mother's parents on the third. My nana was a HUGE animal lover. She took in stray animals, fed the birds in the school yard across the street every morning, etc. My papa could have cared less about animals for years. When my nana got sick and couldn't do the stairs every day out into the school yard anymore, my papa started feeding the birds every morning for her. Even if he didn't understand why she loved animals so much, he did it because of how much he loved her. Even when I was younger, I realized how special a love that was.

It wasn't until my cousin on the second floor got a French Bull Dog (Bruschi) that my Papa became the biggest animal softie around. Bruschi was just a puppy when he got him, he could almost fit perfectly in your palm. There had been plenty of cats throughout the years, but Bruschi was the first dog. Soon after, we got Lady. She was already a big dog (still a puppy but already full grown). She was a BIG dog, and in her early years she didn't LOVE men (except my father--she loved him the first moment she saw him). My papa was a bit afraid of her. Anyway, it took some time, but she warmed to my papa and they became best buds. He used to come down and visit us most mornings and he'd always bring some type of food (he was 100% Italian so food was his love language). He started bringing Lady treats, too, and he would often offer to walk her and then sit outside with her on our stoop and watch the world go by.

They were quite the trio--papa, Bruschi, and Lady. He loved watching them play in the backyard together. It cracked him up because of the size difference. You all saw the video of my dad giving her a WHOLE SANDWICH. Well, that was papa too. If he was at a dinner table, they would sit next to him with these big puppy eyes. He would always cave. He loved them both so much. He always said he couldn't play favorites, and he never did. He spoiled them both in only the way a papa can.

Both of my grandparents passed away years ago. Bruschi passed away a little over a year ago as well, and so I know, without a shadow of a doubt, my papa & nana & Bruschi greeted Lady when she left us. And just like my dad said, I'm sure he had the lamb.

16 October 2020 - 7:51 am

Glad you got the app.  I think you will find it very helpful.sp_hearticon2

Love the story about your papa......

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

Virginia

16 October 2020 - 10:24 am

Ohhhh myyyy gosh!  Thank you soooo much for sharing that lovely story of your loving family❤  I wassoooo touched by the close ess of your family and especially  by the love your Nana  had for animals.  Then the way your Papa showed love for her by takk g care of her birds....beautiful. just beautiful. 

And then for your Papa to become an "animal .lover" as a result of uour Nana, and Bruschi and Lady.  Nana's legacy of kindness lives on, as does your Papa's.  And that legacy of kind ess has been passed down to you and your Dad too.

There was a lovely dog memver here named Lily.  Her Mom is Joan.  Lily ,oved her stuffed lamb.  Her banner actually pops up on here periodically.  I'm sure Lilly was getting Lady too woth a wheelbarrow full of stuffed lambs!  And DEFINITELY  Nana, Papa and her lamb were there to greet her.  Without doubt!!   The reunion was spectacular!!!    In fact, it may be awhile before she connects with uou because  she's having such a ball with all the lambs and Papa feeding her all the Italian  food she wants!

Thank you so much for sharing this heartwarming  story with us.  Full of warm fuzzies head to toe over here!!!

❤Hugs❤

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

On The Road

16 October 2020 - 12:13 pm

Erin, your story brought happy tears to my eyes. Everything about it, from the multi-generational home that you grew up in, to the vision of your grandparents, Bruschi and Lady reuniting. I so believe it happened that way! There is a special connection that animals have to the departed, and without a doubt Lady found her way to those who loved her most in this life. What a wonderful vision. Thank you for sharing.

17 October 2020 - 8:59 am

I smiled when you refered to the "three decker". When I was born, we lived on the third floor, lol. I remember my mom carrying me piggy back up all the stairs, and my memiere (grandma) lived in the apartment below us. Must be a New England thing, lol.  We lived there until I was 7, and when we got our own home, my memiere came with us 💖

I loved the story of your family and how everyone got along. The food part is just precious with your dad. That video is so special of your dad giving up his sandwich. Funny how those precious furbabies wiggle their way into our hearts. 

Thank you so much for sharing your memories, those are special times that will stay with you forever. Just like Lady will be in your heart forever. She shed only her earth clothes, her spirit will be with you and surround you always. 

Sending big hugs 💖

Jackie and Huckleberry 💖

Hugs,

Jackie, Bo, Andy, Oscar, Phoebe, and the coolest feral tripawd kitty Huckleberry

Huckleberry's Blog

19 October 2020 - 6:02 am

It's definitely a New England thing!! And I'm sure you're right in that Lady is having so much fun up there right now. Her ashes came home this weekend, along with her paw and some seeds for us to plant flowers. THAT was emotional. Her paw print is so big. We put it all in the corner of the living room where she always slept. It feels good knowing she's finally home sp_hearticon2

On The Road

19 October 2020 - 10:58 am

((((hugs)))) yeah there's so many emotions that happen when ashes are returned. How nice they sent the flowers.

Keep remembering the good times whenever you feel sad (like switching the channel in your brain) and in time, they will be the memories you remember first. Nothing can take away all those happy years you had with her. What a gift.

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 234
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1268
Members: 17735
Moderators: 6