TRIPAWDS: Home to 22969 Members and 2152 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
12.5 YEAR OLD CHOCO LAB, Front Left Leg Amputated June 11TH , 102 POUNDS, Not really able to walk yet
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4 October 2020 - 12:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Thank you all sp_hearticon2 I am SURE that Brownie & Lady are together on the rainbow bridge. As the old saying goes, birds of a feather flock together! I keep watching videos of her on her on my phone... it helps me feel like she's still here. I've been crying on and off, but I keep telling myself we made the right decision and she's finally free and isn't suffering. We have so much food & treats left over. I'm thinking of setting up a table outside with the treats. There are so many dogs in my neighborhood, and if I socially distance, maybe I can see them when they grab the treats and give them a wave. Is that pathetic? I miss the companionship so badly. Especially sitting out front with her and watching the world go by. I hate that I can leave food out now and now worry about her jumping up and eating it.. the other day when my nieces were here they left their fries on the table and I caught myself before I told them to be careful because Lady's always lurking.....

4 October 2020 - 12:54 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hi Erin,  It is normal to find yourself doing things that you use to do.  When they have been with us for so long, it is just part of a daily routine.  Months after Brownie passed, I found my self in the toy isle at the pet store, picking out a new toy for Brownie.  I do believe you made the right decision.  There comes a time when it hurts more to watch the ones we love in pain, then it is to let them go.  Just remember you gave Lady a beautiful gift, and she knows that.

There is a book, "The Amazing After life's of Pets", by Karen Anderson.  It really helped me.  I read that are pets know when they are going to cross over, and they do something they have never done before, or something they hadn't done in awhile.  It may take some time to know what that is, because of the grieving.  But it is called a "memory moment".  When you are not grieving as much you will know the "memory moment' that Lady left you. sp_hearticon2

My Beautiful Beloved Brownie was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma on February 26, 2019.  With all odds against him he lived an additional one year and eight days with amputation, love, and prayer.  I was honored to be his mom, and I have never been so proud!  He will live forever in my Heart!

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

Virginia

4 October 2020 - 6:45 pm

Setting  up a treat table fir the neighborhood dogs in honor of Lady is a lovely idea.💖

Yes, the void, the silence, the break in routine are all such a shock to the system.  We undersrand.

When Nancy brought up the "memory moment"'I chuckled a little bit thinking of one that Lady left you for sure.  She turned her nose up to a treat, but sure didn't  mind opting for a powdered  donut instead.

I also would find comfort  in pictures and videos.  Bittersweet, but more sweet than bitter.  It's so important  to remind  ourselves our great a time our pets had as evidenced by those photograph  memories.  Just another way Lady reminds  you she's still with you in uour heart and in uour thoughts.

Counter surfing at the Bridge is a lot easier with a pair of Wings (Angel wings)

💖💖💖

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

5 October 2020 - 5:53 am

Thank you for the book suggestion! I think I will buy it on my Kindle. I posted a bunch of old videos & photos on my instagram. I'll have to share them on here. Lady gave me her first sign... my mom was playing a video of me with Lady and I was calling her name trying to get her attention, and just at that moment, I opened a game on my phone... it's a word scramble game. And what word appears right then & there? LADY. It was so perfect sp_hearticon2sp_hearticon2sp_hearticon2sp_hearticon2

5 October 2020 - 8:48 am

Erin, That is amazing!  I would say that is definitely a sign.  A sign that Lady is still with you!  sp_hearticon2

My Beautiful Beloved Brownie was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma on February 26, 2019.  With all odds against him he lived an additional one year and eight days with amputation, love, and prayer.  I was honored to be his mom, and I have never been so proud!  He will live forever in my Heart!

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

Virginia

5 October 2020 - 8:49 am

OMD!!   Chills head to toe!!!!   WOW LADY!!   Talk about a "sign".....this is definitely a "Lady specific' direct communique!  Love the timing it!  She knew you needed to know ahe was okay so she made sure her sign was obvious and with no doubt!!!

Write this connection  down and all the subsequent ones.  As you revisit them over time, you will be astounded at the various ways she has made her presence  known to you.

With love

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

5 October 2020 - 8:51 am

Had to come back and say something! As soon as I sent you the last message, about definitely being a sign, as soon as I hit send, Brownie's banner popped up.  I think Brownie is saying "Yes it was a sign". sp_hearticon2

Brownie always had an intuition like no other.sp_hearticon2

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

5 October 2020 - 10:24 am

Thank you!! I will write them down & take pictures. I made a thread on twitter of some of the photos/ videos of her.

Here's the link:

And here's another, after her surgery,

Let me know if it works!!

5 October 2020 - 10:29 am

It looks like only some posted... if you click on it you can see the whole thread! I should just make a blog on here lol

On The Road

5 October 2020 - 12:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Oh such sweet memories! Haha you're right, clicking on the thread is a MUST, then you get to see pics like my favorite:

LadyPic.jpgImage Enlarger

Heeeheee! I just had to put this one in our Photo Gallery, hope that's OK?

Those videos and photos are a real treat, thank you for sharing. And I LOOOOOVE the story about the word scramble game! WOW! Totally a sign! 

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

5 October 2020 - 1:44 pm

Hahaha that picture is my favorite, too. Oh, how it makes me laugh!!!

And thank you for sharing her photo! And especially such a funny one LOL

Virginia

5 October 2020 - 3:19 pm

Okay, I'm  gonna a come back and link o to the tweet photos, but right now I'm laughing too hard at the video of uour Dad giving  Lady his sandwich...and the look when he got busted....PRICELESS!!!  Lady is sooo .oved and certainly  knew how to use that love to her advantage!!  Smart girl!!   I call it "being owned by my dogs".

14 October 2020 - 5:37 pm

Hi Erin, just seeing how you are doing? Love the video of Lady getting the sandwich. Talk about busted! That is priceless!

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

15 October 2020 - 7:03 am

Hi, I'm glad you guys liked the videos. I've watched them countless times this past week and a half. I miss her so much! I cry usually in the mornings when I come down the stairs to start my work day. It's a special hell working from home now. Just a constant emptiness here that's hard to ignore. Whenever I open the fridge, it's a knee jerk reaction for me to expect to her to come around the corner like FOOD???? FOR ME???? 

No more signs from her since the word app. I keep talking to her like she's still here though. I hope she can hear me. I haven't dreamed of her either. I wish I would dream of her. Hopefully some day soon 🙁

15 October 2020 - 8:23 am

I'm so sorry. I know that pain is unbearable. And working from home after this must be even harder. I guess the only thing I can tell you for sure is that time will eventually ease the sharpness of the pain. As time passes you will start to be able to remember her and smile more, crying a little less. 

The routine is so different when they cross over. I know it's weird when silence and the emptiness of a house can practically scream at you. It is similar working at the office, although I think when you get to be out of the house for a few hours you can be distracted for a while. But then you come home and are greeted with the silence of them not here in their earth clothes. 

I think she will send you more signs, I don't know if they will be as obvious as the word app! That must have blown you away! 

You are surrounded by friends here. We have all been through that loss and know how deep it is. Sending you hugs and pawsitive healing vibes.

Jackie and Huckleberry sp_hearticon2

Hugs,

Jackie, Bo, Andy, Oscar, Phoebe, and the coolest feral tripawd kitty Huckleberry

Huckleberry's Blog

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 166
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1268
Members: 17731
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3