TRIPAWDS: Home to 23086 Members and 2157 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
12.5 YEAR OLD CHOCO LAB, Front Left Leg Amputated June 11TH , 102 POUNDS, Not really able to walk yet
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Virginia

sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
25 June 2020 - 1:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Wyatt and Lady.  If ya' gotta' eat Zucchini, the least those hoomans of yours could do is put cheese on  it!  

Screenshot_20200625-153246_Google.jpgImage Enlarger

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

26 June 2020 - 7:14 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Ohhhh! That looks delicious!!! Thank you all for the positive words! Lady has come a long way! I'm hoping to get some more videos of her walking today in the yard and I will share those 🙂 

On The Road

26 June 2020 - 10:12 am

Wow that makes us hungry! YUM! OK I'll make a note of that and be sure to give Wyatt lots of gooey melted cheese too (NOT!).

I'm so hoppy to know that Lady is doing better! Can't wait to see the videos.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

1 July 2020 - 7:26 am

Hi!

Just wanted to provide a Lady update... the vet called yesterday and told us Lady has a rare infection so the original medication they gave us last visit wasn't working so we got TWO new medications. Poor Lady can't catch a break! Aside from that, she's been doing really well. She's getting more comfortable with her mobility, so she's moving around a bit more. Yesterday, she actually met my sister and nieces at the front door to greet them (something she hasn't done since the surgery). Her new bed also arrived. It's great!! She's been moving between her new bed & her old one throughout the days. She's like Goldie Locks!!

She's also been coming to the table to beg for food and actually puts her head under our elbows in hopes to get some attention/food. When we first found out about her tumor, that was something I didn't think I'd ever see again. It made my heart melt. I'm wondering if we should switch away from dog food to meats? We gave her some steak last night instead of her normal dog food... it seems to motivate her a lot more than anything else can. I'm still planning to talk to the vet about nutrition, but is a high protein diet like this beneficial? Instead of the standard dog food? She's definitely losing some weight so I don't want to make any wrong calls and have her put any pounds back on.

We have our next vet appointment tomorrow to get the staples out (hopefully) and with oncology, so prayers for Lady!!!! I haven't caught her walking on video yet, but here is a picture of her. I think she looks so regal 🙂

1 July 2020 - 9:19 am

Sorry about Lady having an infection, but great news she is getting around better, and she likes her new bed. I did cook for Brownie, a meat and vegetable diet with omega 3 added. Vegetables such as Brocklie,  Kale and Spinich.  I also added vitamins and supplements to keep his immune system strong.

I know she is going to be happy to get those staples out. Love the pic. She has eyes like Brownie. 

My Beautiful Beloved Brownie was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma on February 26, 2019.  With all odds against him he lived an additional one year and eight days with amputation, love, and prayer.  I was honored to be his mom, and I have never been so proud!  He will live forever in my Heart!

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

On The Road

1 July 2020 - 3:58 pm

Awww she DOES look regal! I love her sweet face sf-kiss

I'm so glad she's doing better, losing weight and moving around more. These are HUGE accomplishments for Goldilocks! smiley_clapDespite the infection (so glad they caught it!), she's getting her mojo and that is very, very good news. Here are some thoughts about her diet:

Since she's on such strong antibiotics, her gut flora is probably wiped out. Ask your vet for a good probiotic supplement to kick start her GI system. They probably have one on hand called FortiFlora, it's great stuff and super helpful for dogs on the mend. You can also add some DIY probiotics into her food as time goes on.

Regarding her diet: small bits of steak are awesome for her to enjoy every now and then but I would wait to make any kind of major diet change. There's a ton of controversy about feeding a high protein low-carb diet to dogs with cancer (or any dog really). This article explains more, and gives you some food for thought to discuss with your vet tomorrow:

Does a Low Carb Pet Cancer Diet Make a Difference?

Let us know what the vet says! 

1 July 2020 - 5:48 pm

Great idea Jerry about Probiotic. Brownie's Hollostic vet put Brownie on a Probiotic for a healthy gut. I got it at Walgreens.

Brownie was 90 lbs at time of amputation. Once he dropped to 75 lbs he got around a lot better. Have you tried the dehyrated liver for treats? I found out today that Max and Sassy like grapes and strawberries.  Who knew! When Lady comes to the table for a bite you could hand her a slice of Apple, carrot or even a teaspoon of low fat cottage cheese. I have Brownie his supplements with a teaspoon of cottage cheese. If I put them in his food he would tip the bowl over and hop away.

Once Lady fully recovers you will continue to see her do things that you thought she would do again....

My Beautiful Beloved Brownie was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma on February 26, 2019.  With all odds against him he lived an additional one year and eight days with amputation, love, and prayer.  I was honored to be his mom, and I have never been so proud!  He will live forever in my Heart!

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

1 July 2020 - 8:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I have cats and have been told to NOT feed chocolate or grapes to dogs. Other than that I can't comment on canine nutrition!

Lady is elegant. That blasted infection may make her feel yucky. I hope the vet has found the right antibiotic this time.

Kerren and Tripawd Kitty Mona

Virginia

1 July 2020 - 8:22 pm

Lady is beautiful!!  This is such a great photo.  Of course, with a subject  as lovely  as Lady, it has to be great!!

Thanks for sharing.  We can't  get enoigh of this sweet girl😊

Hugs

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

2 July 2020 - 1:26 pm

Hi All! Thank you for the kind words, as always! We just got back from the vet. Not much that I didn't already suspect was said. 

She has cancer in her lymph nodes and maybe some nodules in her lungs. The vet didn't seem too keen on chemo but did offer it as an option if we were interested. She said we could reassess once the staples come out... which, they did not come out today STILL! They want to wait another week because the infection is still bad on her incision. I talked about the mentioned probiotic above and they said it was a good idea. I also mentioned about diets and they said there isn't much data to support "starving the cancer" but it could be an option as well. They said her caloric intake should be around 1300 calories a day and suggested some dog food brands for her.

The only real good news was that Lady is now weighing in at 86 pounds!!! Before surgery she was a little under a 100, so she's lost quite a bit of weight. They said 85 is about the standard. It was funny, when I first asked her weight they said they didn't know what she was today yet but that she was a little overweight and 85 pounds would be ideal. They called later to say that she weighed 86 pounds so I think Lady deserves an apology! Overweight was a harsh word to throw around without the facts! She's darn near perfect 😉

Anyway, in terms of prognosis, the vet said it's hard to say for sure but this cancer is terminal and it's more about quality of life at this point. We got the okay to start taking her on some small walks and a bit more activity. I also asked about the staples hurting her because of the heat, and they said that because she has a darker fur, that likely wouldn't be the case. I know when my mom had staples in her head, they would burn if they were exposed to the sun for too long, so it's something I have been keeping in mind when Lady is outside. It was reassuring to know that likely isn't causing Lady much discomfort. Hopefully by next week her incision will be all healed and we will finally get those staples out.

I hope everyone has a safe & fun holiday weekend! Give your dogs & cats an extra hug for me! They are the best among us!

On The Road

2 July 2020 - 2:56 pm

kazann said
I have cats and have been told to NOT feed chocolate or grapes to dogs.

Yep, all true. Nancy, nix the grapes. Try popcorn instead!

On The Road

2 July 2020 - 3:00 pm

WOW! Lady's weight loss story is such a big success! Oh my gosh you should both be VERY proud of that! May I send you some questions over? I'd like to share her story in a Triapwds Nutrition blog post. This is wonderful! smiley_clap

I'm sorry those staples are still in but yeah, let that incision continue healing and keep it safe. She will get there.

And the cancer status...ugh. Yes, quality of life is #1, always, but especially when we're talking about this disease. Did your vet refer you to an oncologist for more info about whether or not chemo may help?

That's awesome that your vet had such a good conversation with you about her diet. A round of applawse to you for asking great questions! You are such a good mom to Lady.

2 July 2020 - 3:02 pm

Yea, I didn't know that about grapes, but they just split one.  However, strawberries are an excellent source of vitamin C.

I do know when having cancer you want to stay away from sugar and carbs as much as possible.  Cancer feeds on surgar.  You want to feed a high protein diet. 

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

Virginia

2 July 2020 - 8:16 pm

I just smile everytime  I read about Lady getting her sparkle back.  😊  

She's truly a Tripawd RockStar and has us all as members of The Lady Fan Club!  On top of that, Lady is the Role Model for showing the world how to turn  into a lean, mean, fightin' machine!    And let me tell ya', you have impressed our leader Jerry big time with your  new weight of the "perfect" 85 lbs!    Okay, we have to give your hoomans some credit too!

Lady continues  to show everyone that she is a fighter....gentle, but still a fighter!!   You have given her a chance to continue to live life to fullest with more spoiling and lov than you, or she, ever thought was possible!!   There is no timeframe stamped on that pretty butt of hers and she  aure doesn't  care what any ole Bet says about ....well....about anything!!

Oh, interesting about the staples getting hot in the sun.  I never thought about it, but it cert makes sense as something  to think about.

Looking g forward ro more pictures of Lady and all ,the ways she's continuing  to get her sparkle back😎

Hugs

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

6 July 2020 - 2:49 am

Hi, Thank you all!! You can send me questions about nutrition! Sorry for the delayed response. And we did actually talk to the oncologist last Thursday. She said that even if we decided for chemo, she wouldn't want to start until the incision infection is healed. But she said a few times that even with chemo, life expectancy may not change because of the type of cancer it is and where it is.

I'm going to upload some videos of Lady walking/ drinking from her water bowl. I'll try the twitter route, but if it doesn't work I'll make a you tube account.

The vet also told us to nix the harness until the incision heals, so we have been using the regular lease and collar until we get the staples out, which stinks because the harness is so much easier. She loves her new bed though! It's much easier for her to get up and out of then her old one. Thank you all for the suggestions!

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 248
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17842
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: