TRIPAWDS: Home to 22974 Members and 2152 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
12.5 YEAR OLD CHOCO LAB, Front Left Leg Amputated June 11TH , 102 POUNDS, Not really able to walk yet
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
17 June 2020 - 9:42 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Not sure if I did that right, please let me know if I didn't!

17 June 2020 - 11:15 am

Lady is a cutie! Brownie was on the diet "Feed the Dog, Starve the Cancer" . He was also on supplements from his Hollostic vet for immune system, fish oils, and supplements for a healthy gut. He also took the K9 immunity mushroom powder. You can find it in the nutrition blog. Brownie's forum is in the "Share your story" forum. And his blog is "The Story of Brownie"

Just like Lady, Brownie was very food motivated. He would do anything for a cookie, and was super stubbrand. Must be a lab thing, lol

Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery! Keep us posted.

My Beautiful Beloved Brownie was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma on February 26, 2019.  With all odds against him he lived an additional one year and eight days with amputation, love, and prayer.  I was honored to be his mom, and I have never been so proud!  He will live forever in my Heart!

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

17 June 2020 - 11:37 am

Sorry the blog is Life of Brownie, and under share your story it's 'My Beloved Brownie"

My Beautiful Beloved Brownie was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma on February 26, 2019.  With all odds against him he lived an additional one year and eight days with amputation, love, and prayer.  I was honored to be his mom, and I have never been so proud!  He will live forever in my Heart!

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

Virginia

17 June 2020 - 2:08 pm

OMD!!!  I AM SO IN LOVE WITH LADY!!  I'M  SMOOCHING THAT SWEET FROSTY MUZZLE RIGHT THRU THE SCREEN!!!  I love Tripawds with frosty. muzzles!❤   She's a sunbathing beauty!

So glad you are seeing so e of the sparkle come back, especially  this early!!

And we can't  say it enough around here, "prognosis achmognosis"!  Statistics never take into account t the individual  dog and all their uniqueness.  As you can see from the posts, Brow ie and Jerry didn't  listen to "statistics" and Lady isn't  listening  either!

FWIW, I was told my Hapoy Hannah had lymph node i"involvement"   She didn't listen.  I didn't  listen.  She had a glorious extended bonus time of over a year and two months!

THE most important  gift you can give to yourself and to Lady, is to live in the moment and make each mom more spectacular  than the previous moment!!!   Be More Dog !  No worries about the tomorrows, all that matters is the NOW!

And ahhhh....don't  tell a yone here I told you this, but a teeny tiny scoop of organic ice cream every now and then won blow her diet!

Hugs

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

On The Road

17 June 2020 - 2:58 pm

Awwww she is soooooo smoochable! I love her! Thank you for sharing the photos, you did great 🙂

How is she today?

Here is Brownie's Forum Topic:

https://tripawd.....ed-brownie

and his blog:

https://lifeofb.....pawds.com/

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

17 June 2020 - 3:16 pm

Thanks Jerry! I wondered how that worked. lol

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

17 June 2020 - 7:05 pm

Thanks everyone!!! She is such a love bug 😍 Thank you for sharing Brownie’s information. My family really loved hearing about a dog similar to Lady, and she was beautiful!!!!! Lady’s doing good! She was a bit more lethargic today but we got the harness (YAY!) and when I put it on her for her bathroom break she definitely felt stronger and moved a bit faster today. She falls sometimes if she tries to get up on her own, mostly when she’s getting up too fast because someone opened the fridge, LOL.

Quick question, I’m being a bit of a helicopter mom, but we had a white tee shirt on her today and there was a bit of blood on it. Not a lot and not very red, but the bottom of her incision looks a bit raw. Is there any kind of cream or vitamin we could use? Is a little bit of blood normal with this type of incision? 

Oh and another question, sorry! It says 3-4 bathroom breaks a day for these 1st 2 weeks, but what if sometimes she moves on her own in the room she’s in. Is that too much activity? 

Thank you!! 

18 June 2020 - 1:28 pm

Ugh!! Ok, I totally came here to vent, but I've been posting pictures of Lady on my Instagram because I am so proud of her and I love her, and I have one person in particular who is being SO NEGATIVE on my posts. He keeps posting sad faces and I posted a video of her WALKING ON HER OWN TODAY! and he comments "this poor dog" I mean... really? Why is this person so insistent on making me feel guilty for doing this? I am torn between deleting it or explaining to him that if he did some research he would realize there's no reason to feel bad for my dog at all...

Has any one else dealt with comments from people like this after surgery?

Virginia

18 June 2020 - 2:31 pm

Ohhhh yeah, ma y have gotten snarky  comments from the uninformed, judgemental people!  We actually have a thread on here of th9ngs that have been said and some great responses.  I'll find it and post the link.

FWIW and just my 2 cents.  Do  NOT cave!  You have a wonderful story of celebration to share about Lady, not to mention great picturea!  Ypu never know who Lady is reaching  with her journey.  Ypu never know who you are touching  with jer story of courage and your story of the deep loving bond you two share.  

I would DEFINITELY  continue  sharing how well she is doing and how cery proud of her you are.  IGNORE him, continue to piff him off with how happy you are you did this FOR her and not TO her!!

The only little response  I might consider making is...

"Gee, I hope if you ever have to have an amputation,  no one in your.           family euthanizes you!!!"😫😭

Hugs

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

Virginia

18 June 2020 - 2:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Here's the link .....

https://tripawd.....om/forums/

Well craaaap....I can't  get the eight one to copy..user error.....but the thread starts out "What is wrong with people.........and it's in Anyhing goes.....

A TECHIE will come amd ind it!!

On The Road

18 June 2020 - 2:40 pm

Hey there sorry Missed your posts earlier, I've had a crazy 24 hours.

YAY for Lady moving around on her own! That's fantastic! smiley_clapWe are so proud of her, and your great attitude as well. I'm glad the harness is helping you to help her. Things are looking up!

To answer your questions:

we had a white tee shirt on her today and there was a bit of blood on it. Not a lot and not very red, but the bottom of her incision looks a bit raw. Is there any kind of cream or vitamin we could use? Is a little bit of blood normal with this type of incision? 

This is probably a seroma , an accumulation of body fluid build up that leaks out. They are very common in new Tripawds. As long as it's more watery and pinkish than bloody, and it doesn't smell funky or look green or cloudy, it's probably just fine. The raw area on the incision is something you want to let your vet know about. Take a photo and send it to them so they can decide if it may need an extra course of antibiotics. It probably doesn't but better to be safe. Oh and don't put anything on it until you talk to them OK? You may make it worse by doing so.

It says 3-4 bathroom breaks a day for these 1st 2 weeks, but what if sometimes she moves on her own in the room she’s in. Is that too much activity? 

It depends on what kind of activity she's doing. Is she running and jumping and always up? Or is she just trying to get comfortable and moving around to different corners? Your goal is to get her to have minimal movement without being totally confined to a crate, just keep things chill and take her out on leash so she doesn't decide to chase a pesky skwirrel or something.

Being a helicopter mom is totally fine right now, better to be a bit paranoid, for her sake.

Has any one else dealt with comments from people like this after surgery?

First, I'm sorry that Mr. Negativity is not being supportive. Block him. And don't worry when you're here, because nobody will ever do that to you. Social media...ugh! Makes me cray cray sometimes smiley7

Yes, there are negative people who cannot see the pawsitive in how strong and amazing she is. They may be friends and family who feel that way or they may be social media jerks. This is a time when you find who the real dog or cat people are in your life. Feel sorry for them, but it's best to not waste time trying to convince them, because you probably won't change their mind if they're that superficial. Just avoid that kind of bad energy right now, you and Lady don't need that in your life.  Hope this helps!

P.S. I may have missed it earlier but what's your Instagram name?

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

18 June 2020 - 3:32 pm

She falls sometimes if she tries to get up on her own, mostly when she’s getting up too fast because someone opened the fridge, LOL.

That made me laugh so hard!!! icon_lol Dear sweet Lady, you are so beautiful and clearly food-focused. As Lady develops her balance she will dazzle you with her speed in getting up to ensure she doesn't miss anything coming out of the fridge. I have a cat Eli who loves eating and he can be asleep in another part of the house but ends up at my feet if I take a can opener out of the drawer! 

To manage Eli's girth I weigh out his food every day and if he gets a treat (I call it a snack) it'll be a few kibbles from his daily allotment. I feed it to him by hand in a different part of the house and that seems to satisfy him.

I had no negativity with my tripawd Mona and some friends who don't even love cats tell me they love Mona. I think tripawds personality shines threw. I remember someone here said their cat lost a leg at the vet clinic and came home with a stronger personality.

You'll learn who your friends are and who you want in your life. 

Kerren and Tripawd Kitty Mona

18 June 2020 - 4:43 pm

Lady and Brownie are so much alike. They both defiantly know what the frig is. Thanks to Sally, once I introduced him to ice cream he knew what the freezer was. lol

Don't let the negative people get to you. It's their own stupidity.  You didn't take Lady's leg, cancer did. Cancer may have took her leg but it can't take her spirit!

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

18 June 2020 - 4:52 pm

Thank you for your kind words everyone!!! All of this made me me feel SOOO much better 🙂 

We've been taking a picture of her incision every day, just to compare in case things start to change. It helps to kind of alleviate some of the paranoia when we think something looks different. The fluid is watery and pink and no strange smells. I will call the vet and ask about the rawness. Thank you!

As for her movement, she's mostly just trying to get comfortable. Some days (not all), she gets up and walks around a bit. I'll share the post I put on Instagram that Mr. Negative had to chime in on. By the way, my username is @ErinRSullivan. But that type of movement is mostly all she does, no jumping or running.

Funny story...we've been taking her out in the backyard for bathroom breaks and then we'll lay on a big blanket for a while so she can enjoy the fresh air. Today our neighbor got stuck trying to climb out of his second story window onto the porch roof (it was REALLY FUNNY!). He yelped about how he was stuck and Lady barked!!! It's the first time she's barked since surgery!!!

Here's the video I posted of Lady moving this morning:

18 June 2020 - 5:00 pm

She looks great! Live the sweater.  You mentioned she falls when getting up. Is she in the bed. I know Brownie would always fall when using a soft bed, so we switched to a firm bed, and it didn't happen anymore.  On the soft bed he would loose his balance. Just a thought.

She looks like she is coming along great. Wait a couple weeks, and she is going to surprise you.

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: Victoria_3, antonia
Guest(s) 263
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1268
Members: 17736