Recommended Books, Websites, Support Groups and More!
Helpful Websites About Dog and Cat Amputation, Pet Cancer and General Health Tips
Support Groups and Forums for Cats, Dogs or Both:
- DOGS & CATS: Share your story and get fast feedback from members in the Tripawds Discussion Forums.
- DOGS & CATS: Learn How to Get Affordable, Awesome Veterinary Care for Your Tripawd
- DOGS & CATS: Find more help in the Pets with Cancer support group.
- DOGS: Visit Bone Cancer Dogs for information about osteosarcoma and bone cancers.
- DOGS: Join Cassie’s Three-Legged Dog Club — the place for Three-Legged Dogs and the People Who Love Them
- DOGS: Lessons from a Paralyzed Dog offers tips and support for dogs with paralysis.
- DOGS: Get information, resources and canine cancer support at Georgia’s Legacy.
- CATS: The Vaccine Associated Sarcoma (VAS) Support Group helps cat owners coping with VAS in their feline.
- CATS: Learn about Vaccine Associated Sarcoma Amputation for Cats at the Pet Cancer Center.
- CATS: The Cat Cancer Support Group is for anyone coping with a feline cancer diagnosis.
- The Tripawds e-book library is the go-to place for Tripawd dog surgery, recovery and post-amputation fitness tips.
- Find out what to expect for your three-legged dog with Colorado State University expert Dr. Duerr.
- Get the details on Limb Amputation in Dogs and Cats from the Michigan Ave. Animal Hospital.
- Cat pawrents learn about life on three legs from International Cat Care article “Owning a Cat with an Amputated Limb.”
- Discover more information about Limb Amputation in Cats from Petplace.com.
- Read this PDF about management of Phantom Limb Pain in Tripawd Dogs, by TC Wait of Colorado.
- The American College of Veterinary Surgeons has great information and tips about dealing with your dog’s amputation surgery and recovery.
- Need help paying emergency vet bills? download this PDF of organizations who might be able to help.
- Handicapped Pets: “Canine Amputation – Tripod Dog”
Support the Tripawds Foundation to Keep These Resources Available!
Pet Loss Grief Support:
- Get free help before, during and after terminal illness with the Day By Day Pet Caregiver Support Group (online chats and in-person support circles located in the East Coast, USA)
- Get free help from professionally trained volunteers in pet bereavement counseling from the Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement. Includes a live chat, discussion and more.
- Colorado State University’s Argus Institute offers nationwide counseling for anyone experiencing challenges surrounding their pet’s health care.
- UK residents may be especially comforted at the Ralph Site, a pet loss support community founded by emergency care veterinarian Shailen Jasani.
- Author Moira Anderson Allen, M.Ed. has two great articles about pet loss Defining “Quality of Life” and Ten Tips on Coping with Pet Loss.
- The University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine has a Pet Loss and Bereavement for Pet Owners section on their website.
- For a list of veterinary hospice care resources and grief support counselors, visit Land of Pure Gold Foundation’s Vet Hospice Care page (scroll down about halfway).
- Additional pet loss insight can be found at “Grieving the Loss of a Pet”
Physical Aids for Challenged Dogs and Cats:
- Check out the Tripawds Gear blog for lots of ways you can help your Tripawd live strong.
- Research when and how wheelchairs can help Tripawd dogs and cats.
- Ruff Wear is where Jerry got his helpful support dog harness.
- Eddie’s Wheels makes wheelchairs for dogs of all sizes including front wheel carts for forelimb amputees.
- Learn Lessons from a Paralyzed Dog to cope with pet paralysis, mobility problems and geriatric care.
Prosthetics and Orthotic Braces:
Pet Cancer Tips and Treatments:
- Dr. Sue Ettinger gives the latest treatments when amputation is not an option.
- Rainbow’s Bridge has a good page explaining cancer and chemotherapy options.
- Veterinary Partners answers questions about osteosarcoma in dogs.
- The American College of Veterinary Surgeons features information about bone tumors in dogs and cats..
- The Canadian Veterinary Journal discusses the uses and benefits of Palliatve Radiation Therapy for osteosarcoma.
- A great general information site about pet cancer is The Pet Cancer Center.
- Cat parents can learn about Vaccine Associated Fibrosarcoma and Amputation in Cats at VeterinaryPartner.com.
- Australian members will find CanineCancer.org.au full of helpful information about pet cancer.
- Land of Pure Gold Foundation, has awesome information on canine cancer diagnosis, treatments, what to expect and giving programs for financial assistance.
- www.oncolink.com includes in-depth coverage of bone tumors in dogs and quality of life assessment.
- An overview of Histiocytic Diseases in Dogs (Canine Histiocytosis)
- Learn about Stereotactic Radiation Therapy (SRT) to treat limb osteosarcoma.
- The vets at North Carolina State describe Testing Limb-sparing Implants to Fight Canine Osteosarcoma.
- Be your dog’s hero, help Chase Away K9 Cancer!
Pet Cancer Holistic Treatment Alternatives:
- Fight your dog’s cancer with K9 Immunity medicinal mushroom holistic therapy.
- Holistic Dog: Links for Canine Wellness and Natural Treatments of Ailments
- Find cancer information, diet and supplement tips at DogAware.
- Discover vet-approved holistic cancer treatments at a Path with Paws, presented by Dr. Lena McCullough, DVM and certified veterinary acupuncturist.
- More holistic veterinarian-approved resources are found at MyHolisticPetVet.
- For a great summary of Treating Cancer and Immune Support systems, see this summary of the Hoxsey and Essaic Formula Holisitic treatments.
- The Animals and Artemisinin Yahoo Group exists to support those seeking alternative cancer therapy with Artemisinin, also known as qinghaosu.
- Help Your Dog Fight Cancer is a website with lots of resources, based on Laurie Kaplan’s books about canine cancer.
Find Holistic Veterinarians and other Health Practitioners for Dogs and Cats:
- Find a holistic veterinary medical provider at the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association website directory.
- Locate acupuncture specialists in your area at the American Academy of Veterinary Acupuncture website..
- More acupuncture specialists in your area can be located at the Chi Institute of Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine..
- Find international acupuncture specialists at the International Veterinary Acupuncture Society.
Find Certified Veterinary Rehab Vets and Techs:
- Free Rehab for New Tripawds: Get details about reimbursement for your consultation from the Tripawds Foundation through the Maggie Moo Fund for Tripawd Rehab. (Limited time trial program.)
- Learn about canine rehabilitation certification from the Canine Rehabilitation Institute.
- Find a certified canine or feline rehab therapist (CCRP or CCRT) near you with the CRI Find a Therapist Directory.
- Find a certified canine or feline rehab therapist (CCRP) from the University of Tennessee Directory.
- Learn about the American Association of Rehabilitation Veterinarians (AARV).
- Find a Rehabilitation Veterinarian (CCRT, CCRP, CERP, and VMRT).
- In the UK? Find a physio therapist from The Institute of Registered Veterinary and Animal Physiotherapists.
General Health Care Tips for Tripawds:
- Make the Tripawds Nutrition Blog your first stop in learning about Tripawd and general pet health
- Shirley’s Wellness Cafe is huge resource for lots of dog and cat health and pet cancer information.
- The Dog Food Advisor can help you pick the best food for your dog.
- BARF for Beginners by NJ Boxers, answers the Top 50 questions about the BARF diet for dogs.
- A handy Cat and Dog “BSA / Dosage Calculator” for determining drug dosages.
Veterinary Clinical Trials:
The following organizations* also conduct canine cancer clinical trials:
- Animal Clinical Investigation, Washington DC
- Veterinary Cancer Care Clinic, Santa Fe NM
- Veterinary Cancer Group, Southern CA
- Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge LA
- The Animal Medical Center, NY, NY
- The University of California at Davis
- Colorado State University at Fort Collins
- University of Florida at Gainesvile
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- University of Missouri at Columbia
- North Carolina State University at Raleigh
- Ohio State University at Columbus
- University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia
- Purdue University in Indiana
- University of Tennesseee at Knoxville
- Washington State University at Pullman
- University of Wisconsin at Madison
- Australia: CanineCancer.org.au State Guide to clinical trials
*This list is subject to change, please contact Tripawds with any updates.
Find More Financial Resources for Help Paying Vet Bills in the Tripawds Downloads Blog!
Advocacy and Fundraising Campaigns:
- Please support The Tripawds Foundation to help improve the lives of our three-legged dog and cat heroes.
- Be a Tripawds Advocate! Print your own free cards and flyers and displays to spread the word in your hometown.
- We love the Morris Animal Foundation for their work in finding causes and cures of pet cancer through veterinary research programs.
- The Puppy Up Foundation (formerly 2MillionDogs.org) is furthering comparative oncology studies to uncover links between human and pet cancers.
- Our friends at Greyhounds Rock support canine cancer treatment and research.
Pet Blogs and Other Stuff for All Animal Lovers:
- Browse the Tripawds Featured Blogs for the latest news, gear reviews, nutrition tips, fun gifts and more!
- The Tripawds Gifts Blog is your headquarters for fun gifts for Tripawd pets and people.
- Tripawds Three Legged Cat and Dog Blogs chronicle the amazing lives of our resilient members.
- Christine Davis’ Lighthearted Press offers a selection of magical books celebrating people and their animal companions.
These Resources Are Made Possible by Your Support of the Tripawds Foundation.