Books, Websites, Support Groups and More About Dog and Cat Amputation
Helpful Websites About Pet Amputation, Cancer and General Health Tips
Support Groups and Forums for Cats, Dogs or Both:
- DOGS & CATS: Share your story and get fast feedback from members in the Tripawds Discussion Forums.
- DOGS & CATS: Learn How to Get Affordable, Awesome Veterinary Care for Your Tripawd
- DOGS: Lessons from a Paralyzed Dog offers tips and support for dogs with paralysis.
- CATS: Learn about Vaccine Associated Sarcoma Amputation for Cats at the Pet Cancer Center.
- The Tripawds e-book library is the go-to place for Tripawd dog and cat amputation surgery, recovery and fitness tips.
- Find out what to expect for your three-legged dog with Colorado State University expert Dr. Duerr.
- Get the details on Limb Amputation in Dogs and Cats from the Michigan Ave. Animal Hospital.
- Cat parents learn about life on three legs from International Cat Care article “Owning a Cat with an Amputated Limb.”
- Discover more information about Limb Amputation in Cats from Petplace.com.
- Read this PDF about management of Phantom Limb Pain in Tripawd Dogs, by TC Wait of Colorado.
- The American College of Veterinary Surgeons has great information and tips about dealing with your dog’s amputation surgery and recovery.
Support the Tripawds Foundation to Keep These Resources Available!
Pet Loss Grief Support:
- Get free help before, during and after terminal illness with the Day By Day Pet Caregiver Support Group (online chats and in-person support circles located in the East Coast, USA)
- Get free help from professionally trained volunteers in pet bereavement counseling from the Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement. Includes a live chat, discussion and more.
- Colorado State University’s Argus Institute offers nationwide counseling for anyone experiencing challenges surrounding their pet’s health care.
- UK residents may be especially comforted at the Ralph Site, a pet loss support community founded by emergency care veterinarian Shailen Jasani.
- Author Moira Anderson Allen, M.Ed. has two great articles about pet loss Defining “Quality of Life” and Ten Tips on Coping with Pet Loss.
- The University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine has a Pet Loss and Bereavement for Pet Owners section on their website.
- For a list of veterinary hospice care resources and grief support counselors, visit Land of Pure Gold Foundation’s Vet Hospice Care page (scroll down about halfway).
Physical Aids for Challenged Dogs and Cats:
- Check out the Tripawds Gear blog for lots of ways you can help your Tripawd live strong.
- Research when and how wheelchairs can help Tripawd dogs and cats.
- Ruff Wear is where Jerry got his helpful support dog harness.
- Eddie’s Wheels makes wheelchairs for dogs of all sizes including front wheel carts for forelimb amputees.
Prosthetics and Orthotic Braces for Tripawd Dogs and Cats
Pet Cancer Tips and Treatments:
- Dr. Demian Dressler’s comprehensive Dog Cancer Survival Guide walks you through the cancer treatment journey.
- Dr. Sue Ettinger gives the latest treatments when amputation is not an option.
- Rainbow’s Bridge has a good page explaining cancer and chemotherapy options.
- Veterinary Partners answers questions about osteosarcoma in dogs.
- The American College of Veterinary Surgeons features information about bone tumors in dogs and cats..
- The Canadian Veterinary Journal discusses the uses and benefits of Palliatve Radiation Therapy for osteosarcoma.
- A great general information site about pet cancer is The Pet Cancer Center.
- Cat parents can learn about Vaccine Associated Fibrosarcoma and Amputation in Cats at VeterinaryPartner.com.
- Australian members will find CanineCancer.org.au full of helpful information about pet cancer.
- Land of Pure Gold Foundation, has awesome information on canine cancer diagnosis, treatments, what to expect and giving programs for financial assistance.
- www.oncolink.com includes in-depth coverage of bone tumors in dogs and quality of life assessment.
- An overview of Histiocytic Diseases in Dogs (Canine Histiocytosis)
Pet Cancer Holistic Treatment Alternatives:
- Diet is one of the most important things you can do for cancer dogs. See Tripawd Hero diet tips for great examples.
- Fight your dog’s cancer with K9 Immunity medicinal mushroom holistic therapy.
- Find cancer information, diet and supplement tips at DogAware.
- Discover vet-approved holistic cancer treatments at a Path with Paws, presented by Dr. Lena McCullough, DVM and certified veterinary acupuncturist.
- More holistic veterinarian-approved resources are found at MyHolisticPetVet.
- For a great summary of Treating Cancer and Immune Support systems, see this summary of the Hoxsey and Essaic Formula Holisitic treatments.
- Help Your Dog Fight Cancer is a website with lots of resources, based on Laurie Kaplan’s books about canine cancer.
Find Holistic Veterinarians and other Health Practitioners for Dogs and Cats:
- Find a holistic veterinary medical provider at the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association website directory.
- Locate acupuncture specialists in your area at the American Academy of Veterinary Acupuncture website..
- More acupuncture specialists in your area can be located at the Chi Institute of Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine..
- Find international acupuncture specialists at the International Veterinary Acupuncture Society.
Find Certified Veterinary Rehab Vets and Techs:
- Free Rehab for New Tripawds: Get details about reimbursement for your first consultation from the Tripawds Foundation through the Maggie Moo Fund for Tripawd Rehab.
- Find an animal rehabilitation therapist (CCRT) from the Canine Rehabilitation Institute.
- Find a canine or feline rehab therapist (CCRP) from the University of Tennessee Directory.
- Learn about the American Association of Rehabilitation Veterinarians (AARV).
- Find a Rehabilitation Veterinarian (CCRT, CCRP, CERP, and VMRT).
- Use the Interactive map at VitalVet.org to Find a Veterinary Rehab Professional Near You.
- In the UK? Find a physio therapist from The Institute of Registered Veterinary and Animal Physiotherapists.
General Health Care Tips for Tripawds:
- Make the Tripawds Nutrition Blog your first stop in learning about Tripawd and general pet health
- Shirley’s Wellness Cafe is huge resource for lots of dog and cat health and pet cancer information.
- The Dog Food Advisor can help you pick the best food for your dog.
- BARF for Beginners by NJ Boxers, answers the Top 50 questions about the BARF diet for dogs.
- A handy Cat and Dog “BSA / Dosage Calculator” for determining drug dosages.
Veterinary Clinical Trials:
The following organizations* also conduct canine cancer clinical trials:
- Animal Clinical Investigation, Washington DC
- Veterinary Cancer Care Clinic, Santa Fe NM
- Veterinary Cancer Group, Southern CA
- Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge LA
- The Animal Medical Center, NY, NY
- The University of California at Davis
- Colorado State University at Fort Collins
- University of Florida at Gainesvile
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- University of Missouri at Columbia
- North Carolina State University at Raleigh
- Ohio State University at Columbus
- University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia
- Purdue University in Indiana
- University of Tennesseee at Knoxville
- Washington State University at Pullman
- University of Wisconsin at Madison
- Australia: CanineCancer.org.au State Guide to clinical trials
*This list is subject to change, please contact Tripawds with any updates.
Find More Financial Resources for Help Paying Vet Bills in the Tripawds Downloads Blog!
Advocacy and Fundraising Campaigns:
- Please support The Tripawds Foundation to help improve the lives of our three-legged dog and cat heroes.
- Be a Tripawds Advocate! Print your own free cards and flyers and displays to spread the word in your hometown.
- We love the Morris Animal Foundation for their work in finding causes and cures of pet cancer through veterinary research programs.
- The Puppy Up Foundation is furthering comparative oncology studies to uncover links between human and pet cancers.
- Our friends at Greyhounds Rock support canine cancer treatment and research.
Pet Blogs and Other Stuff for Support After Dog and Cat Amputation Surgery
- Browse the Tripawds Featured Blogs for the latest news, gear reviews, nutrition tips, fun gifts and more!
- The Tripawds Gifts Blog is your headquarters for fun gifts for Tripawd pets and people.
- Tripawds Three Legged Cat and Dog Blogs chronicle the amazing lives of our resilient members.
- Christine Davis’ Lighthearted Press offers a selection of magical books celebrating people and their animal companions.
These Resources Are Made Possible by Your Support of the Tripawds Foundation.