TRIPAWDS: Home to 23119 Members and 2161 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
12.5 YEAR OLD CHOCO LAB, Front Left Leg Amputated June 11TH , 102 POUNDS, Not really able to walk yet
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
On The Road

sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
19 June 2020 - 10:21 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

What a sweetie! I'm so glad we could calm your worries. And I love that you have carpet runners all over the house for her.

Your girl is trying hard and she will get there, it just takes extra time and patience. Our Wyatt Ray 's vet told us recently, at 11 years old his body has to work a lot harder to do things that came easier when he was younger, so it's important to keep that in perspective. We tend to forget that because we're so used to seeing our dogs as they were when they were younger and had four legs.  

Stay strong, pawsitive and keep the negative nellies out of your life. Lady's got this.

In the meantime don't forget to make that rehab appointment OK? I'm not sure I mentioned it before but canine rehab therapy is so helpful for all dogs but especially older big dogs. Plus, the Tripawds Foundation may pay for your first rehab visit so do take advantage of the program as soon as possible.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

19 June 2020 - 10:31 am

Thank you!! She is a sweetie 🙂

I have been looking into firmer beds and will definitely purchase one... I remember reading that somewhere on one of the forums and it does seem like she has a tough time with the bed when she gets up. The carpet runners have been great too, and I'm so glad I went on here and found that out before she came home.

I was planning on mentioning rehab when we go to the vet to get her staples out next week... should I try and get an appointment set up sooner?

The hardest part as of late is when we make dinner. She always comes right into the kitchen and sits there and begs. I have to be vigilant with my family not to give her any table food. I really want to make it easier on her to get around and have her lose some weight, but my family thinks I'm being cruel! Instead of table scraps, during dinner I give her some carrots or apples as a snack so she doesn't feel so denied from us all.

I just hope I'm doing the right things!!!

On The Road

19 June 2020 - 2:10 pm

You are totally doing right by her! You ask great questions and your concerns are valid.

We have some great orthopedic dog beds in the Tripawds Gear blog , check em out!

Make the rehab appointment now, there may be a waiting list. Most therapists want to see a Tripawd within 10 days of surgery. I'm so glad you have this on your list.

I really want to make it easier on her to get around and have her lose some weight, but my family thinks I’m being cruel! Instead of table scraps, during dinner I give her some carrots or apples as a snack so she doesn’t feel so denied from us all.

You are TOTALLY on the right track. Yep, being thinner will make a tremendous difference in how she moves. Did you know that one extra pound on a dog is the equivalent of five extra pounds on a human? Yep! Check out our Tripawds weight loss posts for more interesting tips.

Please tell your family that it is not cruel to want her to move better with less achiness. It's perfectly OK to give her veggies and fruit instead! If she will eat them that is wonderful! Just make sure you stick with pet safe human foods like green beans, carrots, blueberries, banana (no onion, grapes/raisins, avocado, etc). 

Keep up the great work mom! smiley_clap

Virginia

19 June 2020 - 4:12 pm

Any of the geds you select in the Gear blog are goo.  od beds!

Shhhh......I do have a bed suggestion. It's called The Big Barker Bed .  It's,ade especially  for larger dogs.  It's firm enough to stand up on without slipping and sliding.   Made kind of similar to the Tempurpedic  beds for humans.    It IS an investment.  Vut I can assure you ot does not change shape or loose  it's density one bit!!  I still have the one I got for my Happy Hannah seven years ago and it has held up perfectly.  I truly beIieve the way it help relieve pressure points, but with stability,  it helped her recover.  

Okay, off my soapbox!

Oh, and I couldn't  get the cideo of Lady t9mshow up.  It ,at ve because  of a connection  issue on my end, so I'll try later.

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

19 June 2020 - 5:05 pm

Brownie had the Urban Sprawl Bed and loves it! And he could really stretch out. Also, it has a firm side for cool, and a soft side for warmth{but not too soft). It had a handle on it makes it easy to carry from room to room. We even used it in the back of the SUV for vet trips across town. Brownie did hydro therapy and being a lab I really think he liked it. It's an underwater treadmill. Brownie wasn't the fastest tripawd, but he was really never was fast on four. lol...He just liked to stroll and sniff everything. When he ran he looked kinda funny When he was on four. It was like he would do a hop run. When he was a tripawd the faster he hopped the higher he hopped. lol

Lady looks lime she is coming along fine. Need to see more videos please! I can't believe how much Lady and Brownie are alike. They would of made a really cute couple. lol

When I would eat Brownie would give me the sad eyes, and tilt his head. It's so hard to resist. What I would do was after I finished eating I would give him a very small dog treat. But that met less food in the bowl. Did you have time to look up the diet Feed the Dog Starve the Cancer? Another thing I did would dehydrate liver. I would cut into strips. Take green vegetables and put in the food processor and turn into a powder. Cut the liver into strip. Brush with a krill oil and then roll the liver strips in the vegetable powder. dehydrate overnight. All three of my dogs loved it and you know exactly what they are getting.

Give Lady a smooch from us!

My Beautiful Beloved Brownie was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma on February 26, 2019.  With all odds against him he lived an additional one year and eight days with amputation, love, and prayer.  I was honored to be his mom, and I have never been so proud!  He will live forever in my Heart!

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

19 June 2020 - 5:08 pm

The Barker Bed is also a great choice. 

My Beautiful Beloved Brownie was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma on February 26, 2019.  With all odds against him he lived an additional one year and eight days with amputation, love, and prayer.  I was honored to be his mom, and I have never been so proud!  He will live forever in my Heart!

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

Virginia

19 June 2020 - 5:41 pm

Nancy, that's  great what you did with the liver etc  and dehydrated it.  You really did do a good job at keeping him fit.👏

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

20 June 2020 - 7:44 am

Wow, thank you all for the suggestions!!!

Ok, I bought a bed! I got the Ruffwear Urban Sprawl Bed from on here. I also called a rehabilitation center and was able to speak to someone. They said typically they wait until we speak to the oncologist, but if we won’t be able to do that for a few weeks I should call back for the appointment. It sounds like it will be awesome! They said they have the underwater treadmill and heated pool, and like Brownie, Lady loves water. They would have been a cute couple, LOL! The only thing with Covid is we can’t go in the building with her, so it’s going to be hard that first time, but I think once she gets in there and sees she’ll be in the water she will love it. I’ve been reading the “starve the cancer, feed the dog” diet and as much as I can about nutrition. I want to talk to her vet about it as well. The dehydrated liver sounds awesome! I am going to try that ASAP. 

I wonder if I posted the video wrong this time?? I will post more videos of Lady moving around. She is definitely getting stronger by the day. She did the stairs on her own yesterday. She’s such a proud dog; I fear soon we won’t be able to lift or carry her at all without her squirming like she used to. 

20 June 2020 - 8:39 am

Great choice on the bed!  But you will find all products on this site are awesome!  Brownie use to wait for me to go to bed.  But once we got the Urban Sprawl Bed, he would look at me like he was saying "I'm going to bed mom". Then he would hop into the bedroom.  I would check on him about 10 minutes later.  There he would be spread out on his bed with his blanket and pillow sound asleep.

Talking to your oncologist is a good idea before you change Lady's diet.  You are doing a great job by checking all avenues for Lady's care.  Maybe you can get them to video Lady on the treadmill since you can't go in.  That way you will be able to see what her reaction is.

I have only seen one video of lady.  I post my videos on You-tube, then just copy the URL link and paste into the forum.  Can't wait to see more videos!  Just curious, Brownie was very stubrand.  Is Lady Stubrand?

Lady will continue to inspire you everyday.  Brownie taught me so much during his journey, and I know Lady will teach you too!

Labs Rock!

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

Virginia

20 June 2020 - 9:29 am

Awww...cute bedtime story about Brownie3❤

Can't  wait to see Lady on her new bed!  She is a very loved doggy!!

Ypi are doing such a good job of caring for her.  A very lucky Lady indeed👍

Hugs

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

On The Road

20 June 2020 - 10:54 am

Lady is LADY LUCKY! She's so fortunate to have you for a mom, you are so conscientious and doing all the right things to help her get her mojo back 100%. Glad you found a rehab place! Can't wait to see her having a blast in the water. And yes, Tripawds can swim and they don't spin around in circles either icon_lol

She is going to looooove the Ruffwear bed. It's Wyatt Ray 's all time favorite! And thanks for choosing to shop through our store, it means a lot and goes a long way to help keep the community online! You rock! 

Hope you guys have a terrific weekend.

P.S. Not sure why the video wouldn't play here but once I clicked on your avatar and got taken to Twitter it played. Weird. Most people upload videos to YouTube then copy/paste the video Share URL into their forum post, it seems to be the least glitchy.

21 June 2020 - 11:42 am

Hi! What a cute story about Brownie! Thank you all for the show of love for Lady. She is a very lived dog and also a very Stubrand one, haha. 

These past two days have been a little ruff for my girl. She’s whining a lot but when we try to get her to go outside, she doesn’t want to go at all. We were able to get her out twice yesterday but we did use a tiny treat to entice her the second time. Today it’s now 2 pm (last time she went out was 7pm yesterday) and she’s doing a lot of whining but will not get up. 

I’m a little worried about her back legs. Could she be in pain? She’s still on all the medications so nothing has changed outside of her just not seeming to want to go out anymore. I will mention on Friday she hopped up the platforms by herself. We built them over the stairs for her to get inside to make it easier on her instead of going down a set of steep stairs. It was the first time she wasn’t carried or assisted. Could she have over extended herself? I’m a little worried 🙁 

On The Road

21 June 2020 - 2:15 pm

Aww I'm sorry today's not going so great. Has she gone outside yet? If she hasn't urinated she really needs to, a dog shouldn't go more than 12 hours without it. You may need to express her bladder if not. And also has she pooped? I'm wondering if she is maybe constipated? Did she ever whine for anything she wanted before amputation surgery happened?

Yes, she could be in pain but I doubt it's from hopping up the platforms, that seems like a small thing and not very stressful? My guess is that her pain medications need some fine-tuning. That's not unusual at all, many dogs need meds to be increased or decreased depending on their physiology. Call the prescribing vet and let them know what's going on. Be sure to have a complete list of symptoms and duration so they can try to pinpoint the problem on the phone, that way you don't have to take her in.

21 June 2020 - 3:07 pm

Hi, she pooped last night at the same time. I watched the video and am prepared to express her bladder but I am trying to give her the opportunity to go on her own. When I try and lift her butt to stand she just sprawls like saying NOPE. 

I have left a message with the vet. Still waiting to hear back from them about having her oncology appointment the same day she goes in to get the staples removed so she isn’t going there too much. 

And yeah, she used to whine if we ever left her alone. We always thought she had separation anxiety, so it could be that when we leave the room she’s feeling that even more so now? I’m not sure. Other than the whining and not getting up, everything seems fine. She ate this morning and drank some water...

21 June 2020 - 3:51 pm

Hi, Do you think the staples are pinching her? I haven't had this experience, because Brownie had stiches. I have read that some members said the staples were pinching, and once they came out their dog was fine. They all said it was when their dog was getting up and down. But I would definitely ask your vet. Sometimes Brownie's back legs would turn into jello from the pain medication. 

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 315
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17870