TRIPAWDS: Home to 23108 Members and 2159 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
12.5 YEAR OLD CHOCO LAB, Front Left Leg Amputated June 11TH , 102 POUNDS, Not really able to walk yet
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6 July 2020 - 2:53 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

On The Road

6 July 2020 - 10:27 am

WOW she looks great! I can see she is moving around better and looks steadier on her feet. YAY! smiley_clap Thank you so much for sharing. 

Sending you Q&A questions this week. She is has come so far and is such a success story!

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

6 July 2020 - 6:32 pm

Hi Erin,

Lady looks great! And I recognize that bed! She seems to hop on very easily. I'm happy it's working put for her.

Nancy and Angel Brownie

My Beautiful Beloved Brownie was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma on February 26, 2019.  With all odds against him he lived an additional one year and eight days with amputation, love, and prayer.  I was honored to be his mom, and I have never been so proud!  He will live forever in my Heart!

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

6 July 2020 - 6:39 pm

Just a thought, if you say no to chemo have you thought about the Hollostic route? Brownie had ozone therapy. He was fine with it because I could be with him during the treatment. The way I understand it, is cancet can't survive with oxygen. So they draw blood from the neck, and put the blood in a chamber with oxygen. Then they insert the blood back into the dog. It is not painful, and it even seemed to give Brownie a boost of energy. It doesn't kill the cancer, it suppose to slow down the spreading. 

My Beautiful Beloved Brownie was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma on February 26, 2019.  With all odds against him he lived an additional one year and eight days with amputation, love, and prayer.  I was honored to be his mom, and I have never been so proud!  He will live forever in my Heart!

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

Virginia

6 July 2020 - 8:44 pm

Ohhhh  Lady!!!  We are sooooooo proud of you!!  Got a couple of happy tears over here!!!

She had me grinning ear to ear when she fot to that step outside, stopped and waited  knowing  a hooman would be there to help her.  So much trust.....so much love❤

She stood  strong when drinking her water.  I love the sound of dogs slurping their water.  Lady savoured  every slurp!😎

Keep posting  video and pics of this Tripawd RockStar!  We love her!

Hugs

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

7 July 2020 - 7:32 am

Thank you! I will try and take more videos. She is definitely gaining strength and is acting more and more like she did before the surgery. Yesterday I said 'Want to go for a walk???' Something that used to make her jump up and head to the door... and for the first time, she did just that! It was HARD getting her down the front steps. It's too steep I think for her to ever be able to do it on her own? Any advice? Once she got out front, she did a very short walk (basically to the tree in front of our house to sniff) and then made her way around the house and into the backyard where she used the platforms to get back in. She comes into the kitchen a lot more now too. She's no longer hesitant to pop up and see what's going on.

Is this ozone therapy something a vet would do?

They sent over the documents from the oncology appointment. The paperwork said "the median survival time for dogs with osteosarcoma lymph node metastasis is reported as 2 months. Our hope would be to provide Lady with more quality time with chemotherapy, but I do worry that her prognosis is poor and may be shorter that what is reported in the information below. I truly wish we had better news for you and Lady."

Not really my favorite read in the world, but I am trying to keep it in the day and know that every extra day with her is a blessing we would not have had if we didn't opt for the surgery. She's supposed to get her staples out this Thursday and hopefully she finally will!

7 July 2020 - 10:39 am

Yes it was done at Brownie's Hollostic vet. It was the same treatment that Lance Armstrong did. My vet was Veterans Memorial in Houston if you want to look it up.

I believe the cost was 175 a week for three weeks, then follow up once a month.  Again it does not cure, but it slows down the spreading. Will also give her a boost of energy. After Brownie's first treatment he wanted to play tug for the first time since surgery. Hope this helps.

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

On The Road

7 July 2020 - 12:58 pm

Wow I'm so happy she wanted to go for a walk! That is awesome!

It was HARD getting her down the front steps. It’s too steep I think for her to ever be able to do it on her own? Any advice?

I think once she can wear the harness again, it will make a huge difference in her being able to do the stairs. With you holding the handle and guiding her down, she should be able to do it. And once she can get into rehab therapy, that will help strengthen her so that she is more agile and able to do things like that. 

I'm sorry about the prognosis, I know it's a heartbreaker. But as a wise member here once said "Dogs don't have an expiration date stamped on their butts!" Prognosis schmognosis, you keep up with that great attitude and focus on the here and now, because that's exactly what Lady is doing and all she wants of you in return. Together you can tackle each day with love and pawsitivity, and don't worry about the next because nothing is guaranteed, even with a pathology report. You've got this! sp_hearticon2

Virginia

7 July 2020 - 2:11 pm

Yeah, we definitely  don't  pay much attention  to statistics  around here.  No way they can take in the make up of the individual  dog.   "Supposedly'" my Happy Hannah had lymph node involvement.  "Supposedly" that "changed her prognosis'.   Guess what, Happy Hannah didn't  listen and made it plain she wasn't  a statistic!.  One year and two months later she headed  to the Bridge after living large (literally and figuratively)!

So disregard all that back noise about "statistics" and continue  to make every day the best day ever!  Celebrate  her birthday every day, celebrate Christmas every day, give her one scoop of ice cream everyday!

And from the looks of those videos  and from the way you've described her sparkle is showing backup, Lady is glad she's  getting bonus time chock full of so much love, spoiling  and adoration!!❤Seeing her engaged and getting excited  to go for walks is just the best!!!

Hugs

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

9 July 2020 - 1:38 pm

Thanks everyone!!! Lady got her staples out yesterday. Woooo! She has been very energetic lately. Every time she hears the door she thinks it's time for her to go out. I'm hoping once she finishes the antibiotics we can start using the harness to make it easier on those front steps. She ALWAYS goes to that door, but we bring her out the back way. It's easier with the platforms. The vet said she looked really good/ seemed in great spirits. I have to call that rehabilitation center again now that her infection is under control. I think the water part would really make her a happy pup 🙂

9 July 2020 - 5:50 pm

This is a short video of Brownie having Hydro therapy. My phone went dead. I know he was thinking why do they have all this stuff on me. Ruffwear life jacket and noodles. lol

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

Virginia

9 July 2020 - 8:23 pm

YAAAAAA FOR STITCH REMOVAL👏👏👏   So glad to hear how well she is doing!

Nancy you nailed Brownie's thought bubble!!! You gave him the best life❤

On The Road

10 July 2020 - 10:25 am

Woooohohoo! What a great way to start the weekend. She's doing so great!

Yeah call that therapy center, she's almost ready. I can't wait to see her in the water with Angel Brownie splashing right along with her 🙂

10 July 2020 - 3:29 pm

Don't forget to video it. And remember to charge your phone. lol

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

13 July 2020 - 5:42 am

That video was so cute! Brownie did look a lot like Lady! Wow! I left a message and am waiting to hear back. I'm kind of hopeful that Covid restrictions are a bit lighter by the time we have an appointment, and someone can go in with her. We will see. I know she will love this!

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: Matie
Guest(s) 266
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17864
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: