TRIPAWDS: Home to 23119 Members and 2162 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
12.5 YEAR OLD CHOCO LAB, Front Left Leg Amputated June 11TH , 102 POUNDS, Not really able to walk yet
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
18 September 2020 - 5:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Lady is a true lab! Best counter surfers ever! I have never know another breed that loved food so much, and would do anything to get it! And best escape artist indeed. Brownie could jump a four foot fence without a running start. He would just be sitting there and then just jump up to the other side like it was nothing.

So happy to know that Lady is feeling good,and you are embracing each day.

My Beautiful Beloved Brownie was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma on February 26, 2019.  With all odds against him he lived an additional one year and eight days with amputation, love, and prayer.  I was honored to be his mom, and I have never been so proud!  He will live forever in my Heart!

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

21 September 2020 - 5:35 am

Awww Brownie!!! That's impressive to be able to jump so high 🙂 

So it was realllly cold this weekend. It was in the 50s! So no beach for us. With New England weather, I'm sure there will be a few more warm days where we can try. You guys have given me the confidence.

Lady had a lot of accidents on Saturday. We were a bit nervous because she was only having them overnight on occasion, but Saturday she was hardly even trying to go outside. I know the steroid can cause frequent urination, so we've been using treats to get her outside more so she can go. Luckily, since Saturday she hasn't had any more accidents. And other than the accidents, she's still in good spirits and loving life.

I'm going to share a picture I took of her yesterday while we were outside.

https://twitter.....60/photo/1

Virginia

21 September 2020 - 8:38 am

Lady is quite the sunbathing beauty!!  I know she thoroughly  enjoyed soaking up the sun outside.  Smooching that gorgeous  mug right thru the screen😘

Wouldn't worry too much about the pee accidents.  Is she still being treated for a UTI?  Mayve you can take another sample jnto the Vet to see if a different  antibiotic  would help.  And as you said, though,  the Pred can increase urination  with increased drinking, etc. And add being a senior on top of that,  a little bit of incontinence can creep in too.

What matters is she's feeling good and enjoying being the spoiled  Princess that she is!!👍

As far as a video, try pos it on YouTuve first, then you will have the ability  to "copy" it with the little "share" icon.  I know, clear as mud, right?  A TECHIE will come along and give better directions.   Can't  wait to see it!!

Hugs

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

On The Road

21 September 2020 - 11:51 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Awww she's saying "Kiss me!" sf-kiss

I"m glad the accidents have eased up. That's the thing with pred, it can be so helpful but with a few issues like that. As long as the benefits outweigh the downsides it's worth it though. 

Hope you guys get some water time before the real cold weather hits!

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

2 October 2020 - 7:08 am

Hi, the cough came back today very badly and she’s spitting up blood. It came on so quickly. She has been so energetic and happy and we’ve been doing the penny jar and it’s been all good days and I am KICKING MYSELF because she was doing so amazing I did not call laps of love and now nowhere is available to come here and I feel like I have failed Lady because today is so bad and it’s time

New York, NY
2 October 2020 - 9:26 am

Oh, Erin - I'm so sorry!  While things might not go exactly as you might have wished, all Lady cares about is that you love her and are by her side.  Sending hugs and prayers your way.  sp_hearticon2 Stacy

Griffin lived an amazing life for 11 years! Diagnosed with osteosarcoma on March 17, 2020, Griffin's right forelimb was amputated on April 2, 2020. Ten days later he was running and playing fetch! Lung metastasis discovered in July 2020 did not slow down Griffin and he lived joyfully for the next 7 months, passing peacefully at home on February 11, 2021. https://griffin.tripawds.com

2 October 2020 - 9:37 am

Erin I am so sorry to hear about Lady.  I know exactly how you feel.  I contacted Lap of Love when Brownie was first diagnosed, not knowing it would be a year later until I needed them.  I did keep in contact, but at the last minute I found out that they no longer serviced my area.  So I had to drag Brownie to the vet, the place he despised the most.  But in the end the only thing that really mattered is we were together.

How is Lady feeling besides spitting up the blood?

You and Lady are in our prayers!sp_hearticon2sp_hearticon2sp_hearticon2

My Beautiful Beloved Brownie was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma on February 26, 2019.  With all odds against him he lived an additional one year and eight days with amputation, love, and prayer.  I was honored to be his mom, and I have never been so proud!  He will live forever in my Heart!

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

2 October 2020 - 10:57 am

We were able to get a vet to come here. She’s gone now 💔 I’m so glad that she was able to go here and that she’s no longer suffering and I’m sure I’ll have so much more to say but right now I just feel an endless sadness

Virginia

2 October 2020 - 11:30 am

Ohhh nooo!  So very, very, very sorry to read this.  I just now caught up on both posts where she needed "the cisit" and now know uou were able to have the home visit.  I KNOW that will bring you comfort.  Of course, nothing  will right now.

Lady was home and you were surrounding  her with love.  That's all that matters.  She has been surrounded  by your love every single day, every single moment she was with you.  That's all that matters.  The thousands of happy memories  are all that matters.

I'm really at a loss for words right now.  Not that there are ever any words that can help anyway.  I want to come back.  For now though. jist know you gave beautiful  Lady the BEST life any dog could ever hope for.  She knew how loved and adored she was.  She also knew you loved her enough  to give her the gift of release when she was ready. 

Your days and weeks, and even months ahead are going to be hard.  As they say, when we love hard, we grieve hard.  That's  the price we pay.  Yet we would never opt to not have that wonderful  depth of love and joy, just to avoid being sad.  

Lady's light is eternal.  There is a special star in the skies tonight that will twinkle brightly and catch your eye.  

Surrounding  you with Lady's glorious smile and never ending  wagging tail♥️

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie 

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

2 October 2020 - 11:38 am

Erin, I am so sorry!  I'm not going to tell you, you did everything you could, even though you did.  I'm not going to say how much you loved lady, and how much lady loved you, because you already know.

Even though your pain is just beginning, please rejoice in knowing that Lady will never be in pain again.  When Brownie spit up blood I also let him go.  I do believe you did the right thing out of love for your Lady.  You are going to be facing some tough days ahead, but you will get through it.

you and your family are in our prayerssp_hearticon2sp_hearticon2sp_hearticon2

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

On The Road

2 October 2020 - 1:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

sp_hearticon2sp_hearticon2sp_hearticon2Erin, I wish I had the right words to bring you comfort. Just know that you did everything right for your girl, you were such a great mom to her all her life, and especially as she fought that mean cancer. No pup could ever ask for a better family, really. 

I'm so sorry. My heart aches for you, it's never easy to set our fur kids' spirits free. When you are feeling stronger and want to talk, we are here for you.

Tripawd Weight Loss Success Story LadyImage Enlarger

3 October 2020 - 7:13 am

Thank you all for the kind words ❤️ The community that exists here is unmatched. I am so happy that I found this website, this forum, and each of you. I’m so glad that we got almost four amazing bonus months with our girl, and it’s because I found this website. You helped me through all the tough days after amputation. You answered my posts often before the vet even called back. And you helped Lady more than you can ever know in her final months. This community is what convinced us that amputation was the right choice, so, in a way, you each were the angels that gave her more time with us, which I know was all she wanted. 

I woke up this morning and felt that immense, gut wrenching hole only a pet can leave. Each morning I would wake up and start my day saying “Hello Lady!” And so today I did it, even though there was no Lady to say hello to. Yesterday happened so fast, her breathing got so bad, she started spitting up blood, and she could barely make it outside to go to the bathroom. I could tell she was struggling to breath laying down, but she couldn’t stand up long enough to get the air in the lungs she needed. I knew it was time. And when we started calling places for a house visit and no one was available, I started to panic. I couldn’t see her suffer like that. Not my strong, proud, forever puppy. I was praying and praying for our calls to be answered. That we wouldn’t have to take her to the vet, where only 2 people could go in with her. Around 10 AM, someone finally got back to us and said they could come at noon. Even on her final day, the universe was looking out for our Lady.

Her last hours were spent surrounded by all of us. We stayed by her side in shifts, making sure not to cry in front of her but to keep her company and talk as normal families do on a not so normal day. We could tell she was so very tired, but she got up to greet my sister and her children at the door. When I tried to feed her a piece of banana—I always shared my bananas with her—she spit it out. It wasn’t until my father brought her a powdered donut that she took some food. Right up until the end, she couldn’t say no to a special treat. 

Lady was the queen of comforting us. For over a decade, she was the constant in each of our lives. She greeted you at the door the moment you came in, with a look on her face like “Where have you been all my life?” She was my favorite walking buddy. When Covid started and the world slowed down, I started taking her on more and more walks. She kept me active in a world where there was no activity. I used to talk to her on my walks. Usually just about what we were seeing—squirrels, flowers, other doggies. Sometimes I would imagine her turned around and saying “God, do you ever shut up?” I didn’t take a single walk for granted. I know she didn’t either. I’m happy I got those days. 

After her amputation, she did turn back into that puppy you all had promised. She hopped around like a bunny and had more energy than we ever could have imagined in those first few weeks of recovery. It was the best decision we ever made. I am so sure of that now. And I know she fought against that cancer growing inside of her. The vet gave a prognosis of two months, and she made it to almost four. When we took her in for X rays a few weeks ago, and they said days, she just came home and kept counter surfing. She beat all the odds. As you all said, the steroid was a miracle drug for her. It gave us a few more weeks, and they were weeks full of love and treats and time. All we ever want is a little more time with those we love. And we got as much of it as we could with her. I’m forever grateful for that. 

I’ll miss giving her belly rubs. I’ll miss the way when I would stop petting her she would lift her head up and nudge my hand. The lovin’ could not stop! I’ll miss seeing her head pop up over the dinner table while we were eating. I’ll miss sitting on the front lawn with her in the sun—watching her smell the air and smile at the sun. And oh, will I miss coming down the stairs every morning to her happy, smiling face! She taught me so much about patience. About enjoying each and every simple moment because nothing is ever guaranteed.

We had such a wonderful time. 

Loving her was the easiest thing in the world, and losing her will be one of the hardest. I’ll look her for in the stars tonight, and I’ll know I can walk through this because many of you have paved the path of grief before me ❤️

Virginia

3 October 2020 - 11:17 am

I know you were typing this through tears and some smiles too as you remember who Lady is💖   And you did a brilliant  job of paying tribute to this beautiful  Soul and who she is💖   

Make no mistake about it, it is OUR privilege to have been on this journey with sweet Lady and her devoted hoomams.  This girl has inspired, and will continue to do so.  Her legacy, in part, will be statistics or prognosis don't mean crap around here!!!.  Even if a dog beats a statistic  by one day, that's a victory!!!   That's taking that crap down a notch!  And Lady beat the statistics  by months!!! 

LADY GIVES EVERYONE  HOPE AND INSPIRATION.

Thank you for sharing  some of uour day to day glorious  moments with Lady.  The walks, the belly rubs, the way she "communicates" with you....and she will con to do so.  Promise.  Pay attention, she will let you know she is okay and happily counter surfing up at the Rainbow  Bridge. You will feel her energy presence  as you come down the stairs.  Her energy is free and eternal and always by you and within you.   And DEFINITELY  con to talk to her.  She's listening  and can here you.

BYW, The Angel's at the Bridge had some powdered  donuts waiting for her when she arrived.  The send off you gave Lady was beautiful.   Take comfort in that visual of her never turning down a really good treat💖

Sending  you and yoir family so much love

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

20201003_125736.jpgImage Enlarger

3 October 2020 - 12:26 pm

Erin, when I read about Lady it reminds me so much of Browie. Both choc labs. Both the same age, and both had front left leg amputation. Brownie had the exact same systoms that Brownie had in the end. I as well once Brownie spit up blood knew it was time. He was also so tired, and I knew it was time.

As you, when I get up in the morning I speak to Brownie as you speak to Lady. I know it's hard making that gut wrenching decision, but it is truly the last gift we can give them. I'm so happy that you found someone to come to the house, and Lady was surrounded by her loved ones. What a luck dog!

When you are not grieving as much you will feel and see signs from Lady. I promise. I mean she is a choc lab!

We are so happy that you found tripawds and we would love to hear more stories, and see more photos of your beautiful Lady!

So I'm thinking, Brownie and Lady both choc labs, Same age, one is a boy, and one is a girl. I wonder if they are a couple on the bridge. I mean what a adorable couple they would make.

Try to think happy thoughts, and when you feel like crying just let it out.....

We are thinking of you..

Brownie Bubba Bell

04/01/2007 - 03/05/2020

"March Saint"

On The Road

3 October 2020 - 2:27 pm

Lady gave you so much courage Erin. Being able to put your grief aside to come here, to look at the pawsitives of her journey on three and also remember all of the ways in which she made you smile, says so much about how she touched your life. She helped make you the remarkable person you are and I have no doubt that you ARE the person she always hoped you would be. From the day you brought her home, it was her destiny to show you how to make the most of your own earthly journey. She succeeded!

Thank you for allowing us to be part of the last few months. It's never long enough, but rest assured that Lady's legacy will always live on in our hearts and those of anyone who comes here looking for hope. We will miss her, but will never forget. 

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 257
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17871
Moderators: 6