TRIPAWDS: Home to 23092 Members and 2158 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Patches and the trials and tribulations of 2020
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
17 December 2020 - 12:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hello I am new to the group. My dear Patches was a rescue who when we brought him home the poor boy had a terrible skin which is why we called him Patches with scabs and he itchy skin. Some awful human filed his teeth down to nubs the poor dear has been through so much before he came to us.

This past summer I noticed his hair has been thinning and he was drinking an awful lot and he would pee on himself a little bit. plus he was peeing in the house. Through research I thought he may have Cushings which with an ultra sound they found he does have a growth on his Adrenal gland. I started him on some natural herbal stuff called Adrenal support and he has been doing much better as far as the Cushings.

Then my world fell apart. He jumped off the bed ok maybe that doesn't seem dramatic but from that jump everything spiraled out of control. Dear Patches started to limp. I thought maybe he jammed his toe or something I put on an ice pack. I did that for a couple of days when it didn't go  away I brought him to the vet.  She wanted to see him under sedation, ok. Under sedation she had to amputate his toe, ok. There was an infection and she felt that he was bit by a spider. We finally have the infection under control but his other toes have gone necrotic and they say now the whole leg has to go. Its his front left leg.

My dear little Patch is a shih tzu they have bowed front legs. I think he is probably closer to 9.5. years old. With the Cushings he has very thin skin and obviously prone to infection. The hospital I am taking him to I have confidence in them but I am soooo scared! Patches, as my dear husband points out is already not using the leg or as little as possible because we believe it causing discomfort and he probably will do fine I am just sooo scared.

Due to scheduling his not due for the Surgery until Jan. 7th So i get to fret and scroll through these pages for comfort and education. Thanks for listening

On The Road

17 December 2020 - 2:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi and welcome! Your future posts won't need to be approved so post away. I'm sorry you had to join our group (it's the club nopawdy wants to join!) but we are here for you to lean on. It's so crazy that an infection would spread all the way up like that, but it's not unheard of here. 

It does sound like Patches will do well as a Tripawd. Smaller dogs tend to do especially well regardless of their age. The Cushings shouldn't be a factor that affects him being a Tripawd, but I would ask your vet if the condition will pose any risks during the recovery phase (like medications interfering, that sort of thing).

Have you seen Jerry's Required Reading List or the Tripawds e-books library yet? We have tons of tips there! And don't forget to Tripawd-proof your home too, by doing things like adding traction to any slippery floors and creating a safe, small recovery space for Patches. 

Ask any questions you'd like OK? We are here for you!

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Virginia

18 December 2020 - 11:58 am

One thing for sure, even though Patches has had his share of challenges,  you and your husband are the best thing that has ever happened for him!  Thank you for givin him such a loving and caring home♥️

If you feel like a second opinion from an Orthopedic Surgron would give you more reassurance  and  confidence on the path forward, that's  always  an option.  We recommend  that a lot around here.

We cert understand  the fear and uncertainty when first  dealing with the amputation  surgery.  You have def come to the right place for support and understanding  AND lots of first hand knowledge  on how to navigate  thru recovery.   It is MAJOR surgery and recovery  is no picnic  for the first two weeks-ish.  With proper pain management and a slow and easy pace, Patches will soon be his fun loving self again but without  a bum leg!

As your husband noted, he's already almost a professional  tripawd anyway.  And, as Jerry said, the smaller dogs generally adjust to the legs a bit easier  than larger dogs.

Check out the links Jerry gave uou and then let is know any questions  you may have.  

STAY CONNECTED!  YOU ARE NOT ALONE!  We are right here by your side, okay?

Hugs

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

PS. The avatar  pic for Patches is adorable.  We would love to see more pictures!  Here's  a link for 

adding images .

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

21 December 2020 - 10:38 am

Thank you so much for your kind words. It is really helping me to stay positive with Patches who is definitely having pain right now. We are 16 days away from surgery. we are just trying to make him comfortable. He is on antibiotics and Gabapenten so 1 day, 1 breath and I am just trying to educate myself on what I need to do to prepare after recovery. Reading and watching your videos and posts so he can be the best he can be after the surgery.  Truly Patch just loves to be lap dog. 

need to work on adding photos but need to spend more time reading the previous post. 🙂

On The Road

21 December 2020 - 10:55 am

Let your vet know that Patches is hurting OK? They can prescribe some pain management to help him feel better, and if they know he is in pain they may bump up his surgery. Call them today!

If you'd like help adding images just message me and I'll try to walk you through it or share them for you. I'm in the Tripawds Chat right now if you want to talk.

23 December 2020 - 11:04 am

Hello pack friends, 

So I added pictures yesterday to my blog about Patches. Warning scary pics. Tomorrow starts the Christmas celebrations we Italians start celebrating on Christmas Eve, feast of 7 fishes, suppose to represent the 7 sacraments. I just wanted to say Thank you to this community and this website it is really helping me prepare for Patches surgery. This is not something I would have wanted surely but if anything good has come from it is that I have gotten to know this amazing community. We all have a passion for our furry companions and we want what is best for them. So Merry Christmas to all of you and again Thank you. Here is my little love snuggled up and resting. 

thumbnail.jpeg

On The Road

23 December 2020 - 12:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Awwwww he is so smooch-able! He looks all cozy and ready for Santa Paws! 

We are so glad you found us too. Tripawds is a global community and when members join from all over the world it really helps us broaden our experience helping people and pets in different countries. We thank you from the bottom of our heart for allowing us to be part of your journey with Patches.

I love that you are already celebrating Christmas. In the "before times" (pre-pandemic!), my Sardinian brother in law would make baccala for us...YUM! I can't wait to have it again some day.

Buon natale to you, Patches and your family!!!

Italy, Sardinia
23 December 2020 - 3:19 pm

Hi patches's mom!

Your boy is so sweet and adorable.. surrounded by so much love! He looks so peaceful and blissful on his cover.. 

As i can read you're italian too! sp_hearticon2me too, from sardinia 🙂 

I can understand your immense fear at the moment
I've been living through this since November
15th, 
the day lola was diagnosed with osteorsacoma.
There will be good days and bad days! The most 
Important thing will be your attitude and you mood with him.
They can "smell" your mood! So we have to be strong 
And positive for them! You'll see the difference..
Thanks to this beautiful community i've learned to live 
In the present as Lola does! And she's still surprising us
Everyday.. they are so incredible.. 

So keep strong.. 
Vi auguro un felice e sereno Natale!

Tantissime coccole per Patches e
Un abbraccio da me, lola e rudy smiley9
4 January 2021 - 1:11 pm

Hello Gang 

so we are in the final days before surgery and poor little guys is ready to be done. I have noticed that he really is trying not to use the leg that much because it hurts. He is also very grumpy which is not like him. But Mom is so scared but I am as ready as I can be got the sling, towels, and the harness is in the wish list cart. so with a huge lump in my throat but I'm trying not to cry we will be a tripawd come Thursday but I will not see him until Friday. I think that is what kills me I wont be there for him. Dogs forgive better than us, anyway! Thanks for listening guys! 

Virginia

4 January 2021 - 3:54 pm

Sounds like "grumpy"  Patches is ready to get rid of that bum leg!! 

And no worries about Patches noticing than you aren't  there Thursday .  Now, don't get your feelings hurt,  but Patches won't  be missing you...BECAUSE...he will be so high on good pains meds he probably  will think you are right there by his side anyway!!😎

Eat lots of chocolate,  stay connected.  Patches  is going to feel so much better soon!

Hugs

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

On The Road

4 January 2021 - 6:43 pm

Awww I know this is a super scary time for you guys. But hang in there because once Patches realizes that his horrible pain is gone, he will be such a happy dog! And sure, he'll be high and wonky for a bit, but that is a small price to pay for no more bad leg. You are ready, you are strong and you got all your information necessary to have a successful recovery, you can do this! smiley_clap

Lean on us and whatever questions you think of this week don't hesitate to ask OK? Keep us posted and give that sweetheart extra smooches from all of us. We are thinking of you and sending massive pawsitivity your way.

5 January 2021 - 11:54 am

Thank you all. I know this might sound silly, but its the crazy things that worry me. How is the poor thing going to hop. how about pooping. I know he not going to get in the squatting position.  I know he will figure it out. I know i'm just worrying but its what I do. Pray and worry. 

Thank you again 

Virginia

5 January 2021 - 12:11 pm

Not silly at all!!

Actually, you'd be surprised how they figure out pooping!  Some will still squat and some will do it more in a standing  up position.   Patches will figure out what works best for him in no time.  Promise!👍👍👍

On The Road

5 January 2021 - 1:34 pm

We totally get it! Of course you'll worry, that's what humans do. But the important thing to remember is that saving your energy for things you can control right now instead of things that may or may not happen, is the best way to show Patches that you are the strong pack leader who is going to make his recovery as easy as possible. So, do your best to put the worries aside and focus on how you'll respond when he comes home. You'll want it to be happy, optimistic and hopeful to give him the best shot at an easy recovery. You can do this!

Italy, Sardinia
7 January 2021 - 3:48 am

sp_hearticon2 today i pray for you and patches and for my lola! Please update us as soon as u can! 

Sending you all my love and support! sp_hearticon2

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: Andy_2
Guest(s) 201
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17847
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3