TRIPAWDS: Home to 23112 Members and 2159 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Patches and the trials and tribulations of 2020
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
7 January 2021 - 1:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hello Tripawds gang, 

Just got the call from the vet he is out from surgery. Basically he said he made through the hard part and he is in recovery. We can call and check on him later tonight wish it could be a video call. The vet is saying I can probably take him home tomorrow. From his lips to God's ears I just want to hold the little bugger. So I know some of you have more than 1 dog. So do I so our other fur kid is Named Groucho ( for Groucho Marx) He makes us laugh all the time he is the silly one out of the 2. Today he has been searching for him all day. He is either at the window which is not terribly unusual but he laying in weird spots. I think its more that someone is missing from the pack than missing him in particular. But I am curious how he is going to react. Anybody have comments with siblings? The other 2 images is last night with Patch.

IMG_1756.jpg

On The Road

7 January 2021 - 9:09 pm

YAY Patches!

That's terrific he made it through surgery, we'll keep our paws crossed that he gets to come home tomorrow. 

Anybody have comments with siblings? 

As for siblings, well we've always been a one dog pack so I'll let others with multiple dogs in the family answer that one OK? Check out this one post for some ideas:

https://tripawd.....ck-to-work

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Virginia

7 January 2021 - 9:37 pm

YAAAAAY!!!  Surgery is done!!!

His pictures are so darn cute!  And Groucho  Marx is quite handsome!

My experience with Happy Hannah and my "other" dog Bodie when she came home from surgery was non eventful.  If I recall, I took Bodie with me when I went to pick  her up. I think I put Bodie out in the yard while I brought  Happy Hannah in and Dave her a few minites to "decompress".  In my case, I think Bodie sensed she needed to rest and pretty much just let her be.

I think most people find the homecoming to be pretty much a non event.  Just some sniffing and and that was a out it.

That said, I think  when  long time member Karen  brought her Pug home, the other Pug  was a little....er....combative with her for a few minutes.

Can't  wait for the homecoming!  Try and get some rest.

Hugs

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

Italy, Sardinia
8 January 2021 - 11:10 am

Hi Patches' Mom. 

Hope everything is gettin well and Patches is home now. 

Groucho is adorable too and i think he'll be a great support to Get Patches back to normal. 

Please update us as soon as you can. 

send you all big hugs and lots of love from Sardinia sp_hearticon2

12 January 2021 - 1:06 pm

Hello friends, 

So we are home and not doing too terrible. I am using a sling to help him get around. I am trying to teach him to move the back legs first then the front he keeps trying it the other way and down he goes. He is able to stand longer today then the day before as well as sit up which he wasn't doing at all initially. He is eating and peeing  which I am thankful. As I wrote in the blog his incision looks really good I am really impressed with what the surgeon did he used dis-solvable sutures which are under the skin and then he glued the skin on top. The pictures below are when we picked up from the hospital, the incision from when we got home, his little tumble he had today, while I took Mr. Groucho out, the boys next to each other after Patch got home from the hospital. So I have hard wood floors and my father in law lives with us and throw rugs are trip hazards for seniors but Patch is definitely slipping so I was thinking about the toe threads. I know on the forum some people used Dr. buzby's toe things has anyone tried the others? I asked the surgeon he thought it wasn't a bad idea to try, what do you guys think?   

IMG_1762-1-768x1024.jpg

Virginia

12 January 2021 - 2:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Patches will figure things out at his own pace and in his own way.  YSY for eating and peeing!!! Standing on his own and bring sble in  get in sitting position  wonderful news!!!

Yes,  its get him some traction asap.  Is it possible  to use a couple of the heavier yoga mats u til you can figure out an alternstive???  

Can also check into PAWZ.  They are like a rubber balloon over the feet.  Can't  be left on too long though as they are tight st the cuff to keep them on.

Others willchine j  about the toe grips, how to pit on, their effectiveness,  etc.

You're doing a great job!!

Hugs 

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

PS.  incision  looks great.....and Patches lookx adorable!!!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

On The Road

12 January 2021 - 7:29 pm

I loved the update on the blog and I'm so glad you asked here:

I know on the forum some people used Dr. buzby’s toe things has anyone tried the others? 

Yes, get them. Follow the instructions for measuring very closely though, and you may want to order two sizes just to be safe.

Meanwhile put something like Pawz booties on him to give him better footing. Just take them off at night though, they're not an all-day thing.

We had the same situation with our Wyatt Ray , when we were living with my parents late last year. Throw rugs and anything on the floor in an elderly person's home are dangerous, and that meant Wyatt was having a very hard time on their floors. It broke my heart, but the Toe Grips were super helpful. The only downside is that you will need to 1) keep Patches nails a little longer than usual so the grips can make contact with the floor, 2) you need to glue them on or they will pop off because Tripawds have a funky gait that causes them to do that, and 3) taking them off for a nail trim is a bear so use just a drop of glue. 

Let us know how they work out OK? A couple of links for you:

https://gear.tr.....ction-tip/

https://gear.tr.....r-tripawd/

https://gear.tr.....n-boots/ 

13 January 2021 - 9:36 am

Hello Gang, 

So before we had the amputation I bought the Pawz rubber booties and tried them when I saw he was trying to stand. If the dog had teeth i would be bandaged at this time. I got them on but getting them off was a challenge then trying to get them on again. Patch was not having it. so booties didn't really work. I was reading about the toe threads and I liked the idea that they were caps on the nail. and they only come off for clippings which I do for my dogs so I can handle that part. So Amazon here I come:)

So something new has anybody find bruises or a spot on their dogs other limbs after the amputation. I think part of it is due to his Cushing Diagnosis with this condition they bruise really easy. He has taken a couple of hard landings when trying to lay down. I found on Patch this bruise on his right rear leg, His amputation was his left front. 

Also have to share the cute picture of my dear Groucho who keeps trying to comfort Patches.

On The Road

13 January 2021 - 1:31 pm

Oh yikes so sorry the Pawz didn't work out! The Grips should be better though since you don't have to change them every day. Let us know.

I'm not sure about that bruise, it's hard to tell. I would send the biggest photo you can to your vet. Keep us posted OK? 

And oh my dog Groucho is a love bug! Can I borrow him?! 

Virginia

13 January 2021 - 2:48 pm

Awwww.....awwww ........a precious picture of Groucho and Patch.  Best buddies!

19 January 2021 - 1:52 pm

Yesterday morning on that right rear leg I found more bruising so I took him to the ER. Dear Patches had a clot and there was no hope except more pain and suffering. My dearest Patches did not deserve to suffer and though my heart is broken and I am totally lost in my house without my shadow. I let my beloved Patches go. I have to tell some stories the dog had 9 lives and should have passed a long time ago. I received a gift of Russel Stoffers chocolates as a Christmas gift  this a couple Christmas' past it was wrapped in wrapping paper, plus their wrap plus the cellophane wrap. It was in the middle of my dining-room table with chairs pushed in. My Father in law calls me at work saying something is wrong with the dog to come home quick. Chairs were not moved he had to have climbed up under the arm chair on top of the table and ate the box and all.  Dude peroxide is your friend I made him throw up and multiple time, stayed up all night that night with him. Another time actually my sons Confirmation he pulled down my husbands back pack off another table. Cant figure this one out but he un-zipped a zipper and ate a pack of gum, I am now taking stock in peroxide I tell you. I had to weight down the garbage can with 20 lbs of weight because the little bugger would squeeze his body between the counter and the can and knocked it over. i started off with less it took 20 lbs to stop him and the morning he realized it he woke my father in law up because he decided to bark at the garbage can for not cooperating with his plans. I tell you these stories because it was his zest for causing trouble and being under foot that made me adore him so and know with all my heart that he would put up with any treatment but that would not be fair to him or his spirit. I loved him soooo much that I know that it was time to say goodbye. 

I just want to Thank this wonderful community without it I would have been more lost and scared, but you are sooo caring,truly and inspiration. Right now I have to grieve and heal. But I know if I am on Instagram and see or hear a person needing guidance

I will send them to you and already have.

That was Patches final picture. Below are from better days. XOXO

Virginia

19 January 2021 - 2:34 pm

Nooooo!  Stunned!  Cannot believe what I'm reading!

The courage it took to come here jist jow....the courage it took to write through your tears and as your heart is breaking........yet through your heartache you can celebrate who Patches is....and will always ve....and the way he wants to ge remevered...... ❤

I can't  even type right now

On The Road

20 January 2021 - 11:44 am

OH nooooooo! I can't even believe this, my heart is crushed. I am so very, very sorry. What a terrible loss.

This journey can be so unpredictable and sometimes heartbreaking. It's always our greatest wish for each member to get lots more time and happy memories together with their hero. When tragedy happens, we all hurt and grieve.

My heart goes out to you and the family, we are keeping you in our hearts and lighting a candle for your sweet Patches. 

When you are feeling strong, please share more sweet stories like that with us OK? Patches will always be a hero to us, and never forgotten. Your sweet boy's spirit lives on in the Tripawds Nation.

20 January 2021 - 1:16 pm

thank you 

Virginia

20 January 2021 - 1:59 pm

I wish we could all jump through the screen and give you a cyber hug.

This piece of crap disease  has a hidden age6 some that no amou t of medicine or tests or surgical procedure can stop it's brutal path.

You did THE VERY BEST for uoir Patches.  He wanted the chance you gave him.  He deserved that chance.  As shocking as the outcome was, please know that Patches felt your love and care and thoroughly  enjoyed all the spoiling!

The pictures of him are so adorable.  We all fell in love with him with your first post.  How could you not??

And then to read about all the ways he kept you on your toes, so funny.  And giving  that garbage can a piece of mind because it wouldn't  cooperate....a ruff and tuff little guy!!

Talk about smart, WOW!  The way her masterfully  got k to the backpack and the way he quite cleverly got the chocolate....a very smart little boy!  But his naughtiness  is what gave him so much charm

We know you are missing  him beyond words.  That only way through grieve  is to grief.  Do6 try and ig ore it. or squelch it or put a timeframe on it.  If we did love so jard, we wouldn't  grieve so hard. 

Please, please, p,ease lean on us and let is help you in a yway we can.  And yes, we would love to hear more adventures  from this mischievous, smart,  adorable fella'.  

I'm sure ashe headed to The Rainbow  Bridge, he was greeted with a garbage pail full of chocolate...and it had no lid!!

And let us know how he connects  with you, o,at?  We promise you that he will.  And you will know he is okay and alway with you, just in energy form.

Surrounding  you with love and light❤

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie 

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: tazziedog, Morgan_1
Guest(s) 107
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17864
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: