TRIPAWDS: Home to 23115 Members and 2161 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
12 yo 100 lb Mastweiler with front right shoulder CSA, should we amputate?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
London, UK

sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
17 April 2017 - 6:52 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I have managed to get all caught up on Homeland, Walking Dead, Blindspot, Billions and a few others.

Ha! This reminds me of after Meg fractured her elbow back in 2012. The Olympics were on and we watched the whole thing, absolutely everything, even all those events no one ever watches, dressage, pentathlon all of it. We sat for two weeks on our mattress on the floor and we watched the whole darned lot.

I'm so pleased to hear how Bruno is progressing. I'm quite sure that he will gradually become more mobile, all in his own good time. 

Meg, Clare and Elsie Pie xxx

Ruby, Staffy, born June 2022, became a Tripawd, 23 November 2023, adopted 12 January 2024.

Also Angel Tripawd Meg (aka The Megastar), who died in April 2023, aged 14, after seven glorious years on three, and Angel Staffies Pie and Bille. In the pawprints of giants...

The Amazing Adventures of Ruby Tuesday 

My Life as a Megastar

18 April 2017 - 9:36 am

Today was kind of a bad day moral wise. I needed to go get some more yoga mats and asked the building manager to sit with Bruno on the balcony while I went out for an hour or so. When I got back she told me that he kept scooting around on the balcony and before she knew it she saw that his catheter had come out. Not good because this meant that he needed to start peeing on his own of it would require another trip back to the vet which would not be open until tomorrow or maybe even the next day.

So I figured what the heck lets make lemonade and made a yoga mat path out the door to the elevator and out the front of the building to the outside world that Bruno hasn't seen for a while. Next I changed his dressing and found a spot that had a big scab that had been oozing a bit so cleaned it all up, added a splash of Neosporin powder to the now removed scab and wrapped it all back up and got his mobility harness out to see if it would interfere with the wound but it did not so off we went, sort of.

Bruno got up on all 3 and aimed down the yoga mat path towards the front door but his back legs just were not working. I figured his OA got a lot worse from being bedridden so I took most of his weigh up with the mobility harness and off we went clumsily though it was. We got into the elevator and out the front door to the 7 steps and he just leaned on the wall and looked at the steps and looked at me with a sad face so I just smiled and lifted him down the steps with the harness. Once outside he looked motivated so I let him carry more and more of his weight but he definitely is not walking on his own. There was a bit of improvement with the back legs but at best he could hobble with assistance from one of his spots to the other but still never peed or pooped after 2 hours outside.

Discouraged I tried calling the vet to get the catheter back in but no answer this time so I called a nurse that I know and we put the catheter in and now he can pee into the bag again.

I am starting to think that Bruno may not be able to walk as a tripawd with his hips being this bad now. They really have deteriorated from him staying in bed so long. He got worse over the past 3 or 4 months since he started limping but this past week has been the worst deterioration. Without his back legs working his quality of life will be non existent sad

On The Road

18 April 2017 - 11:24 am

Rob, breathe, and know that this is to be expected right now. Others have gone through similar scenarios and their dogs ended up doing well. Sally & Happy Hannah come to mind. Have you seen her first post about feeling regretful? Hannah took a while to bounce back, but she DID and enjoyed great quality days after that. See: 

six days after rear leg amp and getting worse--update: VERY HAPPY-GREAT DECISION

Yes, the body does get stiff after laying around so you're on the right track with that thinking. Bruno had a huge adventure out there on his first big outing, and his exhaustion is to be expected. Some thoughts I have for you:

• Have you tried manually expressing his bladder?
  • What about helping with his bowel movements through the use of olive oil in his food, metamucil/bran flakes, or other fiber-rich additives like steamed pumpkins?
  • Have you tried any gentle, passive range of motion exercises? We have tips in our e-book Loving Life On Three Legs (I think you said you have it, right?).
  • What about consulting long-distance with Debbie Gross, aka Wizard of Paws? I'm not sure the time difference can work well for you (She's in Connecticut) but it's worth a try. Here's her website.

I'm not a vet. But I've seen hundreds of recuperations here and can tell you confidently that the fact that Bruno went outside and was curious about his surroundings, is a GREAT sign. I know it' s hard to see him that way, I would be doubting things too. But please stay strong and pawsitive for him. It can definitely get better. You are a pawesome pet parent.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Germany
18 April 2017 - 1:11 pm

Rob, keep doing what you're doing, honestly. Yes, it's probably not easy with the bad hips but from my own personal experience: I was in hospital a few years ago and was only allowed to move my head and my toes pretty much for three days. After those three days -and I am not exaggerating here- I had few to no muscles left in my legs and my butt. After only three days. It's scary how those muscles deteriorate so quickly and yet are so hard to gain back. 

So if he wants to go outside, like Jerry said, that's a good sign. If you have to help him? That's ok! Those muscles won't come back from nothing ( maybe it'll take a few of yours 😊). I'm obviously not a vet and you know him best, but hey, motivation is there and that counts for so much! 

tina & Manni

Guardian of Manni the Wonderdog. -Or was it the other way around?
Osteo and amputation in Dec 2015. Second, inoperable, primary osteosarcoma found in June 2017.
The end of our adventures came Dec 10, 2017. 2 years to the day.

Manni's blog -dogblog-

Virginia

18 April 2017 - 1:14 pm

Oay....some deep breaths.....

You have quite a few reasons to feel deflated and discouraged, that's for sure!! Yep, you've certainly earned the right to feel that way!! And you probably aren't even letting on how REALLY discouraged and how REALLY deflated you feel!! But we DO understand like no others can!!

Jerry gave you the link to my first thread on Happy Hannah. It originally stated..."...and I fear I have made a HORRIBLE decision"....as opposed to the UPDATE that said "Great decision"! And quite frankly, as much as I tried to show some "upbeat moments" those first couplenof weeks, I felt that I was taking those posts moreso than actually feeling that way!

Bruno has had a few more challenges than some and, as hard as it is to believe, a few less than others!

And yes, his mobility is compromised FOR NOW due to all sorts of legitimate reasons that are "Bruno specific"! The recovery from MAJOR SURGERY, the pain meds, the INFECTION, that catheter, the frain for the fliids, the bandage/dressing,and, on top of all that, larger front legger dogs take @onger to get their sea legs even WITHOUT all these other issues!!!

Those of us reading thisnpost today can actually see a lot of GOOD NEWS!! Keep in mind, we aren't nearly as mentally and physically exhausted as you, and certainly haven't endured all the additional intense stress and constant vigilance you have been through non-stop since bringing Bruno home just hours after surgery!! OMD! You and Bruno have been through so much!!!

This is what we all can see as good about your post:

*Bruno showed some spunk and motivation when he started scooting around in the patio 🙂

*Clumsy or not, Bruno got up and aimed towards getting down that yoga path and heading outdoors 🙂

* There was "a bit of improvement" (that reads HUGE improvement in our world of recovery!)

*Hobbling to his favorite spots....all good signs....showing motivation and interest in scents and smells 🙂

What pain meds is he on now and what's the dose, number of hours in between? How much does Bruno weigh? I know you probably have all that noted in here, but just thought I'd get an update.

I think the more you can make that trip outside......and that has to be soooo hard and a lot of effort (moreso in your part).......the more "normal" he will start to feel. Additionally, those legs will get stretched and circulation will get moving up and down those long limbs of his.

Jerry's advice is always spot on. Try some of the tips she suggested. And when she said she'd seen hundreds of recuperations on here...I thinks she meant THOUSANDS and she can, indeed, speak confidently! 🙂 🙂

One more tip in the pee. To state the obvious, as soon as you can get that catheter and keep in trying the "normal pee route" the better.

And here's the ....shh....secret tip of all time! When you take him back outside, lay him somewhat near his favorite pee spot....let him see you go to his favorite pee spot...and...yep....with no one watching except Bruno...pee on his spot and walk away!!! This trick has worked before!!! Give him a few moments to see if he can get up on his own....don't hoover too closely....and he may just go over and re-mark HIS territory!

Rob, we've all been in awe of your caregiver abilities and your incredible unflinching devotion!! 🙂 🙂 🙂 Your ability to maintain yiur determination and posit

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

Virginia

18 April 2017 - 1:25 pm

Oh geez....just thought I lost the entire post!

Anyway, your ability to maintain your strong determination and positive attitude, even when you aren't really feeling it sometimes, is truly HEROIC!!! TRULY!!

STAY WITH US! I, like everyone, look for your update everyday.

And the uti infection has cleared up, right? Does the Vet want a follow up before you take the catheter out?? IF the Vet says it's okay to take out, maybe you could continue to take him outside a couple of times a day and, if he doesn't go withing the 12 to 28 hrs (or whatever the Vet says) then you could put it back in. If I recall, this silly boy sometimes inly went once a day anyway AND he enjoyed being a couch potato! So he's kind of acting somewhat "normal" anyway!!

Are you getting some rest? Do you drink alcohol? Some people drink a lot during rough recoveries!! Kidding! My preference was junk food! Lots of chocolate and ice cream! 🙂

Hugs to you and Bruno!

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

Germany
18 April 2017 - 1:26 pm

Oh, and everything that Sally said. As usual: couldn't agree more! 😊

Guardian of Manni the Wonderdog. -Or was it the other way around?
Osteo and amputation in Dec 2015. Second, inoperable, primary osteosarcoma found in June 2017.
The end of our adventures came Dec 10, 2017. 2 years to the day.

Manni's blog -dogblog-

18 April 2017 - 7:33 pm

A big problem is that follow up from the University Vet is nonexistent. They literally finished with us once we left the building last week and the local vets are not knowledgeable about his situation and they too have been away for the local holidays.

His wound drainage is slowly reducing from the initial 170ml per day but is still around 100ml per day and that drain was supposed to be out 3 or 4 days after surgery. My high school friend said that I should take it out once the drainage is down to 20ml per day but that seems far off still.

He just finished his Previcox (NSAID) last night and now is on Tramadol 150mg every 12 hours, Gabapentin 300mg every 12 hours, and also Cephalexin 1250 mg and Augmentin 1000 mg every 12 hours. I think he is not in pain now but he has always been a big panter so I can't really judge by that symptom. He has 3 days of Gabapentin left and about 1 week of Tramadol at the present dosage.

He would not stand on his own this morning but I did get him up with the towel sling and he took a few steps before flopping down. I got him up again and out of the balcony where there is a nice breeze today.

Today I will change his dressing again to see how that one spot is doing but am hesitant to remove the catheter again. I think that i will keep trying to get him to take a few steps every couple hours and if he is doing well maybe tomorrow I will remove the catheter and take him downstairs again in the afternoon.

Virginia

18 April 2017 - 7:52 pm

You must really feel like you've been left out on your own by all the Vets!! And I thinkmyoy have good reason to feel that way!

Christine suggested a bit ago about posting this under "Ask Vet" and I'm going to follow up on her suggestion.

We have a "volunteer " Vet who is kind kind enough to check in and answer any wuestions she can. PLIS, she was owned by a HUGE MASTIFF named Tazzie who had a front leg ampnhrs ago. Tazzie is the one who brought her here as a "regular person" looking for advice for her tripawd. She has been generous enough to stay and offer Veterinary insight whenever she can.

Soooo....gonna go over to "Ask A Vet" and post a link to your thread. It may take a few days, vut she'll respond.

Quick reminder from you.....is he eating and drinking okay? Wag his tail when people come over?

Virginia

18 April 2017 - 8:34 pm

Bob! Here's the thread Imposted under Ask A Vet......Hope I hit the highlights. She will read through your thread and figue everything out.
Hipefully, you will get the reassurance you need and/or some more insight into what you can do to help Bruno.

One thi g that continues to jumpmout at me as I was posting a little synopses....this sog has been through a lot...AND it's still very earlu!! I think because of all the "hurdles" you've had to ceal with, it seems like this recovery has been going on a lot longer than it has!

If I figured the dates out right, normally Bruno woukd have spent probably teo, maybe three nights at the Vet ifnyiu were here in the States. So, that would make his "at home time" only be about four or five days now.

Plus, with all the drainage and rebandaging, a Vet may have kept him in the clinic until it stopped.

So, again, YOU ARE DOING AN EXTRAORDINARY JOB as Bruno's Vet!! 🙂

http://tripawds.....pee-not-m/

Hoping tomorrow will bring about some pee! If nothing else, Bruno will definitely enjoy being outside!!

18 April 2017 - 9:11 pm

Triple ditto EVERYTHING Sally has said as well as everyone else. You are THE vet for Bruno and are doing a simply exceptional, stellar job under incredibly trying circumstances. Not only is the diagnosis and surgery always a shock, the simple fact that you are in charge of intensive care nursing 24/7 during recovery is e x h a u s t i n g!!! Please consider on at least an hour of just Rob time! Bruno will be snoozing and maybe just stepping outside in the sun eating chocolate or sipping an adult beverage would be...well.

Two small issues to note: NOT a vet here BUT there is a drug that is given after surgery for those that have difficulty peeing after surgery...I think it is bethanechol? My OSA dog was administered this drug because he , too, refused to pee and since he was 135+ he had a very large bladder:):):) and could and would hold it in forever. However, and again, I am not a vet. I mention this as not peeing  became an issue until he took the meds. ( Also, once he did, he got in the pee of things...) Partly he did not want to pee because he became a TwoPawd after his surgery. Now, lest you think this diminished the quality of his life, it did not in any way, shape, or form. He was an EXTREMELY happy fella! As a TwoPawd!

So complications and trying times may exist but YOU AND BRUNO are both completely and totally awesome. And the fact that Bruno is interested in being Bruno is EXCEPTIONAL!!! 

You got this Bruno! You really do! 

Huge hugs, best wishes, and PyrPaws all around!!!

19 April 2017 - 7:34 am

Thanks to everyone for all of the encouraging posts. Today was a better day for moral and I managed to capture a couple moments for posterity.

Here is Bruno sporting his Solvit mobility harness which fortunately still works without the fourth leg and does not hurt his incision. So this pic was when he could not walk or pee and we both were frustrated.

IMG_20170418_180423.jpgImage Enlarger

But then we kept at it today and out of the blue while I was having a dip in the pool, Bruno decided that the time had come to show the world that he is going to at least be back to his pre-amp hobble with colostomy bag in trailbig-grin.

IMG_20170419_180004-e1492608006111.jpgImage Enlarger

IMG_20170419_180005-e1492608023670.jpgImage Enlarger

Ok so it was only a couple steps but it was completely unassisted and fortunately did not end in a face plant.

19 April 2017 - 7:42 am

Oh I forgot to add that he pulled the catheter out yet again shortly after so I will leave him without it tonight and take him downstairs in the morning to attempt a pee again, hopefully he will feel full by then and want to do it if not I will ask around about the bethanechol. The good thing about being in this part of the world is that the pharmacies will sell you most anything without a perscription if you know the name of it.

19 April 2017 - 7:53 am

UAU Rob and Bruno,

Just catching up on your thread ...

You both are such an incredible team ✊🏽

Absolutely love the pictures of gorgeous Bruno, he is a real sugar pie 💘

And he is so lucky to have you looking after him, you are doing a marvellous job 👍🏽

Now that Bruno had his first few steps on his own I bet he'll perservere and before you know it recovery will be over and he'll be up to enjoying life to the full again 🤠 

Keep up the good work and great updates !

Lots of tummy rubs and hugs 😘😘💕🐶 going your way 

Eurydice 77kg/170lb Great Dane limping end of April 2016, amputation (right front leg/osteosarcoma) 4 May 2016 6 courses of carboplatin followed by metronomic therapy, lung mets found 30 Nov 2016. 3 courses of doxorubicin, PET scan 26 Jan 2017 showed more mets so stopped chemo. Holistic route April 2017. Lung X-ray 5 May 2017 showed several tennis ball size mets, started cortisone and diuretics. Miss Cow earned her XXL silver wings 12 June 2017, 13 months and 1 week after amputation and 6 1/2 months after lung mets, she was the goofiest dawg ever and is now happily flying from cloud to cloud woof woofing away :-) 

19 April 2017 - 8:09 am

Hooray for taking his first steps!

Otis - 106 pound lab/Dane mix, lost his right front leg to osteosarcoma on Febuary 9, 2016.  Four rounds of carboplatin completed in April, 2016.  Lung mets August 25, 2016.  Said goodbye too soon on September 4, 2016.   Lost his adopted sister, Tess, suddenly on October 9, 2016. likely due to hemangiosarcoma.  

Wherever they are, they are together.

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: Matie, Sue_2
Guest(s) 258
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17868
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3