TRIPAWDS: Home to 23085 Members and 2157 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
12 yo 100 lb Mastweiler with front right shoulder CSA, should we amputate?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Minnesota
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
14 June 2017 - 9:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Rob,

I am so deeply sorry for your loss. I am crying right along with everyone else who cares about you and sweet Bruno. My heart just broke for you as I read your post. There is absolutely no way that you should beat yourself up for even one second - you did everything you possibly could for your boy right up to his very last moment and he loved you for it. Bruno knew that you loved him and he trusted you completely. I think all of us who have helped a dog battle cancer can agree that it is truly impossible to predict the future and all of us have wished we could have some kind of sign to let us know when it was time to say goodbye, but the truth is we don't know. All any of us can do is love our dogs with all our hearts and try to make the best decisions we can with the limited information we are given. It's an impossible task and one that can only be performed with love which you undoubtedly possess in abundance.

Bruno had a wonderful life with you and I'm certain he lived with no regrets. What a very lucky boy to have someone who loved him so much, someone who was there for him no matter how rough things got, someone who gave him every chance to live his full life, someone to help him battle cancer with dignity and someone who understood what an amazing boy he was - we should all be so lucky to have someone love us like that.

I hope that you will be able to find some relief in all the amazing memories you have of Bruno. This blog you have written is a great tribute to your Bruno and I hope you will continue to share some happy memories of Bruno here.

Please try to take care of yourself during this impossible time. It is hard to make yourself do something else when you've been spending all your time as a caregiver but I hope you can find something that will bring you some peace.

Please know that we are all thinking of you and Bruno.

Lots of Love - Amy & Rusty

Germany
15 June 2017 - 9:04 am

Rob, I am so so sorry. I am only catching up now and believe me when I say this feels devastating to all of us. You guys have left such an impact so please know that Bruno will be remembered by a huge number of people and he left his paw prints forever on our hearts. We actually talked about the two of you at the meeting in VA a lot so please know that we are all absolutely certain you did more than could be asked for. All of us cheered you on and all of us were rooting for you guys. 

I am sure it makes it even harder to not know what ultimately took Bruno but at least, Rob, he got to spend his last moments at home. We are here for you and will be always. 

Please feel hugged and know that Bruno will always be remembered. 

Tina 

Guardian of Manni the Wonderdog. -Or was it the other way around?
Osteo and amputation in Dec 2015. Second, inoperable, primary osteosarcoma found in June 2017.
The end of our adventures came Dec 10, 2017. 2 years to the day.

Manni's blog -dogblog-

Los Angeles, CA
15 June 2017 - 9:29 am

I am so sorry .... please do not beat yourself up... you did all that you could and Bruno knew he was loved until the very end. He will always have a special place in our hearts and our community!!!!

Sending you love and peace and light ...

alison with spirit shelby in her heart 

Shelby Lynne; Jack Russell/Shiba Inu mix. Proud member of the April Angels of 2014.

October 15, 2000 to April 8, 2014

Our story: Broke rear leg in June 2013 - non-conclusive results for cancer so leg was plated and pinned. Enlarged spleen in September 2013 and had it removed and was diagnosed with Hemangiosarcoma and started chemotherapy. Became a Tripawd January 8th, 2014 and definitive Hemangiosarcoma diagnosis. Three major surgeries in 7 months and Shelby took them all like a champ only to lose her battle to cancer in her brain. We had 8 amazing extra months together and no regrets. #shelbystrong #loveofmylife

On The Road

15 June 2017 - 7:30 pm

Rob, I'm so sad to learn the news. I'm in the Tripawds Chat if you want to talk OK? back in a sec...

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

On The Road

15 June 2017 - 7:37 pm

My heart broke when Admin Guy informed me about Bruno today. I am so sorry. All of us grieve with you and share in the heartache of this great loss. Bruno was a big boy and he leaves behind a big fan club of people who came to know you both and constantly sent love across the ocean to you both.

I remember the day we talked on the phone and it was so crystal clear how much you cared about Bruno. You were a wonderful, loving dad to him and I know without a doubt that he was THE most adored and cherished dog for miles around. The compassion and care you gave him during this rough time speaks volumes about how hard you tried to help him overcome the challenges. You did everything humanly possible and I hope in time your heart will hurt less when you look back on all of this. I know it's not easy. The pain is raw and Bruno leaves a big hole in your life. I totally get that. And I am really, really sorry.

We are here for you always. If you want to talk, you have our number and a whole community that understands your grief.

May Bruno's big beautiful spirit shine brightly on your life for all time. He will always be our hero.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

16 June 2017 - 7:52 pm

Oh Rob I'm so sorry for your loss!  I don't post much but was cheering you and Bruno from the sidelines - your love and care are an inspiration.

I know you are devastated but don't blame yourself, please - it sounds like Bruno was fighting right to the end, his spirit was hanging in there but his body gave out. 

Please take care of yourself.  We are all here for you.

Bruno, run pain free and keep an eye on your dad from time to time.

Tracey & Tai

18 June 2017 - 5:05 am

Thank you all for your kind words and support. Tears come to my eyes every time I read one of your replies.

Yes Bruno left a massive hole in my life that will not be filled any time soon. Thank you all again.

Minnesota
27 June 2017 - 7:00 pm

Rob,

You were on my mind today and I wanted to write and ask you how you were doing. I wondered if you might be willing to share any stories about the fun that you had with Bruno or how you two ended up in Thailand? That must have been quite a journey. I hope that Bruno is visiting you in sweet memories and that you are finding some peace in knowing what a great life he had with you. I found one of my Lucy's black hairs yesterday and it still brings tears to my eyes, not sadness, just love.

I hope you are well.

heart Amy & Rusty

28 June 2017 - 4:16 am

Sweet Robheart

I was really devastated when I read what happened ...

Especially because Bruno's symptoms were very similar to Eurydice's so it was time to let him go.

It was really unfortunate the vets could not understand what was really going on with him.

Difficulty breathing, dark tongue, coughing are all symptoms of the body not being able to function.

There is simply not enough oxygen to keep it going.

You did NOTHING wrong, nothing at all.

There is NO way you could have known.

Sadly me and Eurydice were dealing with the same so I did not read any other posts hence could not share my experience with you.

You were the greatest of all Dads, you managed recovery by yourself, attended to Bruno amazingly well in a country were animal care is not that great ... to say the least.

The way you created an area in your balcony for him to pee, the way you built a ramp for him to hop into the building, the way you created a beautiful garden for him in the condo, the way you took him swimming ... all showed how much love you both felt for each other heart

You are a true HERO to all of us at tripawds, the ultimate loving warrior ...

Please take comfort in knowing you did EVERYTHING in your power to give him a happy life and a happy life he hadheart

Bruno runs free with Eurydice and all our other babies and they are watching over all of us ...

Sending you a HUGE hug, can you hear your boy and my girl laughing and shrieking with joy from above ??? 

Eurydice 77kg/170lb Great Dane limping end of April 2016, amputation (right front leg/osteosarcoma) 4 May 2016 6 courses of carboplatin followed by metronomic therapy, lung mets found 30 Nov 2016. 3 courses of doxorubicin, PET scan 26 Jan 2017 showed more mets so stopped chemo. Holistic route April 2017. Lung X-ray 5 May 2017 showed several tennis ball size mets, started cortisone and diuretics. Miss Cow earned her XXL silver wings 12 June 2017, 13 months and 1 week after amputation and 6 1/2 months after lung mets, she was the goofiest dawg ever and is now happily flying from cloud to cloud woof woofing away :-) 

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 222
Currently Browsing this Page:
2 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17840
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: