TRIPAWDS: Home to 23127 Members and 2161 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
12 yo 100 lb Mastweiler with front right shoulder CSA, should we amputate?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Germany
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
19 April 2017 - 9:12 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Oh Rob that's great!! Fantastic news!! from here on: up!!

I don't really know a whole lot about catheters in dogs but I know that humans sometimes have a problem for a little while after the catheter was removed so maybe give him some time there.

I think all of us here just exhaled 🙂  🙂

Guardian of Manni the Wonderdog. -Or was it the other way around?
Osteo and amputation in Dec 2015. Second, inoperable, primary osteosarcoma found in June 2017.
The end of our adventures came Dec 10, 2017. 2 years to the day.

Manni's blog -dogblog-

Schofield, WI
19 April 2017 - 9:22 am

Yay Bruno!  That's right sweet boy start with baby steps there!  So happy to hear and see that Bruno is starting to be a bit mobile on his own!  See boy you can do this!  Hoping today is an even better day!  Rob you are caretaker extrodinair!  

Virginia

19 April 2017 - 10:02 am

OOOOOMMMMMDDDDDD!!!!! I'M SO HAPPY I'M CRYING TEARS OF JOY!!!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 Needed to hear this good news sooooo badly today!!!

BRUNO, you are certainly living up to your couch potato name big boy!! For you, those steps were like running a marathon!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Now dump that pee bag and let's get on with it....and speaking of "dump"...yeah, let's get that done too!! 🙂

Looooove that face! 🙂 🙂

YAAAAAAAAAY FOR BRUNO AND DR BOB!!!! 🙂

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

London, UK

19 April 2017 - 11:33 am

This is just fantastic news. Grinning here. So pleased for you!

Ruby, Staffy, born June 2022, became a Tripawd, 23 November 2023, adopted 12 January 2024.

Also Angel Tripawd Meg (aka The Megastar), who died in April 2023, aged 14, after seven glorious years on three, and Angel Staffies Pie and Bille. In the pawprints of giants...

The Amazing Adventures of Ruby Tuesday 

My Life as a Megastar

Anchorage, AK
19 April 2017 - 1:53 pm

Wow! Just read through your whole story and glad it's at an upswing! Great news and can't wait to see more on your journey 🙂

Doxie the Italian Mastiff lost her right rear leg to osteosarcoma on 3/9/2017 and has been hopping happily since!

See Doxie's Story

19 April 2017 - 6:30 pm

Yay for Bruno!  He is a super star.  So glad to read the positive turn of events.

Virginia

19 April 2017 - 6:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

BOB! Check out the Ask a Vet link. (I posted earlier)...our beloved Dr Pam made a comment that may helpful.

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

Virginia

19 April 2017 - 6:42 pm

And apologies......it's been pointed out to me Ive been calling you Bob instead of RRRRROB! Usually I can blame things in typos......this time though not the case! 'Just too focused on content and getting my thoughts out too quickly and repeating my boo boo time after rime without thinking! Ooops!

So how's our Bruno boy tonight?

19 April 2017 - 8:06 pm

Yay Bruno!!!  Rob, I've been following your story and you are doing an AMAZING job - and so is Bruno. 

Love seeing your big, handsome boy taking some steps! Go Bruno!!  And Go, Rob - hang in there!  I hope you are getting some rest, somewhere smiley

Tracey & Tai

20 April 2017 - 10:12 am

Hooray for pee!  What great news!  Looks like you will be driving to the park a lot😄.  I remember one member who had to drive his dog to the vet, where the dog would pee on the grass patch, and then they went home.

Otis - 106 pound lab/Dane mix, lost his right front leg to osteosarcoma on Febuary 9, 2016.  Four rounds of carboplatin completed in April, 2016.  Lung mets August 25, 2016.  Said goodbye too soon on September 4, 2016.   Lost his adopted sister, Tess, suddenly on October 9, 2016. likely due to hemangiosarcoma.  

Wherever they are, they are together.

Virginia

22 April 2017 - 9:06 pm

Just checking in to see how Bruno is doing.

24 April 2017 - 3:03 am

I decided to go to a fruit farm a couple hours away to try to spend a few days in a more natural and rural environment in the hope that Bruno would overcome the environmental issues that I believe have been holding back his recovery. Within an hour or so Bruno stood on his own and pooped for the first time. He is very wobbly and his hind legs are definitely in need of a lot of rehab but he has started doing the basics and hopefully will continue when we go back home tomorrow.

His stitches will come out tomorrow, a couple days late due to a part of the incision that didn't look quite ready on Friday and most likely his drain will come out at the same time as it now is at the 20ml per 24 hours mark.

I have my work cut out this week to get a ramp installed at the front door to our building that the other tenants won't object to and I will try to clear an area of the empty lot behind our building and lay down about 200 square feet of sod among the small wild trees which have grown on the lot in an effort to make a cleaner area with a touch of jungle for Bruno to hopefully adopt as his new spot close to home as it is too far for him to routinely make it to his old spots and driving to the park twice a day isn't realistic for the long term.

Germany
24 April 2017 - 3:41 am

Sounds great, Rob! The lengths we go to...  I also load Manni into the car for every walk. I'm sure Bruno will feel even better once the stitches are out and while he will probably be wobbly for a little while yet I'm pretty sure that you'll see him improving every day!

all the best! and if you can manage: I would love to see a couple of pictures of Bruno in lovely Thailand!!

tina & Manni

Guardian of Manni the Wonderdog. -Or was it the other way around?
Osteo and amputation in Dec 2015. Second, inoperable, primary osteosarcoma found in June 2017.
The end of our adventures came Dec 10, 2017. 2 years to the day.

Manni's blog -dogblog-

24 April 2017 - 4:52 am

What great news!  And how wonderful that your landlord and the other tenants will allow you to make these changes to enhance Bruno's environment! 

Otis - 106 pound lab/Dane mix, lost his right front leg to osteosarcoma on Febuary 9, 2016.  Four rounds of carboplatin completed in April, 2016.  Lung mets August 25, 2016.  Said goodbye too soon on September 4, 2016.   Lost his adopted sister, Tess, suddenly on October 9, 2016. likely due to hemangiosarcoma.  

Wherever they are, they are together.

On The Road

24 April 2017 - 10:37 am

I love that you took him out for a change of scenery and that he did so well! What a great idea. I can imagine he was probably SO happy to get out.

Let us know how the ramp building goes. It's amazing how much we realize that things like the location of potty spots makes a difference as mobility becomes impaired. After this journey, we are always more aware of these things for the well-being of other animals we care for. It's one of those "gifts" that a tough journey like this brings to us.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 201
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17879
Moderators: 6