TRIPAWDS: Home to 23127 Members and 2161 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
12 yo 100 lb Mastweiler with front right shoulder CSA, should we amputate?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
London, UK

sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
24 April 2017 - 12:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

This is a great update. I'm so pleased Bruno enjoyed the change of scene. Good luck with the ramp building etc. I love the way you just work out whatever is needed and then find a way to sort it out. Whatever the challenge, you rise to it! Bruno is one lucky dog.

Ruby, Staffy, born June 2022, became a Tripawd, 23 November 2023, adopted 12 January 2024.

Also Angel Tripawd Meg (aka The Megastar), who died in April 2023, aged 14, after seven glorious years on three, and Angel Staffies Pie and Bille. In the pawprints of giants...

The Amazing Adventures of Ruby Tuesday 

My Life as a Megastar

Virginia

24 April 2017 - 3:38 pm

Soooooo relieved to see this great update!!! 🙂 🙂 Thanks for taking a moment to let us know what's on. Goodness knows you've had your hands full providing all the exquisite care you've been giving Bruno.

And YAY FOR poopicon_pngpoopicon_png!!! Those Mastiff-ish types sure do like to set records for holding their pee and their poop!

And now Bruno is gping to have his own little jungle oasis! 🙂 What a great idea! Can't wait to see pictures!

Getting that drain out has got to feel good to him, as well as getting those stitches out!! And that pee catheter is no longer needed, righ!

I know this has to feel like the longest two weeks of your life, but you are FINALLY starting to turn the corner!! More and more you will start to see his sparkle come back! Even if it's simply standing on his own and having a nice poop! 🙂 More and more you will be able to say you did this FOR Bruno and not TO him!!!

Your @ove and devotion to Bruno has no limits! It's a beautiful thing for us to witness!

Cheering for ya' Bruno!!

Hugs

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

24 April 2017 - 10:24 pm

I've been following Bruno's story and have to say how creative you've been designing Bruno's potty areas - sod on the deck, astro turf and now Bruno's personal jungle potty park!! Bruno is one lucky dog and obviously well loved.

I'm sure there will be others in the building that may find the ramp useful for themselves. Hope it all goes well.

I'm sure Bruno will amaze you as he gets stronger and gets his confidence back.

Kerren and Tripawd Kitty Mona

24 April 2017 - 11:23 pm

Well I just hope that the "Jungle Garden" has better success than the balcony grass and astroturf.

I am the majority owner in the condominium so pretty much whatever I want to do goes here and as long as it comes out of my pocket that makes it even better.

Here is the stitches and drain removed and it is healed up quite nicely except for a few scabs. I am anxious to get him in the pool for some swim therapy but want to wait until the scabs are all gone so maybe a few more days until we can start that.IMG_20170424_114100.jpgImage Enlarger

Here are some pics of him at the fruit farm

IMG_20170424_082213.jpgImage Enlarger

IMG_20170424_084025.jpgImage Enlarger

And here he is this morning laying in the middle of the empty lot while I am clearing it. It will be 20 ft by 20 ft when I am done so that should be plenty and it is nicely shaded so we can sit out there for however long it takes but I will be putting a lawn chair there for myself. He stayed out there over 2 hours today and still no poop for what is now 48 hours. He did peed twice though so at least that was ok.

IMG_20170425_093026.jpgImage Enlarger

Can anyone suggest a way to protect that elbow pad, he is using it heavily and it seems quite irritated already.

Oh and last night he went off the yoga mat zone while I was out getting some dinner and now he seems to be ok walking on the tiles and hardwood flooring, he actually is avoiding the yoga mats this morning, as long as he isn't face planting I guess that it is ok right?

Germany
25 April 2017 - 1:32 am

This time zone thing is really funny. I am usually the first to see your post and then it just kind of moves along to across the Atlantic and such. Kinda cool. Sorry, off topic 🙂

Bruno looks like he belongs in those plush outdoors you got there. Nice. Wanna swap?? 🙂 Manni had slight issues with his elbow pads at first and I was starting to get worried but eventually he got used to different body postures and also lying on his amp side more and it just went away. I'm sure somebody here has a solution for that but they really start to change posture after a while and I am sure that Bruno will start to move around more in the weeks to come, too.

Of course it's ok if he can handle the floors without the mats. But do please expect the occasional face plant anyway, regardless of mats, rugs or whatever. we are 16 months in and Manni still does that quite a bit. -and yes, I hate it. I still have the rugs all over my house, though, and Manni seems to try to move on those deliberately more than off them. For the office, which is tiled, I use toe grips. Which isn't perfect but better than nothing I guess.

in my opinion the face plants suck but are nowhere near as bad as the slipping of the remaining front paw. But you just can't protect them from everything.

send us some sun and warmth if you can, please. I am not kidding: it's snowing here...

tina & Manni

Guardian of Manni the Wonderdog. -Or was it the other way around?
Osteo and amputation in Dec 2015. Second, inoperable, primary osteosarcoma found in June 2017.
The end of our adventures came Dec 10, 2017. 2 years to the day.

Manni's blog -dogblog-

25 April 2017 - 4:35 am

His new play area looks great!  He is going to love it.  And if he is peeing there already, you are good to go.  And sounds like he has pretty sophisticated manners - won't pee on astroturf or on the patio, and knows that yoga mats are not a normal household furnishing.  If he doesn't need or want them, not a problem.  And so glad the stitches are out.  A lot of dogs really start to perk up once those are removed.

My poor Otis had a huge face plant once.  Several days later, I noticed a lump on his jaw and was immediately thinking cancer.  We had chemo that week, and the oncologist immediately recognized it for what it was.  I felt horrible.  But, I think it goes with the territory.

We never needed elbow pads, but I think Eurydice the Great Dane had a seamstress make some.  Her Mom posts under that same name.  You might want to reach out to her for design ideas - I am sure someone local could sew them.

Otis - 106 pound lab/Dane mix, lost his right front leg to osteosarcoma on Febuary 9, 2016.  Four rounds of carboplatin completed in April, 2016.  Lung mets August 25, 2016.  Said goodbye too soon on September 4, 2016.   Lost his adopted sister, Tess, suddenly on October 9, 2016. likely due to hemangiosarcoma.  

Wherever they are, they are together.

London, UK

25 April 2017 - 5:39 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Just look at him! He's in paradise. Ditto Tina. Wanna swap? It's snowing here too, Tina. Crazy weather. It was 70ºF just a few days ago.

Anyway, elbows.... I haven't had problems with Meg's remaining front leg, probably because she is a much smaller dog, but I do have rather a lot of experience in keeping elbows covered, as it was elbow problems in Meg's other leg that ultimately resulted in her losing it, and she had an open wound on her elbow for about seven months. So, the problem with elbows is getting any kind of covering or dressing to stay on, especially if a dog is remotely active. Granted, Bruno is rather more sedate than Meg, but you still need something that will just stay put without you having to worry about it. We tried everything, but everything, and for us the best solution by far (actually the only solution that worked reliably) were Dogleggs We obviously used the two leg version, because at that point she still had two front legs, but the link takes you to the ones they make specifically for amputees. They're not cheap, by any means, and they may be more than Bruno needs, but for us they were a godsend.

I know other people have come up with various DIY solutions, so you may prefer to try that first (I mean after you've finished building the ramp, and remodelling the garden...) Or, Thailand is famous for the skill of its tailors, perhaps you could find someone to design him something?

Meg, Clare and Elsie Pie

Ruby, Staffy, born June 2022, became a Tripawd, 23 November 2023, adopted 12 January 2024.

Also Angel Tripawd Meg (aka The Megastar), who died in April 2023, aged 14, after seven glorious years on three, and Angel Staffies Pie and Bille. In the pawprints of giants...

My Life as a Megastar

25 April 2017 - 6:23 am

Hey Rob and Bruno, 

What a great update, you are the best dad ever 🏆

A couple of days in the fruit farm and his own piece of paradise created for him in your condo, absolutely lovely 💕🐾

You'll see a lot of improvement as soon as stitches come out and his mobility will be amazing once he exercises in the pool 🏊🏼

But be cautious with not overdoing it in the pool Eurydice did some aquateraphy and they told us swimming takes up far more energy than hopping (she had three people assisting her and a life jacket on) ...

She did sleep solid for the rest of the day after each session 😴

As for the elbow protection sadly miss cow never stopped using the same spot so she had horrible sores there ...

We used (and still use although less times now) cream daily, applied it at night so it would stay on for longer, name is flamazine and the other fucidine, maybe you can get it in Thailand ?

As that was not remotely enough we found a really talented seamstress who "invented" a lot of things for her disabled dawg, including the ultimate elbow protection. 

It's made of a stretchy antibacterial material and has two flexible straps to adjust it to the upper and lower part of the elbow.

This made a huge different with Eurydice's elbow condition.

I'll try and find the thread where I mentioned this in the past. 

In the meantime, stay happy and well and keep up the good work !

Lots of tummy rubs to your gorgeous boy 🐶🐾🐶

Eurydice 77kg/170lb Great Dane limping end of April 2016, amputation (right front leg/osteosarcoma) 4 May 2016 6 courses of carboplatin followed by metronomic therapy, lung mets found 30 Nov 2016. 3 courses of doxorubicin, PET scan 26 Jan 2017 showed more mets so stopped chemo. Holistic route April 2017. Lung X-ray 5 May 2017 showed several tennis ball size mets, started cortisone and diuretics. Miss Cow earned her XXL silver wings 12 June 2017, 13 months and 1 week after amputation and 6 1/2 months after lung mets, she was the goofiest dawg ever and is now happily flying from cloud to cloud woof woofing away :-) 

25 April 2017 - 6:48 am

Right.

Found the thread which is good news as it has photos so you can see what it looks like.

Bad news is I don't know how to copy link directly here ...

It is in the Treatment Recovery and Oncology forum, page 17 under Eurydice's elbow friction and protection.

Hope it helps. 

🐾🐶🐾

Eurydice 77kg/170lb Great Dane limping end of April 2016, amputation (right front leg/osteosarcoma) 4 May 2016 6 courses of carboplatin followed by metronomic therapy, lung mets found 30 Nov 2016. 3 courses of doxorubicin, PET scan 26 Jan 2017 showed more mets so stopped chemo. Holistic route April 2017. Lung X-ray 5 May 2017 showed several tennis ball size mets, started cortisone and diuretics. Miss Cow earned her XXL silver wings 12 June 2017, 13 months and 1 week after amputation and 6 1/2 months after lung mets, she was the goofiest dawg ever and is now happily flying from cloud to cloud woof woofing away :-) 

London, UK

25 April 2017 - 6:52 am

My Life as a Megastar

On The Road

25 April 2017 - 10:39 am

Hey he's looking GREAT! And yes it's fine if he wants to walk off the yoga mats, I think he's trying to say "Dad, I can do this!" That's awesome. And that area you are creating will be fantastic, I can't wait to see when it's completed.

Elbow pressure sores are common in giant breeds. Here's a few posts about healing elbow pressure sores in dogs.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

25 April 2017 - 11:09 am

Hey, thank you Clare, you're a genius 👩🏼‍💻 

( how did you do it ????) 

😘😘😘😘

Virginia

25 April 2017 - 4:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Screenshot_2017-04-25-17-56-27_zpskqaz8aho.pngImage Enlarger

eurydice said

eurydice said
Hey, thank you Clare, you're a genius 👩🏼‍💻 

( how did you do it ????) 

😘😘😘😘  

Excuse me Rob while I hijacks your thread just a second to help Teresa (Eurydice) out with a tecnical question. Ya' see, when the Admin Guy is unavoidable, the team relies on me as his Technical Assistant to help answet questions.

So Teresa, you go to that forum and you tap what I have circled for you and cipy it to yiur clipboard. Then you tap htlm...hit done. Then you come back here and tap onto ykur screen and the clipboard link will appear!!!!!

YAY FOR ME!!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂 Just can't help being so tickled with my computer nerd self! 🙂 🙂

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

Germany
26 April 2017 - 3:12 am

Bhaahahhahaa!!!😂😂😂😂 

totally yay! For you, Sally!!! 

And I love how Admin Guy is 'unavoidable '!!!! 

I'm sure he'll love that!!! 😂😂😂

Guardian of Manni the Wonderdog. -Or was it the other way around?
Osteo and amputation in Dec 2015. Second, inoperable, primary osteosarcoma found in June 2017.
The end of our adventures came Dec 10, 2017. 2 years to the day.

Manni's blog -dogblog-

26 April 2017 - 8:35 am

Tonight Bruno started doing something really weird. Earlier he was being a bit antsy after we came back inside from his "walk". He kept getting up often and moving around the house, eventually he went out on the balcony and laid down so I took the opportunity to go for a swim in the pool. Then he got up and started hopping around but really springing his back legs in an awkward way and he was going pretty fast for a few steps before I managed to stop him. He had a strange look in his eyes but calmed down as soon as I was holding him. After a little while he was half asleep as he usually is and then suddenly he started doing it again until he lost his footing and fell onto his belly. I thought that maybe some critter was biting his foot because he really was kicking his left hind leg so I gave him a good brushing and checked him thoroughly and could only find one small tick on him which him probably picked up from laying in the dirt outside.

Has anyone seen this bucking bronco behavior during a recovery?

He seems all calm again now but I am guessing that it will start again soon.

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 219
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17879
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: