TRIPAWDS: Home to 22969 Members and 2152 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Aratana Field Trial AT-014
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
15 April 2018 - 12:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

It's been awhile since I posted about our 11-year-old dog, Bree.  I owe an update here, but briefly...

She is currently 15 months post-diagnosis with no metastatic indications!  My wife and kids and I pray for her every night, so we know God is taking care of her.  We did SRT about a year ago, followed by Carboplatin.  The tumor started to regrow about 5 months in (left front humerus), so we amputated in September and did a round of Doxorubicin, which we finished in January.  We've also had her on the Melanoma Vaccine trial at UF.

We currently have the opportunity to take part in the Aratana field trial for the Listeria Vaccine.  This is a slightly different form of what Dr. Mason used at UPenn (with great success).  The field trial tests SAFETY and EFFICACY.  But we need some advice.

We are scheduled to be one of the first participants in this field trial.  With no signs of disease progression (thank God), we are concerned a bit about jumping in first.  There were some significant adverse effects from the clinical trials, though to my knowledge, all cases were treatable in hospital and it was a small percent of dogs.

Does it make sense to push our start a few weeks so as to not be first for a field trial?  It might also allow us to get in to a closer facility for care.

The other factor is that she has very bad arthritis in her back legs.  We know this could be aggravated by immune treatments.  It likely won't affect whether or not we participate, but the arthritis is becoming a significant concern.  She runs through the pain when playing, but it obviously bothers her walking around the house.

Any and all advice is GREATLY appreciated at this point!

15 April 2018 - 3:32 pm

Congratulations on all your success to-date.

You won't be the first to participate in the field trial, but it is spinning up slowly.  Casey had his first vaccination one week ago Friday, and while I can't discuss the study, I will say he came home after the required six hours of observation and at this time, is doing fine.

I was not aware that the virus was modified from the Penn study, however, if you have access to UF, they are doing their own study with their own vaccine (or at least that's the way it was explained to me).  Might be worth a phone call.

15 April 2018 - 3:41 pm

Hi there 🌺

My adored Eurydice is no longer with me but let me tell you if she was and if she would qualify I would not hesitate for one second in trying this.

These are exciting times, you are fighting the fight for all of us, that makes me SO proud of you guys ! 

Please keep updating!

Oh, I think I just heard Angel Eurydice’s happy laugh from the sky cheering you on🐮🌟💕 

Much love and cuddles and slobbery Angel kisses 😘😘🐮💫✨🌟🌹

Eurydice 77kg/170lb Great Dane limping end of April 2016, amputation (right front leg/osteosarcoma) 4 May 2016 6 courses of carboplatin followed by metronomic therapy, lung mets found 30 Nov 2016. 3 courses of doxorubicin, PET scan 26 Jan 2017 showed more mets so stopped chemo. Holistic route April 2017. Lung X-ray 5 May 2017 showed several tennis ball size mets, started cortisone and diuretics. Miss Cow earned her XXL silver wings 12 June 2017, 13 months and 1 week after amputation and 6 1/2 months after lung mets, she was the goofiest dawg ever and is now happily flying from cloud to cloud woof woofing away :-) 

15 April 2018 - 4:22 pm

tlahaye said
Congratulations on all your success to-date.
You won't be the first to participate in the field trial, but it is spinning up slowly.  Casey had his first vaccination one week ago Friday, and while I can't discuss the study, I will say he came home after the required six hours of observation and at this time, is doing fine.
I was not aware that the virus was modified from the Penn study, however, if you have access to UF, they are doing their own study with their own vaccine (or at least that's the way it was explained to me).  Might be worth a phone call.  

We did the UF melanoma vaccine as part of the treatment.  We plan to do the Aratana trial.  The issue is the timing of it.

You said you've already started... do you have more info on the risks?  Where are you going?  

15 April 2018 - 4:23 pm

Also... the vaccine was modified for shipping.  The basic mechanism of it hasn't changed.

15 April 2018 - 4:40 pm

One condition of participation is that we agree not to discuss it on social media, so it's hard to say much.  Casey experienced certain expected side effects, but virtually all were resolved within the six hour post-vaccine observation period.  That six hour period is established based on the experience gained at Penn.  The most worrisome issue Casey had resolved itself at 5 and 1/2 hours.

Casey is being treated in Virginia, but the oncologists here were in constant contact with Aratana as they monitored his response.  Casey is their first study participant

Keep in mind that we are injecting our dogs with a disease, trying to stimulate an immune response.  It's not the intention that they will get sick, but it is a shock to their systems, as is their systems' response.

FWIW, I was told UF is doing an osteosarcoma vaccine study with their own, proprietary vaccine.  Here is a link: mailto:Oncologydept@vetmed.ufl.edu.

Their study requires no prior chemo, but since you already have a relationship there . . .

On The Road

15 April 2018 - 4:42 pm

Don't miss the recent posts and video interviews about the Canine Osteosarcoma Vaccine and clinical trials in the Tripawds News blog ...

Get the Canine Osteosarcoma Vaccine Facts

Bowie’s Canine Osteosarcoma Vaccine Experience

AT-014 Canine Osteosarcoma Vaccine Helps Dogs Like Dexter Beat the Odds

Be sure to search the forums too...use the Advanced Search to refine your search terms for best results.

Search results for 'osteosarcoma vaccine' (15)

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

15 April 2018 - 5:18 pm

admin said
Don't miss the recent posts and video interviews about the Canine Osteosarcoma Vaccine and clinical trials in the Tripawds News blog ...

Get the Canine Osteosarcoma Vaccine Facts

Bowie’s Canine Osteosarcoma Vaccine Experience

AT-014 Canine Osteosarcoma Vaccine Helps Dogs Like Dexter Beat the Odds

Be sure to search the forums too...use the Advanced Search to refine your search terms for best results.

Search results for 'osteosarcoma vaccine' (15)  

Admin, thanks for the links.  Our situation is quite unique so looking for some opinions on timing for the trial.  And yes, I've searched all over to garner info.  Aratana is keeping data internal for now, it seems.  Appreciate all the info here!

15 April 2018 - 5:25 pm

tlahaye said
One condition of participation is that we agree not to discuss it on social media, so it's hard to say much.  Casey experienced certain expected side effects, but virtually all were resolved within the six hour post-vaccine observation period.  That six hour period is established based on the experience gained at Penn.  The most worrisome issue Casey had resolved itself at 5 and 1/2 hours.
Casey is being treated in Virginia, but the oncologists here were in constant contact with Aratana as they monitored his response.  Casey is their first study participant
Keep in mind that we are injecting our dogs with a disease, trying to stimulate an immune response.  It's not the intention that they will get sick, but it is a shock to their systems, as is their systems' response.
FWIW, I was told UF is doing an osteosarcoma vaccine study with their own, proprietary vaccine.  Here is a link: mailto:Oncologydept@vetmed.ufl.edu.

Their study requires no prior chemo, but since you already have a relationship there . . .  

tlahaye said

I *think* the UF one you are referring to is the one we're already in.  It is a melanoma vaccine modified for OSA.

Thanks for what you were able to share about the study.  Any idea how many dogs have already started?

16 April 2018 - 9:28 am

It is definitely an osteosarcoma study.

https://researc.....eosarcoma/

One thing to get a good understanding of is what T-cells and other antibodies these various vaccines stimulate.  Having done the melanoma vaccine, the osteo vaccine may be overkill.

16 April 2018 - 9:38 am

Not sure how many dogs, but not many.  I've posted elsewhere that my clinic planned on starting four dogs on 4/6, but three of the four dropped out (believed to be cost related).

One thing I learned is that the original 18 study dogs became 33 over time, and efficacy is pretty well established.  I believe this trial is testing safety and management of side effects, and in Casey's experience, it seems they have a pretty good handle on those also, but, 33 (and even 200 more) dogs are a very small sample.

16 April 2018 - 11:49 am

tlahaye said
It is definitely an osteosarcoma study.
https://researc.....eosarcoma/
One thing to get a good understanding of is what T-cells and other antibodies these various vaccines stimulate.  Having done the melanoma vaccine, the osteo vaccine may be overkill.  

Good call.  UF said they didn't believe there would be an contraindications between the two when I asked, though.

16 April 2018 - 9:25 pm

Just got some more info.  Because we already did one immunotherapy, there is some concern (really it's just an unknown) for how she'll respond to the live bacteria in the Aratana vaccine.  Again, UF is quite familiar with it and is not concerned, but it's still an unknown.

16 April 2018 - 9:27 pm

Also... the timing became somewhat of a moot issue as work and family obligations precluded us from making an early date.  We're looking at starting about 3 weeks from now... hopefully sooner if able.

And those links from the Admin have great info - lines up a lot with all I've been hearing and reading too.

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 131
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1268
Members: 17730
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: