TRIPAWDS: Home to 23148 Members and 2162 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Golden Tehya, Bone Cancer Amputation Dec. 29th, 2009
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Coquitlam, B.C. Canada
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
22 December 2009 - 10:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Oh my gosh, this is the worst afternoon ever. I got a call from the vet and he had been trying to get ahold of the vet that specializes in the cancer. Prognosis is 4-6 months or at the most 1 yr after her amputation. My husband and I are a wreck do we want to put her through the trauma of the amputation for worse case scenario 4-6 months? Are we being selfish and just wanting her with us longer? We have an appointment with the vet on the 27th to reevaluate the whole situation. Oh my gosh this is so hard. We don't want to say anything to our family and friends to just try and get through Xmas with Tehya and friends...please if you have any input I would be happy to hear!

Tehya's Mom writing through tears!

On The Road

22 December 2009 - 10:34 pm

We just missed you in the chat! Frown

The worst case scenario would be complications during surgery, or worse living with the increasing tumor pain for a short time and risk of breaking the leg or a more traumatic emergency. Recovery from amputation usually goes smoothly for most dogs and rarely lasts more than a few weeks. We like to remind everybody who goes through this that it is all about quality of life, not quantity.

Most everyone here knows exactly how hard these decisions you face are. But think about what is best for Tehya. Best wishes with whatever you decide.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

22 December 2009 - 10:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

admin said:

We like to remind everybody who goes through this that it is all about quality of life, not quantity.

Darlene, Tehya, and family,

For us there never really was any choice, only amputation followed by a very aggressive chemotherapy treatment provided us with the best chance to return Cherry to the quality of life that had defined her years before cancer.  I went into this journey knowing that the amputation would stop the pain, but that the cancer would probably reappear in time.  I did not want this to be about my selfishly holding onto Cherry, but rather giving her the best chance to recover.  I told myself that if we could only have a few pain free months, doing the things that Cherry and I both love then it would have been worth the fight.  That was more than thirteen months ago and the vast majority of those months were excellent.  There were five who had their amputation over a four week interval.  Nova was the first on November 11, 2008, then Cherry, Max, Trouble, and Tika was the last of those five on December 9, 2008.  To date, we have only lost Tika.  The choice will be your and I am sure that you will make the best choice possible for Tehya for NO ONE know Tehya like you do.  I would like to direct you to a discussion topic where this community shared any regrets.  LINK

This community will be here for support no matter what your decision.

Bob & Cherry

Kirkland, WA
23 December 2009 - 8:02 am

When we learned that the prognosis is usually about 6 months or a year, it was devastating.  We had plans with Jack, we wanted to get a house with a yard that he could run in, we wanted to take him on trips, and to find out that this may not be possible was a punch in the gut.  Amputation was the only way to get rid of the big cancer tumor and ruined bone (well, limb sparing surgery but we opted not to do that).  When I saw how happy he was to just be feeling better, to be able to run without any pain and to go for walks without sitting to hold up his paw, my mindset changed to just wanting to make him as content as possible for as long as he is willing to stick around.  Our job as pawrents is to give our babies the best life we can, and if they are happy and loved, then we have done our job.  Yes, the thought of losing Tehya so soon is scary, but every dog will fight the cancer in their own way.  I recently heard of a dog who had only his tumor removed, no amputation and no chemo, and he lived 8 more years.  And some dogs have chemo and only live a couple months longer.  We don't know what will happen, and that is the sucky part.  I started out thinking that 6 months sounded like such a short time, but now I can't believe we will be celbrating the big 7-month ampuversary in just a little over a week!  I feel like Jack is so much happier and healthier now than he has been in a loooong time, that the past 7 months have felt like he's lived a full and complete life...7 months feels like forever 🙂  And remember, Tehya doesn't know she has cancer, she doesn't know what a "prognosis" is, she probably just wants to get back to doing the things she has always enjoyed.  Best of Luck in your decision! 

<3 Laura and Jackers

My heart lives at Rainbow Bridge
23 December 2009 - 4:03 pm

This diagnosis and the difficult decisions that follow are very personal choices. You must make the decision based on what will provide the best quality of life for Tehya.  Using this as your basis for decision making, you will never go wrong.

For us the initial diagnosis was made on a Monday at 4:30PM, the prognosis was 2 months without treatment, and because Trouble was overweight the options were not encouraged.  My world ended.  I was devistated. I took her home with a large bottle of Tramadol to dull the pain. My husband wouldn't take that fate without a second opinion.  We made arrangements to take her to a specialty clinic in Houston.  I dreaded having to make a 2 hour trip one way with a dog in pain.  The same day we made an appointment with a local vet we had used for consultation on her allergies.  He could see us at 5PM (24 hours after diagnosis).  This was the person who turned us around.  He took his time and talked us through all the options.  He explained in detail the only option for her to live out the remainder of her life pain free was with amputation.  He acknowledged her extra weight would make it a little more difficult, but he whole heartedly believed this was the only pain free option. He didn't ask for a decision that evening.  He told us he would be there the next morning prepared to do surgery if that was our choice.  At 7AM Wednesday morning, I dropped her off for surgery.  I was frightened, not at all sure we had done the right thing, I drove to work in tears.  The vet called my husband twice prior to surgery.  They discussed in detail the results of the pre-surgery x-rays.  The tumor appeared to be contained and there was no evidence of lung mets.  After she was anethesized, he called again to give us the option to do only a biopsy.  We declined and went forward with the amputation.

It was not until we picked her up on Friday that I knew we had made the right decision.  I knew there would be an adjustment period, but I could tell immediately when I saw her she had a new lease on life.

When it was time to start her on chemo, we asked this wonderful vet to please consult with the veterinary college and administer the drug locally.  I knew with him she would have great care, and we wouldn't need to make that really long trip every three weeks.

Over the next few weeks, she lost 14 lbs. She is doing well 13 months later and I am thankful every day to still have her beside me.

Each case is different, but this is our story and I am happy to be able to share it with others.  If it helps just one more tripawd family, it will be well worth the time it takes to share.  Best of luck to you and Tehya.  We're on your side, and wishing for the very best outcome.

Shanna & Spirit Trouble ~ Trouble gained her wings 3/16/2011, a 27 1/2 month cancer survivor, tail wagging. RIP sweetheart, you are my heart and soul.  Run free at Rainbow Bridge.
The November Five - Spirits Max, Cherry, Tika, Trouble & Nova. 11/2008 - 3/2013 An era ends as Queen Nova crossed the Bridge.

23 December 2009 - 8:52 pm

Darlene, Tehya, and family,

I know how hard it is to hear the average life expectancy.  The bottom fell out of my world and I can only imagine you feel the same way.  We went with amputation and chemo with Emily figuring we would probably have a year, possible more.  We only got 5 1/2 months before the cancer went to her spine.  Do I have regrets? Absolutely not.  Without amputation Emily would have continued to be in severe pain.  I didn't realize how painful bone cancer must be until Emily felt better post-amp than pre-amp.  There is never enough time and I miss my baby girl so much but I know that we gave her every chance at life and her remaining days were pain free because we choose amputation.

Tehya doesn't worry about the future the way we do. She knows the here and now.  If she only has four pain free months remember that the 'pain free' is what she will know.  'Four months' doesn't mean anything to her. Dogs don't live by the calendar like we do.

I know it is not what you want to her and it is devastating for you.  It is not selfish to want her with you.  Choosing to end her pain with amputation is an act of love not selfishness.

I am praying for you and your baby.

Debra & Angel Emily

Debra & Emily, a five year old doberman mix, who was diagnosed with an osteosaecoma. She had a right rear leg amputation on May 19, 2009. On November 10, 2009 she earned her wings and regained her fourth leg.

My heart lives at Rainbow Bridge
24 December 2009 - 5:43 am

Again, just from my perspective.  Trouble hopped out to great us looking for acceptance. You could tell by the look on her face she needed to know WE accepted her in the different state.  When she was met with a happy voice and lots of loving, she knew all was well. 

That doesn't mean recovery was easy, or that we didn't have our obsticles to work around, it only means she knew we were there to love her as she embarked on the new journey.

As for incisions, they too are as different as pain med reactions.  Trouble's incision had all internal stitching and looked like a plastic surgeon had done it.  There were no bandages, there was no drainage.  There was some bruising. 

Image Enlarger

If I recall correctly this photo was taken in the first few days.

Shanna & Spirit Trouble ~ Trouble gained her wings 3/16/2011, a 27 1/2 month cancer survivor, tail wagging. RIP sweetheart, you are my heart and soul.  Run free at Rainbow Bridge.
The November Five - Spirits Max, Cherry, Tika, Trouble & Nova. 11/2008 - 3/2013 An era ends as Queen Nova crossed the Bridge.

Wesley Chapel, FL
24 December 2009 - 11:29 am

Yes the prognosis is very devastating... but the recovery from the amputation is usually about 2 weeks... After that, they are pain-free from their cancer leg... and you can all share some good quality time together. Some dogs here make it way past the median survival (like a year or two), others (like my sweet Jake) much less... But you are taking a chance... That's what we did with Jake... We wish he had had a longer time with us... but it was not meant to be. But we have NEVER regreted taking that chance! We had some good quality time with him... as you can see on his blog.

Angel Jake and Wolfie's Mom

Jake, 10yr old golden retriever (fractured his front right leg on 9/1, bone biopsy revealed osteosarcoma on 9/10, amputation on 9/17) and his family Marguerite, Jacques and Wolfie, 5yr old german shepherd and the newest addition to the family, Nala, a 7mth old Bengal mix kittie. Jake lost his battle on 11/9/2009, almost 8 weeks after his surgery. We will never forget our sweet golden angel… http://jakesjou.....ipawds.com ….. CANCER SUCKS!

24 December 2009 - 2:07 pm

Do not worry too much about statistics!  It is true that average survival with amputation alone is 4-6 months and average survival with amp and chemo is 1-2 years but there are many exceptions to this.  I am a vet and at our practice alone we have seen several dogs go over 2 years with amputation alone. My dog Tazzie lived 14 months after surgery and chemo and she was very happy the entire time (until her last day when the tumor went to her spine).  I know it is frightening to think of amputating your dog's leg when you can't predict the outcome, but if it takes her pain away and gives you some more quality time then isn't that worth it? 

Pam

Coquitlam, B.C. Canada
27 December 2009 - 4:02 pm

Well a lot has happened since I last posted and once again the support on this site is truly amazing. All through Christmas Tehya was like a puppy so active and happy that we took it as a sign that she wanted to fight this dreaded disease. We met with our vet again and have decided to give her the fighting chance that she deserves so her surgery is still scheduled for Tuesday morning. We read the sight that Bob suggested as to having any regrets and there were none..like you all have said if she can live even 4 more months with no pain that will be truly awesome.
Thank you all so much for listening to me on this very emotional roller coaster ride.

Darlene

27 December 2009 - 4:56 pm

Darlene,

I'm glad that you decided to go ahead with the amputation.  Even though the recovery can be difficult it is the only way to stop the pain from the bone cancer.  Please keep us updated and know that I will be praying.

Debra & Angel Emily

Debra & Emily, a five year old doberman mix, who was diagnosed with an osteosaecoma. She had a right rear leg amputation on May 19, 2009. On November 10, 2009 she earned her wings and regained her fourth leg.

On The Road

27 December 2009 - 5:09 pm

Thanks for the update! Best wishes for a perfect procedure and quick trouble-free recovery. We look forward to following Tehya's progress.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

27 December 2009 - 6:02 pm

Darlene and Tehya,

We are so happy that this community has helped.  As we said from the very start, this is a community filled with wonderful people who will share their collective experience, provide excellent suggestions, and give support.  We all here can relate to your description of an emotional roller coaster ride and I hope that you realize that the first two weeks will only continue with the ups and downs.  I hope that you are already making entries into that journal to accurately record what you are going through.  I did not find this site until a week into Cherry's TriPawd Journey and there is no doubt about the fact that it would have been better and easier if we had found this site earlier.

There is a long list of things penciled in for the 29th, but do not fear that we will forget you.  To the contray - we will be sending positive thoughts northward and you will be on our list of prayers.  Be sure to log back in to give us an update and do not be afraid to share you experiences with the community.  Already the process that you went through to make this decision might help the next person facing this very difficult diagnosis.

Until the 29th, Paws Crossed and Sending Pawsititve Thoughts,

Bob & Cherry

PS:  Please know that there was never a doubt that you would make the best decision for Tehya, and I know that even if your decision had been the opposite of the one you have made, you would have recieved nothing but support from this community.  We live by the motto that because of love, you will always make the best decision possible for your companion.

29 December 2009 - 8:57 am

Darlene and Tehya,

Whether you continue this topic or start a new one with Tehya's recovery updates, we wanted you to know that we did not forget and will be praying for a very successful operation, wonderful homecomming, and fast recovery.

Bob & Cherry

29 December 2009 - 9:16 am

Praying today.  Keep us informed.

Debra & Angel Emily

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 211
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17900
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: