TRIPAWDS: Home to 23151 Members and 2162 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Golden Tehya, Bone Cancer Amputation Dec. 29th, 2009
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Coquitlam, B.C. Canada
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
29 December 2009 - 9:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Thank you Bob and Debra I just came home from dropping Tehya off at the Vet. I will try and figure out the blog thing today so I can keep a journal of her recovery.

Your prayers for us are so much appreciated.

Darlene

My heart lives at Rainbow Bridge
29 December 2009 - 10:48 am

Thinking of you and Tehya today.  Today is a new beginning for both of you.

Shanna & Spirit Trouble ~ Trouble gained her wings 3/16/2011, a 27 1/2 month cancer survivor, tail wagging. RIP sweetheart, you are my heart and soul.  Run free at Rainbow Bridge.
The November Five - Spirits Max, Cherry, Tika, Trouble & Nova. 11/2008 - 3/2013 An era ends as Queen Nova crossed the Bridge.

On The Road

29 December 2009 - 11:00 am

tehya1 said:

I will try and figure out the blog thing today...

Looks like you're off to a good start by changing the theme. To publish journal entries, just visit your blog dashboard and click on Posts -> Add New. If you need help getting started, you may find our WordPress tutorial videos quite helpful. Please post any questions you may have in the Tech Support forum so we can share the answers with others.

Best wishes for Tehya today! We'll be looking for an update about her flawless procedure and fast recovery.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Arizona
29 December 2009 - 11:10 am

All the best to Tehya today, hope for a speedy recovery. When you next see Tehya she will look a little different and the first week or so will probably be hard but she will again be her happy self and she will amaze you at how she will adapt. smiley2

Jo Ann & Tasha

Tasha 8 years old, First cancer diagnosis 6/26/09, Last cancer diagnosis 9/26/09, Amputation 10/01/09, Loving our girl moment by moment.

Tasha lost her battle and became my Angel on May 4 2011. Forever in my heart….

Coquitlam, B.C. Canada
29 December 2009 - 11:01 pm

Bob the tears are rolling down my face now remembering this morning when you sent prayers my way for Tehya's surgery. You are an amazing person to be able to think of others in your time of grief. Thank you so much and I am sending prayers back for your darling Cherry who is now pain free and playing in the fields after crossing the Rainbow Bridge!

New England
29 December 2009 - 11:20 pm

Darlene and Tehya,

I am late jumping on the welcoming bandwagon. But I also wanted to say welcome to the site... and my thoughts are with you and Tehya. Keep us updated!

My Peanut was a 6 yr old Saint Bernard. She was diagnosed with osteosarcoma in early Sept '09, and had her surgery 9/16. She had a wonderful few more months after surgery, before heart failure took her 12/26. After her surgery, the surgeon advised us that her tumor was so bad, she would not have lived 1 month without surgery, and we most likely would have had to euthanize her sooner because of pain. Although Peanut's post-op time was shorter than most, I have absolutely no regrets. It was always about providing Peanut with a pain free existence.

-Melanie, spirit Peanut, and Bubba.

~*~*~ Peanut is strength, love, and happiness. ~*~*~ 11/30/03 – 12/26/09

Winnipeg
29 December 2009 - 11:31 pm

Hi Darlene and Tehya

Welcome from another tripawd north of the 49th, over in Winnipeg. I am slow to see your story because I am on the road and maybe don't keep on top of the newbie stories as much as I ought to these days. I see you have had no shortage of input from other people. I know your mind is on other things today (I hope everything went well). I can make a few suggestions about gear on our side of the border.

Some pet stores do carry Ruff Wear products. There is also a company on this website, called "Chimpfeet" that sent me products. I just phoned in the order and they sent them by regular mail to Canada. Most the other companies on this website indicate they handle international orders, but I sure could not get them to work.

A life jacket will be important to keep Tehya balanced so she can put her swimming energy into moving forward. My Tazzie got a bit tipsy when he swam without a life jacket. I have a Portage life jacket (a different model of Ruff Wear but similar to the float coat ) that I can send you. When I get home in a few days, we can check the size, but I am sure it is a Large. But when does the swimming season begin in B.C.? Can you actually swim during winter (if so I am ReALLy jealous).

You can ask the clinic if they have a sling to send home with you. I can mail you one that my clinic gave me, but it probably won't really get there early enough to be of much use. But if you would like it, I'm happy to do that. I found it handy to carry even a couple months later as insurance that I could help Tazzie home if needed. For walks, at least as winter approached, we tended to use the harness, but the sling was quick and easy to bring along for a short hop.

We had 4&1/2 months following amputation. Tazzie passed three weeks ago. Although the first month was not great (Tazzie was a slow-starter), I'd say the next few might have been the best of his life. It was a wonderful and amazing time, probably largely thanks to support from people on this website (and mostly thanks to our fearless leaders for starting this website). I expect the time would have been depressing if we didn't have people in the same mindset, that of enjoying each day and not worrying how long is left. Tazzie was happy and active until the day he died, at which point a secondary tumor and associated pain was starting to get the best of him. Dogs are amazing for how they seem to be able to keep a certain amount of pain in the background while they go about the serious business of enjoying themselves.

Susan and Tazzie in my heart

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 190
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17901
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3