TRIPAWDS: Home to 23142 Members and 2162 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Golden Tehya, Bone Cancer Amputation Dec. 29th, 2009
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Coquitlam, B.C. Canada
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
20 December 2009 - 12:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi everyone, my beautiful Golden is getting her right front leg amputated on Dec. 29th and we are at a loss as to what to expect when we bring her home.
I do have some questions if you could help with the answers it would be much appreciated. Sorry I can't figure out the blog thing yet!
1) Is there anything we can get for her right away to help with mobility when she has to go outside to do her business? I was looking at the onsite harness but didn't know if they would work with the stitches etc.
2) I also see the beds that are available that are washable and a bit more firm then the one she has now is that something we should consider?

Thanks so much
Tehya's Mom

On The Road

20 December 2009 - 1:19 pm

Thank you for joining Tehya! We just missed you in the chat room ...

Tell your mom to let us know more about why you're having your leg amputated. We look forward to hearing all about you, and wish you a  speedy complete recovery.

Tehya's Mom: A pet support harness will indeed help you assist Tehya on stairs and in/out of vehicles when necessary. We recommend not using the harness until the surgery has completely healed and stitches or staples are removed. We have heard of no specific cases where any harness has hampered healing, but we believe direct pressure from the straps may irritate the wound. Please consult your veterinarian with any concerns.

We suggest using a soft towel slung under the belly if additional support is required in the meantime. A reusable canvas shopping bag slit down the sides also makes a handy temporary sling.

The Flophouse is also a great portable bed for recovery, but any low firm matress should be comfortable. Just keep in mind that Ruff Wear will not ship to Canada for us, so check for international dealers if your considering purchasing any of their produtcs from the Tripawds shop.

Finally, be sure to search the forums for any specific concerns as most questions have been answered already. And don't miss Jerry's top ten Q&A blog posts. You can add a new blog any time by clicking the sign-up button above and can find help getting started with our WordPress tutorial videos.

Hope this helps, thanks again for joining.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

zoes4life
20 December 2009 - 1:37 pm

Welcome to this website, I'm very sorry to hear about your baby.  After the surgery I used recyclable shopping bags, just cut them down the sides, use like a sling, it worked well for me.  I think they recommend the sling until the staples come out, then the harness is definetely worth getting, in my opinion.  As far as beds go, I'm not sure, I would say just have old towels or blankets covering where she will be at.  If she is allowed on furniture, try to limit her at first from being tempted to jump up on anything or go on stairs.  If you have hard surface floors get rugs so she doesn't slip.  I think alot of people pick an area and kinda tripawd proof it.  I would pick a place close to the door and someplace you may find yourself being able to sleep nearby.  If you don't mind me asking what is the cause of her amputation?  I know this is a tough time, for whatever the reason, to have to make this decision.  Please feel free to ask any questions, you will find that this is a group of kind and knowledgeable people on here, to give information and the most important peace of mind and support.

Madison, WI
20 December 2009 - 1:49 pm

Age and whether it's a front or rear leg amputation will make a difference.  Yoda was 5 when he had his front leg amputated and he did great, however, I'm going through this the second time with a foster dog (Gerry) who is about 2 years old and a rear-leg amputee and he's been good to take normal-length walks from the start.  Yoda did very well too, but there's a lot more weight on the one leg in front than a one leg in back, so Yoda had to take a lot more time building up his endurance, probably 2 to 3 weeks.  Every dog is differnt though, even with the same age and same leg.

Yoda did fine with his regular bed.  Gerry is only four days past his amputation, but I think I can safely say the same for him.  He slept great his first day and a half home.  He's been having troubles since balancing his meds and/or his pain though and is tripping out and pretty restless and unwilling to lay down. 

Recovery can be a stressful time!  Make sure you're as rested as possible going into your dog's recovery time. 

Yoda&Mom united: 9/5/06 …….… Yoda&Leg separated: 6/5/09……… Yoda&Leg reunited: 10/14/09 ……… ……………….………….………….……. Yoda&Mom NEVER separated! …………………….….……....….…… Though Spirit Yoda currently free-lances as a rabbit hunting instructor for tripawds nationwide

Coquitlam, B.C. Canada
20 December 2009 - 1:53 pm

Hi thank you very much for the quick response. She has bone cancer in her front right leg quite a large tumor. We have been dealing with getting biopsies and such for the past six weeks. Now that we know the cancer hasn't spread we have come to the decision of having her leg amputated. She is a beautiful 10 year old Golden who still has so much life left in her. Our vet has assured us that she will adapt just fine and after reading the stories on the blogs here I am too quite convinced that she will get along quite well. We still have to meet with the vet that will administer the chemo we are not sure how many treatments she will need to have but hopefully not too many.
Thank you so much for the input on how to help her get around right away. We have hardwood floors at home, however we have gone out and purchased rubber backed runners and large area mats with rubber back to help her adjust. We also have an area downstairs in our family room where she can stay comfortably with us being able to sleep on the sofabed next to her. That area is carpeted and very close to the door where she can go out with no stairs. In the next few days I will get on the blog site and start posting her story with pictures. The support that you all give is wonderful and much appreciated as you all know these are very emotional times!

20 December 2009 - 5:23 pm

Welcome to tripawds but I sure am sorry you need to be here.  The first two weeks are the hardest.  It really is hard to tell what is pain and what is a reaction to the pain meds.  My Emily was a back leg amputation and I think Gerry's Foster Mom is right about it being easier for them.  Dogs carry 60% of their weight on their front legs so it makes sense that you can expect endurance to take longer for front leg amputees like Tehya.

It sounds like you are getting your house tripawd ready.  There are two things I would suggest.  One  is a raised food dish.  It will help with Tehya's balance if she doesn't have to lower her head all the way to the floor.   It doesn't have to be on of those fancy ones, we just put Emily's dish on a stool.  The second is to start her on a joint supplement if she is not already on one.

Bob will post I'm sure on the importance of taking care of Tehya's spirit as well as her physical body.  I will not expand on that because he says it so well.  (Thanks, Bob.) 

Prepare yourself to be as positive as you can be for Tehya.  As a pack animal she will be watching the alpha (hopefully that is you) to decide how she should react to her amputation.  When you have to cry, and you will, try not to do it in front of her.

Good luck.  Play around with the forums. They are full of good advice.  When Emily was diagnoses and subsequently died these are the people that helded me together.  Post when you have questions or concerns and when you have triumphs.  We really do care. Tehya will be in my prayers.

Debra & Angel Emily 

Debra & Emily, a five year old doberman mix, who was diagnosed with an osteosaecoma. She had a right rear leg amputation on May 19, 2009. On November 10, 2009 she earned her wings and regained her fourth leg.

My heart lives at Rainbow Bridge
20 December 2009 - 6:19 pm

Welcome from our house, too.  It's nice you are able to prepare ahead of time.  I stumbled into it and made adjustments as they became necessary.  We had less then 36 hours from the time Trouble was diagnosed until she had a second opinion, and an amputation.

I think one of the most important things looking back was that first meeting after her surgery.  She was definitely looking to us to see if we still loved her and if all was ok.  The minute she had that affirmation, she was good to go.

Here's sending you lots of healing vibes to get you through the recovery.  Recovery isn't fun, but for most it only lasts about 2 weeks.

Shanna & Spirit Trouble ~ Trouble gained her wings 3/16/2011, a 27 1/2 month cancer survivor, tail wagging. RIP sweetheart, you are my heart and soul.  Run free at Rainbow Bridge.
The November Five - Spirits Max, Cherry, Tika, Trouble & Nova. 11/2008 - 3/2013 An era ends as Queen Nova crossed the Bridge.

Wesley Chapel, FL
20 December 2009 - 9:07 pm

Welcome Tehya's mom!

I'm so sorry to hear about Tehya's bone cancer diagnosis. I know how devastating that is...

My sweet Jake was also a 10yr old golden retriever... and he first broke his front leg, and had a bone biopsy done afterwards (because it looked suspicious on the x-rays) and that's when we found out it was bone cancer. He had his amputation surgery on Sept 17th... He recovered quickly from it (but the first week or so is definitely the worst!)... and he did so well for several weeks. He played and swam in our pool... really enjoyed his life until the end. But unfortunately in his case, his cancer had spread to his spine in less than 8 weeks after his surgery. But don't worry, because there are so many other dogs here that live way, way longer than that! That is the reason we went ahead with the surgery, because of Jerry and so many others that beat the odds. We decided to take a chance... and we have never ever regreted doing the surgery. Even though Jake didn't live as long as so many others here... He was happy, pain-free and super spoiled and loved until the end!!

We used a towel as a sling right after Jake's surgery... until our sling came in from Foster & Smith. You can see pictures of it on Jake's blog. As soon as Jake's stitches came off 2 weeks later, he started wearing the ruffware harness... It was a tremendous help!! We also had an orthopedic doggie bed and several comforters placed around the house in all the rooms we'd hang out in. I took a week off from work to be home with him after his surgery... Jake also wore a T-shirt, so he wouldn't lick at his incision, though he had a pressure bandage for the first couple of days. But once that came off... he wanted to lick at the incision all the time. When I couldn't watch him, he'd wear an e-collar... but that was just for a few days. Once his stitches came out, he was able to go swimming in our pool. He loved that!!! Another Tripawds member sent us a K9 Float Coat and Jake used it till the end!!! It helped him balance while swimming... and also had a handle that I used to help him in and out of the pool.

I'll be thinking of you and Tehya on the 29th... Sending good thoughts your way!! Big Blink

Angel Jake's Mom

Jake, 10yr old golden retriever (fractured his front right leg on 9/1, bone biopsy revealed osteosarcoma on 9/10, amputation on 9/17) and his family Marguerite, Jacques and Wolfie, 5yr old german shepherd and the newest addition to the family, Nala, a 7mth old Bengal mix kittie. Jake lost his battle on 11/9/2009, almost 8 weeks after his surgery. We will never forget our sweet golden angel… http://jakesjou.....ipawds.com ….. CANCER SUCKS!

20 December 2009 - 10:32 pm

Tehya and Mom,

We are very sorry to hear of Tahya's diagnosis but you have found a great community filled with wonderful people who will share their diverse experience base, provide assistance, and give support.  You can tell from the great suggestions above.  Cherry is a front left amputee and used a sling (provided by our surgen) similar to the one Jake's Mom suggested.  It really worked out great to help balance on the toilet runs.  Also, you will be amazed how quickly they will adapt and you should be able to get Tehya back to a good quality of life.  The journey may be difficult but it is definately worth the effort and you may end up as lucky as Nova, Cherry, Max and Trouble.  All four had their amputations in November 2008, all from cancer, and all are still with us today.

Now for my usual set of suggestions that may help you prepare for Tehya’s return from surgery.  Stealing from a Jerry posting, I would suggest:

What to Expect Part 1:  http://tinyurl......tToExpect1

What to Expect Part 2:  http://tinyurl......tToExpect2

Also, there are my usual suggestions:

1)  Remain as positive as possible around Tehya.  They will pick up on your feelings and if you are down, it will only make it harder.  I have often left Cherry, left the house, and then totally lost it before regaining composure and returning with a smile.  It will make a difference.

2)  Remember to treat the spirit as well as the body.  Find something that they love and can still do during recovery.  Then exploit that love to give them purpose.  For Cherry, it was/is her trips in the truck/car.  It was the first and for a long time, the only place that she would willingly take food when offered.  To this day, as the time when she thinks that she is going for a ride approaches, you can see the excitement grow.  Jake's mom would probably tell you that for Jake it was the swimming pool.  Once Jake saw the pool and was allowed back in, the improvement appears to have been remarkable.  View the Fun!  Doug and Heidi will tell you that for Molly it continues to be canoe trips.  Watch her celebrate her one year anpuversary!  Finally there is Calpurnia who loves the life filled with the outdoors and sledding and has survived the amputation for more than two years.  View the fun!  Help them find a purpose to fight.

3)  Consider keeping a journal.  I kept a journal and posted much it on-line.  It allowed me to go back days/weeks/months and make a good comparison.  The detail that you keep in this journal is more than I would ever put into a blog which is also a great idea.  This very detailed journal really helped to make honest assessments of Cherry's progress during the ups and downs of recovery.  Our oncologist actually used these journal postings to keep up to speed on Cherry's condition.  I have a page of thumbnail photos (with links to larger versions) covering from just after the diagnosis, first days home, chemotherapy treatment, through recent days.  View Cherry’s TriPawd photos.

We have penciled in the 29th on the calendar and will be sending positive thoughts and prayers you way.  I will close by saying that many of the individuals above have lost their battle with cancer but are wonderful angles still contributing to this community.  You will not be facing this battle alone, but alongside with some of the most courageous individuals imaginable.  Also, knowing this community, there will be more long before the 29th.

Paws Crossed and Pawsitive Thoughts,

Bob & Cherry

Kirkland, WA
21 December 2009 - 8:18 am

Hello!  14 months ago, my dog, Jack, started limping.  We had 8 months of mis-diagnosis before he started to grow a bump on his right distal ulna.  We decided on amputation and did 4 rounds of chemo (adriamycin).  We are at 6-1/2 months post diagnosis and amputation, and the only health problem Jack has now is the recently discovered joy of allergies.  I have decided not to do any more x-rays because I feel like knowing wouldn't change anything...I just want him to enjoy his little doggie life 🙂  Considering he went 8 months without treatment, I feel very fortunate that we still have him happy and healthy almost 7 months after surgery.  As far as advice, I would say to make sure that Tehya takes it easy after her surgery.  We had to take Jack back to the vet because he was too active and ended up with severe abdominal bruising.  Also, see if the doctor can send you home with some gabapentin - it will help with nerve/phantom pain and may even help prevent it.  Good luck next week...we'll be thinking about you guys 🙂

<3 Laura and Sleepy Jack

Coquitlam, B.C. Canada
21 December 2009 - 9:52 am

Hello everyone, I can't thank you enough for all of the support and suggestions that you have given us! Today my husband is going to build the stand for Tehya's dishes (thank you Debra for that suggestion) so that they will be higher for her. I am going to make sure I have her favorite food on hand so that we can entice her to eat during her recovery period.
Her favorite thing in the whole world is swimming we have a summer home and she will swim with our neighbors children for hours at a time so before summer we will make sure that we get the ruffwear swim jacket to help her with that. Her next favorite thing is to be up on her Dad's lap when he is relaxing in the recliner we will make sure adjustments so that she can still be in his lap even if it isn't in the recliner.

The hardest thing I know will be not to show her our emotions and to say to ourselves that we have eased her pain and now she will have the chance to enjoy her life once again to the fullest. We are a long way from being mentally prepared for when we pick her up however with the continued support that we have been receiving from this site it is certainly reinforcing our decision and helping us to adjust!

I will be starting my journal soon so that I too can monitor Tehya's progress!

A big thank you hug to you all!
Darlene Tehya's Mom

On The Road

21 December 2009 - 11:24 am

Sounds like you are more prepared than you think... 🙂 Best wishes!

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Arizona
21 December 2009 - 1:12 pm

I was very scared thinking about what my first reaction would be when I first saw Tasha. I thought I would just fall apart and be really freaked by the incision, but it wasn't as bad as I had made it out to be in my head. When she came hopping into us and was so happy, wiggling, all I could feel was joy to see her standing in front of us. Recovery can be a hard time on you and Tehya but most dogs in 2 weeks or so are amazing you at how they adapt. I will be praying for a speedy recovery for Tehya.

Jo Ann & Tasha

Tasha 8 years old, First cancer diagnosis 6/26/09, Last cancer diagnosis 9/26/09, Amputation 10/01/09, Loving our girl moment by moment.

Tasha lost her battle and became my Angel on May 4 2011. Forever in my heart….

Kirkland, WA
21 December 2009 - 10:50 pm

If Tehya isn't wearing a compression bandage, be prepared to see a big, ugly, y-shaped wound put back together with staples or stitches.  It may be leaking fluid, it may not be.  I wasn't worried about seeing Jack with 3 legs, but I really wasn't prepared for him to come hopping out with 2 long "udders" on either side of his surgery site (where the extra skin was hanging).  I think it all depends on how the surgeon performs the surgery, but through healing, the skin flaps shrunk and now you can't even tell they're there (his fur hides them nicely).  I actually had them put a bandage on Jack so I could take him home right away and not have to worry about his wound leaking all over or worry about touching the surgery site or getting the stitches caught on something and having them tear.  You will probably be a little nervous to see her right after surgery, but remember that only her leg got removed...not her spirit or her personality.  She is the same dog you left there, just with a little less weight.  Dogs can pick up on emotions, so she may be able to sense if you're aprehensive or sad.  I'm sure you'll just be so excited to get her back that you won't even notice she has 3 legs - I look at pictures of Jack now before surgery and he looks weird with 4 😛  Again, good luck 🙂

<3 Laura and Jackers

krun15
21 December 2009 - 11:17 pm

Hi Darlene,
My tripawd Maggie is a rear amp, and is pretty small (16.5 lbs). Like Trouble's parents I went from diagnosis to amp in a couple of days. And this site was not yet in existence, Mag had her amp just a couple of months before Jerry.
I was OK when I first saw her when I picked her up. I think I had the most trouble remaining positive as we got into the healing process. All the pups respond differently- Mag was slow to adapt, and she was really unhappy at first. It was really hard to see her feeling so bad and discouraged, sometimes it made me question my decision. But once we got through the first couple of weeks it got a lot better, so don't get discouraged if Tehya isn't herself for a bit.

Good luck with the surgery and I'll be looking for updates.

Karen and the pug girls

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: Janine
Guest(s) 159
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17894
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3