TRIPAWDS: Home to 23165 Members and 2162 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Need Your Input - Amputation Scheduled for 3/22
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Houston, Texas
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
20 March 2012 - 12:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

My wife and I own one of the best ever Goldens.  Her name is Maggie.  She is a little over 6 1/2 and is scheduled for front/right amputation this Thursday, March 22nd.  She has a tumor in her right wrist and we are told it is Osteosarcoma.  We are heartbroken with this news.  She shows really little discomfort and has only a slight limp.  Recent lung / abdomen xray show her to be clear of any evidence of additional tumors. 

I am very concerned with post op problems and then the Chemo.  I've researched a great deal and I'm told that most dogs handle amputation and chemo well.  Our vets and the oncologist say the same.  The bottom line for us is to give Mags quality of life.  I don't want to put her through the surgery/chemo and then have a sad unhappy girl.  I would appreciate any comments good and or bad anyone may want to share.

Thank you in advance very much.  Silver

Portage Lake, Maine
20 March 2012 - 12:17 pm

Hello, from one Maggie owner to another winker

You are going through some rough times right now, my friend, emotionally..  Her pain will only increase and the chance of spread is great...IMO, I would amputate just as soon as you can(as you are). 

I won't sugar coat the recovery process...it will have up's and down's...some dog's have next to no trouble recouping, it seems, but others have a rockier road(my Maggie did).

But if you know in your heart, this will help your Maggie...then it's the best decision. 

Do your research...get yourself educated on both...and feel good about your decisions..

Will you have a sad, unhappy girl afterwards?  Only she will be able to tell you that but I'm highly doubting it AFTER the recovery...give her some time and things will start looking up as time goes on!

We're here for you!

Tracy, Maggie's Mom

Maggie was amputated for soft tissue sarcoma 10-20-09

Maggie lost her battle with kidney disease on 8-24-13

http://maggie.t.....t-24-2013/

San Diego, CA
20 March 2012 - 12:19 pm

Welcome Silver and Maggie,

I would say - first of all, just get through the amp and then worry about the chemo. (But, yes, your vet is right. Most dogs really do great with both.)

In all the time I've been on this site, I've only ever seen one person say they regretted doing the amp. Everyone else is always very happy with the decision. They might not feel that way oh, say, about 5-days post op when they're still deep in the weeds of the recovery - but really the surgery is harder on us humans than it is on the dogs. Once the dog is off the pain meds (usually about 12-14 days) you will see her old personality come back. You'll see her smile. You'll realize just how much pain she was hiding from you!

Bone cancer is incredibly painful. The amp will relieve your sweet girl of that pain! Our dog was quite young and did amazingly well with both the amp and the chemo. Sadly, we still lost her to the disease in the end, but we had an amazing and unforgettable 15 months with her post-dx. There can still be lots of very happy times ahead for you and your girl.

So, there are my "good" comments. 🙂

Keep us posted! All the best to you and Maggie,

Jackie, Angel Abby's mom

Abby: Aug 1, 2009 – Jan 10, 2012. Our beautiful rescue pup lived LARGE with osteosarcoma for 15 months – half her way-too-short life. I think our "halflistic" approach (mixing traditional meds + supplements) helped her thrive. (PM me for details. I'm happy to help.) She had lung mets for over a year. They took her from us in the end, but they cannot take her spirit! She will live forever in our hearts. She loved the beach and giving kisses and going to In-N-Out for a Flying Dutchman. Tripawds blog, and a more detailed blog here. Please also check out my novel, What the Dog Ate. Now also in paperback! Purchase it at Amazon via Tripawds and help support Tripawds!

On The Road

20 March 2012 - 12:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hi Silver,

Welcome to the club nobody ever wants to join. We're sorry you found yourself in this place, but we will do all we can to help make your journey easier no matter which way it takes you and Maggie.

I'll start by sharing these links with you, which you may or may not have already seen:

Tripawds Required Reading List

Three Legs & a Spare, a Canine Amputation Handbook

The Dog Cancer Survival Guide

It sounds like you've done a lot of research and have a great support team on your side. These resources will answer almost all of your questions and also share the stories of other Tripawds who have joined this community. And whatever they don't answer, this amazing community is here to help.

My initial reaction when I read your post was that Maggie's still young, and from what I understand, the lower a tumor is in the leg, the better chances for a longer healthy life after amputation. 

Also, keep in mind that while amputation is the fastest way to alleviate the pain she is experiencing from the tumor (and osteosarcoma is horribly painful, even if a dog is hiding that pain well), chemo is optional. While statistics show that it can prolong a good quality of life, there are no guarantees. We know lots of dogs who have outlived those statistics without doing any chemo at all (including myself, for two years!), and sadly, others who succumbed within a couple of months. There are no guarantees either way.

The best thing you can do right now is to take Magggie's entire personality into consideration as well as your finances, then decide which path is best for you. There are no "right" answers, only the ones that are made with your dog's best interest in mind. 

Good luck. We are here to help however you decide.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

20 March 2012 - 12:52 pm

Hi Silver -- Maggie looks super sweet!  Sorry you needed to find the group, but very glad you are here!  Like Tracy said, you will have ups and downs through the process - but in the end, you'll be proud of what you've done to give Maggie the best chance to live a pain free life.  Remeber when you get her home, don't confuse Maggie's reaction to being on pain meds to her being sad and unhappy.  Most of our pups may seem a bit sad/depressed but it really is just all the meds they are on - they bounce back as soon as they start feeling better!  Our Sam was a front leg amp and we also did chemo - the journey was worth every day we had with him - he had a great quality of life and gave back his thanks in love!  You'll see - Maggie will do fantastic!  xoxo Sue 

Edmond, Oklahoma
20 March 2012 - 1:21 pm

Welcome Maggie, I know this is scary stuff, but try to take it one day at a time.  Our Golden lost his front leg to cancer, and we didn't regret the amputation for one second-- he was one happy dog. You will be amazed how well Maggie does.  Two weeks from now, once the pain meds are discontinued, you'll have your girl back. Two months from now, as she runs ahead of you on your walks (front leg amps do much better off leash-- they can go fast and set their own pace) you will be filled with wonder and happiness.  It really is amazing.

Scout: January 31, 2002 to November 7, 2011

Scout's diagnosis was "poorly differentiated sarcoma"; amputation 1/11/2011.  Scout enjoyed 9 fantastic years on 4 legs and 9 glorious months on 3 legs.  If love alone could have saved you…

krun15
20 March 2012 - 1:45 pm

Welcome Maggie and Silver,

Sorry about the diagnosis- but you will find lots of good information and great support here.

Maybe tough recovery is a Maggie thing!  My little pug Maggie lost her left rear leg to a mast cell tumor.  While she recovered physically without any problems, she seemed unhappy and not herself for several weeks.  Reading here you will see many pups turn around after a couple of weeks.  And my vets said the same things yours did- MOST dogs do fine on 3 legs.  When Mag struggled I was really doubting my decision to amputate.  But she came around, and was a happy, hoppy pug for almost 4 years.  Looking  back I realized how in-adaptable she always was, and how stubborn, so the fact that she was not happy with her new situation, and her longer recovery time made sense (isn't hindsight wonderful!).

After her amp we discovered mets in her lymph system and I found another reason to 'regret' putting her though an amputation.  We did chemo hoping for 6 to 9 months.  Maggie beat the odds big time, but even if she hadn't I realized that I was giving her a chance at quality time, and those 6 to 9 months were quality, together time that I would not have had without the surgery.

I have to get back to work.  Good luck with the surgery, and lets plan on a smooth, uneventful recovery!

Keep us posted.

Karen and the pugapalooza

knoxville, tn
20 March 2012 - 2:12 pm

welcome!!  no great knowledge left to lay on you at this point.  remove the leg and remove the pain.  you aren't tied into doing chemo if it isn't working well for you, so just take all of this a day at a time. paws crossed for successful surgery and speedy recovery.

charon & spirit gayle

Life is good, so very, very good!!! Gayle enjoyed each and every moment of each and every wonderful day (naps included).  She left this world December 12, 2011 – off on a new adventure.

Love Never Ends

http://etgayle

20 March 2012 - 4:47 pm

Welcome to Tripawds Silver and Maggie!!! So sorry that you have to go through this but I am happy that there is Tripawds to help you through it!! You will be too!! Maggie is still fairly young so I think she really will bounce back from the surgery well. My Great Dane Valentina had OS in her front left leg and I was hesitant about amputation but reading stories on here helped me to realize that she and I could get through it and we would both be happier doing so. And yes at first you may wonder why you decided to do the amputation when you are going through the initial recovery period but after Maggie is healed you will be so happy that you did. Most Dogs can do most everything that they did before the amputation and maybe even some more things since they aren't in pain anymore. And believe me, that pain from the tumor in her leg is no joke. Valentina's progressed rather quickly. I thought I would manage her pain with meds until it got too bad but it got bad fast and I wished I had done it earlier. It was very scary but with the help of Tripawds we got through it and we had 7 happy months together. Many Dogs have much longer than that too. Every Dog is different though but one thing is for sure , you will not regret having extra time with Maggie and taking the pain away for her. Praying for you as you make your decision and hoping that you find comfort from the support of Tripawds!

Houston, Texas
20 March 2012 - 5:37 pm

I thank each and every one of you for your input and support.  I can't say I feel better but I am beginning to think we are doing right for Maggie.  I know each of you have a special place in your heart for your beloved pets and have a love no one can replace.  I read it in your words.  As for my Maggie,  she knows no mean.  Loves everyone and especially children.  Everyone in our neighborhood knows Maggie and loves to be with her.  I'm a grown man and I can tell you this hurts too much.  We will go through with this amputation thursday and I pray it's the right thing for Mags !!  She is so special.

The little guy with her is Dexter.  He is a rescue and loves her as much as I do.  He will be lost without his Sis.  I worry about him and will give him as much love and attention as we can during this very stressful time.  Thanks again for listening and your comments are so important

Silver

Washington
20 March 2012 - 6:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Silver,

I remember the day when Rio's oncologist told me that she would need to have her leg amputated.  I swear the earth fell away from my feet, and my heart dropped into my stomach.  To say I was devastated would be a gross understatement.  However I knew that it was the best chance we had at slowing her cancer, and so I felt like I had no option but to proceed.  The day Rio came home following her surgery was the day that my biggest fears were put behind me.  To see her already getting adjusted to life on three legs made me realize just how strong and resilient she really was -- and this was an almost-11-year-old dog who had already been battling her cancer for more than 3-1/2 years.  It also made me realize that I could follow her lead, and even though the journey was terrifying and difficult, I never once regretted that I chose to make it.

You ARE doing the right thing for Maggie.  I know it may not feel like it right now, but once she's off the meds and healed up from the surgery and back to being her happy, loving self, you'll look back on today and know that you did the right thing.

Plus, now that you've found us, you don't have to go through this difficult time alone!!!  We'll be here for you.

Rio's momma, Micki

the Woo

~ ~ Rio ~ ~
Forever in my heart...

April 2000 – January 20, 2012
Diagnosed with Mast Cell Cancer in June 2007. Left rear leg amputated Feb. 8, 2011.
Mets discovered Aug. 31, 2011. Read more of Rio's story here.

Rock Hill, SC
20 March 2012 - 6:37 pm

Hi Silver.  Sorry I'm a bit late welcoming you.  I'm really sorry you are having to go through this with your girl.  Cancer is a terrible monster whether it be to humans or animals.  Fortunately the veterinary community has advanced so much in the last few years that we do at least have more options than those on the journey before us.  The amputation will be scary and the recovery exhausting.  At some point during the next two weeks you most likely will have at least one moment where you question if you did the right thing - just know that it is the worry causing you to question yourself and things will be so much better in a couple of weeks.

I specifically wanted to comment on your concerns about Dexter.  We adopted littermates 11.5 years ago and they had never been apart.  Merlin was very much the alpha dog and Zeus always followed his lead and looked to him to see how to react, etc.  We lost Merlin to cancer 2.5 years ago and I was absolutely terrified for Zeus.  Surprisingly, he did quite well and over time he really developed this new individual personality and "came into his own" for lack of a better phrase.  I know your dogs' separation will only be temporary, but I'm sure Dexter will be fine.  They really are very resilient.

I truly wish you the best of luck.  Please let us know if you have any questions!

Lisa

Zeus was a Husky mix diagnosed with Osteosarcoma at age 11.  A visible lung met and suspicious spot on his liver meant a poor prognosis-six weeks was our vet's best guess. We decided to fight for our boy and his right front leg was amputated on 12/1/11. We did six rounds of chemo, changed his diet and spoiled him completely rotten. We were blessed with 10 great months after diagnosis. Against the odds, the lung met remained a single met and grew very little over those months. A wonderful furbaby with the most gentle spirit, he fought with a strength that we never imagined he possessed. We have no regrets...
http://zeuspod......pawds.com/

20 March 2012 - 7:56 pm

Praying for Maggie and her surgery on Thursday. 

New Zealand
20 March 2012 - 8:59 pm

welcome and sorry im so late.

Good luck with the surgery - I hope everything is uneventful for you all. Maggie will be back to herself in next to no time after the operation.

I can sympathise with poor lil Dexter - our old boy Sarge lost his best bud a few months before Kayla had to get her operation. For the 3 days that Kayla was at the vets poor old Sarge just mopped around, wouldn't eat as enthusiastically and was generally really pathetic, we had to spend all our time with him, which was good actually as it stopped us worrying about Kayla. Love Dexter heaps while Maggie is away and i'm sure he will be fine.

21 March 2012 - 8:08 pm

We will pray for you and Maggie so that everyone gets through this difficult time.  Lucy, our 6 year old lab/border collie had her front right leg amp 3 months ago.  Original diagnosis was a nerve sheath tumor but no tumor found during surgery.  We were very happy Lucy did not have cancer and hope the lab find of degenerative nerves was the only issue here.  The decision to move forward with the surgery was scary, Lucy being at the hospital for 3 days was nerve-racking.  Again, just like others commented, once we saw her adjusting and moving forward we knew we made the right decision.  Recovery was rough and she seemed to have a somewhat uneventful recovery.  Sleep as much as possible, attending to their needs takes priority so sleep is important.  Once the meds are done and your girl gets back to herself you'll really know how good of a decision you've made.  I don't have experience with chemo but there are so many wonderful people on Tripawds you will always get the help you need.  Take care and let us know how you're all doing.

Mary, Lucy's mom

Lucy's front right leg was amputated 12/19/11. Thankfully there was no tumor, but her nerves were found to be degenerative.  Life as a tripawd is Lucy's new adventure!!

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: tazziedog
Guest(s) 121
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1273
Members: 17913
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: