TRIPAWDS: Home to 23165 Members and 2162 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Need Your Input - Amputation Scheduled for 3/22
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Houston, Texas
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
21 March 2012 - 9:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Thank you "Lucy's Mom".  We have been together tonight grooming, loving and just being together.  All four of us and Dexter is right in the middle.  Maggie has fur fluffs in between her toes.  Very girl like !!.  We clipped them off her right paw and painted her toe nails so there will be no mistake tomorrow. 

Thanks to all for your support and prayers.  We drop off Mags at 8:00 am for her amputation.  I pray for Maggie and her successful surgery and our surgeon for his skills and talet.  I hope to keep all of you posted with her status and eventual progress. 

Thanks again,   Silver

St. Louis, MO
22 March 2012 - 7:11 am

Hi Silver,

Welcome to you and Maggie.  My Charley was 2.5 years old when he was diagnosed with OS in his left proximal humerus and we chose amputation and 5 rounds of Carboplatin chemotherapy.  Charley can do everything on 3 legs that he did on 4 -- he counter-surfs, jumps and runs like the wind! 

There is a link in my signature to a video of Charley playing in the snow at 12 weeks post amputation.  It is amazing to watch!  Charley will celebrate his 17-Month Ampuversary on 3-28-12 and his 4th Birthday on 3-29-12 and we plan on having a big pawty!

The first 2 weeks after the amp are a bit rough, mostly because you will be low on sleep, emotionally drained and in our case Charley did not tolerate the tramadol well (once we figured that out on day 5 or 6, it was better).  Charley got his staples removed on day 13 and he was 95% better immediately (he had his first chemo immediately after).  Charley tolerated chemo well, he didn't skip a beat and his labby appetite was not affected.

Even though there is no cure for osteosarcoma, there is no need to just give up hope either.  There are pups that live 2, 3, 4+ and even 7 years after diagnosis.  Unfortunately there are no guarantees with whatever course of treatment you decide.  Vets can’t make accurate predictions on how long a dog will survive.  They can only give you a prognosis based on statistics, which are only averages.   No one knows exactly how long any of us will survive and I can guarantee that there is no expiration date stamped on the bottom of any paw either.

One thing I have learned from this unwanted OS journey is that our dogs live in the moment.  Charley is still the same happy labby boy we knew before, only minus a leg.  To be honest, there are days when my hubby and I forget he only has 3 legs.  Charley reminds us everyday that he is living with cancer, not dying from cancer. As Eleanor Roosevelt said, "Today is a gift.  That is why we call it the present."  

Hugs and chocolate labby kisses,

Ellen & Charley

Charley's Blog:  CHOCOLATE KISSES

DOB: 3-29-08, male chocolate lab  
Dx: OSA L proximal humerus 10-19-10

Amputation: L front leg & scapula 10-28-10

Chemo: 5 rounds of Carboplatin

Video (12 weeks post amp):Tripaw Charley Playing

♥♥♥ Lots of supplements and love!!! ♥♥♥

Washington
22 March 2012 - 9:10 am

Hi Silver,

I just wanted you to know that we will be thinking of you and Maggie today, and sending you lots of good wishes, strength and courage to get through this difficult time. 

Soon your girl will be home with you and Dexter, and she'll be looking to you for assurance and confidence -- this is the time to put on your best game face and show her that you truly believe in her her ability to overcome this hurdle.  She will draw strength from your optimism, so even if you're not really feeling it, at least try to shine it on...

We will be waiting to hear how well she did today...

Rio's momma, Micki

the Woo

~ ~ Rio ~ ~
Forever in my heart...

April 2000 – January 20, 2012
Diagnosed with Mast Cell Cancer in June 2007. Left rear leg amputated Feb. 8, 2011.
Mets discovered Aug. 31, 2011. Read more of Rio's story here.

Leicester, NY
25 March 2012 - 6:03 pm

Hello Silver and Maggie,

Just wanted to say that we are thinking of you and wishing you the best. This site was invaluable to me the 1st few weeks post amp, please let us know how surgery went.

Spirit Samson was Spirit Tripawd Daisys four legged "brother" and ruled as the self proclaimed head of the Monkeybutt Federations East Coast Division. Lady Chunky Monkey stayed from Oct 2011 and left for the bridge in Apr 2012. Miss Perdy is left and has some big pawprints to fill.
Do you have what it takes to be a Monkeybutt? Find out more at the Monkeybutt Federation

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: benny55, Selina
Guest(s) 183
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1273
Members: 17915
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: