TRIPAWDS: Home to 23183 Members and 2162 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Sammy 4/30/02 - 2/11/12
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Mount Pleasant, Ia
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
11 February 2012 - 9:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Elizabeth, we grieve here at Coops pack for your loss of Sammy. You and Sammy were among the very first we met when Cooper started his journey, and we all here in this family feel we have become good good friends through our journeys. Sammy was a true warrior, and he is and should be honored. We are here for you, for strength and support. I am so glad Coop and Sammy have met face to face and can run together! Godspeed Sammyrun fast! Run Long!

Coopsdad

Coopsdad/ Kenneth Blackburn

http://cooper.t.....ipawds.com

the monkeydogs only THINK they have invaded the tripawd state

In your heart, where I belong.
11 February 2012 - 9:57 pm

I also looked here every day this past week to see how Sammy was doing. When you said that he would likely get his wings today, I woke up this morning and came here not knowing what to expect. I was not surprised, but I was sad. I wish I had been able to meet Sammy. I have always felt drawn to him because of the similarities between how you found him and how we found Dakota.

I hope you know how many people here loved Sammy and care about you and your husband, Elizabeth. I hope you will let us support you just as you've supported so many others. It's your turn now. 

When I think of Sammy, I will always think of his big smile and his giant, loving heart.

Shari

From abandoned puppy to Tripawd Warrior Dude, Dakota became one of the 2011 February Furballs due to STS. Our incredibly sweet friend lived with grace and dignity till he impulsively raced over the Bridge on 12-15-12.

Dakota's thoughtful and erudite blog is at http://shari.tr.....pawds.com/

krun15
11 February 2012 - 10:36 pm

Elizabeth,
I'm sorry you had to say good bye to Sammy today. I hope the good memories of your smiling boy, with those beautiful gray eyebrows, bring you some peace in the coming days.

Karen and Spirit Maggie

Las Vegas, Nevada
12 February 2012 - 12:08 am

Elizabeth,

I'm so sorry.  I know how difficult it is and how lonely your heart is.  Sammy was a great inspiration to so many of us.  And he made us smile too.  I am positive his smile is back and he is having a wonderful new adventure.

Our hearts ache today for Sammy.

I'll alway remember him being a happy boy!

Her Retired AvatarComet - 1999 to 2011

She departed us unexpectedly  January 23, 2011 at the age of 12 1/2.

She was born with a deformed front leg and a tripawd all of her life.

shelbysmom
12 February 2012 - 5:10 am

Elizabeth, like so many others I came here multiple times daily, wondering how that gorgeous boy of your's was.  As again as many others have voiced, it doesn't matter how *prepared* you are......it still knocks you off your feet.  In time, there will be smiles when you think of him but for now, lean of us and know that your beautiful boy runs whole and free, just waiting for you.

Sammy, you fought a hell of a fight....and you didn't lose.  You won.  You crossed over with love and dignity.  Run fast, play hard....see you on the Other Side, my friend......xoxoxoxo

Edmond, Oklahoma
12 February 2012 - 6:45 am

Elizabeth, I wanted to add my condolences on the loss of your beautiful Sammy.  Your story, Sammy's story, really touched me, as it did so many others.  He had the most gorgeous smile, and I know he'll forever be smiling down on you.  You loved him with every cell in your body; he could not have been more loved.  We'll all remember Sammy, and when you are remembered with such love, you will live on forever.  Run free Sammy, your wings are perfect.

Scout: January 31, 2002 to November 7, 2011

Scout's diagnosis was "poorly differentiated sarcoma"; amputation 1/11/2011.  Scout enjoyed 9 fantastic years on 4 legs and 9 glorious months on 3 legs.  If love alone could have saved you…

12 February 2012 - 6:47 am

so sorry to hear about sammy run free boy hugs from us

Dizzy diagnosed with osteosarcoma 24 may 2011 amputated same day doing fine hopping around on three legs giving the neighbourhood cats what for

New Jersey
12 February 2012 - 7:17 am

Elizabeth,

We're so sorry to hear of your dear, sweet smiling Sammy's passing. You've been in our thoughts all week with hopes that your last days together were peaceful and loving.

It sounds like they were and this must give you great comfort.

Sending warm thoughts your way...

Rebecca

Columbia, MO
12 February 2012 - 8:06 am

I'm so sorry that this part of Sammy's journey has come to an end.  He was a true Tripawd Warrior and inspiration.  Now he is running pain free on four legs with all his tripawd friends.

Marla and Daisy

My Two Tripawds...Biscuit and Spirit Daisy

Greater Western Washington area
12 February 2012 - 8:15 am

Thank you all, for everything, for the video Ge'Lena, for you support.  Sammy had a great rally after the first day after his visit with Pam, and we spent a week filled with love.  There wasn't a moment that went by that I didn't take the time to touch him, give him whatever he wanted, to lie by him and kiss his sweet face. 

Yesterday was the incredibly hard, because it was the first time he couldn't stand up to potty on his own.  He wanted to go so badly, but he couldn't, we had to hold him up but he was embarrassed.  It was about 1/2 before the vet came, so her timing was perfect.  I think we all realized at that moment (including Sammy) that we had been overtaken from the cancer.  He looked at me with such love, he wanted to go on but we all knew that we couldn't.

He wagged his tail and greeted the vet so nicely, all growls, thumping tail, and happy noises.  My husband had him over his lap as I kneeled in front of him and held his head, his eyes on mine and watched him leave me.  We told him how precious he is, how we love him so.  It was peaceful and he was surrounded by love. 

This morning my world is grey, no good morning noises, an empty bed.  I miss him so.  He will always be a wonderful decade of my life, he gave me joy continuously.  I miss his face, I miss everything.

Elizabeth, Sammy's mom

Diagnosed with osteosarcoma in the right front leg 8/23/10,

leg fractured 8/27/10,

leg amputated 8/30/10

http://sammyand.....pawds.com/

I couldn't begin to say how special Sammy is to us.  Living and laughing with and loving this wonderful boy is priceless.

12 February 2012 - 8:36 am

It's easy to say 'think of Sammy with no pain', 'you did a great thing by letting him go', but this morning.. for this day... the gray day and gray feeling ... the tears .... the pain of loss will engulf you.  I'm crying writing this, because I've had to say goodbye to some  furloves who have blessed my life and the pain returns in empathy with you loss.  Give yourself this day to cry, meditate, scream, laugh at memories of silliness, whatever you need - it's a letting go - the beginning of your healing. 

Thinking of you.

Judy and Baby

Scottsburg, IN
12 February 2012 - 8:51 am

Elizabeth, I'm so sorry this day has come. We're all here for you.

Leslie

12 February 2012 - 9:27 am

I also have lost too many furkids to cancer.  It's devastating and I know I will have to make "the decision" about my boy too soon.  I am so grateful to have found this website and others who understand the human(woman)/dog connection.  Take care of yourself, I feel your pain.

My heart lives at Rainbow Bridge
12 February 2012 - 9:39 am

Goodbye Sammy. You are so loved, and will be missed by folks who never even met you. What a legacy for such a special boy. You will forever live in hearts across the country.

Hugs to you Elizabeth. You will find the strength to make it through this most difficult time. We all do, somehow.

RIP sweet Sammy. Run free at Rainbow Bridge.

Shanna & Spirit Trouble ~ Trouble gained her wings 3/16/2011, a 27 1/2 month cancer survivor, tail wagging. RIP sweetheart, you are my heart and soul.  Run free at Rainbow Bridge.
The November Five - Spirits Max, Cherry, Tika, Trouble & Nova. 11/2008 - 3/2013 An era ends as Queen Nova crossed the Bridge.

Arizona
12 February 2012 - 11:42 am

Elizabeth, I am so so sorry to read that the journey for Sammy has come to an end.

I was always so afraid of that day the journey would end for Tasha, it is so very hard and gut wrenching but very slowly as the days turn into months the tears slow, the hole in your heart becomes filled with the wonderful memories and times and life just goes on.

Run free Sammy with all our Tripawd warriors that have gone before you.

Rip Sammy.....

Jo Ann and Angel Tasha

Tasha 8 years old, First cancer diagnosis 6/26/09, Last cancer diagnosis 9/26/09, Amputation 10/01/09, Loving our girl moment by moment.

Tasha lost her battle and became my Angel on May 4 2011. Forever in my heart….

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: Nika
Guest(s) 173
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1273
Members: 17923
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: