TRIPAWDS: Home to 23108 Members and 2159 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Shadow Amputation 28/2/13
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
On The Road

sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5 March 2013 - 10:11 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi Gail,

I'm so glad to hear that the incision site is looking well! How's his appetite today? His alertness level?

Out of curiosity, what country are you in? I'm guessing that you're probably not in North America? If so, that would explain why your vet didn't prescribe as much post-op pain meds as we're used to here in the states. Here it seems that pain medication is more prescribed than it is in other countries. An increasing awareness is growing everywhere about the importance of it but it's not happening overnight unfortunately. I hope your boy is feeling good today, do keep us posted oK?

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

5 March 2013 - 11:34 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hi 

I am in United Kingdom, and as Shadow is a cocker I am a member of cockers online where one member had to have amputation and her dog came home with no pain med at all so you probably right.

Shadow does not seem to be in pain, he is just very quiet, very sleepy but he settles well and does get around ok when he needs to get up and about, its just that he is no where near as lively as he was the first two days after discharge, today is day five he has eaten bit of chicken but his appetite is not there, he also has not done poops yesterday nor today although he did do on his first three days home.  I not sure if his quietness is to be expected its just because it came on day four and five that its bothered me.

I feel so sad when i see his little face :(

Gail

Atlanta, GA
5 March 2013 - 12:40 pm

Hang in there Gail.  Shadow sounds like he's doing pretty good.  It takes them a little while to get all the medicine out of their system from the surgery and then there's all the healing that is taking place, which is going to slow him down.  But it does get better.  You are on day 5.  My tripawd wouldn't come upstairs to go to bed until day 4, and then it still took her a few more days to start getting the hang of everything.  One bit of advice I have is to have a visitor or two.  I noticed that Brendol really hunkered down to heal when it was just us, but when friends stopped by, she perked up tremendously.  On day 3, I was getting frustrated that she wouldn't attempt to go down the patio stairs to go potty (3 steps), but a friend came over and she did it for her.  I admittedly felt a little betrayed, but had to realize that I'm just mom.  Good to cuddle with and wanted around for care, but I'm not as "fun" as visitors are.  So you may see a spark of Shadow's personality come to life if a visitor comes over.

Don't worry, you're doing good.  Shadow will get back to his old self.

Karma and Brendol

Adelaide is a young tripawd Husky, from an injury.  Her amp was on 10/1/12.  She has 4 sisters, Aissa (a senior border collie/chow), Maggie May (a puppy Great Pyrenees), Mathilde and Morrigan and 1 baby brother, Bagheera.  We are all watched over by our angel Brendol, who was dx with OSA 1/30/13, amp on 2/6/13, and left us on 8/20/13.

PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers

You can read their stories at http://adelaide.tripawds.com and http://brendol.tripawds.com
Fort Wayne, IN
5 March 2013 - 1:25 pm

Hi Gail.  When we started our journey with Libby, many members assured me not to be concerned if Libby was all hyped up the first couple of days and then "crashed".  It's normal.  

I agree with Karma, visitors help. We got big tail wags out of Libby when some of her favorite people came to visit.  I also bought her  a favorite toy...a squeaky ball.  Boy, that really perked her up.  It may be a little too soon for playtime with your pup, but it's something to keep in mind in the coming days.  

Liberty (Libby) was diagnosed with OSA on 1-22-13.  Right front amputation on 1-31-13. No IV Chemo. Metronomic Therapy started 2-19-13 along with supplements and some home cooking. Lungs clear until 1-06-14.  She's still her happy, hoppy, bossy self.  Living the dog life to the fullest and a proud Winter Warrior. :) RIP my Libby 4-21-03 to 3-19-14

On The Road

5 March 2013 - 10:42 pm

Yeah, it's definitely to be expected, many dogs do crash after coming home and doing fine for a few days. My theory is that the pain meds from surgery are still in their system when they come home so the patient is really high as a kite. Then when the pain meds finally wear out a few days later, crash!

He'll get his sparkle back soon, just wait. Constipation is normal too. However if anything seems too odd to you, behaviorwise or other, don't hesitate to call your vet and let them know what's going on. Better to have peace of mind than to take chances.

And yeah, it's not uncommon for dogs in places like the UK to come home without pain meds. That really stinks but there's evidence that things are changing and vets are coming around to the concept of pain management after surgery. 

Be strong, you can do it. Things will get better!

6 March 2013 - 4:41 am

Thank you everyone

I was worried that shadow not done number twos so this morning i asked him did he want to go for a walk i saw a little sparkle and he did a bark for the first time, i took him about 150 yards he did his business and we came back again very small distance but he was happy sniffing and pee pee on everything we came back was only out five minutes or less and he is sleeping now, he managed fine with walking albeit we did not go far. His wound is fabulous so looking forward to vet trip on Fri for results and check up :)

My heart lives at Rainbow Bridge
6 March 2013 - 6:04 am

Your last update sounds like Shadow is making a comeback.  The recuperation from surgery is not a fun period, but thankfully it is pretty short.  Most of them are on the rebound withing 2 weeks.

Hang in there, it will get better and better.

Shanna & Spirit Trouble ~ Trouble gained her wings 3/16/2011, a 27 1/2 month cancer survivor, tail wagging. RIP sweetheart, you are my heart and soul.  Run free at Rainbow Bridge.
The November Five - Spirits Max, Cherry, Tika, Trouble & Nova. 11/2008 - 3/2013 An era ends as Queen Nova crossed the Bridge.

6 March 2013 - 12:25 pm

Vet phoned me today they have results from tumour it is or was Sarcoma, she advised we did the right thing amputation and seems to think that Shadow should be fine, I know nothing of this type of cancer so am going to read up now, i will then be able to discuss further at his check up on Friday

So Glad I changed vets practice or shadows chances would of been greatly reduced.  

On The Road

6 March 2013 - 1:51 pm

gailyk81 said
it is or was Sarcoma...  

Do you know what kind of Sarcoma? Osteosarcome (Bone cancer)? Chondrosarcoma or Fibrosarcoma (soft tissue tumors)? If considering chemotherapy it's important to know since cancers react differently to drugs depending on the type.

6 March 2013 - 2:51 pm

I don't know highest grade sarcoma she said I going appointment on Friday so I am getting all questions ready this is so overwhelming for me to take in shadow had lump two years ago in same area vet said biopsy inconclusive when this large lump appeared in dec the vet was less than useful kept saying dont know what it is left us from 14 dec to 31 jan when I was not happy with their service I moved vets and all this happened in new vets I hope this has not been festering for two years I diagnosed, I am so upset will have to wait till fri will get as much info as possible

15 March 2013 - 6:11 am

Tumour was highest grade soft tissue Sarcoma and the vets hopes the full amputation will have done the trick.

We are two weeks on from amputation and shadow wound etc is really good he is still very subdued sleeps most of the time he will greet visitors etc and i have took him on short walk but he not himself, he will not instigate any activities etc feeding and walking all have to be prompted and he show no interest in food as before and will only eat chicken but as I say he would not ask for food. Any experiences to share of this please would be appreciated

Gail

On The Road

15 March 2013 - 9:20 am

Hi Gail, I'm glad you got some answers about the type of cancer you're dealing with. What has your vet recommended, if anything, for next steps?

As for not having his sparkle yet...two weeks still isn't a long time, especially for larger dogs. Many will need three or even four weeks to feel good again. It's a big surgery Shadow's dealing with and he sounds like overall he's doing great but just needs to find his groove again.

What I would recommend is watching some of these California Animal Rehab videos. In the Post Amp Care one, they talk about how it's sooo important to stay strong and not to baby our dogs after surgery, I think it will help both of you get through this. It's hard not to want to do everything for our pups, but sometimes a little tough love is the best thing to help get strong. Hang in there!

Virginia

16 March 2013 - 1:05 pm

Hi Gail and Shadow, Just got to your post and I can attest thar some dogs DO take longer to recover than others!  My Happy Hannah is a little over three weeks from amp and is finally having a good might's sleep and is regaining that marvelous sparkle that we all love to see.  It was up and down--two steps forward - one (or maybe two sometimes) backwards  until this week.  Gosh, it's so hard to believe Shadow is trying to recover without pain meds butI understand from reading other posts that's how it's done there.  I think I took Hannah off her pain meds too soon and havng her back on some ow seems to bethe right balancd

Yes, she still tires very easily and I let her monitor her own limitations -- some days she wants to walk more than others.    Just like everyone tried to tell me in between my panic modes----major surgery takes time from which to heal--and add an amputated leg o  top of that --WOW!Shadoow is in good hands

How's Shadow's water intake?  I had to add a little ice cream to hers for a long time to get her to drink.  Have you been able to take her temperture?  There are sll sorts of tecniqurs here on hoe to get Shadow to eat.  Warmed chicken seems t be working for you--maybe you can start adding some of regular food.  If Shadow still has pain I'm sure eting is mot igh on the list.

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

Virginia

16 March 2013 - 1:10 pm

I'm so sorry, I have a crashing tablet and zero computer skills and this thing just starts going haywire........Just wanted to say how brave and strong you are for taking such good care of Shadow and a good recovery is coming and that's apromise.     We are all hear for you anytime to support you with love and healing energy. Sally and Happy Hannah

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

17 March 2013 - 9:21 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Ah thanks Sally, glad to hear Hannah is doing good

Shadow is actually doing really well he has slept right through every night and he has been drinking fine.

He is asking for his treats each night now and this morning wanted to play so really good progress, he is sleeping again now which I have now come to understand is the best thing for him i expect (its just that as he is a cocker spaniel he never usually sleeps unless we are not here and that was the biggest thing for me to get used to) although its not about me at all its about shadow.

His temperature has been taken each week at our revisits to the vet and it is fine which is really good as before the tumour was removed it was infected and he had really high temperature, she also drained some excess fluid from around the amputation site and this has also helped shadow he really is good, vet seem to think she will sign him off this wednesday so really good news all round.  I hope Hannah is recovering well too

Thank you

Gail

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 223
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17860
Moderators: 6