TRIPAWDS: Home to 23115 Members and 2160 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Shadow Amputation 28/2/13
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4 March 2013 - 7:14 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi All first post just wanting advice and reassurance, Shadow my 5 year old cocker spaniel had a rear leg amputation on thursday, came home from vets on friday eating and drinking going toilet etc, reading some of the posts on here I think he is doing really well but like many others he is very subdued (although I know this is to be expected) today he seems to not want to eat he has turned his nose up at scrambled egg, although he still ate the chicken with his antibiotic hidden inside, does meloxidyl make them sleepy or is it just the effects of the operation etc, how long till he starts showing his usual self, i worried he will never get back to the lovely bouncy cocker and we have not made the right decision

Gail

krun15
4 March 2013 - 9:06 am

Hi Gail, Welcome to Tripawds.  Your future posts will not require moderation.

It looks like melocidyl is a NSAID or anti-inflammatory drug (meloxicam), does Shadow have a pain medication prescribed? It is not unusual for a dog to come home from the vet with some of the surgery meds still in their system and feeling pretty good.  Then when the meds clear they crash a little.  Most pups have at least one pain med - Maggie came home with a fentanyl patch and tramadol.  She was on pain meds for most of two weeks.

Why did Shadow have his amp? Are you dealing with cancer? What kind?

It takes most pups at least two weeks to get back to themselves- dealing with learning new balance, meds, and a very major surgery.  You might look through Jerry's Required Reading List, or down load the ebook Three Legs and a Spare.  Both have good information from this site on what to expect with amputation and recovery.

Don't second guess your decision at this point, it is very early in Shadow's recovery.  That being said I was sure I had made a huge mistake choosing amputation for my little pug.  She really took her time getting used to her new normal, longer than most here, but she got there on her own time line.  Each dog heals and deals in their own way, but many have seen a turn around when the staples or sutures come out at around 2 weeks.

Karen

On The Road

4 March 2013 - 10:22 am

Yes, welcome! Karen always offers great advice.

The first couple weeks will be a roller coaster ride, try you best to enjoy it. Most people see vast improvements in their pups once off the meds. Is Shadow on any pain medication other than an NSAID

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

4 March 2013 - 11:04 am

I know how you feel! Polly has her amp done in the middle of January and pretty much every single day for the first 2 weeks I second guessed my decision to amputate. Polly had up days and down days and the down days really made me upset and scared. I did find that after her staples came out and a few more days of sulking on her part the old Polly came back, and at full force! She runs, she whines for treats, she plays, and pushes the others out of her way. I do find that being a tripawd she sleeps more than before- but she is on metronomics and i'm sure that plays a bit of a part in it.

Dont get discouraged- you did the right thing. Its hard getting through it and honestly every once in a while when i see polly I think- We cut your leg off!!! How can you still love me?! Its because she was in pain, and you were able to remove that pain and give her a longer life!

NC
4 March 2013 - 11:07 am

Like the others, I'm curious as to what pain meds Shadow has been prescribed.  Meloxidyl is a good anti-inflammatory but for major surgery Shadow should have something a lot stronger to get through the post-op pain.  I'd DEFINITELY ask the vet about this.

4 March 2013 - 11:32 am

Thank you everyone,

The only pain relief is the Meloxidyl, when i googled it seems this is used for pain after surgery but he has been on it since January (well he was on Metacam which i think is the same) he also has two antibiotics which again he was on prior to amputations.

He had big lump which was biopsy came back inconclusive but it grew and had got infected and was bleeding, it was causing limping and discomfort and because of the size was not able to be removed, we do not know yet the extent of the type of tumour (vet almost certain it a bone tumour) we are awaiting the results of biopsy on the whole lump and should have them by the end of this week.  He has got no staples or sutures which are needing to be removed the stitching is all inside which will disolve the actual wound is fantastic little bit of bruising and swelling on his undercarriage but this has reduced in its fierceness too.

He has since my last post eaten chicken and rice but still very quiet. 

Gail

NC
4 March 2013 - 12:00 pm

I could be completely wrong here but I find it nearly incomprehensible that a vet would do an amputation without SOME kind of narcotic painkiller, at least for a little while.

Anyone else here find this odd?

4 March 2013 - 12:56 pm

I could be completely wrong here but I find it nearly incomprehensible that a vet would do an amputation without SOME kind of narcotic painkiller, at least for a little while. Anyone else here find this odd?

he was overnight in vet and had injections for pain both days think it was called vetergesic

On The Road

4 March 2013 - 12:58 pm

Periodically we do hear from folks whose pets come home on only an NSAID, but they usually report problems with pain management . The vast majority of dogs here are prescribed Tramadol, Gabapentin, and/or a Fentanyl patch. Please express any concerns about your dog being in pain to your vet or find another one willing to listen.

pain management is a major issue among vets, with some who actually still believe dogs don't feel pain (like many vets used to be taught) to others who over prescribe. Finding the right balance of medication for any dog's situation is sometimes difficult, but nonetheless very important. Good luck! Please keep us posted.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

NC
4 March 2013 - 1:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

gailyk81 said

I could be completely wrong here but I find it nearly incomprehensible that a vet would do an amputation without SOME kind of narcotic painkiller, at least for a little while. Anyone else here find this odd?

he was overnight in vet and had injections for pain both days think it was called vetergesic

That's good that they gave him something but IMHO it's not enough. You know your dog best but sounds to me like he doesn't feel like moving because... Well, because he had his leg amputated & is taking an NSAID for it. As the admin said, pain management can be tricky & we're not vets, but this makes ME upset & it's not even my dog. Please at least ask a vet about it.

New Haven, CT
4 March 2013 - 5:05 pm

Yikes!  Keep us posted!  I'm also confused about the incision - stitches only on the inside?  There must be something showing on the outside....more stitches?  No staples?

Jackson was on tramadol for 1.5weeks post-amp and rimadyl.

~ Katy

ACL tear in right hind leg 12/5/12 and scheduled ACL repair surgery 12/21/12. Pre-op xrays revealed osteosarcoma. Amputation 12/28/12.  Chemo (carboplatin) started Jan 10, 2013 and ended on April 5, for a total of 5 doses. He handled carbo like a champ!  No side effects.  We started metronomic therapy at his third chemo and have been also doing some holistic treatments.  He's a lively, playful 10 year old huskie-boarder collie and a very proud member of the Winter Warriors!  Our love. Our funny little guy!

NC
4 March 2013 - 5:59 pm

Kermit only has subcutaneous sutures too- from the outside it looks like it's just glued together... nothing to remove & makes a nice, neat linear scar! smiley

My heart lives at Rainbow Bridge
4 March 2013 - 6:03 pm

dharma said
Kermit only has subcutaneous sutures too- from the outside it looks like it's just glued together... nothing to remove & makes a nice, neat linear scar! smiley

Count yourself lucky.  We had only this type suture as well, but it is not the norm.  Trouble's incision looked like it had been done by a plastic surgeon.

Shanna & Spirit Trouble ~ Trouble gained her wings 3/16/2011, a 27 1/2 month cancer survivor, tail wagging. RIP sweetheart, you are my heart and soul.  Run free at Rainbow Bridge.
The November Five - Spirits Max, Cherry, Tika, Trouble & Nova. 11/2008 - 3/2013 An era ends as Queen Nova crossed the Bridge.

New Haven, CT
4 March 2013 - 6:30 pm

Fascinating!  I never would have thought.  Cool!

ACL tear in right hind leg 12/5/12 and scheduled ACL repair surgery 12/21/12. Pre-op xrays revealed osteosarcoma. Amputation 12/28/12.  Chemo (carboplatin) started Jan 10, 2013 and ended on April 5, for a total of 5 doses. He handled carbo like a champ!  No side effects.  We started metronomic therapy at his third chemo and have been also doing some holistic treatments.  He's a lively, playful 10 year old huskie-boarder collie and a very proud member of the Winter Warriors!  Our love. Our funny little guy!

5 March 2013 - 7:02 am

His wound looks fabulous, i was expecting horrendous scaring etc but it is fantastic, no leaking of any kind it was bruised under his carriage which is now very much receded so all in all the actual wound etc is great, its just that shadow seems to have just realised whats happened and he is very quiet last few days but i suppose it early days yet re visit to vet on friday for check up and biopsy results

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: Robin, Susan, Emily_7, baileylab
Guest(s) 320
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17867
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: