TRIPAWDS: Home to 23092 Members and 2158 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Maddox 9yr old English Matiff, tripawd since 12/4/2015
sp_NewTopic Add Topic

sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
7 December 2015 - 8:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Our English mastiff just turned 9 on Halloween 2015. He had bone cancer in his front left leg so we had made the descision to amputate. He is resting a lot, he gets around with some assistance but doesn't like the harness. This is his 3rd day without pooping. His surgery was on Friday 12/4/15 but we had to take him home the same night. He's been restless at night panting and crying, but he does have his appetite. A lot of swelling, we were in contact with the vet and were told it is normal and continue with cold compresses, still worried!

Livermore, CA

7 December 2015 - 9:12 pm

Hi again, thanks for starting your own topic.

My little pug Maggie didn't poop until day 6 or 7, the pain meds can cause constipation.  Sometimes some pumpkin (plain, not pie mix) can get things moving.

Having an appetite is great!  Many pups don't eat much at first.  On this tough journey you have to celebrate each good thing!

What meds is your boy on?  What harness are you using?

Karen

Tri-pug Maggie survived a 4.5 year mast cell cancer battle only to be lost to oral melanoma.

1999 to 2010

Maggie's Story                  Amputation and Chemo

Los Angeles, CA
7 December 2015 - 9:16 pm

Is he (I hope) on some pain meds? Because that can and does make them anxious. Panting and pacing is a sign of restlessness due to the meds but could also be pain. It is VERY soon after his surgery so this sounds normal to me but I am not a vet. I am just someone who did experience this kind of restless behavior when my girl came home post-amp. 

Also the meds can constipate them so that might be why he hasn't pooped. If you are worried, you can speed the process with some pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling). That sometimes helps. 

I assume your dog's name is Maddox so welcome! Swelling is normal and icing can help. It's good that he is eating! Very goood sign! 

I know others will weigh in but I wanted to offer you some support. Also feel free to call our hotline. We have lots of people that are ready to lend a helping ear .... we aren't vets but we have a lot of collective wisdom! Hang in there!

Alison with Spirit Shelby in her heart  

Shelby Lynne; Jack Russell/Shiba Inu mix. Proud member of the April Angels of 2014.

October 15, 2000 to April 8, 2014

Our story: Broke rear leg in June 2013 - non-conclusive results for cancer so leg was plated and pinned. Enlarged spleen in September 2013 and had it removed and was diagnosed with Hemangiosarcoma and started chemotherapy. Became a Tripawd January 8th, 2014 and definitive Hemangiosarcoma diagnosis. Three major surgeries in 7 months and Shelby took them all like a champ only to lose her battle to cancer in her brain. We had 8 amazing extra months together and no regrets. #shelbystrong #loveofmylife

Virginia

7 December 2015 - 9:21 pm

ENGLISH MASTIFF!!! I'M IN LOVE WITH YOUR BOY ALREADY!! Big ole' snuggle bug! And your boy is a "seasoned" nine years and heading towards ten! Good job!

Sorry you jave to be here. Under the circumstances there is no better place to be for support and first hand experience!

What's your pup's name?

Okay, as far as pooping (or not), it's not unusual for dogs not to poop for several days due to the pain meds. You can try a couple of tablespoons of canned organic pure pumpkin. That seems ro help. But this is o e thing you can take off yiur "worry list" for now. Do let us know though when he does. We celebrate everything around here!

.ost dogs spend st least one night st the hospital, but not all. So I can only imagine how stressful and exhausting these last few days have been. Not to mention the stress leading up to the sjrgeey.

The fact that he is getting up and moving a few steps, even if it is with a harness, is really, really good for a dog this large, this "mature", with a front leg amp, to be somewhat mobile sooo early into recovery! And he is eating, drinking and peeing...all good!

It sounds like he is showing symptoms of pain...panting, restless, crying. .ost dogs come home with Tramadol, Gabapentin, Rimadyl and an a antibiotic. It's very important to try and keep the pain managed and give the pain meds consistently so it doesn't get ahead start. You may want to check with the vet and see if you can give to doses closer together or increase the dosage.

My Happy Hannan (a Bull Mastiff), was restless, panting, crying and would not sleep for the first several days. I thought I had made a horrible decision by doing this TO my dog! It took almost three weeks before I could say I was doing this FOR my dog!

Swelling and bruising are fairly normal. You want to make sure there isn't any fluid leaking out that's bloody or stinky. He may experience swelling that turns into a xeroma. That's the accumulation of fluid that used ro go to the limb and now must forms a squishy "pocket" until it's absorbed back into his system.

For your own reassurance, take a picture of the swelling and send it to the vet. As you probably already know, the cold compress should not be more than seven to ten minutes max at a time and with a towel between the skin and the ice pack. Of course, I'm no vet so ask your vet.

For now, your dog needs complete rest and short potty breaks. Many dogs must don't do well with harnesses, but they are often necessary in the beginning. He probably doesn't want to poop with it on and with you having to be right next to him.

STAY CONNECTED TO US!! YOU ARE. NOT ALONE, OKAY? This is not an easy time and it does tak awhile to recover from MAJOR surgery, as well as adjusting to three legs! It sounds like your boy is having a " ormal" recovery reaction for three days out.

Hang o ! It does get better...slowly...ever so slowly! Update when you can...TRY and get some rest...AND...we would LPVE to see pictures of this big chunk of love, drool and all!

Sending lots of love and hugs!

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

On The Road

8 December 2015 - 11:23 am

Hi Corrina, you have come to the right place as you can see! I hope things are going better and Maddox is doing well. A week from now you will wonder why you were so worried. Have you seen Jerry's Required Reading List or the Tripawds e-books library yet? Check 'em out, you'll find lots of your worries go away when you read up on what you can expect. And of course this awesome community will be here for you both too.

We've had so many Mastiffs here and they are such strong doggies! Check out Louie's story:

http://sreusche.....day-louie/

And lots more big dog stories here.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Virginia

26 January 2016 - 9:33 pm

Any updates?

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 206
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17847
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: