TRIPAWDS: Home to 23127 Members and 2161 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
TANG, Day 104 with Mast Cell Tumor on Left Hind Leg. April 26th = Amputation Day 1
sp_NewTopic Add Topic

sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
30 April 2016 - 2:54 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Howie,

I am glad to hear Tang is doing pretty well for 5 days out.  🙂   It is an adjustment and remember they aren't used to using those muscles before so he may get a little sore as he moves more & more.  Rest is always good 🙂

hugs

Michelle & Angel Sassy

sassymichelle-sm.jpg

Sassy is a proud member of the Winter Warriors. Live long, & strong Winter Warriors.
sassysugarbear.tripawds.com
07/26/2006 - Sassy earned her wings 08/20/2013

05/04/2006 -  Bosch, Sassy's pal, earned his wings 03/29/19  fought cancer for 4 months.

"You aren't doing it TO her, you are doing it FOR her. Give her a chance at life."

Livermore, CA

30 April 2016 - 8:55 pm

Sounds like you guys are doing just fine! 

This is the hardest part, little by little things will get back to normal.  A slightly different normal, an inspiring normal!

Keep us posted on your progress.

Karen

Tri-pug Maggie survived a 4.5 year mast cell cancer battle only to be lost to oral melanoma.

1999 to 2010

Maggie's Story                  Amputation and Chemo

Virginia

30 April 2016 - 9:27 pm

Thanks for taking the time to update us on the amazing TANG!! I don't think I k ew what day it was for the first two weeks and rarely knew if it was day or night!

GANF is very smart ro just rest and recuperate. Hope you can do the same!

And YAAAAAAAAAY for standing on his own and taking a few hops! It's also a big YAAAAAAAAAY that TANGO is eating just fine and drinking! Some dogs just don't jave an appetite. My Happy Hannah NEVER missed a meal, but she did turn her nose up to drinking water for the first two weeks! I had to mix ice cream in it to get her to drink!

Some dogs who are a lot younger take several days and more before they start standing on their ownand walking to potty on their own. A d heck, if your 98 yr young TANG needs a little help with a harness, that's still a spectacular accomplishment!

It sounds like TANG's pain is being managed...no restlessness, no excessive whining, no panting. Good job!

An EXCELLENT job on have such an optimistic outlook! We'd love to be able to celebrate a 20 yr. young tripawd!! 🙂

Check out how to post pictures under "Technical Support" . We wpuld LOVE to see photos of TANG!

It's still a little bumpy for awhile, but you will be on a smooth path soon!

Keep on keepin' on TEAM TANG! It gets easier!

Hugs!!

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

PS..Thank you for taking the time to read about the journey some of us have been on. Those of us who have pups at the Bridge, appreciate that cared enough to do that. And we love that they are still having a positive impact!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

On The Road

30 April 2016 - 10:01 pm

Howie! I'm just now catching up around here and am so hoppy to see things are going pretty darn well! I love that t-shirt sling idea, pretty cool. But I'm glad you received the harness, you'll love it. Thanks for ordering from us, and for all of your kind words about the wonderful people in this community.

You and Tang are true inspawration, especially to those folks with older pups who are going through this. Be sure to start a topic about Tang on 3 legs in "Size and Age Matters" sometime, that's a good place for stories about mature dogs and their life on 3 legs.

I hope the coming days are smooth sailing. Let us know how it's going OK?

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Tulsa, Oklahoma
6 May 2016 - 1:47 am

Day 10 Post Amp... Happy to report that TANG is doing great, yesterday May 5 (Day 9) was our first big outing!  Although he has shown me he can get to his feet, and can balance well with his hind leg, I have been letting him rest up while I get myself ready to take him out.  Which included :  1) getting his Ruffwear Webmaster Plus Harness w/ Brushguard  put together and sized.  I did a trial run with him the day before, in that I put it on him, got it all snug, and let him get used to wearing it while I tested how how well it lifted and controlled his movements.  I let him sleep with it on to see if he was cool with it, he was! 2) getting ready for my stairs, just playing it in my mind on how exactly we were going to tackle them, turns out since he was a hind leg Amp, going down the stairs was fine, by grabbing the handle I just kept it centered and lifted enough to where he was doing most of the work, but keeping his hind leg safe.  Going up the stairs would prove a lil harder. When  we got back, he tried going up the first two steps and realized his situation, after stumbling he and I both knew he was going to need help, he could no longer propel himself up.  So I combined a sling under his hind end, wrapped it snug above his hips in one hand, and grabbed the harness in the other and went nice and slow up, he in charge of the front, and me bringing up the rear!  While watching that back leg all the time.  We made it!  Stairs are a major obstacle, but with a harness and a sling / support, especially can be conquered. So that leads us to 3) seeing how well and safely he can walk, and for how far, how long.  Well before I knew it he was dragging me like he was his old Sled Dog self!  Not bad since he is a Blue Heeler!  Amazing how strong and determined he was when he got outside in his old stomping grounds for the first time in 9 days!  So when facing all of these obstacles for the first time it  became apparent to me that even though Tang might have needed some help, I was the one that saw these things as obstacles, HE just wanted to take ME on a walk, and show me how well he could get around on just 3 legs.  It was the best 1/4 mile walk of all time!  Dogs are so amazingly resilient‼️🐾🏃🏻  Good Luck and Hang in there. 

6 May 2016 - 6:11 am

Wow Howie sounds like Tang is getting along great.  He is still really early out to be walking a long distance.  Sometimes our dogs think they can do more than they actually should.  That was probably why the more help going back up the steps when he got home.  Although with that being said remember back leg amputees will have a harder time going up than down. 

Maybe instead of long distances for right now try doing some exercises that would strengthen those core muscles that he isn't used to using yet.  Then when he is totally healed up he will be ready for those long distances.  🙂 

I am glad he likes the harness they can be helpful

Hugs

Michelle & Angel Sassy

sassymichelle-sm.jpg

Sassy is a proud member of the Winter Warriors. Live long, & strong Winter Warriors.
sassysugarbear.tripawds.com
07/26/2006 - Sassy earned her wings 08/20/2013

05/04/2006 -  Bosch, Sassy's pal, earned his wings 03/29/19  fought cancer for 4 months.

"You aren't doing it TO her, you are doing it FOR her. Give her a chance at life."

On The Road

6 May 2016 - 9:38 am

SWEET! clapWhat a hoppy report!

So it sounds like you got the harness to fit better?

Yes, rear-leg tripawds have a harder time going up stairs. Dogs naturally have propulsion in their hind end. When they lose that extra jet, going up is harder. Tang will get there though, it's still early.

Here's to a great weekend!

Virginia

6 May 2016 - 11:12 am

Tang! You AND your human are amazing! You are both tuned into each other just beautifully!

Yes, ditto Michelle and Jerry on taking it a bit slower as far as distance walking and going up the stairs. Overdoing it in the beginning can cause sore muscles and strain on their joints. It sounds like it's really hard to make Tang slow down though! What a trooper! You've done a brilliant job of figuring out how to best help Tang go up steps! Fortunately my happy Hannah had an alternate route with a ramp as far as going outside. She never did Master going up the steps, and at 125 pounds it was hard to help!

You also did a wonderful job in figuring out a way to make sure that Tang enjoyed his harness, rather then be afraid of it. You and Tang have a very special relationship. It just warms my heart to see how you two work as a team!

Thanks for the spectacular.update! Keep 'em coming! To Tang, clearly age is just a number!

Hugs!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

6 May 2016 - 2:19 pm

Sounds like Tang is doing great.  If you can, let him pace himself on stair attempts.  Otis is a front leg amp, and at first, going down was horrifying (to me).  I felt sure he was going to break something.  After a couple of weeks of practice, totally at his own option, he can now go up and down without help in a controlled manner.

Otis - 106 pound lab/Dane mix, lost his right front leg to osteosarcoma on Febuary 9, 2016.  Four rounds of carboplatin completed in April, 2016.  Lung mets August 25, 2016.  Said goodbye too soon on September 4, 2016.   Lost his adopted sister, Tess, suddenly on October 9, 2016. likely due to hemangiosarcoma.  

Wherever they are, they are together.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
17 May 2016 - 4:16 am

3 Weeks since Amp.  Tang is doing just great.  He has adapted so well to life with three legs, its just incredible.  That being said the last three weeks have been incredibly hard on both of us.  The first week, 24 hrs a day, I was on call, very little sleep.  The second week, signs of improvement, Tang started his re-learning how to stand, balance, and walk.  Very trying times but rewarding!  This is when he started to help me help him, catnaps were all i could get.  The third week,  Tangs progress just took off!  All of the sudden he was getting back to his old self.  Wanting to go on a walk, perfecting his new ways of going to the bathroom.  Increased stamina, he was really getting good at walking and balancing, as well as increasing his distance.  Back to sleeping again.  Someone told me, or i read it from one of the nice people that replied to my post about Tang, that it gets easier, and that in 3 weeks he will be getting around so well, you wont believe it!  Hard to believe in the first days after the amputation, that it would work out that way, but it did.  It surely did.  So, it has been 3 long long weeks since surgery, and 126 days since i discovered the lump that would turn out to be a mast cell tumor on his leg, and it is now that i can say that WE have persevered.  Now its back to living life, with an appreciation of what was, and a greater appreciation of what will be.  Thanks again to all that responded to my post.  Its amazing what a few kind words of encouragement will do for a person, in my and Tangs case it has meant the world!  Everybody on this site has their own stories, mine was no different, but it sure felt good to write about it, and read the replies!  To all the Tripawds and the owners, i wish you and your dogs a healthy, wealthy life!   And Remember all Dogs go to Heaven, and we will all see each other again when it is time.  TANG sez 'woof woof'.  Ya'll take care. 🐾🚶🏻

17 May 2016 - 8:49 am

Excellent news!  And you will continue to see new abilities - Otis still surprises me from time to time with something he can do.

Otis - 106 pound lab/Dane mix, lost his right front leg to osteosarcoma on Febuary 9, 2016.  Four rounds of carboplatin completed in April, 2016.  Lung mets August 25, 2016.  Said goodbye too soon on September 4, 2016.   Lost his adopted sister, Tess, suddenly on October 9, 2016. likely due to hemangiosarcoma.  

Wherever they are, they are together.

On The Road

17 May 2016 - 10:54 am

Thanks for the great update! Please keep us posted.

Virginia

17 May 2016 - 12:44 pm

STANDING OVATION FOR HOWIE AND TANG!!! WOOF! WOOF! YAAAAAAAAAY!! clap

This update just makes me so darn happy! I'm so glad to know.you BOTH are getting.back to living life to the fullest and...getting some sleep!!way-cool

It took my Happy Hannah to around the three week mark before I could finally feel.like I was doing this FOR her, and not TO her!!

You and TANG have indeed persevered! You are making every day, every moment, count! TANG is pain free, getting lots of spoiling and loving and treats! All.is good in TANG'S world...and that lights our world up!!heart

You and TANG are such a great team. You are an EXCELLENT steward. And thank YOU for your contributions! TANG is an inspiration to us all! Give yourself a big hug! You deserve it!

HUGS!

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 205
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17879
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: