TRIPAWDS: Home to 22969 Members and 2152 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
TANG, Day 104 with Mast Cell Tumor on Left Hind Leg. April 26th = Amputation Day 1
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Tulsa, Oklahoma
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
25 April 2016 - 5:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Tang is my 13yr 8mo 23day old Blue Heeler.  Discovered a bump on his leg January 11, 2016.  As of today April 25, it has been 104 days of fighting it.  From injections of meds into the tumor, to level 1 Chemo pills, to level 2, and level 3.  Level 3 being the highest Chemo pill, and the toughest side effects, ulcers that caused internal bleeding, the decision to bypass the last hope of destroying the tumor and possibly saving Tangs leg was a no brainer for the two of us.  Amputation was our next move, no more maybes, this would get rid of that tumor that was increasing in size, but still had not spread into the hip and into his body!  3 days before surgery, X-Rays of the chest and body were negative!  A Sonogram of his stomach were negative!  Blood work was negative!  The Cancer was in check, isolated to his hind leg. 🔹                         .  So here we are, tomorrow it is, we are ready!  With no idea of what this is really like, we have only the info and advice from others on this great site TRIPAWDS!!  It is my plan to share our story - the ups and downs of Amputation and recovery and success, neither Tang or I know anything about whats to come, we know where we have been.  So sure Im sad for my Dog, and i know the amount of dedicated work that will be needed by us both, but heck, wouldnt all of us do anything in our power to save our beloved pets?  Its going to be a life changer... but i guess the key word there is LIFE!!!  So here we go.  🐾 🚶🏽 🐾  HOWIE + TANG from Oklahoma, wishing everybody out there good luck on your journey just to get to this point!  I imagine the real work, as well as a new page, all begins tomorrow.  🐈 🐾 🚶🏻   

On The Road

25 April 2016 - 6:04 pm

Welcome and best wishes for Tang! Start here for some helpful links to get the most out of the Tripawds community, and please keep us posted.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

25 April 2016 - 8:07 pm

Glad to see you posted Howie.  It was great talking to you on Sunday.  Wishing you Tang the best of luck tomorrow.  🙂  Keep us informed of his progress.  Maybe start a blog so that others can follow your story with the meds and how you treated before.  It is an interesting way to treat his cancer.   Glad everything was negative in all the other tests 🙂

hugs

Michelle & Angel Sassy

sassymichelle-sm.jpg

Sassy is a proud member of the Winter Warriors. Live long, & strong Winter Warriors.
sassysugarbear.tripawds.com
07/26/2006 - Sassy earned her wings 08/20/2013

05/04/2006 -  Bosch, Sassy's pal, earned his wings 03/29/19  fought cancer for 4 months.

"You aren't doing it TO her, you are doing it FOR her. Give her a chance at life."

Livermore, CA

25 April 2016 - 8:19 pm

Hi and welcome.

My pug Maggie lost her left rear leg to a MCT.  You can read her story and about her amp and chemo if you are interested, the links are in my signature below.

I was at the MAF K9 Cancer walk yesterday and was talking with Tripawd parents.  We me a JRT that had lost his front leg two years ago to a fibrosarcoma.  He's now 17 years old... almost 18!

Best of luck tomorrow and keep us posted.

Karen and the Spirit Pug Girls

Tri-pug Maggie survived a 4.5 year mast cell cancer battle only to be lost to oral melanoma.

1999 to 2010

Maggie's Story                  Amputation and Chemo

Virginia

25 April 2016 - 9:20 pm

Hi Howie and Tang!

WOW! You and Tang have really been busy "taking care of business" for wuite awhile now! Now you can "give that tumor da' business" by getting rid of that bum leg!

Glad all the tests came back giving Tang the all clear. All we can do is so the best the medical field has to offer. You clearly are doing everything possible to give your Tang the best possible chance at extended quality time. He's obviously a very fiesty and strong boy!

Glad you had a chance to speak with Michelle. She's very knowledgeable.

Recovery is no picnic for about two weeks. It is major surgery and senior dogs sometimes need a little extra recovery time and extra time to get their "sea legs".

Usually bets keep the dogs one night. When you go pick Tang up don't even bother looking at his incision, he sure isn't! He just wants to hear what a good boy he is and wants you to take him home!

Some dogs are quite lethargic for a few days. Some are restless and whiny. Keeping the pain managed is important. Sometimes you have to mess around with the dose and their frequency in order to find the right balance as discussed with your vet.

Stay connected and update us as soon as he's out of surgery. We'll be cheering for this very special "young" senior! You jave a strong position attitude and that is always helpful. Tang will become confident and self assured by feeding off your energy.

Hugs to you both!

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
27 April 2016 - 6:33 pm

TANG said
Tang is my 13yr 8mo 23day old Blue Heeler.  Discovered a bump on his leg January 11, 2016.  As of today April 25, it has been 104 days of fighting it.  From injections of meds into the tumor, to level 1 Chemo pills, to level 2, and level 3.  Level 3 being the highest Chemo pill, and the toughest side effects, ulcers that caused internal bleeding, the decision to bypass the last hope of destroying the tumor and possibly saving Tangs leg was a no brainer for the two of us.  Amputation was our next move, no more maybes, this would get rid of that tumor that was increasing in size, but still had not spread into the hip and into his body!  3 days before surgery, X-Rays of the chest and body were negative!  A Sonogram of his stomach were negative!  Blood work was negative!  The Cancer was in check, isolated to his hind leg. 🔹                         .  So here we are, tomorrow it is, we are ready!  With no idea of what this is really like, we have only the info and advice from others on this great site TRIPAWDS!!  It is my plan to share our story - the ups and downs of Amputation and recovery and success, neither Tang or I know anything about whats to come, we know where we have been.  So sure Im sad for my Dog, and i know the amount of dedicated work that will be needed by us both, but heck, wouldnt all of us do anything in our power to save our beloved pets?  Its going to be a life changer... but i guess the key word there is LIFE!!!  So here we go.  🐾 🚶🏽 🐾  HOWIE + TANG from Oklahoma, wishing everybody out there good luck on your journey just to get to this point!  I imagine the real work, as well as a new page, all begins tomorrow.  🐈 🐾 🚶🏻   

27 April 2016 - 8:16 pm

Hope Tang is doing well.

Michelle & Angel Sassy

sassymichelle-sm.jpg

Sassy is a proud member of the Winter Warriors. Live long, & strong Winter Warriors.
sassysugarbear.tripawds.com
07/26/2006 - Sassy earned her wings 08/20/2013

05/04/2006 -  Bosch, Sassy's pal, earned his wings 03/29/19  fought cancer for 4 months.

"You aren't doing it TO her, you are doing it FOR her. Give her a chance at life."

Tulsa, Oklahoma
27 April 2016 - 9:07 pm

Day 1 of Post Op •  First off I want to report that Tangs surgery went great, as great as an amputation can go.  Yesterday (April 26) was day 0... what a tough day, Tang handled it better than I did, but I put up as much of a front as I could, for him.  The hardest thing was figuring out how to get him out of the car, and up the stairs!  I already had prepared his bedding, pillows, and for those with Hardwood floors...a roll of Non-Slip shelf liner.  That provided much needed traction for the front legs and especially his LEG in the back! So if you get your dog the day of surgery it will be a long one, just getting them situated.  So... Today (April 27)  • Day 1 •  I went from being his Doctor/Nurse, to becoming his partner in this 3 legged adventure!  I mean what a learning curve!  When Tang first showed an interest in trying to get up on his 2 front legs, he met with failure, and it was then, he looked up at me with a look I have not seen in 13 years when he was 6 months old while crossing the Arkansas River, and getting in a slight current, that look that said ' I think I might need some help!'  So this tough old (almost14) STOIC Blue Heeler in a glance, caught me, made me think... Don't break my heart now, Tango!  So that is when we became partners in this, I made the fastest sling out of an old long sleeved T shirt, got it around him, and before you know it, and with a little tweaking and positioning, I am holding up his hind leg and he is figuring out his new situation!  So, progress already on Day 1.  WOW!  I promise, it will take you back to the days they were a puppy!!  Coaching them, praising them, rooting them on!  It is a proud moment when they make those first strides against the loss of a leg.  It's remarkable!  Once they start helping you help them, and they show you their determination, it is all downhill from there, and you realize the reason why.... Why, they are Man's BEST Friend.  🐾  🚶🏻 🐶‼️   Good Luck to all the 3 legged dogs and their human partners!  Thanks to the folks from Tripawds... JERRY, RENEE, MICHELLE, KAREN, and SALLY. 🤗   

Livermore, CA

27 April 2016 - 9:40 pm

Home day of surgery is a tough way to start!  Good for you for keeping a positive attitude!

A cloth shopping bag makes a good sling also- cut it open at the sides and the handle is built in.

Good job thinking of the shelf liner, just be sure it will stay in place and not bunch up when Tang hops. With my little pug Maggie I tried the liner you use to keep rugs from slipping on hard floors. It worked OK at first but then would bunch up, and when my quad pug (and sometimes me) walked across it it would come up.

I love your positive attitude!  You guys are going to do great.

Karen

Tri-pug Maggie survived a 4.5 year mast cell cancer battle only to be lost to oral melanoma.

1999 to 2010

28 April 2016 - 6:00 am

Hooray for Tang!  Sounds like your long journey is arriving at a better place.   I am a big fan of the Ruffwear Webmaster harness - you can find more info. in the gear blog.  And, I think with a rear leg amputee you can begin using it right away instead of a sling.   It has a handle on the back to allow you to assist Tang, and also a clip for his lead so that when you get to walking, you can keep the lead up and away from his feet.  Otis is about 100 pounds, and it allows me to assist him to stand by just applying gentle lifting pressure.   He likes it too, even rolls in the grass in it.

Otis - 106 pound lab/Dane mix, lost his right front leg to osteosarcoma on Febuary 9, 2016.  Four rounds of carboplatin completed in April, 2016.  Lung mets August 25, 2016.  Said goodbye too soon on September 4, 2016.   Lost his adopted sister, Tess, suddenly on October 9, 2016. likely due to hemangiosarcoma.  

Wherever they are, they are together.

Virginia

28 April 2016 - 9:15 am

WELCOME HOME TANG!!! And kudos to Howie for taking such gpood care of his buddy! Bringing them home the same day of surgery can be very overwhelming! Looks like you and Tang are working through it just fine!

He may have a bit of a crash in a day or two after all the hospital meds are out of his system. Just rest and potty breaks.

You and Tango are a great team! You clearly understand each other very well. Yep, Tang gave you the same look you saw when he was in the current in the Arkansas River. You recognized it and knew what to do! This joirney is similar. It's like swimming upstream for a bit, but eventually you'll get to shore, shake it off, and get on with living life to the fullest..........pain free!!

Love the idea of shelf liners for traction !

Keep us posted, stay connected and, when you can, try and grab some rest..You're doing a great job!!

Higs!

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

Livermore, CA

30 April 2016 - 10:32 am

I was thinking about you guys today, how are things going?

Karen

1999 to 2010

Tulsa, Oklahoma
30 April 2016 - 1:14 pm

krun15 said
I was thinking about you guys today, how are things going?

Karen

Hi, good grief what day is it?  What a blur since Tangs surgery on Tuesday!  I have new respect to anyone that has gone thru their pet having cancer, as well as an amputation... What a learning curve you are thrown into.  I never knew how truly heavy my 55lb Heeler actually is!!  Well today (Sat) is day 5, and we are good, been a lot of peaks and valleys, but he is adjusting.  He's almost 14 yrs old, and I was thinking, I haven't heard of too many people with a dog that age facing amputation, but he is doing great, appetite in tact, plenty of water and milk, alert but sleeping quite a bit.  I have stairs I have to deal with at my house, which is near impossible, until ur Dog can really help you help them, but my dog harness just got here, and I can't wait to get it on Tang!  This will so help his confidence and mine.  I forgot to say, Tang was drinking water yesterday, standing up on all 3's with my help and a sling around him, while he was drinking I removed the sling and he was standing and then walking or hopping on his own!!  What an achievement for any dog...but Tang being almost 14...that is 98 in our years, now that is incredible!  I think we will try to break the record for the oldest dog on record which was just set 2 weeks ago by an Australian Kelpie...30 years.  But the one that had held the title for 77 years until a couple weeks ago was yet another one of Tangs countrymen..  A Blue Heeler named Bluey (which is the name I gave Tangs daughter) she lived to be 29 yrs, 5 months!  So we have a ways to go... 🐾  🚶🏻  Thanks Karen, Jerry, Sally, Renee, Christine, Michelle.  I have taken the time to read all of your story's about your dogs as well, it's an incredible journey so many people have been on with their 3 legged buddies, but made easier with a site like Tripawds, and people like you!  Ya'll take care.  TANG + Howie

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
30 April 2016 - 1:36 pm

Hello Howie and Tang.  Just read through your story, and am glad to see that Tang is recovering. Yes, stairs are an issue for tripawds.  We ended up moving Johnnie to our home office which is in the ground floor.   Take good care of the incision during this recovery.  As others have said, the first two weeks are hard, and especially these first 5-7 days.  After this period they start to regain energy and routine.  

Harnesses are a great help! Wouldn't know how to live without Johnnie's Ruffwear harness

Waiting for more updates on Tang.  

Daniela & Johnnie

Our awesome Golden Boy was diagnosed for OSA in April 2014 in the proximal humerus, front-leg amp on 05/20/2014. Finished chemo (Carbo6) on 07/10/2014. Ongoing treatment: acupuncture + K-9 Immunity Plus ( 3chews) and home-cooked no-grain diet.   Stopped Apocaps because of liver issues.   Liver issues: controlling altered enzymes with SAM-e and Milk Thistle.  October 17:  started having seizures.  Taking fenobarbital for seizures.  April 18: started prednisone.

30 April 2016 - 2:16 pm

I am currently 6 days out with my Dane and all of the advice on here is great. Do your warm or cold compresses as suggested by your vet and stay on top of your meds. Tang will have some adjusting to do but massages have help my fur baby a great deal. Good Luck!!!!way-coolway-cool

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 180
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1268
Members: 17731
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: