TRIPAWDS: Home to 22971 Members and 2152 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Chloe becoming a Tripawd on Friday, 3/27/09
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
My heart lives at Rainbow Bridge
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
29 March 2009 - 2:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I do hope you find the dane.  The circumstances were very unfortunate for you and the dogs.

Shanna & Spirit Trouble ~ Trouble gained her wings 3/16/2011, a 27 1/2 month cancer survivor, tail wagging. RIP sweetheart, you are my heart and soul.  Run free at Rainbow Bridge.
The November Five - Spirits Max, Cherry, Tika, Trouble & Nova. 11/2008 - 3/2013 An era ends as Queen Nova crossed the Bridge.

Central Michigan
29 March 2009 - 9:54 pm

I know, in the end it is my fault and no one is more sorry than I am for what happened.  I wish I had gotten up earlier and been the one to care for them... but I wasn't and this happened.  I'm about cried out now.  I put years into my dane. She was awesome at obedience and was one of my best friends.  I got compliments on her behavior wherever we went.  I don't have children.  My dogs and horses are my family...and again... I'm sorry I let this happen.   It is most definately in the past now though and I gotta work with what I have left.  Jake is still here, doing really well, and I hope to find the support and advice I need here as he heals.  I'm worried about his weight being an issue for him.  I've been working on slimming him down over the last two months I've had him, but he'd only lost about 4 or 5 pounds.  Jake was found in a ditch by a good friend of mine.. She called me for help.  We suspect his owners litterally "dropped him off" and drove away.  If all goes well, I'd like to look into turing Jake into a therapy dog someday. I took care of my father when he had to have a leg amputated two years ago, and I think he would've loved to have met a dog like Jake to encourage him after his loss. 

My heart lives at Rainbow Bridge
30 March 2009 - 10:07 pm

Trouble was a chunk when she had surgery also, and being a pittie carried most of her weight in the front.  That was one of the concerns the vet had when he did the surgery.  I immediately began cutting back on her food when we got her home.  In 4 months, she is down 14 lbs.  Just cut back, feed on a schedule, and he should adjust just fine and pull of the pounds you need him to loose.

It was almost as if Trouble knew she needed to loose weight, she has always been a chow hound and wanted her food bowl full, but after the surgery, she never once asked for more food than I was giving her.

Shanna & Spirit Trouble ~ Trouble gained her wings 3/16/2011, a 27 1/2 month cancer survivor, tail wagging. RIP sweetheart, you are my heart and soul.  Run free at Rainbow Bridge.
The November Five - Spirits Max, Cherry, Tika, Trouble & Nova. 11/2008 - 3/2013 An era ends as Queen Nova crossed the Bridge.

31 March 2009 - 9:40 am

Update:

Well the surgery didn't happen on Friday.  There was a miscommunication about the financial plan (we were told prior to scheduling that we could do a payment plan), but they call the evening before telling us we would have to pay the entire amount.  The director of the hospital is still on vacation, so we have to wait to get everything figured out financially before we can proceed.  It's very frustrating as we'd been preparing for Friday for over a week. 

Chloe is doing fine though.  A big snowstorm came through, and the dogs had fun romping in it all weekend long.  Will post an update when she has her surgery.  Should be next week somtime.

On The Road

31 March 2009 - 10:43 am

It is indeed unfortunate that you're forced with financial concerns on top of the amputation angst. Thanks for the update and best wishes for getting through this.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: benny55, Carlynn
Guest(s) 195
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1268
Members: 17734
Moderators: 6