TRIPAWDS: Home to 23108 Members and 2159 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Chloe becoming a Tripawd on Friday, 3/27/09
sp_NewTopic Add Topic

sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
25 March 2009 - 9:58 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Our 2 year old Australian Shepherd, Chloe, is going in this Friday to become a tripawd.  On January 15th, she was shot two times by my neighbor, who has since been charged with animal cruelty.  First, it's a miracle she survived both shots without being hit in any vital organs, etc.  She was shot from behind once where it went through the back of her shoulder and out her chest.  The leg bone at the shoulder joint was fragmented, but the vets were hoping it would fuse back together.  Unfortunately it has not, so he has recommended amputation on her front right leg.  She hardly puts any weight on it, and it's basically collapsed so there is no support for leg.  She has a sister, Reba, who she can keep up with limping/hopping along, so hopefully when she isn't in chronic pain anymore, she'll be running next to her step for step.  Already, Chloe hitches that leg up and runs just as fast as he sister.  She chases rabbits, squirrels, ducks, and anything else,  so am glad she'll be able to do that even more comfortably when she doesn't have that gimp leg to worry about.  

After talking to the surgeon and vets at (in my opinion) one of the best vets in the country, Alameda East Vet Clinic, and reading posts on here, we're confident Chloe wiill be better off after her surgery.  That being said, still anxious and a little sad about the surgery.  I guess I'm said because although we know she's in at least a little pain, she's a happy dog and putting her through the pain of surgery and recovery just seems mean.  It seems mean because she doesn't know it's coming!  Either way we're ready for it to be over so Chloe can start running and chasing her favorite things again!

This site has been such a help just to read other people's experiences though!  Thanks!

Northern Indiana
25 March 2009 - 12:22 pm

I am so sorry this happened to your Chloe. but I am glad you and your team of vets are looking out for her. Give her lots of love and hang in there during the first 2 weeks post op. It is not cruel to amputate, it is kind and the most loving thing you can do for her.

Take care & keep us informed,

Gineej & Paris

Grateful for every moment we had with Paris…..no regrets!

Honoring her life by opening our hearts & home to Addy!

On The Road

25 March 2009 - 12:43 pm

coloradotri said:

It seems mean because she doesn't know it's coming!

Thanks for joining the discusssion! What a tragic way to have the amputation decision forced upon you.

But stop personifying how Chloe may feel about it. She will be happy once she is free of pain and able to run without her bad leg getting in her way. As you mention, she is basically already living life on three legs. Once she recovers from the surgery she'll be much better off, without a sore leg she might be trying to use. Us humans often have a more difficult time dealing with this than the dogs do!

Best wishes for a speedy complete recovery, and good luck dealing with your neighbor.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

25 March 2009 - 6:07 pm

Thanks for the encouragement!  Chloe knows that she's going to be happier once she is out of constant pain.  Just have to make it through the recovery.

25 March 2009 - 9:08 pm

The first few days after surgery are the hardest, and then after that, every day there are noticeable improvements! I second what Jerry (admin) said, that the amputation is harder on us humans than on our dogs.

Debbie and Bailey
26 March 2009 - 2:58 am

Chloe, we will all be thinking of you and your family. Soon all of this will be in your past.  I think I share the same feelings of all who use this site and also of many other dog lovers of what happened to Chloe and about the person who did this to her.  Now onto her healing and fun days ahead. We now live full time as "full time campers". We just started this new life style when we learned of Bailey's cancer and then surgery. I remember crying and the always question of "why?". Now I know why, Bailey is a gift to us and her life was ment to teach, to educate. As we have been traveling around Bailey has been able to "spread the word" so to speak, of what happened to her and she has been able to help others, even people who are now learning to cope due to physical changes, and even go to elementary schools. She does use her wheel chair most of the time now while she is out and about (she is 11 and has a partial tear on her remaining hind leg) and just recently visited an elderly lady who is in a wheel chair and even road the chair left. I Know of many other dogs who are also part of this life, the one where their life was ment to teach and educated (and we have all the dogs and their families on this web site to thanks for teaching us so now we can also go out and help).  Bailey has also taught me what to do with my life and how to now live it and enjoy each and every day. Our dogs are gifts and there is a reason why.  At one camp ground we met a family who were proud pawparents of a young yellow lab mix. He also had an amputation of his front leg due to a gun shot . His  sister is a younger however a much larger dog. I wish you could see them play together. He keeps right up with her and she even tires before he does.       On the day of Bailey's surgery I was very anxious. Who isn't, we love our dogs. Our surgeon allowed us to stay together right up to the surgery. So Bailey and I sat on the floor in the waiting room on a blanket (we were also given the choice of using one of the exam rooms, but the waiting room worked better for us). She was taken out for things as blood work and the pre-surgery shot(s), each time she was brought back to my husband and me. What this did for all of us was to ease our anxiouty. Now I realize that many surgeons will not be able to accommodate this, but it is worth asking if you feel it is best for you and Chloe. For us it did help Bailey as she has never been in a kennel let alone left with out us before. And the biggest thing was we were so very anxious and we knew Bailey felt it as well, so this helped us all relax. Remember what you feel they will also feel.  When you pick Chloe up after surgery remember to be HAPPY. Most likely she will have one of those "beautiful" colars on and she will have been shaved. Don't look at that and feel sorry for her as she will pick up on that. Read the posts of what to expect from the surgery. Then know that Chloe will continue to be a happy dog and will be licking your face with much thanks for you taking care of her and giving her love.

26 March 2009 - 9:38 am

Especially for such a young dog, Chloe will be fine.  Just have lots of Kleenex handy!  You'll love being able to give her a hug without her whining in pain.  Your situation sounds similar to our Cobalt, she dragged around her leg for a couple of months before it was amputated.  She was already used to moving around without it so the recovery time was much faster.  Good luck, we're thinking of you!

On The Road

26 March 2009 - 11:13 am

Debbie and Bailey said:

On the day of Bailey's surgery I was very anxious. Who isn't, we love our dogs.

Thanks for the wonderful input Debbie! Please consider registering for the forums so your posts will appear immediately without requirinf moderation.

PS: It's great to have another full-timing tripawd join us. Did you know we hit the road with Jerry after selling our business and house when he got cancer? PBS featured our story in Nature's Why We Love Cat's and Dogs.

On The Road

26 March 2009 - 11:35 am

We just received this reply from as a quetionable post report. The member apparently hit the Report button instead of Quote ...

My Hardy had the worst possible start in life, he was a wreck when I found him - bad bleeding mange and emaciated - and had to have a front leg amputated after being hit by a car. After surgery he cried like a baby, and so did I, but the next day he was miles better, and limping along on 3 legs, by the third day he had a short walk and was managing stairs already! Boy, do they recover quickly - he even manages to dig holes in the lawn, with one front leg! that is doggie determination for you.

Best of luck with Chloe, I am sure that 10 days from now you will all be feeling a whole lot better. Any way you can ditch that neighbour??

Mary & Allan
27 March 2009 - 12:03 pm

SuperstarChloe,   We are thinking about you today in this hard time of your life.  All will be fine.  You and Reba will be playing again.  Our thoughts & prayers are with you.  We'll come to see you real soon.  We love you!         Mary Ann & Allan

On The Road

27 March 2009 - 2:20 pm

Thanks for sending good thoughts Mary! Please consider registering for the forums so your posts will appear immediately without requiring moderation.

Central Michigan
28 March 2009 - 10:37 pm

OMG!  My dog Jake was just shot by someone on March 23rd, three times.  Two shots missed every organ and artery but the third shattered Jake's right front leg. It had to be removed on the 25th.  When we picked him up after the surgery, he actually dragged the vet assistant across the room and he jumped into our truck before we could try to help him.. It was amazing.. He's already almost the same dog he was with 4 legs...!  My great dane is missing however, and we think she was shot and killed by whoever did this to Jake... People can be so terrible, I just don't understand it....

My heart lives at Rainbow Bridge
29 March 2009 - 10:48 am

jokeur said:

OMG!  My dog Jake was just shot by someone on March 23rd, three times.  Two shots missed every organ and artery but the third shattered Jake's right front leg. It had to be removed on the 25th.  When we picked him up after the surgery, he actually dragged the vet assistant across the room and he jumped into our truck before we could try to help him.. It was amazing.. He's already almost the same dog he was with 4 legs…!  My great dane is missing however, and we think she was shot and killed by whoever did this to Jake… People can be so terrible, I just don't understand it….

I don't mean for this to sound judgemental, and I certainly feel your pain, with poor Jake meeting such a horrible fate, but I certainly hope he and the dane were out because of something accidental and not just out roaming where they can be in harms way.

Shanna & Spirit Trouble ~ Trouble gained her wings 3/16/2011, a 27 1/2 month cancer survivor, tail wagging. RIP sweetheart, you are my heart and soul.  Run free at Rainbow Bridge.
The November Five - Spirits Max, Cherry, Tika, Trouble & Nova. 11/2008 - 3/2013 An era ends as Queen Nova crossed the Bridge.

Central Michigan
29 March 2009 - 11:16 am

It's actually a bit of a sore subject... my boyfriend woke up before me and just let the dogs outside, instead of putting them out in the big kennel I built last year for that purpose.  When I woke up a little while later, he'd forgotten about them, only meant to put them out for a minute and they were gone.  I don't know what he was thinking!!  But I haven't beat him up too much over it...he's been in tears since it happened and feels very guilty.  A hard lesson to learn though.  We live out in the middle of nowhere.  The several neighbors we do have all know us and our dogs because we walked the three of them all the time.  I talked to them and even they started crying over what happened to the dogs... We have no idea who did it.  And my Dane was half crippled up from hip displyasia anyways... we couldn't walk her as often as the other two and no more than two miles.  Even then she was dragging butt to get home, but she still loved to go.  She took meds and got injections to help with her pain.  So, no, we don't let them run the neighborhood all the time.  It was an "oops" that ended up about as bad as it possibly could have. 🙁 

On The Road

29 March 2009 - 11:33 am

Oops indeed. Terribly tragic, but in the past. Take the lead from our amazing pups; make the most of what you've got and move on. Thanks to everyone for not beating anyone up around here.

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: Matie
Guest(s) 233
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17864
Moderators: 6