TRIPAWDS: Home to 23119 Members and 2161 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Surgery scheduled for Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - nervous
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
18 June 2015 - 11:07 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Cloe came home last night.  We are glad to have her home.  I was a little shocked at how she looked and how big the incision is, but was amazed at how well she was "hopping" already.  She had a good night without any restlessness, but seems a little restless this morning.  Wish they could talk!  She has been eating some chicken and rice and drinking well.  She has been outside to go potty 3-4 times, but needs to work on her stance/form a little bit.  lol  Still waiting for the poop.  Cloe doesn't seem to be in much pain, so that is good.  She is getting lots of love from everyone here.  Trying to post some pictures, but can't get it to work. 

On The Road

18 June 2015 - 2:09 pm

Yay glad she made it home! If she continues to be restless, ask your vet about adjusting her medication, she may need more or less. Just kinda a trial and error thing.

Glad everything is pretty normal as far as recovery. Paws crossed for more good updates!

Here's a link for adding photos to the discussion forums. If you'd like some help, just holler.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Martinsburg, WV
18 June 2015 - 5:33 pm

I'm so glad that Cloe is home and things are going well.  It's a good sign that she's eating and drinking.  Like Jerry mentioned the restlessness may have to do with meds.  All dogs don't handle meds the same and it may take some tweaking to find what works best for Cloe.  Oh and the first poop may take a few days.  My Leland didn't poop till day 5 post amp I believe.  Between the shock to the body with major surgery and then all the meds our pups' bowels can get a little out of whack.

Anyway, keep us updated when you can and hopefully you can get the picture thing figured out.  We'd love to see lots of pics of your precious Cloe!!

Hang in there!!

Sahana and her Angel Leland and Lucian too

Leland

November 17, 2009 - June 30, 2014

May you finally be healthy and running free at the Rainbow Bridge. Until we meet again my sweet boy!

21 June 2015 - 1:17 pm

I figured out the photo issue.  Thanks Jerry for the link. 

Well, we finally got a poop yesterday morning and again this morning.  Yeah!  Yesterday and today it seems like Cloe is having a harder time getting around.  Is this normal?  Does she have sore muscles from using different ones in different ways?  Last night she was a little restless during the night.  Kept moving around and adjusting her position, like she couldn't get comfortable.  She never whined or whimpered, so I don't think she it is due to pain.  Her pain patch came off on Friday morning, which was the 3rd day.  I was hoping it would stay on longer. 

My husband took her for a very short walk this morning.  Is this o.k. to do this soon after surgery?  I feel like we need to keep her moving, without overdoing it.  I know it's still early, but I'm beginning to wonder if she is going to be up for this at her age.  I hope she doesn't throw in the towel!!   

This photo is from the day after surgery. 

Karen

Image Enlarger

Martinsburg, WV
21 June 2015 - 4:54 pm

In regards to activity all Cloe should be doing is going out for leashed potty breaks. This should continue for the first couple of weeks in recovery.  Right now here body needs more rest than exercise since she went through a major surgery.  

I know it's hard to wait because your want your old Cloe back.  And she'll get there it will just take a little time. 

Sahana and her Angel Leland and Lucian too

Leland

November 17, 2009 - June 30, 2014

May you finally be healthy and running free at the Rainbow Bridge. Until we meet again my sweet boy!

Virginia

21 June 2015 - 5:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Apologies for having to respond with a screenshot that you have to enlarge to read!! I'm having a hard time getting my replies to go into a "saved post".

Also, for whatever crazy reason, your post ended up showing up in my replu!!!

I'm soooo sorry for soing it this way, but it's better than trying to retype...a d remember...what I wrote only to have it stay tuck in cyberland somewhere.!!!

Screenshot_2015-06-21-18-54-09_zpszv6nm87e.jpgImage Enlarger

Screenshot_2015-06-21-18-54-33_zpseawvg6xe.jpgImage Enlarger

Screenshot_2015-06-21-18-54-39_zpsppj2spth.jpgImage Enlarger

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

On The Road

22 June 2015 - 9:46 am

benny55 said
I'm soooo sorry for soing it this way, but it's better than trying to retype...a d remember...what I wrote only to have it stay tuck in cyberland somewhere.!!!

Sally I want to teach you how to copy and paste on your tavlet, PM me OK?

Karen, glad to hear she's poopin! That's awesome.

I know we've all been trained by our own doctors to get up and around after surgery, and while that's important for our Tripawds too, it needs to be done very incrementally for a dog like Cloe. Consider her age, her new body and the medications she's been on, and it's a pretty exhausting ordeal. Give her time and like Sahana said, all she should be doing for the next couple of weeks is getting up and going potty. Don't baby her too much, make her go get her food and water, things like that, but also don't let her overdo it either.

By any chance are you able to take her to a rehab vet for an evaluation and therapy work? It's really invaluable for a dog her age, if it's at all in your budget you may want to consider it. Otherwise check out our Tripawds e-books library if you haven't already, our Loving Life On Three Legs book has lots of tips for post-amp living at any age.

Hope your week goes great! Keep us posted.

24 June 2015 - 6:32 am

I thought I posted something on Sunday, but it doesn't seem to be here.  Oops! 

Any way, I was feeling bad that we had let Cloe do too much too soon.  But, going forward, she has been resting and only going out for potty breaks or to lay in the sun.  She has been eating great (mostly chicken, so why shouldn't she be) but now hasn't pooped again since Sunday.  Hopefully we will have another soon.

I was wondering how soon following surgery you left your Tripawd alone for any length of time?  I had to return to work on Monday, which I hated to do, and we have a friend dog sitting for us this week.  I just don't want her trying any new tricks while no one is home.

We made it to our one week ampuversary yesterday!  Hoping things keep getting better from here on out. 

Thanks for all of your good advice.  I really appreciate it and am very glad I found this site. 

Karen  

Norene, TN
24 June 2015 - 8:02 am

That's an excellent question. I had the same concerns myself when we had to go to work after Harmony's surgery. I sent an email to the vet asking his suggestion and I was quite surprised by his answer. He told me that the quicker we get back to our normal schedule the quicker she would adjust to her new norm. That didn't mean we would leave her outside like we used to but to confine her so she would continue to rest and recuperate.

He also said that she would get better rest without us there checking on her every 5 minutes. So, that's what we did. We took her step-sister (Melody) and put her outside while we confined Harmony inside in a closed off washroom. Needless to say, the hub-a-dub and I were worry-warts the entire day until we got home to find her happy and rested.

Pam

Harmony became a Tripawd on 10/21/14 (MCT). She left us way too soon on 11/1/14.

"We miss you so much; our love, our heart, our Harmony."

- Pam, Ron and Melody, Meesha, Doublestuff and Mariah Carey

On The Road

24 June 2015 - 9:10 am

Hi Karen!

Apologies if your post disappeared. We are having some gremlins in the forums this week and are working hard to obliterate them. Meanwhile, congrats on your one week ampuversary!

Please don't feel badly, the Tripawd "new normal" is a learning experience for everyone. You just learn and move on and do your best, that's all Chloe wants and for you to be happy!

As for leaving our dog's alone, it really depends on the situation but honestly most are fine being left alone for the workday after about a week and they're left in a safe, contained environment for that next week. Having someone check on her is perfect! Let us know how the week goes.

Los Angeles, CA
24 June 2015 - 9:53 am

I am a single pawrent and had to go back to work SO I left Shelby on her own about 48 hours after she came home. I did have to confine her in a crate (which she hated) but she was fine. She slept and rested and that was what she needed. I agree w/Pam - once they sense the 'new normal' ... things get better.

Shelby and I had our ups and downs at night when her pacing / restless behavior was its worst BUT it did get better. The healing is definitely a process ... HUGS! 

Shelby Lynne; Jack Russell/Shiba Inu mix. Proud member of the April Angels of 2014.

October 15, 2000 to April 8, 2014

Our story: Broke rear leg in June 2013 - non-conclusive results for cancer so leg was plated and pinned. Enlarged spleen in September 2013 and had it removed and was diagnosed with Hemangiosarcoma and started chemotherapy. Became a Tripawd January 8th, 2014 and definitive Hemangiosarcoma diagnosis. Three major surgeries in 7 months and Shelby took them all like a champ only to lose her battle to cancer in her brain. We had 8 amazing extra months together and no regrets. #shelbystrong #loveofmylife

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 292
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17870
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: