TRIPAWDS: Home to 22974 Members and 2152 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Surgery scheduled for Tuesday, June 16, 2015 - nervous
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
14 June 2015 - 6:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi!  My 9 year old boxer Cloe is scheduled for surgery on Tuesday.  Needless to say, I am very nervous about it. Cloe has a soft tissue sarcoma on her left front leg that is spreading.  We have had it removed 3 times since 2013 and it keeps coming back.  Her last surgery was in February, and this time it came back with a vengeance.  About 3 weeks ago it broke open from the skin getting so thin.  In the past 2 weeks, 2 more small spots have appeared higher up on her leg.  A visit to the oncologist resulted in a recommendation of amputation as her best chance, as the other option of removing the tumor again will only be a temporary fix and it will eventually return and possibly spread further.  This type of cancer can spread to the lungs and lymph nodes, but as of now those are all clear.  Even though I know this is the best and only option, I still feel like I am doing something wrong.  She is not limping and does not show any signs of pain and I think if she did, it would help me feel better about it and like I am doing the right thing for her.  This decision has been very hard for me, and I have been very emotional about it.  Part of it is because we just lost Cloe's brother, Brutus, an 8 1/2 year old boxer, on May 19th.  He had cardiomyopathy and went rather suddenly, even though we knew it was coming some day.  It has been too much too soon.  Cloe has been sad since losing Brutus, and I am afraid this surgery will make her even worse.  I am hoping not.  From reading others' stories I know that I am being "too human" and putting too much emotion into it, but it's hard not to.  I know I need to be strong and positive for Cloe, and I plan to do my best.  I would appreciate any tips to help make the first few days after surgery easier.  I'm glad I found this site.  It's been very helpful already reading other stories.  

[Image Can Not Be Found]  

Livermore, CA

14 June 2015 - 7:07 pm

Welcome to Tripawds, your future posts will not have to wait for approval.

I'm sorry you are dealing with cancer, and so soon after losing your boy.

Have you read through Jerry's Required Reading list?  There are also e-Books you can download that have lots of information on what to expect.

I completely understand what you say about not having pain.  My pug Maggie had a mast cell tumor in her left knee.  She never limped or showed signs of pain, and she was quite a drama queen and always let me know when things were bothering her.  How could amputation be the solution?  It was necessary for us because there was the threat of spread and tumor rupture. At this point Cloe's skin may not heal with another tumor de-bulk.  

Maggie was a very stubborn pug who did not deal well with changes in her life, I was worried how she would adapt. She really took her time!  But she did get used to things and hopped happily through life for almost 4 years.

And if you need some Boxer inspiration check out Roxy's Blog. Rox is a long time mast cell survivor, front amp.

Good luck with surgery, keep us posted.

Karen and the Spirit Pug Girls

Tri-pug Maggie survived a 4.5 year mast cell cancer battle only to be lost to oral melanoma.

1999 to 2010

Maggie's Story                  Amputation and Chemo

15 June 2015 - 11:17 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I will be keeping you in my thoughts! Dropped my boy off for possible amputation today. You are not alone. We can help each other get through this!

Beth

15 June 2015 - 11:35 am

Hello there!

No doubt, this is very tough time after having just lost your other pup. But try to find some comfort in knowing you are making this decision for Cloe with her best interest in mind! 

Here are some steps we took to prepare for Mac coming home just about 2 months ago. First, we have lots of hardwood so we needed to buy lots and lots of carpeted non-skid runners for around the house. These have been tremendously helpful and you can tell that Mac likes them and uses them extensively (he will actually only go into areas of rooms that have the runners!). Second, we bought an inflatable E-Collar from Petco, which essentially looks like a giant travel neck pillow. This was much comfier for Mac than a traditional cone and made us both feel a lot better about restricting him. You said it is her front leg? Mac is a front-legger as well. During our first few nights post-op, Mac was trying to scratch the heck out of his incision site with his back leg. We resolved this by putting a t-shirt on him (tying up excess fabric so he wouldn't trip over it) and even a sock on his back leg.

Many will suggest looking at pictures of post-amp surgical sites so that you can be prepared for when you pick up Cloe and can just focus on her! Remember, REST is key and is very important! We let Mac do too much too soon because he seemed to be ready, but he took a few steps backwards, probably because he was sore from too much activity. Don't be discouraged the first week or two (or three!) of recovery. There are lots of ups and downs - some dogs recovery more quickly than others. The pain medications are a big part of that. We took Mac's Fentanyl patch off a few days after we picked him up and he took a nose dive in his recovery for a couple days. I was SURE he was depressed and hating his new life, but then I was reminded he was probably just recovering the best way he could.

If you want to see some more details of Mac's recovery, I have videos and pictures from the first day we visited him post-op to just last week. He is 11 but having 3 legs does not slow him down! http://teammac......pawds.com/

I know this is a very scary time - we all know how it feels! Don't be afraid to lean on us and update us, ask us any questions you have, and share pictures! We are here for you and Cloe!

Hugs,

Jamie and Mac

We adopted Mac in June 2014 from the GRCGLAR and he is our little baby boy, despite the fact that he is 11.5! Almost a year of bliss turned into complete devastation when he started limping on his front right  leg and it was discovered on April 16, 2015 that he has bone cancer - specifically Osteosarcoma. We were luckily directed to Tripawds by our oncologist, Dr. Avenelle Turner, which changed our lives and guided us through the amputation process.

Read more about Mac's incredible story on his blog: http://teammac.tripawds.com/

Westminster, MD
15 June 2015 - 2:13 pm

Hi and welcome to the best place to be under the circumstances.......there is no better place to be than Tripawds while starting this unwanted journey.

Boxers are such great dogs, and I am so very sorry for your loss of your Brutus. Even when you may be somewhat expecting a loss, the sudden shock of the actual loss can be so overwhelming with grief. So I do understand being so uncertain about surgery for Cloe. I had two Labs, ( one of which was my angel Tripawd Polly ) and my black Lab Maggie, were both diagnosed within a week of each other back in June of 2011 with cancers. Maggie was terminal with hemangiosarcoma and not much time left, and my Polly very fortunately beat this first bout of cancer that she developed, which was mast cell cancer. Both also had to undergo extensive and invasive surgery within a very short period of each other, my Polly twice to remove mast cell cancer.  I definitely feel your emotional pain.

As Sally would say, take a deep breath and dive in......we absolutely do everything we can for our pups, and staying positive is the other best thing to do for them no matter how hard it is. We all know how you are feeling, and the terrified feelings you have, so there is no one better to help you through than us. We have all been there. 

As far as helpful tips, Jamie and Mac gave some great advice, and Karen mentioned the e-books that are of great help. Non skid rugs, rest, managing pain, inflatable collar are the main things mentioned already, the only thing I have to add is raised food and water bowls after surgery, especially for front amps.

Please keep us updated on sweet Cloe, and remember, we are here for any support and help to get you through.

Best wishes, 

Bonnie, Angel Polly, Pearl, and Zuzu

Martinsburg, WV
16 June 2015 - 8:16 am

Welcome to you and Cloe!!  I'm so sorry that you having to deal with a cancer dx but this is a great community that can provide you support and information.  You've received great advice so far so I just wanted to let you know that I'll be keeping Cloe in my thoughts today and I'll pray that her procedure goes well.  Try to get some rest if you can.  When Cloe first comes home she will be very dependent on you and it can get tiring at times.  But it will pass and you'll start to see your sweet Cloe shining through.

Also, I'm so sorry for your loss of Brutus.  The loss of a loved fur kid is very hard.  Many of us here have been where you're at.  Grief is a process and it will take time but it will get easier. 

Sahana and her Angel Leland and Lucian too

Leland

November 17, 2009 - June 30, 2014

May you finally be healthy and running free at the Rainbow Bridge. Until we meet again my sweet boy!

Virginia

16 June 2015 - 8:49 am

Thinking of you today and sending positive energy to all.

You have Brutus watching over Cloe and you!

((((((((((Hugs))))))))))

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

16 June 2015 - 5:01 pm

Please keep us updated on your Cloe! As everyone has already said, we are here for you and this community "gets it" like no one else ever could. 

Jamie gave some awesome tips (she was a godsend to me during our pre- and post-amp process over the past few weeks!) and I would definitely support the one about REST. We were so antsy to see Molly back to her normal self that it made me sick to watch her be (in my eyes) mopey and sad. In reality, she was just groggy, sleepy, and mellow from the pain meds. Totally normal! She is recovering from a major surgery, for crying out loud! We let her tell us how she was feeling, what she needed, if the meds were doing their job, when she wanted to start walking unassisted, etc. and tried to pay really close attention to those kinds of clues. As our vets have been telling us, you know your dog the best and you will have the "parental" instinct about what they are comfortable with and what they need. Trust yourself! Cloe sure does. 🙂

Keep coming back here for advice, stories, and to keep us posted on your progress. It will seem like each day is so long but soon you will be looking back and just so amazed at how much your girl has taught you. Enjoy every moment with her!

Hugs,
Kirby & Molly

PS- I blogged almost every day for the first week: mollymoose.tripawds.com. It was so cathartic for me (both to release the emotion and to read so much encouragement from the rest of the community every day!). Could be a good option for you as well.

16 June 2015 - 8:23 pm

Thanks everyone!  Cloe had her surgery late this afternoon.  Everything went well, and she is expected to come home tomorrow afternoon as long as she has an uneventful night.  I held it together when we left her, and I didn't cry.  Almost, but I didn't.  I'm not sure how I am going to react when I see her for the first time without her leg.  Hoping it's not too much of a shock.  I have seen many pictures here, so I am prepared.  I will be glad to have her back home and start the recovery process.  Here's to moving forward, three legs at a time!!

Karen

Westminster, MD
16 June 2015 - 9:01 pm

Hi Karen, 

So glad everything has gone well so far for your sweet Cloe, and I know how much you are looking forward to getting her back home with you. You are right, seeing them the first time after amp surgery is pretty shocking to say the least, but the best thing to do is to act like there is nothing different. Being positive and really upbeat will make them feel completely relaxed and happy. Our furry companions absolutely pick up on our moods, so stay happy as much as possible. It is definitely a brand new start, and a new "normal" in this beginning of the journey.

Let us know how everything goes tomorrow when you can hopefully bring her home, take some pics or a video.....I so wish I had done that for my own girl, Polly, the day we picked her up from surgery.....she came bounding down the hallway at the clinic on 3 legs and the look of joy, and determination on her face was amazing and fantastic.....I will never forget it.

Keeping you in my thoughts, 

Bonnie, Angel Polly, Pearl, and Zuzu

Virginia

16 June 2015 - 9:04 pm

Alrighty, surgery is over! Try and get some good rest tonight...you may not get much sleep the first night or two. Cloe is nice snd doped up so she's not feeling a thing!

I didn't even look at my beloved Happy Hannah's incision when I went to pick jer up. I just looked in jer druggy happy eues and told her what a good girl she was! I never saw her look at her "missing leg " spot one single time! And I can tell yoi, especially as the fur grows back, you will not even notice she is on three legs!

Keep us posted, okay?

Sending love!

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

Martinsburg, WV
17 June 2015 - 7:40 am

I'm so glad that Cloe came through her surgery with flying colors!!!  I will keep my fingers crossed that she's able to come home at some point today.  She will be able to get more quality rest at home than with other pups barking at the clinic.  Plus nothing beats the love of her family in getting her on the road to recovery!

Sahana and her Angel Leland and Lucian too

Leland

November 17, 2009 - June 30, 2014

May you finally be healthy and running free at the Rainbow Bridge. Until we meet again my sweet boy!

On The Road

17 June 2015 - 8:46 am

Yay she made it! clap

It's OK to be scared but do your best stay strong, she'll look to you for leadership. As others have said just look into her eyes and tell her how AMAZING she is (no doubt you will believe it as soon as you see her!), and smile! She'll feel your love through the dopey pain medication haze and will be so happy to go home.

Let us know how your reunion goes!

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
17 June 2015 - 7:38 pm

Welcome !  glad to know Chloe is doing well after surgery.  You will see that nothing changes from four legs to three, except that: we grow more protective of our pups and develop a very special relation with them during all this ordeal.  This road is not an easy one, for dogs and their humans, but we have all taken it without regrets.  As you may have seen in the community posts, the first week is not easy.  It is major surgery, the prescribed medication is very strong, so you will have hard days ahead.  From the 7ht-8th day onwards things get better, and in three weeks she will be going strong.

Keep us posted on how things are going.

hugs from Daniela & Johnnie

Our awesome Golden Boy was diagnosed for OSA in April 2014 in the proximal humerus, front-leg amp on 05/20/2014. Finished chemo (Carbo6) on 07/10/2014. Ongoing treatment: acupuncture + K-9 Immunity Plus ( 3chews) and home-cooked no-grain diet.   Stopped Apocaps because of liver issues.   Liver issues: controlling altered enzymes with SAM-e and Milk Thistle.  October 17:  started having seizures.  Taking fenobarbital for seizures.  April 18: started prednisone.

18 June 2015 - 6:21 am

So happy to hear that Cloe came through the surgery fine. Prayers for a speedy recovery!

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 220
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1268
Members: 17735
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: