TRIPAWDS: Home to 14644 Members and 1635 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is the place to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.
JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

  • Instant post approval.
  • Private messages to members.
  • Subscribe to favorite topics.
  • Live Chat and much more!

REGISTER   |   LOG IN

Be More DogNEW! Be More Dog – Learning to Live in The Now

Get the new book by the Tripawds founders for life lessons learned from their Chief Fun Officer Jerry G. Dawg! Download the e-book, and find fun Be More Dog apparel and gifts in the Be More Dog Bookstore.

Please consider registering
Guest
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Osteosarcoma, is it true?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Forum Posts: 3
Member Since:
6 October 2019
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1
8 October 2019 - 9:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Greetings Friends,

My sweet 10 yr old Black Lab, Lava was diagnosed with osteosarcoma in her left front leg on Friday October 4th. 

I’m wondering if I should get a second opinion as our primary vet is not an oncologist. He said he is 90% sure it’s osteosarcoma and would be surprised if it wasn’t. 

She had x rays done and vet said there isn’t a noticeable spread in the rest of her body, and waiting to hear back about the blood test to make sure she is otherwise healthy. The blood test I was told will not verify cancer. 

I just want to be really sure it is cancer before I go ahead with amputation! 

Has anyone done a biopsy or something beforehand to know it’s 100% cancer???

Has anyone had their pet misdiagnosed based on just x rays? 

Thank you! 

Bria 

Livermore, CA




Forum Posts: 3623
Member Since:
18 October 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2
8 October 2019 - 9:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hello and welcome, your future posts will not have to wait for approval.

Hi again Bria- we talked on the helpline on Monday.  I’m glad you have posted here.

As we talked about on Monday I would highly recommend a visit with an oncologist so you know all your options. 

I’ll leave it to others with direct experience with OSA to share their experiences- again I shared my thoughts when we talked.

Again- I’m really glad you decided to post!

Karen and the Spirit Pug Girls

Tri-pug Maggie survived a 4.5 year mast cell cancer battle only to be lost to oral melanoma.

1999 to 2010

 

              Maggie's Story                  Amputation and Chemo

Forum Posts: 430
Member Since:
26 January 2017
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3
9 October 2019 - 8:06 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi Bria,

I’m sorry you’re here, but glad you found us.

Lava’s diagnosis is similar to Rocky’s. X-rays initially showed the osteosarcoma. I questioned whether we needed to have a biopsy done, but Rocky’s vet strongly advised getting it. His point was he wanted to know exactly what he was dealing with, on the off chance it was something more easily treatable. And ultimately I decided to have the biopsy done, because I wanted to make sure amputation was necessary.

I’ve been told biopsies aren’t always conclusive. Rocky’s did come back positive for osteosarcoma. And, at least in Rocky’s case, the recovery from the biopsy was actually harder than the recovery from the amputation. But, like his vet, I was at least glad to know for sure what we were dealing with.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you and Lava.

David and Rocky (and Baxter now too!)

Rocky had his right front leg amputated on Valentine's Day 2017 after being diagnosed with osteosarcoma.

He joined the September Saints on September 3, 2017.

He is the toughest, bravest, sweetest and best friend I'll ever know. 

Virginia




Forum Posts: 17974
Member Since:
22 February 2013
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4
9 October 2019 - 10:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Love the name “Lava” for a handsome black Lab.  Can’t  wait to see pictures.  Here’s  a link for adding images .

Glad you were able  to speak with Karen. She is an invaluable  resource for us all.

We kmow it’s really rough hearing the diagnosis  and then planning a path forward.  It’s  good news that his other reports were clear!

My Happy Hannah’s Vet was the one who did her xrays snd, based on years of experience,  recognized  that it was osteo.  As Rocky’s dad said, biopsies  are very often inconclusive and often very painful.  My Vet referred her to an Oncologist  and Radiologist for confirmation.

I don’t  know “statistically ” here how many do biopsies and how many don’t  for osteo.  I do know that the scenario plays out with some conclusive, some not.  Some with very painful recoveries,  some. not.  

In my case, I was confident with just the xrays veing reviewed by the professionals expert in their field.

As far as I can recall in my years on the site, I am not aware of any amputation  that took place that did not need to be done.  In ALL cases, a painful leg had to  be removed to improve quality  of life.  On rare ocassions  rhe actual “diagnosis may have changed, i.e, a different type of cancer may have been identified. In one case it seems that an infection had veen discovered  and amputation would have veen required anyway.  Once the leg is amputated  that is sent off for a pathology report to iden7 rhe type, course of treatment, etc

There are NO right or wrong answers on this!  Some do biopsy, some don’t. . See if your Vet can refer you to an Oncol/Radiologist  and then maybe you can make a decion you are more comfortable  with.  

Stay connected and let us know how we can help support you,mo,at? And remember, Lava isn’t  worried about a thing!😎

Extra hugs,

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

Forum Posts: 23
Member Since:
19 July 2019
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5
9 October 2019 - 10:56 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Just from my own experience, if I could go back I would have opted to amputate and send the leg for pathology vs the 2 biopsies (a fine needle aspiration and a surgical biopsy) we did do that both came back inconclusive as far as exactly what type of cancer he had.

For my pup it just caused more pain and delayed the ultimately needed treatment of amputation. 

That said, I can absolutely understand your hesitation and I know how you feel. My pup is fairly young and was initially diagnosed with a soft tissue injury so the cancer diagnosis was very shocking to us. I felt I needed to know everything to make the best decision possible for him. 

The Rainbow Bridge



Forum Posts: 25858
Member Since:
25 April 2007
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6
9 October 2019 - 11:28 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hello and welcome. So sorry you find yourself here but we hope to make it easier for you and Lava (great name!).

What @shepherdgirl87 says is exactly what most people who have done bone biopsies before hand say: if the leg needed to come off anyways, they would have waited. 

Did your primary do a fine needle aspirate on the tumor? That biopsy is the first one to be done and isn’t nearly as painful as the bone biopsy core sample that requires a surgical procedure. 

Anytime you are dealing with cancer, if at all possible we recommend consulting with a veterinary oncologist specialist. If your vet didn’t recommend one, please let us know where you live (you can PM me if you’d like) and we will help you find one. Primary care vets often diagnose cancer and handle amputations and such, but an oncologist can give you the whole platter of treatments currently available. Even if you go back to your primary vet for surgery and opt out of chemotherapy, you can rest easier knowing you investigated all your treatment options.

Hope this helps!

It's better to hop on three legs than to limp on four.™
Latest Tripawds News
Read my story here.

Support the Tripawds Foundation!

Forum Posts: 3
Member Since:
6 October 2019
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
7
10 October 2019 - 1:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Thank you everyone for your responses!

Shoutout to Karen for taking the time to help me over the phone! Very much appreciated.

Lavas blood test came back heathy, just an elevation in liver values…. vet said it’s normal to see in dogs her age. Any advice on treating her liver holistically? 

Vet gave me prednisone and tramadol at the time of diagnosis for osteosarcoma. However, she is not limping and doesn’t seem to be in pain. I think that is why I’m so hesitant to amputate. I backed off the steroid because I read it suppresses the immune system and that seems contradictory. 

Vet referred me to a specialist who also was “suspicious” of potential osteosarcoma from her X-ray. 

After hearing your responses and research, I think we will wait to do the biopsy after amp. 

So, going forward with amputation on Monday. I need advice to prepare!!!. 🙏🏻😢💔

Bria 



Forum Posts: 1275
Member Since:
27 July 2014
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
8
10 October 2019 - 2:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi Bria,

Sorry to hear your dog needs an amputation. It’s always a shocking treatment especially when our pet does not seem to be in pain. They sure know how to fool us, don’t they? Perhaps Lava’s pain is being managed by the medication given by the vet.

I noticed that you “backed off the steroid”. Please read this link to learn more about prednisone : https://tripawd…..ncer-tips/

Many times vets will prescribed an anti-inflammatory before the surgery. Please check with your vet as to the medication and dosage needed before the surgery on Monday and if you need to stop the medication the night before. If you are opposed to the prednisone then you can ask for another antiinflammatory if needed.

Your vet sounds good being proactive with the pain meds. You could find out about the medication and dosage after the amputation and prepare a schedule for yourself.

Take care,

Kerren and Tripawd Kitty Mona

Here and Now


Forum Posts: 11995
Member Since:
25 April 2007
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
9
10 October 2019 - 2:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

lavalei said
going forward with amputation on Monday. I need advice to prepare!!!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Start here for help finding the many Tripawds resources. Read the FAQs, and bookmark Jerry’s Required Reading List , or download Tripawds e-books for fast answers to common concerns.

Don’t miss the many Tripawds News blog posts about what to expect, and the tips for preparing ome, or the Top 10 Questions to Ask Before Amputation Surgery for Dogs and Cats.

Forum Posts: 349
Member Since:
4 April 2019
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
10
18 October 2019 - 7:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi. So sorry you are going thru this.  Brownie is my 12.5 year old choc lab. He also was diagnosed with OST bone cancer I  front right leg. His vet said they could Do a biopsy but there was a chance they could break the bone, so I decided to just amputate. I did pay to have more test done before surgery. Blood work and such do to him being a senior.

Best wishes for what ever route you decide to take.

Forum Posts: 349
Member Since:
4 April 2019
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
11
18 October 2019 - 7:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I meant left leg.

Forum Posts: 1
Member Since:
21 October 2019
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
12
21 October 2019 - 7:35 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I hope everything went well with the surgery and that your dog is adjusting well!  For future people reading this blog – definitely get a second opinion. Based on the xrays our vet said it was cancer and to get a biopsy. The surgeon (who is great) said it was cancer, and you don’t need a biopsy, we’re that sure. We got a fine needle one anyway, it’s not always conclusive, but it came back as osteosarcoma. Had the amputation done.  They did the “real” post-surgery biopsy and now they think it was an aneurysmal cyst. I will be thrilled if he doesn’t have cancer but now they don’t know what to make of him treatment wise, and I can’t even think about if we could have spared his leg. So yes. Second opinion. 

The Rainbow Bridge



Forum Posts: 25858
Member Since:
25 April 2007
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
13
21 October 2019 - 10:56 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

buddysmom1 said
They did the “real” post-surgery biopsy and now they think it was an aneurysmal cyst.  

  

Wow, that’s just such a shock, I’m sorry you guys are dealing with an inconclusive diagnosis. It’s a tough situation for sure, we all want answers and sometimes when medicine can’t give them it’s frustrating. We’ve only had a handful of members here through the years where the tumor wasn’t cancer, which is of course reason to celebrate, but still, I get it.

Thank you for sharing Buddy’s story and offering your insight, it’s much appreciated. Please feel free to start a new topic elsewhere so we can help you guys, or just celebrate your amazing pup. We would love to learn more.

It's better to hop on three legs than to limp on four.™
Latest Tripawds News
Read my story here.

Support the Tripawds Foundation!

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 597
Currently Online: paws120, hlmtv75
79
Guest(s)
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1050
Members: 10016
Moderators: 2
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 4
Forums: 23
Topics: 15830
Posts: 221771
Administrators: admin, jerry, jim
Moderators: betaman, krun15
Tripawds is brought to you by Tripawds.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG