TRIPAWDS: Home to 23135 Members and 2161 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
On the wings of angels, Shy winter of 1997-June 20th, 2011.
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
krun15
20 June 2011 - 9:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Elizabeth,

I am sorry you had to part with Shy- but you did the right, compassionate thing today.  It will hurt for awhile- the price we pay for loving so much.

I want to tell her, "goodnight my pretty girl, mom loves you always", but it is an empty space I am talking to.  I miss her so. 

You should tell her goodnight- she is not that far away, she will hear you.

Maybe you can leave some of her things out... I only put away the bad stuff when I came home without Maggie.  The meds and syringes and fluids.  I left her beds and bowl out until it seemed right to put them away.  A year later I still have Mag's blanket on my bed, her collar and leash still hang in the closet. I know it seems impossible to you right now- but those things bring smiles to me now.  You will get there eventually- but you have to allow yourself time to grieve.  I think Beth said once "there is no way but through".

Karen

western Washington
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
20 June 2011 - 9:18 pm

I know what you mean, Karen.

We got rid of the meds, etc after our Kona Kai died, kept the good stuff.

Her ashes are in our livingroom, proudly and prominently placed, collar and her lion toy (with three legs...she removed one herself...go figure, right?)  atop the wooden box. Her toys are played with by her adopted brother and sister pups, her photos are around us...geez, even a big one as my desktop pic with her brother and sister.

It does help.

Sometimes, yes, it hurts. but it's worth it to see her, you know?

Kona turned 9yrs on April 16, 2010.
Kona was diagnosed Memorial Weekend 2010 with osteosarcoma.
Right rear leg amputated on June 4th. First chemo June 18th 2010
Second chemo July 9th, 2010      Third and final (yea !!!) chemo July 30th, 2010
ONE TOUGH GIRL this Australian Cattledog !

***Kona's journey/fight ended late in the evening of December 22, 2010***

We Love you so much Kona….always   

Bella 9yrs, albino lab/aussie shep/pit?(abandoned in mts as a puppy) deaf & blind (from birth) in one eye limited vision in other.(laid back, ok lazy 73 lbs)

Cotton, 5yrs, albino hound/terrier of somesort/???(abandoned in mts as a puppy) deaf & blind in one eye(from birth), excellent vision in seeing eye. (ball addict…destroyer of Kong balls…yes,etc), high energy 55lbs knots of muscle)

Kona Kai's pup brother and sister as well as her buddy and playmate cat, Shaymous 12yrs (like Seamus), miss her terribly.

Las Vegas, Nevada
20 June 2011 - 9:49 pm

Oh Elizabeth,

We cry with you tonight. 

Letting go when it's the right thing to do is one of the hardest things we have to do in life.  It hurts like nothing that can be explained.  So, just know we understand and are here for you.

Hugs to one of the best dog moms ever  -  

Her Retired AvatarComet - 1999 to 2011

She departed us unexpectedly  January 23, 2011 at the age of 12 1/2.

She was born with a deformed front leg and a tripawd all of her life.

Orange County, CA
20 June 2011 - 9:58 pm

I'm so sorry about your Shy.  She was a beautiful girl, and I know she had a grand life.  Our thoughts are with you.

WYO
20 June 2011 - 11:41 pm

So sorry to hear your sad news!

I know it has been such a struggle for all of you and now your heart is still aching!

Go ahead and tell her good night and I love you, she will hear you!

Heart to heart...never far apart!

21 June 2011 - 6:03 am

Elizabeth, so sorry to hear the news about Shy. I hope you find comfort in knowing you did all you could for her and gave her such a great life. Remember, nobody can ever take away the memories. My thoughts are with you, Spirit Gus and Dan

My buddy Gus had a left front amputation on April 7, 2010 and lived a great life until July 26,2010

Scottsburg, IN
21 June 2011 - 6:29 am

Elizabeth, guilt is the last thing you should be feeling.  You didn't give up on Shy, you said yourself Shy told you what she wanted.  There are so many emotions that you are going to be feeling, and most of them are even healthy at this point (though I know they don't feel that way), but guilt doesn't belong.  You wanted more than anything for Shy to find Jazz, right?  Sounds like she did.  People have different opinions on that kind of stuff, but you saw them.  They were checking on you.  Jazz brought her back so you would know they are together and fine.  Now it's time for you to go through the process of grief, but do it knowing your Shy is with her mom, she's aware, and together they will watch over you. 

Leslie

Golden Girls
21 June 2011 - 9:20 am

I am so sorry to read the news about Shy. What a beautiful pup! Sending many golden hugs!

Edmonton, Alberta
21 June 2011 - 9:26 am

Elizabeth, I am so sorry for your loss.

Damn, it's hard to say goodbye. I feel and know your anguish.

Catie loved sunshiney days too.

Know that I'm thinking of you; give big boy Sammy a hug from me and a paw shake from Riley.

Hugs to you as well.

Carmen

Catie -

Birthday – November 4 2003

Amputation – January 13 2010

Crossed the Bridge – June 2 2011

Catie Caitlin 

Greater Western Washington area
21 June 2011 - 10:00 am

I lost my internet this morning, since I have to come up by work anyway I just stopped through to use the computer.  I just want to talk about regrets.  If I could urge anyone who has time beforehand to make a list of what you want to say to your friend as they go, I would say write that speech.  It sounds strange, or you think you know you will just speak from the heart, but all I could say was I was sorry.  I wanted to tell her what a wonderful girl she is, what a good puppy.  But I just cried and told her to find Jazz, that I was sorry. 

Regrets.  I forgot one of Shy's favorite things is to be brushed.  She makes happy little groaning noises when that happens.  I forgot to brush her yesterday, now I will never get another chance.  Regrets, regrets, I am full of them today.  I am unable to function today.  I am just hollow.

Elizabeth

Diagnosed with osteosarcoma in the right front leg 8/23/10,

leg fractured 8/27/10,

leg amputated 8/30/10

http://sammyand.....pawds.com/

I couldn't begin to say how special Sammy is to us.  Living and laughing with and loving this wonderful boy is priceless.

On The Road

21 June 2011 - 10:06 am

We connect with our animals on a level much deeper than language. Shy surely knew your intention was to make her last day beautiful and memorable, and she would never want your to regret one moment. Peace.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

On The Road

21 June 2011 - 11:41 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Ohhhh Elizabeth, I think your advice is GREAT and something that has never been suggested here, so thank you.

BUT…I know it's hard not to replay everything in your mind right now, but please understand that you did everything right. Really! Shy knows that and I hope someday you can feel the same way. Please do not regret, or feel badly about what happened, you did the most absolute honorable thing and in the best way you knew how.

You did not let her suffer, or force her to live with a poor quality of life, out of your own fears about saying goodbye. Do you know how many people drag out that decision as long as possible until their dogs are barely alive? Too many!

Shy earned her wings with dignity and grace, no animal could ask for more. You did everything SO right!

If I could give you an award today I would so you'll just have to accept this virtual star superstar

We commend for your bravery and courage. You are a model for the right way we humans need to say goodbye to our animals and an example for all of us. Thank you.

I know it's hard to see that right now but it's the truth.

We all love you here Elizabeth. You are one of the most spiritual, bravest souls we know. {{{{{hugs}}}}}}

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

knoxville, tn
21 June 2011 - 11:45 am

elizabeth, when you love with all your heart, there is no room for regret.  what you and shy shared will never end.  try, with time, to embrace the memories and please know that you could never let your pups down.  you are a special person who is on this earth to be there for them - they know it and we know it.  hugs.

charon & gayle

Life is good, so very, very good!!! Gayle enjoyed each and every moment of each and every wonderful day (naps included).  She left this world December 12, 2011 – off on a new adventure.

Love Never Ends

http://etgayle

21 June 2011 - 11:52 am

Elizabeth,

I am so sorry for your loss of Shy.  I know it was a difficult decision for you to make and I hope that she passed peacefully.  It is hard when they are still doing well physically but then they deteriorate mentally.  Just remember that you took great care of her and tried everything possible to help her.  Try and focus on the good times and the pain of losing her will eventually lessen.

I am glad that I was able to meet her!  I'll bet that she was crazy when she was younger.

Pam

Las Vegas, Nevada
21 June 2011 - 12:21 pm

but all I could say was I was sorry.  I wanted to tell her what a wonderful girl she is, what a good puppy.  But I just cried and told her to find Jazz, that I was sorry.

Oh Elizabeth - my heart aches so badly for you. 

The one thing we have with our dogs is a mental connection and words do not need to be spoken.  Shy knew without a doubt how you felt.  Words didn't need to spoken.  She knew.

The memory of the last moments seem to be overwhelming for the first few days or weeks.  Many of us play it over and over in our heads.  But honestly, there comes a moment when that memory fades because we start remembering the love and enjoyment we had. 

Your heart is just so broken now.  Our hearts are broken for you.  But please don't have regrets about the last moments and what you feel you didn't say.  You had a lifetime of what you did get to say and that is what Shy remembered.    

Her Retired AvatarComet - 1999 to 2011

She departed us unexpectedly  January 23, 2011 at the age of 12 1/2.

She was born with a deformed front leg and a tripawd all of her life.

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: jerry, krun15, Susan_7
Guest(s) 187
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17886
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: