TRIPAWDS: Home to 23102 Members and 2159 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
So....Frankie ate 16 (100 mg. each) of Merry Myrtle's Rimadyl. In ER tonight & prob. tomorrow night
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Virginia

sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
30 October 2015 - 9:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Screenshot_2015-10-30-23-21-10_zpspcc0eini.jpgImage Enlarger

Screenshot_2015-10-30-23-21-23_zpsy19bkave.jpgImage Enlarger

Screenshot_2015-10-30-23-21-35_zpswyvx35qs.jpgImage Enlarger

Screenshot_2015-10-30-23-21-45_zpsohnoctc4.jpgImage Enlarger

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

Westminster, MD
30 October 2015 - 10:15 pm

Ok Sally, time to take your own advice and take a deep breath..... You know I am not a vet, but I have to do what I can to send my love and support to you, I DO know how scary this is. My Maggie once got into a bottle of Tylenol years ago that was on my tall dresser, how she got them we STILL have no idea, and just recently, Zuzu decided to get into a bag of her pre-prepared heart medications in pill pockets..... Maggie had to spend the night at the E.R. as well with the charcoal treatment and forced vomiting etc.... Tylenol is much more dangerous I think for dogs than Rimadyl is, but Frankie sure helped himself, didn't he. Zuzu luckily didn't consume enough to hurt her so I was thankful for that. She is also a counter surfer which we still cannot break her of.

I would think if Frankie was able to vomit some of the Rimadyl up, that is all the better for him. I wish I could help out some other way, but just know we all are here for you and always will be...... I will be saying some prayers for Frankie and you tonight, and sending hugs to you. I know you will keep us updated as much as possible. <3

Keeping you and him in my constant thoughts,
And so much Love being sent your way,
Bonnie, Angel Polly, and girls

P.S. I used Denosyl for Polly during her Immune-mediated thrombocytopenia diagnosis, when the high amount of steroids shot her liver values to kingdom-come...... Thankfully, she never developed liver damage from all that. There is also a similar medication called Denimarin, and a supplement by Vetri-Science, called Vetri-Liver, all great products.

Virginia

30 October 2015 - 10:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Thank you Bonnie! Thank you!

So glad Zuzu is doing okay. There really ought to be a ban on making meds that could be toxic taste good.

And thanks for the recommendations for the liver support and immu e support. Denimarian is the one I was trying to think of in my llst.

Thanks for being you!! Your caring and loving support mean the world to me. Veteran or newbie, we all need each other through this journey called life!

Love to you my friend

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

30 October 2015 - 11:24 pm

The main issue is actually GI ulceration and kidney failure with liver failure a remote possibility.  I am surprised the apomorphine in the eye did not cause vomiting but it sounds like the second vet gave it IV which is more effective.

Iv fluids will flush out the kidneys and Pepcid and Carafate should help the stomach.  Since you got to the vet the same day he should be fine but a kidney test will need to be checked in 1-2 days and then again in 1-2 weeks.

Pam

31 October 2015 - 12:08 am

Sally, what a terrible night for you. I hope Pam's response gave you some comfort.

That darn Frankie... won't eat a Puppy Latte but will eat meds! What a hound!

You caught this quick Sally. That Frankie may have a stomach made of steel since he didn't vomit from the hydrogen peroxide. I hope he recovers quickly with no lasting damage. I'm sure some howls from him will be music to your ears.

Kerren

Virginia
31 October 2015 - 6:29 am

Oh my goodness Frankie!! I have no experience with this Sally but I just wanted to send you lots of positive vibes and hugs this morning. This isn't anything you did so don't beat yourself up about it. Who would have ever thought Frankie would eat medicine off the counter, he won't even touch a puppy latte! I'm glad they were able to get some of the Rimadyl out of his stomach. Please keep us updated.

HUGS

Mom to Tripawd Angels Jake (2001-2014) and Rosco (2012-2015) and Tripawd Tanner. “Whatever happens tomorrow, we had today; and I'll always remember it”  

Los Angeles, CA
31 October 2015 - 7:47 am

Oh my dear Sallly.... I hope Pam's words comfort you ...

I am not a vet but lord knows Shelby ate her fair share of things that could have been very, very, very bad... this was NOT your fault. Please don't beat yourself up. You have had a real go of it lately with those two kids! i am sooooooo sorry..... I'm going to stalk this post for updates but keep us posted and please take care of you! We all love you and send you healthy healing drama free vibes!!!!

Shelby Lynne; Jack Russell/Shiba Inu mix. Proud member of the April Angels of 2014.

October 15, 2000 to April 8, 2014

Our story: Broke rear leg in June 2013 - non-conclusive results for cancer so leg was plated and pinned. Enlarged spleen in September 2013 and had it removed and was diagnosed with Hemangiosarcoma and started chemotherapy. Became a Tripawd January 8th, 2014 and definitive Hemangiosarcoma diagnosis. Three major surgeries in 7 months and Shelby took them all like a champ only to lose her battle to cancer in her brain. We had 8 amazing extra months together and no regrets. #shelbystrong #loveofmylife

Schofield, WI
31 October 2015 - 8:12 am

Oh Sally I'm so sorry!  But you caught it quickly and now he's where he needs to be to get better.  Many healing vibes coming Frankie's way for a fast recovery and love and hugs to all three of you!  Frankie next year you wait for Mom to take you trick or treating no helping yourself!!!  Please keep us posted on Frankie's progress we'll be waiting. 

Linda & Max

Westminster, MD
31 October 2015 - 8:24 am

Good morning Sally,

I clicked in here to check up on you and Frankie, and my Polly's banner appeared after not seeing her for quite awhile, so I know she is helping to look out for Frankie from the Bridge..... 🙂 <3

I am much more relieved to read Dr. Pam's post to you, it hopefully will put your stress level and worry to ease a bit. And I did forget to say in my post last night that please don't feel guilty about what happened, stuff just happens beyond our control sometimes, and I know we beat ourselves up over these kinds of things. The most important thing is you found out quickly, and got him help quickly. You've been through worse things, so this will be a bit easier to handle I believe.

Let us know how Frankie is doing today when you get the chance, I know we are all continuing to keep him and you in our thoughts.

{{{Hugs}}} and Much Love smiley

Michigan
31 October 2015 - 9:25 am

Oh Sally, I'm so sorry you're going through this!!

But yes, I can also relate!

When Cassie was a puppy we weren't able to crate her - she was horrible!  lol pooped every time, made a horrible mess, but she was mostly house trained so the vet suggested just not crating her.  So one morning my husband left for work like usual and I stopped for groceries on my way home from work.  The dogs were home for maybe an hour before I got there.  One good thing is that whatever Cassie would chew - usually one of my knick knacks - she would bring into the living room, so I would see it as soon as I walked in the door.  Well that morning I walked in and I saw my husband's weekly pill-minder on the floor!  It was only Tuesday and Tuesday through Friday were all opened.  He's on a high dose of a cardiac medication, a blood pressure pill plus a vitamin.  I found the vitamins, apparently they tasted horrible, and a couple of the other pills, but not many.  So I called the vet while I was running the groceries into the house, throwing the cold stuff into the fridge, and I had to lock Taz up in the bedroom so I could run Cassie to the vet.  She was maybe 5 or 6 months old at the time.  They called the poison control number who, of course, kept saying they didn't know about the cardiac medication with dogs.  Well, what do you want me to do? That's what she ate!  ugh  They did the morphine drops in here eye, too, but that didn't do anything either, but the charcoal did way-confused  They kept her for the day and gave her fluids and thankfully she was fine.  But I worried about damage to her heart for months!

Keep us updated!

Donna

Donna, Glenn & Murphy 

Murphy had his right front leg amputated due to histiocytic sarcoma at 7 years old. He survived 4 years, 2 months & 1 week, only to be taken by hemangiosarcoma at 11 1/2 years 6/12/17  
Read about Murphy's Life on Three Legs

Donna.png

Virginia

31 October 2015 - 9:28 am

BONNIE! KERREN!! ELIXABETH!! ALISON!! THANK OU!!

Yeah, won't eat a Puppy Latte but loving some Rimadyl Latte! And good point...he clearly does have a cast iron stomach which should work in his favor!

Needless to say I checked on him frequently during the night. Knocking on wood, all vital signs are good...he's peeing...he eats about 20 minutes AFTER they leave it. That's because he's waiting for something better!! Haven't heard the results of any vlood work yet.

He is staying again tonight and staying on fluids. I jave to work today and tomorrow so at least I won't be worrying as much about his well being. I'll go see him in a little bit. They let me sit with him last night before I left and it seemed to have a relaxing effect (yeah, on both of us!). I'll take him some nice organic free range chicken!

I heard him practicing his vocalizations in tne background! The Tech said he's been "talking a lot" to them! YAY FRANKIE!!

DR. PAM! For you to stay on this site and help us is such a generous act of kindness and we all appreciate it beyond words! To share your knowledge and your ability to offer reassurance is invaluable!! Tazzie really did a perfect job in picking you! Give big Julian a smooch for me!

Thank you again EVERYONE!! The loving energy and positive vibes you send make a difference! KNOW THAT TO BE TRUE!!

Okay...gotta go give Myrtle her Rimadyl! Oh! Wait! That's right! I don't have any!!!

Virginia

31 October 2015 - 9:31 am

Oh Donna! WOW! Geez...cardiac pills...that's kne for the books! So glad Cassie did okay...and your hubby too!! Hugs to all!

Idaho
31 October 2015 - 10:03 am

Wow, Sally! You really didn't need this, did you? Thank goodness you found Frankie right away and got him in. It sounds like the timeframe is working out, even though it was longer than you wanted it to be. It always seems much longer while it is happening, too. Sure hope that he is doing better this morning (or I guess afternoon where you are).

Shortly after we got Ollie, he got into one of those pill minders, too. Garry was on a blood thinner at the time, and we weren't sure exactly whether Ollie got one of those along with the glucosamine. Fortunately all of the other pills were accounted for right away. We found the Eliquis in the rug after the dosing with peroxide. Frankie must have a way more cast iron tummy than Ollie does. It only took about five minutes before he started puking his guts out. He had eaten supper shortly before he invaded the bathroom for the pills. Since I have been trying for almost 40 years to get Garry to put his things away, I figured it was up to him to sort through the puke to see if there were any pills in there. It could be that Ollie will be having more success at training his Dad than I have.

Kathi and the .turbotail April Angel...and the Labradork

Murphy is a five year old Lab/Chessie cross. He was hit by a car on 10/29/12 and became a Tripawd on 11/24/12. On 2/5/13, he had a total hip replacement on his remaining back leg. He has absolutely no idea that he has only three legs!

UPDATE: Murphy lived his life to the fullest, right up until an aggressive bone lesion took him across the Rainbow Bridge on April 9, 2015 and he gained his membership in the April Angels. Run free, my love. You deserve it!

31 October 2015 - 10:43 am

Thank Goodness you found him as soon as you did.  I will be checking in with you in a few minutes.  Thank you Dr Pam for giving such great advice and staying on the site. 

I don't know how you break counter surfing thank goodness snickers hasn't done that yet.  *knocking on wood. 

Sounds like we all have experiences with things our dogs have done Sally don't forget Snickers experience with the battery.  So do not blame yourself you tried to keep it back.  Maybe get a plastic shelf that you can put the pills on or in on the counter?? 

xoxoxo

Michelle & Angel Sassy

sassymichelle-sm.jpg

Sassy is a proud member of the Winter Warriors. Live long, & strong Winter Warriors.
sassysugarbear.tripawds.com
07/26/2006 - Sassy earned her wings 08/20/2013

05/04/2006 -  Bosch, Sassy's pal, earned his wings 03/29/19  fought cancer for 4 months.

"You aren't doing it TO her, you are doing it FOR her. Give her a chance at life."

31 October 2015 - 11:03 am

Sally, just now reading this thread...what an awful scare!   🙁  Please give that bad boy, Frankie, a hug from me when you visit him... and sending you lots of love and support!!

Trini and Sketch

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 173
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17855
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3