In our continuing month-long celebration of Tripawd Tuesday stories sent to us this year, here’s adorable mini Schnauzer Simon from Florida showing off his stuff, and proving that amputation recovery doesn’t have to be scary. His mama Diane tells more.
How old is your Tripawd?
When and Why did your Tripawd lose a leg?
- 3/21/23, malignant melanoma of front right leg
How did your Tripawd adapt to life on three?
What are your Tripawd’s favorite things to do?
- Play stick, squirrels-in-a-log, chase cheerios, and balance on the wobble pad to get treats.
Was there any special gear that helped your Tripawd?
- Homemade sling during first 2 weeks recovery. Ruffwear harness. Surgical-sleeve instead of cone of shame and to protect incision under harness.
If you went through amputation surgery recovery with your animal, what did you think would happen after surgery? Did your worst fears happen? How did you cope?
- Initially seemed worst fears were happening – Simon seemed disoriented, in pain, and I thought would not forgive us for what we had done. Surviving the first 2-3 weeks is the rough patch. Just learning to lay down was a challenge. Tripawds forums helped a lot!
What is the biggest lesson you learned from your Tripawd?
- I got this! 🐾 Everything is temporary.
What is your best advice to someone who is about to go through amputation with their pet, or someone who is thinking of adopting a Tripawd?
- Do your research and manage expectations. The first two weeks will be hell (not every minute but some minutes every day) so find support in addition to your vets, like Tripawds. Understand the value of but also the disadvantages of major pain meds. Find a veterinary physical therapist and if you can’t afford it apply for assistance from Tripawds.
See More Tripawd Tuesday Stories, and contact us to share your own too!
Send Your Tripawd Tuesday Love Story!
Did you enjoy today’s story about Tripawd Hero Simon? Want to share your own hero with the community?
Please share your Tripawd Tuesday love story, too! By doing it, you’ll also help pet parents seeking hope and inspiration during tough times. Follow the links to send it to us.
Be a Community Ambassador
Request a Tripawds Community Ambassador Kit. Get everything you need for you and your three-legged dog or cat to show the world that Tripawds Rule.
Your participation helps us get the word out about our mission. Chip in a bit extra to help keep your community online! Thank you!