Join The Discussion
Learn about life on three legs in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free to take advantage of member benefits:
- Instant post approval.
- Private messages to members.
- Subscribe to favorite topics.
- Join the Live Chat and more!
Best Support Harnesses
Visit the Gear Shop for the best harnesses and helpful products for Tripawds!
A A A
26 February 2018
My rescued lab Ben had rt front amputation ( histiocystic sarcoma) on February 27 2018. Since then we had 6 radiation treatments( they found 1 lump close to surgical site), 3 CCNU treatment( couldn’t do more because liver toxicity), now switched to another chemo . Need 2 more chemo to finish course of 6 treatment.
We did Xray– clear, US of spleen and liver– clear. Just wondering what next step? Of course, i will talk to specialist next time i see him.But from yours experience what i need to expect.
21 May 2016
Hi Oksana and Ben 🌸🐾
I am sorry I cannot give you any input as my baby had osteosarcoma, I have no experience with histiocystic sarcoma.
But I still want to welcome you and Ben into our family and sending lots of pawsitive energy your way.
Others will share their experience with you, just stay tuned.
Sending you hugs and cuddles 😘🐮💫✨🌟🌹
Eurydice 77kg/170lb Great Dane limping end of April 2016, amputation (right front leg/osteosarcoma) 4 May 2016 6 courses of carboplatin followed by metronomic therapy, lung mets found 30 Nov 2016. 3 courses of doxorubicin, PET scan 26 Jan 2017 showed more mets so stopped chemo. Holistic route April 2017. Lung X-ray 5 May 2017 showed several tennis ball size mets, started cortisone and diuretics. Miss Cow earned her XXL silver wings 12 June 2017, 13 months and 1 week after amputation and 6 1/2 months after lung mets, she was the goofiest dawg ever and is now happily flying from cloud to cloud woof woofing away :-)
25 April 2007
We’ve had quite a few members here whose doggies had histiocytic sarcoma. Here are some search results that might explain the treatments they pursued. You can also feel free to private message these members through our Forums if you have specific questions.
2 April 2013
Hi Oksana ~
Our Murphy was one of the long-term survivors of histiocytic sarcoma. He was 7 when he had his amputation and the lymph node they removed was also positive. He had 6 doses of CCNU and took denamarin at the same time to protect his liver. After he finished his treatments the oncologist found a lump on his other shoulder, but after several sets of x-rays, it never changed. Our follow-up initially consisted of x-rays. So I think 3 months, a couple of times, then 6 months … then I thought, well, he’s doing well, and it takes up a whole day, costs a lot and really doesn’t change anything at this point, so we stopped. At around 3 years after he finished treatment we did a chest x-ray at our local vet (it was cheaper & didn’t take the whole day like Michigan State lol) … I just wanted to see where we were since it had been 2 years since his last set. I almost cried when I looked at them and they were clear – I totally expected to see some little white dots! Murphy celebrated his 11th birthday and his 4 year Ampuversary, which we never expected when we started out. However, we did lose him a little after that to a hemangiosarcoma. He never had any metastasis from the histiocytic.
26 February 2018
Thank you so much for your response. It gives me some hope to know what to deal with later. Ben is much older then Murphy — we found it about cancer when he was approximately 10.5 y/o (he rescued).We did 3 CCNU 3 weeks a part and denamarin every morning, but his liver enzymes after 3rd treatment were so high, we need to stop. Im still doing denamarin every morning.
Can you tell me did you ever travel , take vacations with him? We postponed all our summer plans until all 6 chemo treatments finished.
2 April 2013
Oh my gosh! It was so scary to try to plan anything!!! We actually took a vacation to the Dominican Republic just 3 weeks after his amputation because it was already planned. Luckily my son was living at home at the time and he was able to take care of Murphy. Every Spring we had the same issue as far as worry, but at the same time we couldn’t just never leave the house, either. So yes, we left on vacations and had my son stay here to take care of him while we were gone. We made sure to keep in touch a lot. We’ve never really travelled with our dogs, but we did take Murphy to Chicago with us for a PuppyUp walk It was 3 1/2 years after his amputation when we went. He had a great time staying in a hotel for the first time! That was the first time we met other Tripawd parents, and it was wonderful! You should have seen his face – people would knock on our door and when we opened it, they would say “Hi Murphy!!, then “hi, I’m ….” I have some pictures in our blog … http://murphyh……road-trip/
I do think that it’s a good idea to wait, though, until Ben’s chemo is finished before you travel with him. He’s immunocompromised right now, and much more susceptible to any illness from other animals. I did have Murphy get a canine flu vaccine before we travelled to Chicago, even though it had been awhile since he had had chemo. I know that canine flu is prevalent there (it’s not here in Michigan), so I wanted to make sure he was protected. I had a little bit of a hard time finding it though lol. I would avoid dog parks and other places of exposure, too.
Most Users Ever Online: 597
Currently Browsing this Page:
Devices Used: Desktop (42), Phone (2)
Guest Posters: 1005