TRIPAWDS: Home to 23142 Members and 2162 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Soft tissue Sarcoma ~ Amp 8/16/12 ~ What now?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic

sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
18 August 2012 - 12:30 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi all!  

I've been lurking on the site for the last 2 weeks as we were trying to make a treatment decision.  This site, the info, the ebook... incredible resources.  

My 10 yr old shep mix was diagnosed with a Soft Tissue Sarcoma on the hock of his left hind leg and we opted for amputation.  Surgery was 8/16/12 and he is home and doing well all things considering.   The vet sent the tumor off to the lab to be graded (?) and well... I'm hoping for a more accurate idea of what type/kind/whatever cancer we've got happening.

So question.. I've searched the site for other STS experiences and I'm not seeing that many?  Is that because STS is a "family" of various types of cancers and once I get the results on the tumor I will know more?  I'm also wondering what if any additional treatment is going to be required... ect.  

I'd appreciate any input on where to go from here, suggestions, things I should ask about... in regards to the sarcoma. 

Thanks!

~ Carrie

On The Road

18 August 2012 - 6:02 am

Hi Carrie, thanks for joining us here, we're so glad you found Tripawds to be helpful. And it's wonderful that Charlie is doing well. He's a handsome pup!

Yes, STS is the blanket term for a variety of tumors, and a lot of Tripawds have lost their leg because of them. I'm thinking that when you searched for "soft tissue sarcoma" you probably didn't use the advanced search feature. I used it and searched for "exact phrase" and these are the search results I've found for Tripawds with soft tissue sarcomas. As you can see, there are a lot of results that come back. One interesting bit I found from Tazziedog, our favorite vet here at Tripawds, was this:

It would be very rare for soft tissue sarcoma to come back in another leg.  We do see other tumors that arise from ligaments or other structures in the joint. These would include nerve sheath tumors or hemangiopericytomas.  Many of these are either benign or slow-growing so surgery and biopsy is the smartest thing to do.  

I hope you get an accurate result back from the lab too. A few pups here weren't able to, which can be frustrating, but at least the pain from the leg tumor was gone and their folks had a general idea of what they were dealing with. What I would want to know from my vet is, what are the chances of it coming back and in what location, and what type of post-surgery treatment option would you recommend? If chemo is recommended, what type and how many sessions? And of course, what are the associated costs? And if I don't do chemo, what are the statistical odds of survival? 

Whatever decisions you make that come next, always remember that there are no right or wrong ones. As long as you make your decisions based on love, and Charlie's quality of life, that's all that matters. 

Paws crossed for a speedy recovery! Keep us posted on what you find out.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

krun15
18 August 2012 - 11:15 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Welcome to Tripawds, glad you have made an appearance after lurking!

My little pug Maggie was also a left rear amp- but her cancer was mast cell.

As far as questions for the vet- the way I approach it is that I want to know all my options from doing nothing and what might happen, to doing everything and what might happen. Then I decide what is the best course of action for my pup.

Keep us posted on how Charlie is doing, and what you find out from the path report.

Karen and the pugapalooza

18 August 2012 - 11:50 am

Thank you for the quick replies!

I will check out the results that you found for me... thank you for that. blush  

In your heart, where I belong.
18 August 2012 - 4:59 pm

Hi Carrie,

I looked at the links Jerry sent you and found ours. It said "Grade 2 soft tissue sarcoma, as expected, with clear lymph nodes. So no chemo, no nothing except advised chest films quarterly for the first year, just to be safe."

We decided not to even do the x-rays. I just wanted to go forward without this hanging over us, so we did. We have acted like Dakota will live as long as he would have without the cancer. Will he? I don't know, but I'm not going to dwell on it. He doesn't!

Dakota is 10 1/2, lost his left front leg 18 months ago, sleeps where he wants when he wants, plays with his roommate, still hates car rides, loves turkey jerky and has some arthritis. So he's pretty typical for a dog his age, just without two front legs. Your guy should be just as typical in a couple of months. That's what you want!

Shari

From abandoned puppy to Tripawd Warrior Dude, Dakota became one of the 2011 February Furballs due to STS. Our incredibly sweet friend lived with grace and dignity till he impulsively raced over the Bridge on 12-15-12.

Dakota's thoughtful and erudite blog is at http://shari.tr.....pawds.com/

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 177
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17894
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3