TRIPAWDS: Home to 22974 Members and 2152 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
New Here - Osteosarcoma, 2 wks post op, chemo for 113 lb Rottweiler
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
9 February 2009 - 11:39 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi Everyone,

My name is Katie.  I stumbled on this site while doing research for my dog Zeke's Osteosarcoma.  He had his leg amputated a little over two weeks ago after our vet noticed what appeared to be bone cancer on his x-rays.  I've found a lot of useful information here and think it's great that you all developed such a wonderful support system for owners and their three legged "kids."  Laugh

Zeke's adapting fairly well to life minus a leg and seems to still have some tenderness in his remaining front leg.  I'm thinking that's pretty common for dogs his size(he's a rottie weighing in at around 113 lbs.).  He has his first round of chemo today and we're hoping that all goes smoothly.  The doctor already warned us there's a chance of cardiotoxicity with the type of chemo they're using.

My husband and I have been wanting to start him on supplements, flaxseed or fish oil, cottage cheese, herbs, etc. but I wasn't sure when I should start. I've read some people start while their dog was going through chemo and others wait until after.  Which would be better?  Does it matter either way? 

Thanks!

Katie 

On The Road

9 February 2009 - 1:39 pm

KatieO said:

I've found a lot of useful information here and think it's great that you all developed such a wonderful support system...

Thank for koining the discussion Katie! You comments mean a lot to us since that is exactly why we set up these forums.

Your question about when to chnage diet/supplements in relation to chemo treatment is a good one for the Ask A Vet forum, or perhaps we'll hear from TazzieDog here ... her mom is Dr. Pam from Puyallup, WA.

We didn't do IV chemotherapy with Jerry, so I'd hate to give you bad info. But we did just post his complete cancer care diet plan to give you an idea about what supplements he took.

Thanks again, we look forward to hearing more about Zeke's recovery.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

9 February 2009 - 2:47 pm

Thanks!  I will post in the Ask A Vet section also.  There's a lot of information to soak up out there and I know everyone approaches treatment differently.  I'll also take a look at Jerry's diet plan and regimen as well.  Smile

9 February 2009 - 7:17 pm

Hi Katie and Zeke - welcome to the tripawd family. We hope that Zeke's chemo treatment is uneventful...Zeus was given 4 doses of carboplatin once every 3 weeks and he came through with flying colors. He didn't have any reactions...except a slight infection which was easily treated with antibiotics and not serious enough to prevent further treatment. Zeus also has other issues which forces him on a strict diet and so I'm not able to put him on a cancer diet...we do, however, at the instruction of our oncologist, give him 6000 mg of fish oil every day.

Keep us posted on how things are going!

Love,

Heather and Zeus

Heather and Spirit Zeus - Our life changing journey…from the earth to the heavens…one day at a time…always together

Northern CA
9 February 2009 - 10:19 pm

Welcome Katie and Zeke- you have found a wonderful place.  Wrigley had her left front leg amputated 7 weeks ago. She also has osteosarcoma. She has had one round of Carboplatin and one round of Doxorubicin. With the Carboplatin she had no side effects, but with the Doxorubicin she did have some mild diarhea. She had follow up bloodwork one week after each chemo treatment and both times came back normal. She is scheduled for 4 more treatments alternating the 2 drugs every 3 weeks.

We switched Wrigley's diet from Innova adult dog food to the Innova Evo dog food after we found out she had cancer. She didn't really have any problems with the diet change. She now gets the EVO red meat kibble with some wet EVO turkey and chicken mixed in- just a little bit of the wet. Before the surgery she was taking the Springtime Inc supplements Fresh Factors and Joint health. Her oncologist had me stop the Joint health during chemo because it had an ingredient that she was concerned would interfer with the chemo. I do think there is some concern with supplements and chemo, so we are not doing anything like the K9 right now until we finish chemo per her oncologist.

We wish you all the best in your recovery. Please keep us posted. 

Seanne and Wrigley

Seanne and Angel Wrigley

My heart lives at Rainbow Bridge
9 February 2009 - 10:23 pm

Best of luck on the chemo.  Trouble also is being treated with carboplatin.  She does pretty well, has a little nausea the first 12 -24 hours and is pretty tire, but eats well and gets plenty of fluids.  Hope Zeke has an easy time also.

Shanna & Spirit Trouble ~ Trouble gained her wings 3/16/2011, a 27 1/2 month cancer survivor, tail wagging. RIP sweetheart, you are my heart and soul.  Run free at Rainbow Bridge.
The November Five - Spirits Max, Cherry, Tika, Trouble & Nova. 11/2008 - 3/2013 An era ends as Queen Nova crossed the Bridge.

sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
9 February 2009 - 11:45 pm

Katie,

It sounds like Zeke is being treated with Adriamycin (doxorubricin) since that is the main chemo drug that is cardiotoxic. It is also the cheapest but you can't exceed 4 or 5 doses without risk to the heart muscle.  Rotties are not known for heart disease so hopefully Zeke will be okay.

It is usually okay to ease into a high protein/low carb diet but ask your vet first.  My dog Tazzie can't have excess protein due to a liver problem so I give her Innova Large Breed Senior supplemented with veggies and poultry.

Some vets do not like to give antioxidants with chemo.  I  know that it is okay to use supplements with carboplatin and Cytoxan but some oncologists don't want dogs on Adriamycin to have any antioxidants at all, and some say to avoid them within a few days of chemo administration. You should bring a list of supplements with you to your next appointment.

Glucosamine should be okay as well as fish oil.

Pam and Tazzie

10 February 2009 - 7:50 am

Hi Pam, 

What does excess protein have to do with a liver problem? Marley has been on a 100% protein diet for the past few weeks as she refuses to eat anything but hamburger and roast beef! Now I'm worried with her liver issues... 

also, you asked on another post what the results were of her liver biopsy - thanks for asking! - there was some scar tissue from previous bouts of inflammation and just a little inflammation currently, but overall ok. 

Holly

10 February 2009 - 10:26 am

Thank you everyone for the welcome and the input!  I believe you are right on the type of chemo, Pam.  I couldn't remember the exact name but when you mentioned it that sounds correct.  Zeke was switched over to a different diet before his diagnosis when they thought he had pancreatitis.  He wasn't on a high fat diet so we are not sure if that was related to the Osteosarcoma or not.  I've heard a lot about the Innova Evo, so I want to ask our vet about that as well. 

They told us the results of his biopsy and it indicated that it hadn't spread to his lymphnodes yet, which was good to hear.  The doctor also gave him on a scale of 5, a 0-1 on how aggressive it is, so that sounds good to me too.  I'm hoping that means he'll only need 4 rounds of chemo.  I'll be sure to bring a list of the supplements I'm thinking of starting him on with me when we go pick him up.  Thanks again for all of your suggestions, we'll be sure to keep you updated!

Katie and Zeke

10 February 2009 - 3:55 pm

Marley,

Most dogs can handle a high protein diet but animals with liver or kidney disease might not be able to process it. A protein restricted diet is usually not necessary for these dogs but a moderate amount (35%) is usually safer. I tried Tazzie on the Evo and her liver values went up so I just stick with the Innova.  Marley might be okay since her liver biopsy report does not sound bad.

Pam and Tazzie

10 February 2009 - 5:21 pm

Hi Pam, 

Wow, I'm not sure what to do now! I'm so confused - I'm concerned about her liver, but we also should be concerned about carbs since cancer loves carbs, no? of course Marley has been so picky the past week or two - should wouldn't even eat stew beef! I can't imagine her ever going back to regular dog food - for the past several months I've been adding canned chicken to her Wellness lamb and rice, the only way to get her to eat it.... I guess I will just have her liver values checked regularly. Did Tazzie's ALT or Alkaline Phosphatase elevate after trying the Evo? 

Thanks so much for your advice once again!!! 

Holly

10 February 2009 - 5:46 pm

Holly,

Both of Tazzie's values elevated when I tried Evo (plus she gained a lot of weight) but that was before her cancer diagnosis.  I would ask Marley's vet what they think. Since Tazzie had to have a strong liver to withstand the chemo I decided to forego the high protein diet.  As long as you stick with complex carbs and avoid processed snacks and still do healthy veggies you are probably alright.  There are no easy answers with this cancer and no one knows what really works so you just have to do the best that you can!  Remember that each dog is an individual and what works for one might not be right for another.

Pam and Tazzie

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: tazziedog, antonia
Guest(s) 219
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1268
Members: 17736
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3