TRIPAWDS: Home to 23142 Members and 2162 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Losing the Leg on Friday 12/12
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
10 December 2014 - 6:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Bubba is my sweet pit bull pup that will turn 1 on New Year Day. I know he is young for OSA and truth is that diagnosis has not been set in stone yet.  SOMETHING has been reeking havoc on my poor boy's front leg.  From all appearances it looks just like OSA but the biopsy was negative for cancer cells.  It has been growing steadily and increasing in fragments and causing a lot of pain.  So, it's OFF WITH HIS LEG!! I  was trying to sound like the Red Queen there .. not sure how i did.  I'm trying to keep my humor about all this- already spent too much time crying.  I know that Bubba will be fine.. its just me that I'm not so sure about.  He is so young that I worry about him wanting to play too much and rip his stitches or staples or whatever they will be using. He is used to sleeping with us, too. I know it is going to be hard to reteach him that the bed is not his sleeping place.  After the amputation, they are sending his entire leg to the lab to run more tests and hopefully a definite NO for cancer. One thing I want to ask is if anyone uses supplements like glucosomine/condroitin to strengthen  the bones in his other legs.. especially the remaining front one. I am open to any and all suggestions

On The Road

10 December 2014 - 7:47 pm

Hi Bubbalove, welcome. Your future posts won't need approval.

So, it’s OFF WITH HIS LEG!! I  was trying to sound like the Red Queen there .. not sure how i did.

Pawfect! Your great attitude will carry you both very far.

I'm sorry to hear he's dealing with this and at such a young age! I hope the vets find out what exactly this condition is.

He's so young, he'll bounce back quickly and never even recall that he had that bum leg. And you will forget too, those pictures of him with 4 will seem so weird and pretty soon quadpawds will look like the odd ones, not your Bubba!

Some things to remember:

• Jerry's Required Reading List and the Tripawds e-books are filled with tons of tips & tricks for coping with the days ahead and raising a strong, healthy puppy.
  • Young dogs are hard to keep calm during recovery. It's crucial to do so to avoid post-op complications. Consider stocking up on things like interactive toys and other "brain games" that work his mind, which is more tiring and healthier than wearing out his body.
  • We are starting a Tripawds Conditioning & Fitness Class in February. Consider signing up to learn pawesome tips from the world's most distinguisted K9 Rehab instructor.
  • Keep him lean, very lean, to avoid joint stress on his growing body. This is crucial for all Tripawds.
  • You'll learn so much more in the coming weeks. Just take things one day at a time and you'll be the greatest Tripawd Mom ever.

Stay tuned as more of our community chimes in. Nice to meet you!

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Westminster, MD
10 December 2014 - 9:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

So sorry your Bubba is having such difficult circumstances at this young age, but you have found the best place to be. And believe me, we all have felt that awful fear, for sure. From your avatar, he is a very handsome pup !

Jerry had given great advice so far, so I will try to add a few more things......Amputation for our pets is definitely worse for us emotionally than it is for them, and yes, with him being so young, keeping him quiet for a few weeks may be a challenge. If he is confined well, that should not be too much of a problem.

As far as glucosamine supplements, my Polly's surgeon suggested we start her on Dasuquin because she was older, aged 9 when she had her front amp....she had no other problems but just wanted to strengthen her joints in her remaining legs. Since Bubba is so young, I am not sure this is something that would be needed immediately, but I am guessing that is something that you can discuss with his vet.

Keep us posted on your boy, and others will be joining in the conversation soon....we have all been down this road so there is a ton of experience and knowledge here.
{{{Hugs}}}
Bonnie & Angel Polly

10 December 2014 - 9:14 pm

Hi Bubbalove,

Not to worry, Bubba will still be able to sleep with you. Likely not on your bed during the healing period, at least until the stitches/staples are out. Some people put a mattress on the floor to sleep beside their dog.

After Bubba is healed you can always add steps or boxes to go up and down. My tri-kitty Mona, front leg amputee, can jump up to my high bed easily. To help her go down I added a chair and box so she doesn't put too much weight on her only front leg. Now, after 6 months she usually ignores the chair because she has developed new ways of getting down - one is a side dismount where she lands first on her rear legs.

Cats and dogs are amazingly resilient and learn to adapt - mostly a youngster like Bubba.

As for joint supplements others will chime in with suggestions. Also your vet may have a product they sell. I haven't been successful finding anything my cat will take so I just massage her and have taken her in for a chiropractic treatment.

Good luck on preparing for surgery day. And take care of yourself. It is a difficult time but it will get better.

Kerren

New York, NY
11 December 2014 - 10:42 am

Welcome to you and Bubba......I have some great news for you Bubba......You picked the BEST Amputation date!  Friday is my Jilly's 2 year ampuversary!  So 12/12 is GOOD LUCK!  She will be two years cancer free this Friday (she also had OSA).

She's a kitty, but still!  Let us know whatever questions you may have and keep us posted!!

xoxo,

Erica & Kitty Jill

Jill is a 9-year-old tuxedo kitty. She was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma in June 2012 on her toe in her right hind leg. Her leg was amputated on 12/12/12 and she completed four rounds of chemo (2 of Carbo, 2 of Doxy) in April 2013. "Like" Jill's facebook page: https://www.fac.....tty?ref=hl Proud member of the WINTER WARRIORS!!!! Her blog can be read at http://jillsjou.....ipawds.com. xoxo

Martinsburg, WV
11 December 2014 - 1:33 pm

Welcome Bubba and family,

I'm sorry to hear sweet Bubba has been having such a rough time.  This community is a great place to find support and advice regarding this new journey you're about to go on with Bubba.  Don't worry though...Bubba will adapt to his new situation and he'll be happy because he'll no longer be filling pain in that bad leg.  I think Bubba's age is a positive and a negative.  It's a negative because like you and others mentioned he's still in the puppy stage and I'm sure if he's like my 7 month old he loves to run and play and be active.  It will be tough to keep him from overexerting himself.  But his age is also a positive because he should bounce back pretty quickly.

And you don't have to have Bubba sleep alone.  My husband and I took our mattress off the bed and laid it on the floor to keep my Leland from attempting to get up on the bed.  I know it may not be the most comfortable for us humans but I think it would stress our furkids out if they all of a sudden have some other sleeping arrangement when they've been sleeping in bed with us.  Besides it's only for a short time until the incision is healed and they get some strength back.

Also, if you have tile or hardwood floors throughout your home you may want to check into getting some runners with the rubber backing to lay down.  It will help Bubba with traction while learning how to get around as a Tripawd and it will help with his confidence.

Hang in there and I hope all goes well with the surgery tomorrow!!

Sahana and her Angel Leland

Leland

November 17, 2009 - June 30, 2014

May you finally be healthy and running free at the Rainbow Bridge. Until we meet again my sweet boy!

11 December 2014 - 2:06 pm

Thank you all soooo much. I am overwhelmed by the support we are already receiving.  I'm not afraid to admit, I am one nervous nelly!  I know its going to be worse on me than him lol.  We have had him since he was 6 weeks old and he is the best dog I have ever had.  Tonight he is getting all the special lovings and treats (until 9pm or so) that he wants. Right now I feel fear.  I have no idea what I am so scared of.  I know he is gonna be ok. Our house is way too small for a mattress on the floor but I think he will be satisfied with his favorite blanket on the floor next to the couch. Somewhere I read a great suggestion about revamping old t shirts  so that he has something to keep him from licking at the wound.  Sounds like a super easy fix!! Anyways.. I will check back in tomorrow night when he is back home.  Once again thank you all sosososo very much.. I am happy to have found you

New York, NY
11 December 2014 - 2:18 pm

My favorite tip someone gave me was to wear an old t shirt I didnt care about before I went to bed so it would be fresh with my smell on it.  I gave it to the vet tech when I dropped Jill off with me the morning of surgery and they put it with her to lay on while she was waking up from surgery so she would have a familiar scent with her.  I have no idea if it helped her, but it helped ME thinking she would feel me near her when she was waking up and recovering without me there....just a tip :)

Jill is a 9-year-old tuxedo kitty. She was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma in June 2012 on her toe in her right hind leg. Her leg was amputated on 12/12/12 and she completed four rounds of chemo (2 of Carbo, 2 of Doxy) in April 2013. "Like" Jill's facebook page: https://www.fac.....tty?ref=hl Proud member of the WINTER WARRIORS!!!! Her blog can be read at http://jillsjou.....ipawds.com. xoxo

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
11 December 2014 - 5:26 pm

Hello ! welcome to tripawds.

Yes, t-shirts are A MUST to keep the stitches away from doggie licks and paws.  Johnnie used them for the first three weeks.

We do use chondroitin glucosamine with Johnnie, upon vet's recommendation.  Also, as you will see from the reading list, physical therapy should be started a.s.a.p. , especially since Bubba is so young.

Good luck with the surgery, and keep posting!

Daniela & Johnnie

Our awesome Golden Boy was diagnosed for OSA in April 2014 in the proximal humerus, front-leg amp on 05/20/2014. Finished chemo (Carbo6) on 07/10/2014. Ongoing treatment: acupuncture + K-9 Immunity Plus ( 3chews) and home-cooked no-grain diet.   Stopped Apocaps because of liver issues.   Liver issues: controlling altered enzymes with SAM-e and Milk Thistle.  October 17:  started having seizures.  Taking fenobarbital for seizures.  April 18: started prednisone.

11 December 2014 - 6:11 pm

Thank you for the info.  I have been sitting here most of the day and evening scouring the forums and reading material. I'm really curious what the vet will say about rehab.  She hasn't mentioned it all. I think her first priority is to get him out of pain, then deal with what comes next.  She is an amazing person. She knows that at this moment I have no money to pay for all of his treatment and when I voiced my concern about it, she told me that getting Bubba pain free was much more important to her than money. I'm very blessed that she is willing to get it done now and not make him wait another month or so to get this done. I have a whole bag of old t shirt that i need to get ready for him...wow.. this post is very ADD... I'm jumping from subject to subject..my apologies. I think I am just a nervous wreck right now lol

11 December 2014 - 7:29 pm

Welcome and good luck tomorrow with the surgery.  When I first saw the date that he was having his amputation I thought of Jill.  He will have some good luck juice there. 

If you can't fit a mattress maybe a used baby mattress if you can find one.  those are small and have the support that he & you could lay on with if you wanted to.

Nervous is fine we have been there.  Just remember to get some rest because I know when Sassy came home I was more worried about her and didn't sleep much

Hugs

Michelle & Angel Sassy

sassymichelle-sm.jpg

Sassy is a proud member of the Winter Warriors. Live long, & strong Winter Warriors.
sassysugarbear.tripawds.com
07/26/2006 - Sassy earned her wings 08/20/2013

05/04/2006 -  Bosch, Sassy's pal, earned his wings 03/29/19  fought cancer for 4 months.

"You aren't doing it TO her, you are doing it FOR her. Give her a chance at life."

Livermore, CA

11 December 2014 - 8:20 pm

Welcome.

Your boy is so young! You have received great input already, I just wanted to say good luck tomorrow and post when you have an update.

Oh, and your vet sounds great too. It really helps in this journey to have a vet who is so compassionate and who you trust.

Karen and Spirit Maggie

Tri-pug Maggie survived a 4.5 year mast cell cancer battle only to be lost to oral melanoma.

1999 to 2010

Maggie's Story                  Amputation and Chemo

Virginia

11 December 2014 - 10:47 pm

Gosh! Just catching up on Bubba! First of all, he is ADORABLE!! Cannot wait to see more pictures!!

You've already gotten great advice, so I just want to add mynlove and support to the mix!

This IS scary and you have every right to be nervous!! The unknown...the uncertainty...the "what ifs"...the second guessing....the panic....the sheer fear....yeah...we get it!!!! All "normal" on this craaaaaazy journey!! And then when surgery is over and you have him home and you see how resilient henis, all your worries will fade. Just follow Bubba's lead and follow your instincts. You are strong....you've done your research....you are as prepared as anyone can be on this journey...and you trust your vet...all pluses!!

Yoh are NOT alone, okay? We've all been through it. We understand like no others can. Stay connected and wee help anyway we can.

And eat lots and lots of CHOCOLATE!!!!!! It'll do wonders!!!

Sending hugs to all!!!

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 175
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17894
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: