TRIPAWDS: Home to 22974 Members and 2152 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Its' tomorrow, 9/22/11
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
22 September 2011 - 4:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Like many on this forum, we've made the decision to amputate and start chemo.  I hope to have Ellie's blog up soon.  Our story is the same as many others:  limp>Vet>X-Rays>"Something strange">biopsy>"inconclusive, but likely">re-do pathology study>oncologist>decisions. 

And yes, Ellie seems pretty normal, good energy, appetite, a little limp, and not wanting to go for walks at times, but eager at others.

We just hope that she's knows we are doing the best thing for her.  She's such a joy in our, and so many other peoples' lives.  She's a Border Collie/German Shepard mix with a uniquely sweet and gentle temperament.

I haven't figured out if there is a way to search to find other members in our area.  We are just north of San Francisco in Marin County. So if you could direct me to other area members or what would be good to know following surgery and how to help her, and us, make the transition, we'd appreciate it.

Best to all,

Reid

On The Road

sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
22 September 2011 - 5:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Welcome Reid! We're sorry about Ellie's diagnosis...what type of cancer is it?

You couldn't be in a better place for receiving treatment, or hooking up with other Tripawds members. Our NorCal group is one of our most active, as you can tell in our Tripawd Parties Forum (I see you've found it). Where is Ellie getting treated?

We'd love to hear more about her and will do all we can to help any way we can. As always, we recommend starting with our Required Reading List and if you don't want to search the entire site for our best info, check out our ebook, Three Legs & a Spare. We also highly recommend Dr. Dressler's Dog Cancer Survival Guide (stay tuned for a complete review).

Hey, I was a Border Collie / GSD...fantastic combo if I do say so myself!

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

San Diego, CA
22 September 2011 - 5:14 pm

Hi Reid and Ellie - sorry you had to find us, but you've come to the right place!

I would recommend the 3 Legs & a Spare ebook that Jerry mentions - it really prepares you for what's in store. The first 10-14 days can be rough, post-amp, but you'll get through it and then Ellie will be inspiring and amazing you.

How old is Ellie?

There are quite a few Tripawds folks in the No Cal area, and I'm sure they'll be chiming in on here. You won't find a better group of more supportive folks on the 'net.

We think our Abby is a similar mix - although no one really knows... - we think she's smooth coated collie & GSD. Or maybe Aussie Shep. Who knows. Abby has adjusted quite well (she is only 2 so quite young and full of energy) and does pretty much everything she did pre-amp.

Be sure to come back here during the recovery period if you have some specific questions or just need some support. Sleep can be in short supply the first week or so, so be sure to rest up as much as possible before she comes home! Also, be sure to keep us updated. We like to celebrate first walks, first pees, first poos. (Seriously... we do.) Really, we are just up for any excuse for a treat.

Hope Ellie does well with her surgery and recovery,

Jackie, Abby's mom

Abby: Aug 1, 2009 – Jan 10, 2012. Our beautiful rescue pup lived LARGE with osteosarcoma for 15 months – half her way-too-short life. I think our "halflistic" approach (mixing traditional meds + supplements) helped her thrive. (PM me for details. I'm happy to help.) She had lung mets for over a year. They took her from us in the end, but they cannot take her spirit! She will live forever in our hearts. She loved the beach and giving kisses and going to In-N-Out for a Flying Dutchman. Tripawds blog, and a more detailed blog here. Please also check out my novel, What the Dog Ate. Now also in paperback! Purchase it at Amazon via Tripawds and help support Tripawds!

22 September 2011 - 5:43 pm

Thanks all for the quick repsonses.

Ellie is just a bit over 9 and has been diagnosed with osteosarcoma--left front.  We're having the surgery in San Anselmo--a surgeon is coming whom our vets really like.  Then in the afternoon, we take her to the animal hospital in San Rafael for the night.  I'd almost rather someone else take her there as I don't want her to feel abandoned.  Maybe they'll let me sleep on the floor.wink

I think Ellie will do better than we will with the surgery.  She's the type of dog we take to a park, and the kids pour sand on her and she doesn't move--doesn't even react.

Thanks for the required reading list.  Does the ebook offer more than the reading list?

Thanks,

Reid

On The Road

22 September 2011 - 5:55 pm

reidthaler said:

Does the ebook offer more than the reading list?

Much more. While we did base development of the book upon Jerry's original reading list, the 108 page e-book includes direct links to more posts and videos, additional narrative and bonus material. Complete details can be found here.

Thanks for asking, and best wishes for Ellie's complete speedy recovery!

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

San Diego, CA
22 September 2011 - 6:28 pm

We did the exact same with Abby - the surgeon came to our vet's office, then we had to go move her to the hospital for over night care. It was kinda rough, moving her. She got a little excited seeing us, was panting really hard, so it was tough to leave her again - but she was in pretty rough shape so I was glad to not have to take her home for the night (they did give us that option - but I thought it was better, and so did our vet, to have her at the hospital). She was not walking when we saw her - the vet tech's helped us get her in the car, then the hospital techs helped us get her out - but the next morning she ran out of the hospital faster than I could keep up.

Hope all goes well with the surgery!

Jackie

Abby: Aug 1, 2009 – Jan 10, 2012. Our beautiful rescue pup lived LARGE with osteosarcoma for 15 months – half her way-too-short life. I think our "halflistic" approach (mixing traditional meds + supplements) helped her thrive. (PM me for details. I'm happy to help.) She had lung mets for over a year. They took her from us in the end, but they cannot take her spirit! She will live forever in our hearts. She loved the beach and giving kisses and going to In-N-Out for a Flying Dutchman. Tripawds blog, and a more detailed blog here. Please also check out my novel, What the Dog Ate. Now also in paperback! Purchase it at Amazon via Tripawds and help support Tripawds!

22 September 2011 - 6:42 pm

Thanks for your story.  As I said, Ellie, will probably do better than us.  She's got such a great attitude. 

Reid

Las Vegas, Nevada
22 September 2011 - 7:32 pm

Welcome Ellie and of course Reid!

So sorry about your poor Ellie.  But gosh, you really sound like you got your head wrapped around it and are in the right frame of mind!!  Kudos to you! Which is great for Ellie - the stronger you are, the better she will do.  We all are usually a blubbery emotional mess!  (that's okay too - that's what we are here for)

Since I am only on the Tripawd Welcome/Entertainment Committee and didn't have a cancer dog nor an amputation, I'll let the others tell you about their experience.  But I think all our east coasters are watching the season premier of 'Grey's Anatomy' tonight so it may be tomorrow!

Abby's mom forgot to mention that our Tripawd girls (which will now include Ellie) need to don pinks capes!  It gives them super powers!   Ellie will be a Tripawd Warrior Princess now!

In the meantime,  I'll be sending you lots of healing wishes.

Image Enlarger

Jackie's artwork.

Her Retired AvatarComet - 1999 to 2011

She departed us unexpectedly  January 23, 2011 at the age of 12 1/2.

She was born with a deformed front leg and a tripawd all of her life.

krun15
22 September 2011 - 7:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hi Reid and Ellie,

Welcome to Tripawds- not a group you ever thought you would have to join.. right?

I am in Livermore and one of the norcal Tripawd group.  We get together at the Mill Valley dog park once a month or so… usually on the second Saturday of the month.  We don't make every month…

I'm sorry to hear about Ellie's diagnosis- you are probably dealing with a lot right now.  But you are right- all of this tends to be harder on us than our pups.  They just deal with what is in front of them, we have to spend some amount of time worrying about things first!!

My pug Maggie lost a leg to mast cell cancer, not OSA.  She did great, defying the odds- she lived almost 4 years after her amputation; she had been given 6 to 9 months.  Just goes to show that stats and prognosis are not always right. 

You will find tons of information and support on this site, I hope you take full advantage.

And I look forward to meeting you and Ellie and the rest of your pack at one of our tripawd meetups.

Good luck with the surgery tomorrow- I'll be looking for an update.

Karen and the pugapalooza

22 September 2011 - 9:49 pm

Thanks everyone for your good wishes. Hard to rub Ellie's belly and type with one finger on my phone. Belly wins. Will keep everyone posted.

Reid

Sebastopol, CA
22 September 2011 - 11:10 pm

Hi Reid

So sorry about Ellie's diagnosis and has to go through all the treatment. But you have found a wonderful community to support you.

We don't live too far from you, we are in Sebastopol, our Lylee had to have her right front leg amputated for OSA in June and is now going thru Carboplatin chemo 6 rounds. And she is doing great! Our furkids adjust so well! Life is good - so what's the problem. They are truly in the moment!

It will be wonderful to meet you all at the Tripawds gathering in Mill Valley! And, yes, Ellie will be a Tripawd Warrior Princess 🙂

Sending all good thoughts and wishes for speedy recovery,

Joanne, Lylee's Mum

http://lyleegir.....ipawds.com

My heart lives at Rainbow Bridge
23 September 2011 - 2:36 am

Sending tons of good thoughts your way for an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery.

Shanna & Spirit Trouble ~ Trouble gained her wings 3/16/2011, a 27 1/2 month cancer survivor, tail wagging. RIP sweetheart, you are my heart and soul.  Run free at Rainbow Bridge.
The November Five - Spirits Max, Cherry, Tika, Trouble & Nova. 11/2008 - 3/2013 An era ends as Queen Nova crossed the Bridge.

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 258
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1268
Members: 17735
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: