TRIPAWDS: Home to 22974 Members and 2152 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Amputation Day tomorrow - 3/20
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
knoxville, tn
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
20 March 2012 - 11:06 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

larry and barb, your post has been approved - you may want to register as members, and start a new forum topic regarding your little golden girl.  there are many resources available on tripawds.com to help you prepare  -

Save time spent searching, download the new Tripawds e-book for immediate answers!

Bookmark Jerry's Required Reading List for more amputation recovery advice and care tips.

Review the Tripawds Featured Blogs for the best three legged dog care product recommendations.

good luck, we look forward to hearing more of your story.

charon & spirit gayle

Life is good, so very, very good!!! Gayle enjoyed each and every moment of each and every wonderful day (naps included).  She left this world December 12, 2011 – off on a new adventure.

Love Never Ends

http://etgayle

Washington
20 March 2012 - 12:02 pm

Sorry you are finding yourself here...  Hearing that your dog has cancer has got to be one of the most devastating moments in a lifetime, but it sounds like you are heading into this new chapter armed with as much information as possible and a positive attitude.  In my opinion, those are going to be the two strongest weapons you can have in your arsenal when facing this sort of crisis.  We are wishing you and Rocket an uneventful surgery and a super boring recovery.  We'll be waiting with fingers and paws crossed to hear updates on how your boy is doing.

Sending you our very best wishes and lots of courage for the road ahead.

Rio's momma, Micki

the Woo

~ ~ Rio ~ ~
Forever in my heart...

April 2000 – January 20, 2012
Diagnosed with Mast Cell Cancer in June 2007. Left rear leg amputated Feb. 8, 2011.
Mets discovered Aug. 31, 2011. Read more of Rio's story here.

Portage Lake, Maine
20 March 2012 - 12:20 pm

Thinking of you and Rocket today...  Here's to hoping for a fast and uneventful recovery!!! 

We're here for you!

Tracy, Maggie's Mom

Maggie was amputated for soft tissue sarcoma 10-20-09

Maggie lost her battle with kidney disease on 8-24-13

http://maggie.t.....t-24-2013/

20 March 2012 - 5:44 pm

All of the wonderful wishes and prayers paid off everyone--- Rocket did great with surgery and is now resting comfortably. As you know, greyhounds have very thin skin which cover their muscles drum-tight, so the surgeon was concerned about potential hemorrhaging--but he had no issues whatsoever. The surgeon also confirmed that the xrays showed Rocket's lungs to be clear, which is also a huge relief.

We are taking everyone's number one piece of advice---SLEEP! I am so mentally drained I need it. Tomorrow will be spent prepping the house for Rocket's homecoming--i.e. moving everyone's beds to the first floor, removing trip hazards, etc.

I was going to start the blog tonight, but will do so in the next few days. I'm beat.

I know I will spending much of my time on this sight gleening from your experience as each day brings something new to learn; it is amazingly comforting and warming to read your stories. Each time I close this iPad, I do so with tears in my eyes. I am humbled by each and every one of you. Bless you and your furry ones--whom have united us all.

Washington
20 March 2012 - 5:52 pm

So happy to hear that Rocket has made it through his surgery and is resting.  Glad you are too! 

Rio's momma, Micki

the Woo

~ ~ Rio ~ ~
Forever in my heart...

April 2000 – January 20, 2012
Diagnosed with Mast Cell Cancer in June 2007. Left rear leg amputated Feb. 8, 2011.
Mets discovered Aug. 31, 2011. Read more of Rio's story here.

Rock Hill, SC
20 March 2012 - 6:09 pm

Glad to hear the surgery went well!  Good luck with recovery and don't hesitate to post with any questions you have.

Lisa and Zeus

Zeus was a Husky mix diagnosed with Osteosarcoma at age 11.  A visible lung met and suspicious spot on his liver meant a poor prognosis-six weeks was our vet's best guess. We decided to fight for our boy and his right front leg was amputated on 12/1/11. We did six rounds of chemo, changed his diet and spoiled him completely rotten. We were blessed with 10 great months after diagnosis. Against the odds, the lung met remained a single met and grew very little over those months. A wonderful furbaby with the most gentle spirit, he fought with a strength that we never imagined he possessed. We have no regrets...
http://zeuspod......pawds.com/

San Diego, CA
20 March 2012 - 6:11 pm

Hooray for successful surgery! Now you just need to get through the recovery.

Are you prepared for what Rocket will look like the first time you see him? It can be a little shocking as the incision can be quite large. Some dogs are sent home w/ a bandage, but many are not. Abby wasn't and I didn't know what we were going to see - I was a bit freaked out, but we saw her that same afternoon right after her surgery, so she was still panting heavily and just lying there, very out of it from the meds. It will likely be different since Rocket will have a night of rest under his belt by the time you see him. Anyway, I just mention it so you'll be ready. Just focus on his face and you'll be so happy to see him, none of that will matter. 

We are here if you have questions during the recovery!

All the best. Rest up!

Jackie, Angel Abby's mom

Abby: Aug 1, 2009 – Jan 10, 2012. Our beautiful rescue pup lived LARGE with osteosarcoma for 15 months – half her way-too-short life. I think our "halflistic" approach (mixing traditional meds + supplements) helped her thrive. (PM me for details. I'm happy to help.) She had lung mets for over a year. They took her from us in the end, but they cannot take her spirit! She will live forever in our hearts. She loved the beach and giving kisses and going to In-N-Out for a Flying Dutchman. Tripawds blog, and a more detailed blog here. Please also check out my novel, What the Dog Ate. Now also in paperback! Purchase it at Amazon via Tripawds and help support Tripawds!

20 March 2012 - 6:32 pm

YAY!  So glad surgery went well!  I'm glad you're resting and prepping.  They can be a little drippy from the incision.  I found old towels and puppy pee pads to be quite helpful.  I noticed lots of vets put in a drain of some kind that controls that a bit.  Mine didn't and it was messy for awhile.  It's normal, so don't be startled.

I hope you have an easy and uneventful recovery!

Hugs and Wags,

Judy and Baby

20 March 2012 - 7:54 pm

Hello. Sorry I missed welcoming you to Tripawds yesterday! Welcome!!! So happy to hear that Rocket made it through he surgery great!! Praying for a super speedy recovery for Rocket so the two of you can get back to wonderful times together!

Calgary, AB
20 March 2012 - 11:39 pm

That is great news that the surgery went so well! Keep up the good work Rocket, you're making us proud!

Laura

Tai – 9 yr old lab. Diagnosed Osteosarcoma Dec 18/09. Front right leg amputated Dec 21/09. Started chemo Jan 7/10. Lung mets discovered Sept 16/10. Valiant to the end on Oct 26/10 when cancer reappeared in a leg and we made the decision to set her free. Forever in my heart where not even cancer can take her from me.

On The Road

21 March 2012 - 9:59 am

Fantastic! Rocky is a champ, and so are you!

I forgot to mention this article about post-op bleeding in Greyhounds in our Downloads blog. Not to scare you, but since we've seen a few Greys with extreme post-op bruising and such, it's a good thing to review, just in case.

Hope you got some sleep last night.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Las Vegas, Nevada
21 March 2012 - 1:06 pm

That's fantastic news!  YAY! for a successful surgery and here's to a boring recovery (hopefully)!  Pretty soon Rocket will be home and will being his wonderful self! 

CONGRATULATORY HUGS to you both! 

Her Retired AvatarComet - 1999 to 2011

She departed us unexpectedly  January 23, 2011 at the age of 12 1/2.

She was born with a deformed front leg and a tripawd all of her life.

21 March 2012 - 7:10 pm

Hello to all of our new friends,

Rocket is doing well according to the vet and technicians I spoke with today. He is walking steady already, after getting assistance to stand. They did say he isn't interested in food yet, which is to be expected, but also, he is not urinating on his own. They have been helping him with a catheter, and also said this is not unusual. Any thoughts? I will say that at hoe, we call him "the camel" because he seems to go only twice a day. So to me, it seems normal, but I'm curious as to what your experience has seen.

Other than that, we find out tomorrow if we are bringing him home then or Friday. We have the house prepped and ready to go and I'm looking forward to get him tucked away safe and sound.

I'll update tomorrow, until then, have a wonderful night.

Lynda

Rock Hill, SC
21 March 2012 - 7:28 pm

Glad to hear things are going well so far.  Zeus' brother, Merlin, had two surgeries for torn ACLs.  After one surgery he took 5 days to urinate.  After the other he took 4 days, I think.  Yep, you read that right - 5 DAYS and 4 DAYS way-confused  We kept calling the vet and they didn't seem overly concerned.  Eventually he got back to normal and the vet said his system was just really sensitive to the anesthesia and took longer than most to "start moving" again.  Glad to hear your vet is using a catheter - it seems like it would be terribly uncomfortable to hold it for too long.

Many wishes for a great recovery!

Zeus was a Husky mix diagnosed with Osteosarcoma at age 11.  A visible lung met and suspicious spot on his liver meant a poor prognosis-six weeks was our vet's best guess. We decided to fight for our boy and his right front leg was amputated on 12/1/11. We did six rounds of chemo, changed his diet and spoiled him completely rotten. We were blessed with 10 great months after diagnosis. Against the odds, the lung met remained a single met and grew very little over those months. A wonderful furbaby with the most gentle spirit, he fought with a strength that we never imagined he possessed. We have no regrets...
http://zeuspod......pawds.com/

New Jersey
21 March 2012 - 7:41 pm

I'm late to this thread...but just wanted to add my congratulations and welcome. Glad Rocket is doing so well!!!

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 227
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1268
Members: 17735
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: