TRIPAWDS: Home to 23154 Members and 2162 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Newbie - Pippin, Papillon, age 7. Amputation 9/3/10 as a result of infection from broken leg being wrapped tight.
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Baltimore, Maryland
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5 September 2010 - 1:50 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

My 7 year old toy breed Papillon became a Tripawd on 9/3/10 due to an infection that resulted from the emergency clinic wrapping her leg too tight.  She had broken her leg and was healing in a splint.  Accident happened on a Saturday night so we took her to a 24hr. emergency clinic, then we took her to her regular clinic that Monday a.m. for follow-up. They looked at her emergency clinic x-ray of the re-set of her leg and said to come back in two weeks for an x-ray.  The re-set x-ray looked good to her vet and chance were good that she could heal in a splint.  Came back in two weeks and the x-ray showed that she was slightly healing and to come back the next day for them to put a regular cast on her to keep the leg even more stable.  Came back the next day and when they took the splint off, the infection was discovered.  After two days of Baytril, it was not clearing up.  Was able to go to an Orthopedic Surgeon quickly and they told us that the infection was so bad that her leg could not be saved.  She had amputation that day with her vet.

Tripawd Papillon at age 7 on September 3, 2010.  Broke her leg and was healing in a splint.  Went to cast her and found infection due to Emergency Clinic wrapping her foot too tight.

Pippin's BLOG:  http://laurtiki.....pawds.com/

On The Road

5 September 2010 - 10:18 am

Hi Pippin,

We're so sorry you lost your leg to that nasty infection! But you've got some great care now, and we're betting you'll be on the road to recovery in no time.

Your smaller size will give you a HUGE advantage in being a Tripawd, and everywhere you go, people are going to want your pawdograph so be ready!

In the meantime, be sure to check out our Required Reading List if you have any questions, and do consider signing up as a member so your posts won't need moderation OK?

Let us know if there's anything we can help with. Good luck!

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

5 September 2010 - 12:25 pm

I'm so sorry to hear Pippin lost her leg due to an infection.  How is she doing with her recovery?  The first two weeks can be really stressful so be sure to post if you have any questions or concerns.  Chances are that some of us have gone through the same thing.  Please know that you and Pippin are in my thoughts and prayers.

Debra & Angel Emily

Debra & Emily, a five year old doberman mix, who was diagnosed with an osteosaecoma. She had a right rear leg amputation on May 19, 2009. On November 10, 2009 she earned her wings and regained her fourth leg.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 September 2010 - 1:37 pm

Thanks for your responses!  I'm glad I found this site.

It's been a little over 24 hours since we brought her home from the hospital and she hasn't eaten anything or peed.  She did drink a good bit of water this morning.  She did eat and peed yesterday morning at the clinic before we got her.  Before surgery with the broken leg and meds, she was only peeing once a day. (she weighs 10 pounds).

She is grumpy today.  Snapping at us. Resting well though.  Had a little bit of a restless night.  Just kept moving and shifting getting used to wearing the cone at night.  She is wearing the cone today.  Has only tried to get to her stitches a couple times.  Most the time I am right next to her, in fact all the time.  But I do keep the cone on her more today since she doesn't mind it.  Plus if I walk out into the kitched to get a drink, I don't want her to be able to get to her stitches.  Incision and swelling look a bit better.  Taking pictures every day of it for a medical diary.

When we take her out to pee, she just holds her tail down.  I'm hoping she will pee later today.  We put a towel underneath her chest and walk her a few steps.  You can see that she is using her hip muscle where the leg was removed.  But she doesn't want to use that other rear leg yet.  Just wants to try to sit.  The Orthopedic Surgeon said to cut her Baytril and Carprofen in half and give twice a day instead of once since she is so small and it is effecting her bowel movements.  Even with a laxative 3 times a day she was only pooping once a week.  Now that she has a pain patch in addition to the two medications, who knows when she'll poop.  She goes Wed. to get her pain patch replaced.  Then in 8 days from today, her stitches get removed.

I'm going to order the Cosequin, Welactin, and a pair of those traction socks for her soon.  We have hardwood floors in our living room as well as hardwood stairs.  Although she won't be doing stairs ever again.  It's kinda strange, she was already afraid of stairs.  She used them, but a lot of the time she would lie at the bottom of the steps until you brought her up.  Her accident happened at a friend's house though.  Somehow she got caught and twisted her leg at the bottom of their deck steps/concrete.  We don't know the exact cause.  I saw her go down the steps, turned to talk to someone, looked back at her and she was in the grass looking at her leg.  Then got up and help her leg up.  Broke it in 3 places.  She had surgery on the same leg.  Her hip when she was a puppy.  We adopted her at age 2.  Don't know what exactly happened - whether it was from trauma or in her genes.  We always wondered what happened to her. When we saw the x-ray, you can actually see a missing piece around her hip joint.  Ortho said it won't effect her at all.  She was always more flexible in that leg.  Matter of fact we nicknamed her "kickstand" because she would always sit and have that leg out to the side.  Now I guess we can nickname her "tripod". Main concern in the future is to keep her weight down, Ortho said.  We had been trying harder this past year to get her weight down - about a pound is what vet said she could lose, but not much.  She's lost 2 since her leg breakage.  Now we need to keep it down.  Of course, I'll let her eat as much as she wants during this recovery time period. 

Tripawd Papillon at age 7 on September 3, 2010.  Broke her leg and was healing in a splint.  Went to cast her and found infection due to Emergency Clinic wrapping her foot too tight.

RuthieGirl
5 September 2010 - 2:54 pm

Poor Pippin having to wear that huge cone!  I'd be grumpy too.  Having to watch your girly figure, I guess a bowl of ice cream is out of the question.  Maybe a good poop would help your mood.

Keep in touch...

Pat & Angel Ruthie

5 September 2010 - 10:08 pm

So sorry that Pippin lost her leg to an infection! This is a great website for everything-you-need-to-know about caring for your new tripawd. Since she is small enough, she can be carried up/down stairs. For my 65lb Chloe, pretty much out of the question... but since she is bigger, stairs aren't as daunting anyway.  Hope Pippin makes her first nice poop for you! Something we tripawd parents tend to overly celebrate! (since the meds make them constipated and because they don't eat as much...)

-Chloe's mom

Chloe became a rear amp tripawd on 7-29-10. Another tumor was removed on front leg 2-20-14. Found 3rd tumor on neck 2-2015, but she's still kicking cancer's butt at age 14. Chloe's blog

6 September 2010 - 11:37 am

It isn't unusual for dogs to be constipated after surgery.  On top of that, pain medication can cause constipation, too so Pippin is having a double whammy!  My dogs need to lose weight too and my vet suggested giving them green beans and carrots and to decrease the amout of dog food they eat.  Instead of dog biscuits they eat baby carrots and love them.  It might be harder with such a small dog because you do need to make sure Pippin is still getting her nutritional needs met.

Good luck with the pooh!

Debra & Angel Emily

Debra & Emily, a five year old doberman mix, who was diagnosed with an osteosaecoma. She had a right rear leg amputation on May 19, 2009. On November 10, 2009 she earned her wings and regained her fourth leg.

On The Road

6 September 2010 - 11:48 am

You guys are doing great with her recovery and sound like you've got a good frame of mind to make this as good as it can be. Yes, keep the weight down. Always remember that one pound of excess weight on a dog is like five pounds of flab on a human.

Baltimore, Maryland
6 September 2010 - 12:47 pm

Pippin peed this afternoon!  YAY!  AND, she ate some boiled chicken - YAY, YAY, YAY! 

I started a blog for Pippin, here it is:

http://laurtiki.....pawds.com/

Is there anyway to receive an email notification when someone post a reply or do I just have to keep checking "watching" ?  I only see in my options of receiving a notification when someone sends me a private message.

On The Road

6 September 2010 - 1:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Papillon Pippin said:

Is there anyway to receive an email notification when someone post a reply

Click the Subscribe button at the bottom of any topic (or when starting a topic or posting a reply) to receive mail notification of all replies to that topic. You can than manage all your topic subscriptions from the Subscribed button at top, which will indicate new unread topic replies next to it with a red number.

krun15
6 September 2010 - 7:15 pm

Hi Pippin and pack,

My pug Maggie was also pretty small, 17 pounds at the time of her amp, and also a rear amp.  Luckily because of her pug belly she couldn't reach her sutures so didn't have to wear a cone.

Maggie turned into a long time survivor so I was a bit more protective of her as she aged.  She passed a few months ago at the age of 11, she was a tripug for 3 years and 9 months.

As a rear amp she could go down anything- but had trouble on longer flights of stairs going up.  She was only 12" at the shoulder.  2 or 3 steps were no problem for her.

One word of caution on carrying- I understand carrying on long flights of stairs- we did that as Mag aged- but right after her amp my parents would carry her too much.  She would not go where I knew she could, up the two steps to the porch, where the dog door is.  She would wait to be carried.  We had some standoffs at my house- I knew she could get in and out by herself.  Once she understood that I would not carry her everywhere she was very independent. 

As for the slipping on hard floors. I had some rugs on the tile and outside on the deck.  She really used the non-skid runners on the steps up and down the deck.  I also found that trimming the fur between her toes and pads helped with her traction .  I also used Musher's Secret on her pads to keep them supple, which helped with her traction as well.

Karen and the pugapalooza

Baltimore, Maryland
6 September 2010 - 8:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Thanks for everyone's responses!

@Karen – thank you so much for the information!  I will look into Musher's Secret.  I trim her pad hair every month because of our hard wood floors anyway.  She does have dry pads, so I am concerned about keeping them moist.  I use something called Bow Wow Butter Balm now – shea butter.

Pippin didn't like long flights of stairs before.  We think it was because of her hip surgery when she was a puppy.  Not sure exactly why.  She never jumped up on furniture either.  She would hop on two legs and "ask" to be picked up. She does jump on the bed, but only because I have a wide stool that she jumps onto first as a step.  She would go down stairs and jump off the couch with no problem.  We are going to build a ramp over our back steps that go into the yard.  We were going to do that even before this accident happened because  – 1.  Pippin would hesitate coming in the house going up the stairs 2. We have another Papillon that likes to go really, really, fast down the steps to chase a squirrel; and, 3. We have a shepherd/lab mix that jumps from the first step down onto the concrete EVERY DAY when she goes out thinking there is a squirrel to chase.  We don't need anymore broken legs in this family!

I do realize, however, that Pippin will need to do stairs and that she will need to practice.  But, not our steps inside the house because they are too small and slippery hardwood.  We have a 100 yr. old house that doesn't have modern sized steps so they are scary to begin with. Our front steps though she can practice on.

On The Road

7 September 2010 - 9:27 am

Papillon Pippin said:

...not our steps inside the house because they are too small and slippery hardwood.

You might consider looking into Power Paws Traction Socks for Dogs to see if they have a size that will fit Pippin.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Baltimore, Maryland
7 September 2010 - 3:05 pm

Yes, those are the sock I am going to get for her.  They have them in XXS which is for dogs less than 12#, which she is.

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 158
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1273
Members: 17904
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3