TRIPAWDS: Home to 23142 Members and 2162 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Cherry's Christmas 2009
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
29 December 2009 - 9:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Cherry's Dad said:

1) Remain as positive as possible around …..

2) Remember to treat the spirit as well as the body.  

Written on December 27th

My words are really testing me now.  Remain as positive as possible when I can see the sands of Cherry’s time here with me slipping though my fingers.  I swore that I would find the strength to let her go when necessary and that I would not make her endure any more pain than she did during the recovery and chemotherapy, but I did not want to always remember Christmas 2009 as the date that we lost Cherry.

I turned off the tree lights Christmas night and we made it past Christmas.  She continued to weaken, did not want to eat any of her usual favorites, and I stuffed some modest amount for the very last time.  She is slipping fast.  Just eight days ago, we went to the local Dairy Queen across town for an outing.  All the way across town, she was bouncing around the back seat, her voice of excitement in full force, and smiles that would warm any heart.  We sat for approximately 20 minutes while eating our ice cream treat before reversing the trip home.  While Cherry had plenty of “around the valley” trips, I was always looking for an excuse to extend the trip with some purpose.  However, the results of this trip may have proved devastating because starting the very next day her condition started to deteriorate.  I really wanted to get her past Christmas and even though I started to make arrangements with my local vet office for the final visit, I would do everything possible to get her past Christmas.  Every thing that is except tolerate pain.

The day after Christmas, I had planned to go to the mall to purchase Emily’s anniversary gift.  I know that by the time (mid January), Cherry would have crossed over the rainbow bridge and I would be totally worthless.  However, I waited until mid-morning so that I could give Cherry an “around the valley” trip before going.  Until the very end, I will treat the spirit as well as the body.  I carried her out to the truck, and while she laid on the seat beside me for the entire trip, she clearly loved the ride.  I loved stroking her muzzle for yet one more trip.  The day passed with her eating very little, developing diarrhea, being carried outside when ever necessary, but always able to let me see the love in her eyes.  As I turned off the tree lights, I again gave thanks for a day with my Cherry.

Today, we woke up to extreme fog – the kind of fog that we can get her in the valleys of California – Tule fog.  As Emily finished preparing for Church and her child care there, Cherry got up from the family room, hopped down to the bathroom where Emily was finishing, and promptly began to inform us that she wanted to go too.  Her voice was strong and determined.  This only brought smiles to the two of us since we knew that I would be taking Cherry on a ride as Emily left.  It also signaled that the spirit was intact and thriving.  Cherry had meaning in her life – and was not about to let her weak condition deprive her of one of the loves of her life.  Cherry and her dad made another wonder trip around the valley together.

I will not post this story until Cherry has passed over the Rainbow Bridge, probably Tuesday or Monday.  I hope that her passing will be some what of a surprise those who have not followed her progress on my internet journal.  I hope that as you think back to my posting these last few days, you could not have read between the lines and saw the torture that I was feeling.  I hope that I was successful at being as positive as possible and in treating the spirit as well as the body.

Cherry’s Proud Dad

Added December 29th

As expected, Cherry left her tired battered body with the dignity and class that had defined her entire life.  To the very end, Cherry and I took our trips and it was once more the only place where she would eat what was offered.  To the very end, her spirit was extremely high and that spirit now soars on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge.

[Image Can Not Be Found]

On The Road

29 December 2009 - 10:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Bob, our sincere condolences go out to you and Emily.

We know that sharing these details must be so difficult. And no, we couldn't read between those lines. Other than the fact that you were in the chat the other night (and lord how we kicked ourselves for missing you there!), which I don't believe you have been before, it was not obvious that you were in so much pain over Cherry's decline. Had we known, I think we would have fallen apart. Even in your grief, you were so incredibly giving and supportive to those in need. We cannot thank you enough. But please, let us be there for you now, OK?

Losing Cherry is a huge blow to us all. I don't know what we will do without her amazing resiliency and beauty to comfort us. We shall all take comfort in knowing that she is Spirit Cherry now, and having a great time with all of our angel kids who have gone before her.

Many, many hugs to you. We are deeply sorry.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Wesley Chapel, FL
30 December 2009 - 6:25 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Bob, my tears are flowing for you and Cherry right now... Cry I also had no idea that she was getting worse... I'm so deeply sorry for your loss... Crying

I'm glad that Cherry was able to Celebrate her last Christmas with you and go for her final ride around the valley. You have so many great memories of her, such a beautiful and amazing dog... What a wonderful life she lived with you! 

You are in my thoughts and prayers Bob... I know that you will never, ever forget her! Neither will we!!! Run free Cherry... and say hello to my sweet golden angel Jake!

Angel Jake's Mom

Jake, 10yr old golden retriever (fractured his front right leg on 9/1, bone biopsy revealed osteosarcoma on 9/10, amputation on 9/17) and his family Marguerite, Jacques and Wolfie, 5yr old german shepherd and the newest addition to the family, Nala, a 7mth old Bengal mix kittie. Jake lost his battle on 11/9/2009, almost 8 weeks after his surgery. We will never forget our sweet golden angel… http://jakesjou.....ipawds.com ….. CANCER SUCKS!

Northern Indiana
30 December 2009 - 7:55 am

Bob,

Thank you for sharing your words of love with us, Cherry was a special girl because of the life she lived with you.

I am sending you love and care.......there are no words..............

Ginny & Paris

Grateful for every moment we had with Paris…..no regrets!

Honoring her life by opening our hearts & home to Addy!

Livermore CA
30 December 2009 - 10:24 am

Bob,

I don't know who was stronger--you or Cherry.  I had no idea this was going on and right now, am in shock.  I pray God will give you the strength to celebrate her life, as you said; there is certainly lots to celebrate.  I also pray that He will start to fill in the gaping black hole in your life and give you peace.

Warm hugs to you and Emily

Mary

Cemil and mom Mary, Mujde and Radzi….appreciating and enjoying Today

Cemil's blog

New England
30 December 2009 - 10:27 am

I think it's a given that despite maintaining a positive energy for our tripawds, we're still suffering inside at our losses. There's no reading between the lines needed. We just know how it is, unfortunately... or fortunately.
It's obvious how much Cherry is loved, and how much she will be missed. I think it's a great tribute to our triapwds to always celebrate their lives; and it's a also a great healing process for us mere humans.
But there's no reason why you can't be both happy and sad. It's honest. Let the tears flow and the smiles continue. I know I will.
Be free, Cherry.

Melanie, spirit Peanut, and Bubba.

~*~*~ Peanut is strength, love, and happiness. ~*~*~ 11/30/03 – 12/26/09

Michigan
30 December 2009 - 4:34 pm

Cherry looks absolutely beautiful in front of the Christmas Tree. She looks so strong and proud, I would never guess she would be gone so soon afterwords.

I think I understand why you chose not to talk about her declining health here in the forums, but you have given words of wisdom, comfort and reassurance to so many people here, I just wish we were able to do the same for you. There you were, every day, giving support to those of us who had questions or concerns, all while you and your family were going through hell.

You are an amazing person and an important part of this community.

Michelle

My heart lives at Rainbow Bridge
30 December 2009 - 5:30 pm

Bob, this is by far the best tribute I've read.  The tears have not stopped today.  Every time I open the forum, they start again.  Every time I read how much you loved her, they fall for both of you. 

You have displayed extraordinary courage as you prepared for the final journey.  Cherry must be proud to have tought you so very well.

Shanna & Spirit Trouble ~ Trouble gained her wings 3/16/2011, a 27 1/2 month cancer survivor, tail wagging. RIP sweetheart, you are my heart and soul.  Run free at Rainbow Bridge.
The November Five - Spirits Max, Cherry, Tika, Trouble & Nova. 11/2008 - 3/2013 An era ends as Queen Nova crossed the Bridge.

Arizona
30 December 2009 - 6:40 pm

Cherry looks so regal laying by the Christmas Tree. She was beautiful, totally loved. You and Emily were wonderful parents to her. She will be so missed but she did bring so much love and happiness into your lives, you were blessed to have her and she was so very blessed to have you. I for one could not read between the lines that she was failing, you as always stayed postive. Thank You for your strength and support even when your heart was breaking.

Jo Ann & Tasha

Tasha 8 years old, First cancer diagnosis 6/26/09, Last cancer diagnosis 9/26/09, Amputation 10/01/09, Loving our girl moment by moment.

Tasha lost her battle and became my Angel on May 4 2011. Forever in my heart….

East Bay, CA
30 December 2009 - 6:54 pm

Beautiful picture. Beautifully written.

May 2001-Jan 21, 2010.....I'm a dog and I'm AWESOME!..... Always.

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 156
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17894
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: