Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat
Tripawds is the place to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.
JUMP TO FORUMS ↓
Join The Tripawds Community
Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:
Get the new book by the Tripawds founders for life lessons learned from their Chief Fun Officer Jerry G. Dawg! Download the e-book, and find fun Be More Dog apparel and gifts in the Be More Dog Bookstore.
Our beautiful girl Presley will be turning 2 on April 1st, 2021. She started limping Christmas Eve and we got her in to see the vet the following week. He gave her anti-inflamatory meds which seemed to help for about a week or so and then she started limping again. We then had xrays taken and it showed that something was eating away at the top of her femor bone in her right hind leg. Radiologist thought Osteosarcoma was possible after ruling out Valley Fever or infection. With the vets advice we decided to get her let amputated (She was in pain and wasn’t even using it anymore). That was 4 weeks ago. Last week we finally got the pathology report and it was not good. Hemangiosarcoma is her diagnosis. The vet said all the margins were clear. Her chest x-ray and heart both look good and all of her blood work was normal pre-surgery. We will be getting an abdominal ultrasound in about a month to see if it has spread. From what I read, HSA is a highly aggressive cancer that doesn’t seem to react well to treatments.
If anyone has any advice or if their fur baby has been treated for this horrible diagnosis with any success, please let me know. From everything I read, she has 4-6 months?? We are just heartbroken! We are looking for any hope!!!
25 January 2021
I completely feel for you right now.
i don’t have anything to offer other than we’re going through the same thing.
my Juno started limping right after Christmas Day. After emergency visit with no results on the 1st of January we finally got all of test scheduled and the news that it was cancer on the 20th of January/ amputation followed on the 26th.
His cancer is undetermined – which is making me crazy- but it was a sarcoma that they removed and they narrowed it down to hemangiosarcoma , osteosarcoma or histiosarcoma. All awful and fast moving. It was also in the local lymph nodes. Which is apparently a worse sign snd they said he has microscopic spread. Even though it’s not showing in any X-rays of chest, ultra sound of organs, etc.
i have a bad feeling that it’s hemangiosarcoma. He’s getting small bumps and lumps all over him now. They were not present at time of amputation. So something is moving fast.
it’s incredibly heartbreaking because he’s still full of life. Enjoys our days, eats, and doesn’t seem sick at all.
im not sure what to say. But we have our Juno on K9 immunity plus and a CBD oil called endo blend by veterinary recommended solutions. We’re hoping it slows the process however we decided not to do chemo.
i wish you much luck and we are thinking about you and Presley.
I’m so glad you started a new topic. So as I mentioned earlier, it’s so important to talk to an oncologist ASAP so you can learn about all your options. I wouldn’t wait until that ultrasound, there may be something you can do now.
Even if you decide not to do any treatment except palliative pain relief, at least you will know you left no stone unturned. If you’d like us to help you find an onco vet let us know.
Meanwhile I also recommend The Dog Cancer Survival Guide , which is full of great info that can answer many questions about HSA.
And finally, remember that your sweet Presley is still the same dog, and wants nothing more than for her people to make the most of every day with her. Do your best to stay upbeat, as hard as that may be, it’s the best medicine for her!
Thank you so much for your replies! My daughter and I were both saying that we should possibly find an oncologist in our area prior to the ultrasound just to see what options we can possibly do now. It is my understanding that HSA is a blood vessel cancer and it doesn’t seem to respond to chemo/treatment well, or it quickly builds immunity to it. We are located in Southern California, Temecula, CA to be exact (zip code 92592), if you could recommend an Oncologist that would be so awesome!
We are loving on Presley and spoiling her everyday!! After reading so many blogs about HSA I feel somewhat blessed that her HSA landed in her bone (although our vet suspects it was in the soft tissue and spread to her bone), anyhow, I feel blessed in a way that we know her condition as many with HSA don’t know it until rupture occurs. At leaset we know that our time could be limited with her and we are not taking any day(s) for granted. I also hear that HSA is a silent (painless) cancer and for that, I feel blessed as well!
Thank you for all of your advice and for recommending the Dog Cancer Survival Guide , I will look into that right a way!
Jjuno, I pray you get the answers you are looking for soon and I really hope that Juno’s diagnosis isn’t as bad as what they think it might be! I hope they are wrong!! Thank you so much for your recommendations on K9 Immunity and the CBD oil! I am going to get those asap!
Reading this blog has really helped and given me slivers of hope, here and there. As I mentioned, Prelsely is so young, not even 2 yet!! It just breaks my heart. She is the 4th Golden we have owened and she is one of the sweetest, smartest and most gentle one we have had. (Which is saying a lot because all of our goldens have been) but she is really something special!!
27 January 2021
Very sorry to hear of Presley’s hemangiosarcoma diagnosis. We had a dog go through that 2 years ago. His had already spread when it was detected but we did make the most of our time with him.
Sounds like Presley’s case is different and you are doing everything you can. An oncologist consult is definitely a good idea.
We were prescribed a chinese herb, Yunnan Baiyao by the specialist and we think it did help with the bleeding episodes. Here is an article from 2014 that is worth a read: https://www.civ…..O_2014.pdf
Sending you and Presley lots of support.
22 February 2013
Jistt wanted to add some s”trewtment options ” that others have found beneficial. Most in the “mushroom “family.
One is “Turkey Tail. And YES, as YumYum’s mom notrd above, Yunnan baiyao is another. Some may be similar in properties, but with different names. Appcaps and K9 Immunity may be beneficial overall.
I would think your area is loaded with reputable holistic/alternative professionals who can offer several supportive therapies.
Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!
Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!
Thank you all so much for your replies! I ordered the K9 yesterday along with the Apocaps that was discussed in the article! I pray that we can somehow prevent the spread of this horrible cancer. Or at least slow the spread!
Our paws are crossed too! You just never know how things will turn out, so stay pawsitive and know that you are doing your absolute best for Presley. Keep us posted OK?