TRIPAWDS: Home to 23132 Members and 2161 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Teddy, New Tripawd: 12 yrs old and 170+lbs
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Teddys Mom
8 November 2010 - 1:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I'm not sure how to reach Rosie's mom, as this is my first post .... but i hope all is going very well with Rosie.   Both Rosie and her parents have been through a LOT!  I commend you all!

My nine year old 155 lb Newfie had his front leg amputated October 7, 2010.  He was 180 lbs, went down to 172 lbs for quite a few months, then when he started limping around he started losing weight ( and i had him on less food to bring his wght down as well) and came down to 155 lb.  i have a feeling he may be down another 5-10 lbs now.  My handsome Teddy had bone cancer - a giant cell sarcomoa - which is rare.  I have hopes it is benign as can sometimes be the case with the giant cell version i understand.  The vet didnt' send the entire leg or forearm for the pathologist to get a better idea of the cancers advancement.  Sometimes the pathologist can give a general timeframe for the life of an animal by seeing how far it has spread.  From the analysis of the tissue he did receive, he said the rate it was growing was very slow ... all good signs.  Before the surgery, Teds blood work and lungs were good too.  Seeing Ted trying to get his weight around on 3 legs, learning how to walk, making noise dives, and laying there exhausted about killed me.  A month later though, that big guy is surprising me.  He is getting back to his old self.  A WEEK after his surgery he jumped up in the van by himself.  He LOVES to go for rides.  But getting him out .... thats not as easy.  I built a strong wood ramp with slip proof guards on it and he was chicken to use it.  I think he's scared because there are no sides and sure enough when i did manage to get him to come down it, his hind leg slipped off the side.  His eyesight isn't as good as it used to be either. He'd rather jump out without it.  I fear he'll hurt himself. I try to park close to curbs and grass where he has only a foot down to jump.  If anyone has any suggestions for a ramp I'm all ears. i built a ramp for the back door which I think is ideal .... and so far, coaxing him with fav treats and laying them at the top of th ramp gets him up there.  EVENTUALLY.  I let him go at his own pace.  The winters are extreme here and i sure want him comfortable coming into the house.  He definitely loves it outside.  He likes to come in on occasion but gets so warm.  I didn't think he'd be able to do stairs at all, but at moms house he walked up her two steps to the landing at the back door.  And DOWN!  I was shocked.

I know it sounds like he is doing wonderful ... but through it all his poor legs, all 3, are stiff and building new muscle. Some days are better than others.  He does baby steps with his hind legs, a hop at a time for the most part unless something rev's him up - like me playing with him or him chasing our cockapoo brother who i think he feels he's in competition with somehow!  Then he can RUN!

I was wondering what Rosies mom thought about the Cosequin product for Rosie.  Did it help at all - before you tried the Chinese herbs.  And are the Chinese herbs working?  Is Rosie on anything else for stiffness or pain?  Ted was on "Zeel" and is now on Theel, a natural "aspirin" 3-4 X day, GDP 4X day and 4-8 alfalfa tablets/day.  I also give him cetyl-M which seems to help a lot and liquid hyaluronic acid from KV Vet.com.  I had his hips xrayed about 3-4 years ago and they told me he had very mild hip dysplasia.  I should rule anything further out I guess.  I'm just financiially cleaned out.   I wish I could help him around but he is stubborn and stops in his tracks if i hold his collar, put a towel under his tummy or try taking my canvas firewood carrier which has 2 handles on top and wrapped it under his tummy to help him move forward.  I don't think he would appreciate a harness around him either. He does thrive on me being strong and letting HIM know HE is strong and loved.  He's my "BIG BOY!" He does sleep a lot more and rest which has been all understandable. His body from head to tail has gone through changes.  But he still gets barkie, goofie, and shows he's the king of the roost yet!   I do believe our other two family members, the little 6 yr old Cock a Poo and 3 year old female Landseer Newfie make him do things he wouldn't have otherwise.  He gets playful with them and is always watching what they are up to.  I am single, and i tell you, it seems like a lot of work.  i think the emotional, cheering on, and worrying, and making sure they're comfortable, cooking good food for them (along with the kibble) is wearing me out!  They eat better than i do most days. I know.  Its sad to say.  Its hard to take the time to take care of yourself sometimes.  I dread the winter and shoveling and making sure a path to Teds big, blanket-filled den in the lean-to on the back of the garage is cleared and the pavement is not icy, and not getting our exercise like we do when its nice out.

Thanks a MILLION to TRIPAWDS and the invaluable support for the hearts and minds of family members considering or going through amputation.  It was the comments on TRIPAWDs in regards to older, senior dogs doing well on 3 legs that helped me make that tough decision.  That and my neighbor boy who while petting Teddy, not knowing i was contemplating amputation, said "He's just not ready to go yet ...."

Las Vegas, Nevada
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
8 November 2010 - 10:38 pm

Welcome Tedd and mom!

I don't want to confuse you but I moved your post.  Not because you had it in a wrong place but because it would get lost and I want to ensure you got the answers and support you deserve.

I'm so very sorry about Teddy but it actually does sound like he is doing well!  Others here have giant breed sized dogs and they can give you lots of tips. 

Welcome to tripawd.com we know it's not where you would like to be but we'll try to help you through this difficult time.

Comet's mom

Her Retired AvatarComet - 1999 to 2011

She departed us unexpectedly  January 23, 2011 at the age of 12 1/2.

She was born with a deformed front leg and a tripawd all of her life.

8 November 2010 - 10:42 pm

Welcome to you and Teddy.

My girl JD was 90+ pounds and I had a ramp for her way before her cancer presented. She had arthritis for years (and was on Deramaxx )and I didn't want her legs taking the impact of jumping from the car. When she became a Tripawd, I was sure glad to have the ramp, but as you describe, it can be scary for them. It is disappointing to hear that you think a harness would not help. That way you will be walking right alongside the ramp and providing support for Teddy. Lots of Tripawds wear one all the time, maybe worth a try.

Good luck to you and Teddy as you make the needed adjustments to keep him safe.

Spirit JD's mom

JD

One Tough Girl

(1999-2010)

-Diagnosed with osteosarcoma of her left front leg –

-Amputation July 23 2010 –

-The cancer didn't get her, but she is gone-

-She fought the cancer and loved life till bloat brought her down August 29th, 2010-

Now she watches over her mom and two new sisters, the Quad-Paws Serena and Maya

8 November 2010 - 10:50 pm

With regards to the harness, Chloe too was hesitant at first.  When we were trying to relearn going up stairs together (harder for her since she is a rear amp), she would NOT budge if I tried to help her.  She wanted to do it on her own, so I let her.  

Funny thing is, now that she wears a harness pretty much every time we go on a walk she lets me help her up the stairs that lead from the beach back to the main street.  Even though she can do stairs on her own, this particular flight has 30 stairs and after a 30 min walk, I don't want her to be too pooped after walking up the stairs to walk the remaining 7 min back home. 

Just something to consider! Good Luck!

-Chloe's mom

Chloe became a rear amp tripawd on 7-29-10. Another tumor was removed on front leg 2-20-14. Found 3rd tumor on neck 2-2015, but she's still kicking cancer's butt at age 14. Chloe's blog

On The Road

8 November 2010 - 11:02 pm

Teddy & Co,

Do we have helpful members here or what? Thanks Comet, for making sure Teddy's got his own topic. Teddy & Co., be sure to register as users so your posts appear right away and don't require moderation.

We're glad you decided to join us, as we especially love inspawrational stories of giant breed Tripawds. Did you see this video of Spirit Tripawd Oslo? You can catch up on his journey here.

One of the greatest lessons we learn from this experience is, that our dogs persist despite the challenges that life on three legs brings them. They are heroes and inspirations when it comes to laughing in the face of adversity!

As you mentioned, making after-care decisions is difficult when money's tight. Please don't feel badly about not being able to afford all of the things you really want to do. Most of us here can relate to that.

Always remember that Teddy is grateful for all you've done so far, and anything more is icing on the cake. What matters is not how much money you spend to try to help him, but that you live each day together in hoppiness and laughter, appreciating every moment you have together, pain-free and loving life.  It's all about quality over quantity when it comes to cancer.

To answer your question about Cosequin, check out our Tripawds Nutrition Blog for some information.

We look forward to following along with Teddy's journey! Keep up the great work.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Northeastern PA
8 November 2010 - 11:27 pm

It sounds like Teddy is doing pretty well. I hope he continues to improve.

I also know what you mean about not wanting help...Zack is almost 14, and weighed about 70 lbs at the time of amputation (he had been about 10 lbs heavier two years ago, but we put him on a diet due to occasional hip pain when he overdid with jumping to greet people!). As soon as 3-4 days post-op, he was able to handle the 2-3 steps in and out of the house, but going to our upstairs is still a challenge. We bought a harness, but never really got to use it more than once or twice - it seemed to knock off his rhythm & he became totally uncoordinated (not to mention the look of mortification that he needed help!)

Because of the timing of a vacation and not wanting the dog-sitter to have to worry about the steps, we just started to go upstairs every night for bed (we put the boxspring/mattress on the floor so that Zack doesn't have as far to jump down) So, for the stairs, we just kind-of put our hands behind his butt for a little support, and he's doing a little bit more on his own each day as he's building up those muscles. Maybe you can do something similar with Teddy's chest on his way down the ramp?

Zack also seems to experience some stiffness in his remaining rear leg. His front ones are pretty good, but the back one always seems 'tight' when we work on stretching it - because he hops on it so much & doesn't get to extend it nearly as much as he used to.

One more thing - I had been cooking up hamburger to mix in with Zack's kibble (and of course his sister Izzy needed some as well, lest I show preferential treatment!), but I switched to using canned chicken breast which is WAY easier. A 6-pack of the large cans from Sam's Club costs about $10 and lasts me about 2 months for the 2 dogs & 1 cat - cheaper and healthier than hamburger and well worth the extra expense for the time it saves me.

I'm sure Teddy will continue to improve a little more each day. And, hang in there - just remember that the love you show your 3 pups comes back more than three-fold and makes it all worth it.

Zack, King of Dogs, 1996 to 2010

Zack lived a full 14 years, even to the end.

The joy and memories he provided us will last a lifetime.

Surviving him is his sister, Izzy, a 12-year-old boxer mix quadpawd.
And the latest addition, Zula, an 11-month-old pit bull mix tripawd.

My heart lives at Rainbow Bridge
9 November 2010 - 4:02 am

Hi and welcome to you and Teddy.  I don't have much advise for a giant breed, but I know a little about being 12 years old, needing to lose weight, and being arthritic.  All are challenges, and as time goes on, you will find what works for you.  I will say the harness (Ruffwear) was a blessing to us.  I went more than a year without one, and now I can't figure out what I was thinking.  It allows you to give some support and stability without having to actually bear a lot of the weight.  It made a world of difference getting Trouble into and out of the vehicle.  She doesn't wear hers all the time, only when I take her somewhere or when we take a walk outside of the yard. 

Shanna & Spirit Trouble ~ Trouble gained her wings 3/16/2011, a 27 1/2 month cancer survivor, tail wagging. RIP sweetheart, you are my heart and soul.  Run free at Rainbow Bridge.
The November Five - Spirits Max, Cherry, Tika, Trouble & Nova. 11/2008 - 3/2013 An era ends as Queen Nova crossed the Bridge.

Greater Western Washington area
9 November 2010 - 6:44 am

Hi Teddy's mom,

I have a newfie mix, but he is much smaller than your boy.  He lost his right front leg August 30th.  I think the hardest part of this for my boy was the phantom pain he experienced.  He does well in walking but gets tired pretty quickly.  He is my 99 lb lap dog now.  I am sorry you are having to go through this with Teddy, but since you are, this is a great site for info and support.

There is another newfie mix on here too, Coops dad.  Oslo was on here before I came, but I learned alot by watching his video's and reading up about him.

I wish you the best and hope if you get time you might post a picture of Teddy.  I love the newfoundlands!

Elizabeth and Sammy

Diagnosed with osteosarcoma in the right front leg 8/23/10,

leg fractured 8/27/10,

leg amputated 8/30/10

http://sammyand.....pawds.com/

I couldn't begin to say how special Sammy is to us.  Living and laughing with and loving this wonderful boy is priceless.

9 November 2010 - 9:25 am

Welcome big Teddy and family,

My boy Fortis isn't consider a giant breed but he was a lean 150-155lbs before his amputation back in February of this year. He and I have both had a wonderful year. The cancer has done little to impact this. Fortis is a rear leg amputee and has needed pelvic support. I know Teddy is a front amputee but you mention his hips. If his hips or knees start to give him trouble you might consider the harness I have used for the past 9 months. My review on the harness wasn't the most positive but the harness has been a instrumental tool for us. I know of no other product on the market that gives the pelvic support this harness gives. I have gone through 3 of them in the 9 months since Fortis' amputation (1 was a prototype). When you think about it, that is roughly $400/9mons = $45/month. This is a small expense compared to supplements, medications etc. But in my opinion, one that has obvious tangible benefits if needed.

Wishing Teddy and his family all the best. smiley

Fortis'Dad

On The Road

9 November 2010 - 9:59 am

Welcome and thanks for sharing Teddy's story! You'll find lots of advice and recovery tips in Jerry's Required Reading List. More tips and fast answers to the most common amputation questions – including some advice about giant breeds – can be found in the new Tripawds e-book, Three Legs and a Spare.

Tripawds Founders Jim and Rene
tripawds.com | tripawds.org | bemoredog.net | triday.pet

Livermore CA
9 November 2010 - 11:45 pm

Hi Teddy's Mom

My Cemil is a front-leg amputee (left front) and is 148# now (was 156 with 4 legs).  He's a little younger than Teddy and so he doesn't have as much trouble with arthritis or any other stiffness, but I can tell you what we did instead of a ramp, which he absolutely wouldn't use.  I had a friend of mine make a big box that he uses like a step.  I call it his mini-deck.  It's about 30" x  40" and 10" high, which is half the height of the tailgate of the truck.  He hops up onto the step, and then hops into the truck.  Reverse that getting out.  Actually now, since he's almost 2 years past his amputation, he can jump in without it, but I insist on him using it to get out.  That is the best piece of equipment we have.  He refused the harness too, and he's too tall for me to help him with it anyway, so we don't use one.

He was just over 3 years old when diagnosed with osteosarcoma; now he's five.  I give him one daily Flex-a-min as a supplement, which has glucosamine hcl and chondroitin sulfate with vitamin D and MSM and some other stuff; also salmon oil, about 4000 mg per day, to keep him moving well.  He's young enough that so far, it's working.

The big guys are a little more of a challenge, but they sure get a lot of attention when you're out and about.  Surely Teddy will enjoy that!!  I just let Cemil hop along at his own pace and he does fine.  He rests when he's tired--rests a lot more than he used to, but he uses a lot more energy getting around than he used to, too.

It really sounds like Teddy's doing great. Post pictures when you can.

Mary

Cemil and mom Mary, Mujde and Radzi….appreciating and enjoying Today

Cemil's blog

Mount Pleasant, Ia
11 November 2010 - 9:58 pm

Hi Teddys mom , and welcome! I am Coopsdad, I have one of the other Newfie mixes here on the group. Reading your post was like reading a mirror image of Cooper. Cooper lost his left front leg to cancer. Cooper weighed 144 when we adopted him and he seemed a bit on the heavy side judging by his breathing and the effort he had to make to move. We cut his intake a bit and got him down to a nice 129 pounds. This year after his limping started he dropped to 119. After surgery he was 117 and I believe he may be a bit lighter after his second surgery. I know exactly what you mean when you say Teddy locks up if you try to help him, Cooper drops dead weight and locks up if I take his collar to help him. I have found that if I take his collar but do not pull on it to help him he will begin to move, and then he will accept very light pressure on his collar. I have had exceptional luck with the walk about rear support harness I bought for him and I really believe the ruffwear harness will be a big help to him when his incision heals. Is your big boy a slower mover anyway? Cooper has never been more than laid back and it caused him a lot of difficulty learning to balance , because he wants to walk too slowly to keep his balance and did a lot of nose dives. He is getting around pretty good now - he had his first surgery October 26th. I also love the Newfies! they are such gentle giants! and so full of love! Good luck with Teddy!

Cooper and Coopsdad

Coopsdad/ Kenneth Blackburn

http://cooper.t.....ipawds.com

the monkeydogs only THINK they have invaded the tripawd state

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 242
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272