Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat
Tripawds is the place to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.
JUMP TO FORUMS ↓
Join The Tripawds Community
Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:
Get the new book by the Tripawds founders for life lessons learned from their Chief Fun Officer Jerry G. Dawg! Download the e-book, and find fun Be More Dog apparel and gifts in the Be More Dog Bookstore.
13 February 2020
Our 11-year-old Airdale, Ginger, was just diagnosed with bone cancer on 2/7. Yesterday, 2/12, we had her CT scan and met with an oncologist. The cancer has not gone into her lungs yet, and she is a candidate for amputation or radiation and chemo treatment with maybe an amputation later. The Previcox seems to be controlling her pain for now.
If any one has opted for the radiation and chemo route before amputation, we’d love to hear from you.
This is a wonderful site. Thank you!
25 April 2007
Hi Ginger’s parents, welcome. I’m sorry you had to join our club but glad you found us. We have some information that can help.
It sounds like your oncologist is recommending palliative care as a way to avoid amputation? That’s totally fine, every dog is different. In our experience dogs can go quite a long time with palliative care, and if it’s in your budget then why not? But also know that in most cases, the tumor returns and amputation or sadly, euthanasia is the next step. So, here are some informational posts about taking the palliative care route:
And more information from dogs who have done radiation therapy:
More search results with “Stereotactic Radiation Therapy”
Let us know what other questions you have and how we can help OK?
30 November 2019
Hello Ginger parents. Amputation is never an easy decision. When we got the diagnosis I did a lot of research and contemplated cyberknife and other palliative options over amputation. After reading a few successful stories here we decided to move forward with amputation. For us it came down to what we thought was going to give her the best quality time and best chance to fight this horrible disease. The limb spare options sounded promising but I also read about cancer coming back and dogs breaking their legs because the cancer had eaten the bone away. Is a very personal decision and there is no right or wrong. Whatever option you decide to move forward will be the best one for your family and Ginger. Maya is doing chemo and so far the only side effect is nausea and fatigue a few days after. We don’t know if is working but hoping for the best