TRIPAWDS: Home to 18793 Members and 1942 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is the place to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.
JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

  • Instant post approval.
  • Private messages to members.
  • Subscribe to favorite topics.
  • Live Chat and much more!

REGISTER   |   LOG IN

Be More DogWhat does it mean to Be More Dog?

Find out in Be More Dog: Learning to Live in the Now by Tripawds founders Rene and Jim. Learn life lessons learned from their Chief Fun Officer Jerry G. Dawg! Get the book and find fun gifts in the Be More Dog Bookstore.

Please consider registering
Guest
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Advice and support new dx
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Forum Posts: 1
Member Since:
20 September 2021
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1
22 September 2021 - 3:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hi all! I’m so lucky to have found this group! I am mom to two human kiddos and a 4 year old 90 pound Mastiff/Pitt mix named Baylee.

A couple of weeks ago we noticed lameness and limping in her right hind leg. Initially I wrote it off, called our vet no openings till the following Saturday. No biggie. The next day her joint is swollen and it’s worse. Called our vet again. Again told they can’t get her in. So I take it upon myself to call another vet in town. Needless to say we got the dreaded diagnosis after a bone biopsy 9/2 last Tuesday 9/14.

Talked it over with our vet. Chest X-ray looked good during biopsy, he explained the aggressive nature etc. we decided to opt for amputation and chemo to give her the best chance at a pain free life where we can all enjoy each other as much as possible till either she is healthy again or she gets worse and she is ready to go. Scheduled amputation for today 9/22.

We had a planned and paid for family vacation last week where we opted to board her at the vets office while we were gone. Better safe than sorry. She has been routinely taking Vetprofen and gabapentin for pain since 9/2. Picked her up Monday, noticed extremely dark urine. Thought maybe she was dehydrated she tends to stress when we are gone and refuse to eat or drink. She seems fine otherwise. Eats and drinks normally since home, playful at times.

Yesterday got home from work, fed her afternoon food and let her out noticed again the very dark brown urine. Was able to use a paper towel to dab area in yard it appears pinkish and brown. Called vet. He said no biggie she’s coming in for surgery tomorrow discontinue Vetprofen and they would check labs and urine today prior. This morning took her in they performed all those things. Urine is pretty horrible doc said lots of WBC, blood and bacteria. He wants to wait on surgery till she has been on antibiotics. Good deal.

Here’s my question though. Her labs came back with very high liver enzymes. Her liver was fine on 9/2 when they did labs prior to biopsy. Vet is stumped. Says it may be something going on with liver, doesnt want to rule out metastasis but doesn’t make sense since it usually goes to lungs first, also thinks it could have been the Vetprofen and hopefully since she’s off they will get back to normal.

He does say if it’s not then we may have to do a liver ultrasound to see if there is something going on, and if so amputation plan may have to be revised because if it’s gone to her liver there isn’t much else we can do.

Has anyone ever had experience with Vetprofen or liver problems in newly diagnosed pups with clear chest X-rays? I’ve been researching like crazy of course but could use some been there done that wisdom. Thank you so much! 

The Rainbow Bridge



Forum Posts: 30837
Member Since:
25 April 2007
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2
22 September 2021 - 8:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hi and welcome! Your future posts won't need to wait for approval so post away. We are glad you found us too, sorry you had to though. What a roller coaster you've been on!

It's awesome that you decided to seek vet help elsewhere, and fast. YAY! You are a pawesome advocate for Baylee.

Honestly, it's hard to say what can be happening because each situation is different. It does sound like it could certainly be due to the Vetprofen, and hopefully things will level out so she can get the amputation done. Although I can't think of a situation here where a dog had such high liver enzymes prior to amputation surgery that it was delayed, what I can tell you is that I also can't think of a situation where osteosarcoma went to the liver. So I think your vet's plan sounds totally appropriate and hopefully you won't need that ultrasound.

Take things one day at a time or you'll make yourself bonkers calling Dr. Google. Did your vet say how long he wants to wait to check her labs? And is she on any other kind of pain control right now for the bone cancer pain? Ideally she should be but with the liver issues I'm not sure how your vet would handle pain control in this case. 

It's better to hop on three legs than to limp on four.™
Latest Tripawds News
Read my story here.

Support the Tripawds Foundation!

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 63
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1160
Members: 13842
Moderators: 2
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 4
Forums: 23
Topics: 17252
Posts: 241252
Administrators: admin, jerry, jim
Moderators: betaman, krun15
Tripawds is brought to you by Tripawds.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG