TRIPAWDS: Home to 24248 Members and 2166 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
RIP King Carl Gustav 2002 - 2015
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Virginia

sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3 January 2015 - 10:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Ohhhh noooooo Kathi!!! NO!!! When I first saw the title I wasnt quite sure....but I knew there was only one Gus!

I am soooooo sad for you...for us....for Murphy! This is just ripping mynheartnout of my chest!! Im sooooo sorry!

To find solace right now in the way he went is too hard....but you will...you will. I am glad Murphy was able to realize what happened. I agree that it helps them to u understand.

The picture you painted of Gus this morning...Gus being Gus and doing what he loves to do....yeah, I'm sobbing like crazy but smiling knowing he did things Gus's way! You posted a video one time of the boys being fed breakfast by hubby....I loved that video! It was either waffles or pancakes that he was sharing with them. They were soooo polite...so well behaved!!!!

Gus was such a good teacher for Murphy, such a good role model! A good role model for all of us!!

We are all in shock, so I cant imagine what you are going through. I was owned by a dog, Donut, when something similar happened. There is NOTHING that can be done. I guess Gus just decided he was NOT going to let the brutalities of ole age devour him one slow and painful bite at a time. He was going out while at the top of his game! Gus wasn't going to be doing any "Granddaddy bumps" going up and down stairs in some stupid harness. Harnesses are for tripawds, not guadpawds like Gus!!

The void for you and Gary will seem unbearable at first....suffocating, gut wrenchingly unbearable. And there isn't a darn thing any of us can do or say to lessen the hurt. Gus will make his presence known. Gus will let you know he isnokay. And the thousands and thousands of splendid memories you and Gus shared will eventually help to push the heartache away....slowly. Gus wants you to remember the good times! Gus wants you to be happy!

Maybe you, Garry and Murphy can just site quietly together. Visualize something Gus did that made you smile....each of you share a memory that made you laugh out loud...maybe it was eating his food and Murphy's too......maybe it was his silly grin and never ending wagging tail....wrap yourselves up in those loving memories and tell Murphy how much Gus loved...and tolerated him!

I DO know that Happy Hannah, along with all the Bridge residents, prepare a welcome basket with cake, ice cream, steak, waffles and pancakes with syrup! I'm pretty sure she doesn't include one single green bean!!

I'm sending you every ounce of love I have tonight to you a d Garry and hugging you with my heart.

Sally and My Eternal Light Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle too

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

Virginia

3 January 2015 - 10:46 pm

2015-01-04-00-35-44_zpsojbz01ch.jpgImage Enlarger

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

Idaho
4 January 2015 - 8:16 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Thank you, Daniela, Karen and Rene. And to my dear, dear Sally...although you didn't realize it, the thing I told Gus as he raced for the bridge was that he should go and find Hannah. The basket of goodies would make anyone happy. But you do realize, don't you, that Gus really did like those green beans!

With much love to all of you,
Kathi, Garry and Murphy

Murphy is a five year old Lab/Chessie cross. He was hit by a car on 10/29/12 and became a Tripawd on 11/24/12. On 2/5/13, he had a total hip replacement on his remaining back leg. He has absolutely no idea that he has only three legs!

UPDATE: Murphy lived his life to the fullest, right up until an aggressive bone lesion took him across the Rainbow Bridge on April 9, 2015 and he gained his membership in the April Angels. Run free, my love. You deserve it!

4 January 2015 - 11:50 am

Kathi and family, heartfelt sympathies from all of us for your loss, may Gus look after you all, he'll always be in your hearts and memories.

Alana and pack

------------------------------------------------

Hugs, the Tripawd Coons: Cooper (Redbone Coonhound) and Cinta (Maine Coon Cat) and the Quadripawd Colby (Golden Retriever).

Read all about our adventures here:

http://cooperci.....ipawds.com

4 January 2015 - 12:38 pm

Kathi,

I was so shocked to read about Gus. I really enjoyed his escapades with Murphy. I know he was an elderly gentleman but still couldn't believe he passed on. I hope you and hubby realize what a wonderful life you gave Gus and that he is looking down upon you with much gratitude.

Penny and her Gang

Idaho
4 January 2015 - 1:49 pm

Thank you, Penny and Alana.

Just an interesting side note...

If there was ever a doubt in our minds about whether Murphy was aware of Gus' passing, it has been wiped out in one fell swoop. Gus was always the alpha dog, and Murphy never questioned his status. He would never, ever mark on top of Gus' spots and always backed off when Gus told him to.

Just now I looked out the window and saw the strangest sight. Murphy had gone potty and was jumping around in a circle when he finished. After about two seconds I figured out that he was doing that dirt kicking motion, but since he has only one back leg, he was hopping around in a circle like a pegleg sailor. We both laughed and laughed at him. Garry said he noticed that Murphy seemed to be marking everything he could find when they went on their walk earlier.

Apparently there is a new alpha dog in the house.

Kathi and Murphy

Murphy is a five year old Lab/Chessie cross. He was hit by a car on 10/29/12 and became a Tripawd on 11/24/12. On 2/5/13, he had a total hip replacement on his remaining back leg. He has absolutely no idea that he has only three legs!

UPDATE: Murphy lived his life to the fullest, right up until an aggressive bone lesion took him across the Rainbow Bridge on April 9, 2015 and he gained his membership in the April Angels. Run free, my love. You deserve it!

Virginia

4 January 2015 - 4:22 pm

Okay Kath...only anoter TABLET GENUIS would understand this...I go to hit subit reply....and its nust not happening....goes to word press error sayingnI was denied access...wasn't signed in...BS!!!!

HOWEVER, either Elizabeth or Deb showed me how to do a screen saver shot....then I postnit on ohotobucket...then I put it on copy link....anyway...here's what I was trying to write ......aybe....

Virginia

4 January 2015 - 4:27 pm

Screenshot_2015-01-04-18-14-51_zpszkyhqsdf.jpgImage Enlarger

Idaho
4 January 2015 - 8:15 pm

Oh, Sally. You make me laugh. Please, please, please do NOT give dear old Dad any ideas! We don't live in the country.

Kathi and Murphy

Norene, TN
5 January 2015 - 12:24 pm

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I enjoyed the video of Gus and Murphy eating the birthday snack. My heart goes out to you and your pack. I'm so happy that your Gus had a full life of love and spoilage. 

Peace be with you.

pam

Harmony became a Tripawd on 10/21/14 (MCT). She left us way too soon on 11/1/14.

"We miss you so much; our love, our heart, our Harmony."

- Pam, Ron and Melody, Meesha, Doublestuff and Mariah Carey

Southwestern Ontario, Canada
5 January 2015 - 1:46 pm

What a loveable mug... I know that the Bridge could use another Gentlman up there to keep some order.. especially with that goofball Franklin running around like a kid in a candy store.  After all.. how could you not go crazy with all those pig ears, milkbones, hambones and chocolates at your paw-tips?  Gus will keep them in control.. if only for a little while!!

Our hearts are heavy... when our four legged members run onto their new adventure.. it's misery, it's painful, it's total heartache, it's devestation.....   it's love.

Of course Murphy knows he has big paw prints to fill.. and now he has taken over and will do a fine job I am sure..!!! Funny, when we let Franklin run free.. we brought Maggie with us.. she sat behind him.. she knew.  They know.  They understand pack and death in pack.  I think it's worse when you leave them at home.. and they keep wondering when their buddy is coming back??

When Franklin was gone, she just sat there till we were ready to go.  we got up and she walked around him.. normally she would have stepped over him... lol   

Our hugs to you and yours.... 

Christine... with Franklin in her heart♥

Franklin, he was the Happiest Dog on Three Legs! Diagnosed 09/26/2012 with Osteosarcoma, amputated 12/4/2012.  Had a wonderful 5 1/2 months painfree until he ran for the Bridge on 5/15/2013.  Always in my heart, and always a guardian angel of my pack...   You can follow his Tripawd Adventures, before and after, in my blog, Frank'n'Farter!

My heart lives at Rainbow Bridge
5 January 2015 - 5:01 pm

I am truly sorry for your loss.  Each tripawd warrior has a special story and lives in a special place in all hearts.  They live here forever and always.

RIP sweet Gustav.  Run free at Rainbow Bridge.

Shanna & Spirit Trouble ~ Trouble gained her wings 3/16/2011, a 27 1/2 month cancer survivor, tail wagging. RIP sweetheart, you are my heart and soul.  Run free at Rainbow Bridge.
The November Five - Spirits Max, Cherry, Tika, Trouble & Nova. 11/2008 - 3/2013 An era ends as Queen Nova crossed the Bridge.

Oakland, CA
5 January 2015 - 7:44 pm

Kathi,

We are so sorry to hear of Gus' passing. He had a fantastic life with you and Murphy though and I am sure he is having a grrrrreat time over the Bridge snarfing up Happy Hannah's welcome treats.

Run free sweet Gus and say hi to Rosa for me OK? 

Sending you and your family peace and love from the Oaktown Pack.

xoxox,

Martha

Woohoo! Tripawds Rule!

Regulator of the Oaktown Pack, Sheriff of the Oaktown Pawsse, Founding member and President of the Tripawd Girldogs With 2 Names ROCK Club, and ... Tripawd Girldog Extraordinaire!

Visit Codie Rae's Blog!

New Jersey
6 January 2015 - 12:21 pm

Dear Kathi,

i just read this and am so so sorry for you and your family. It had to be a terrible shock. He was a lucky boy having such a loving family. Run free Gus.

in my thoughts,

Esther and her Angel Snoop

Idaho
6 January 2015 - 7:17 pm

Thank you all for your caring posts. We are coping fairly well. Things go along in a sort of normal fashion and then something will jump out and ambush us. We know that all of you are way too familiar with this.

I was almost asleep last night and for some reason the tears just started again. I got out of bed, since I could tell that Garry was finally asleep, and went into the office and wrote a thank you note to our wonderful young vet. She was almost as upset as we were when Gus left us. Our guys have always been two of her favorites. I don't know what we would have done if we had had to take Gus to a stranger. Writing the note helped a lot. I printed out two pictures on the front of a thank you card...one of Gus as a three month old pup and the one at the top of this topic, which was taken at the lake this past summer. He did love going there!

Murphy is coping best of all. He is reveling in being an only dog. He gets to go with us whenever we have to go out. Before, we would leave the two of them at home together. Today he got to go shopping at Cabela's! Everybody there praised him for how good looking and how well behaved he was. He seems to totally have accepted the fact that Gus isn't here, and has taken his job as alpha dog very seriously. He warns us about things that he never paid attention to before.

Christine, I loved the visual of Gus being the calming influence at the Bridge. He could be an instigator when he wanted. Always was pretty much a gentleman, though.

Thanks again, everyone, for your love and concern.

Kathi and Murphy

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 148
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1275
Members: 17942
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: