TRIPAWDS: Home to 24198 Members and 2166 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
Callie 2/2004 - 2/2012
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
13 February 2012 - 5:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

It is with a broken heart that I post to say we said goodbye to our sweet Callie girl today.  It was definitely the hardest decision I have ever had to make in my life, but I know it was right.  She put up a good fight against her cancer and remained in good spirits until the end, not showing us how much pain she was really in.  Its amazing how stotic dogs can be!  Over the past few weeks she dropped so much weight, despite still eating as normal, and her breathing became more and more labored.  In the last few days she struggled to get comfortable lying on her side, which was her favorite position to be in, and got tired pretty easily after little activity.  But through it all, she still wagged her tail, ate and begged for food or treats, and was the sweet dog we loved for the past 7 1/2 years. 

I am at peace with our decision to end her fight before she declined any further, as that would be too hard for us to watch.  But I miss her so much already and I don't know if its really even set in that she is gone.  I dread going to bed and not having her here or waking up in the morning without her.  She went peacefully today as my husband and I stroked her fur and told her how much we love her. 

This website has been such a wonderful resource to us since we found out she was diagnosed with OSA back in July.  Thank you all for your responses to our questions and your comments.  It has been such a big help.  It is nice to know others know what we are going through and can relate to our struggles. 

Rest in peace sweet Callie girl...you will never be forgotten!

San Diego, CA
13 February 2012 - 5:40 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry the time has come for Callie to earn her wings. I'm glad you have peace in knowing you did the best thing for her. May the memories of the love you shared with her bring you peace in the coming days.

We've been there and know what you are going through. I hope sharing your grief with the Tripawds community will help to ease your burden just a bit.

Big hugs. She is running pain free with Abby and the other angels who went ahead of her now.
Jackie, Angel Abby's mom

Abby: Aug 1, 2009 – Jan 10, 2012. Our beautiful rescue pup lived LARGE with osteosarcoma for 15 months – half her way-too-short life. I think our "halflistic" approach (mixing traditional meds + supplements) helped her thrive. (PM me for details. I'm happy to help.) She had lung mets for over a year. They took her from us in the end, but they cannot take her spirit! She will live forever in our hearts. She loved the beach and giving kisses and going to In-N-Out for a Flying Dutchman. Tripawds blog, and a more detailed blog here. Please also check out my novel, What the Dog Ate. Now also in paperback! Purchase it at Amazon via Tripawds and help support Tripawds!

New Zealand
13 February 2012 - 5:43 pm

Fly free Callie fly free

So sorry you had to let your beautiful girl go. These decisions suck at any time. Hold your memories close they will help your heart heal. What a preicious gift you gave Callie by releasing her before she suffered.

Big hugs

Sarah, Kayla and Sarge

Rock Hill, SC
13 February 2012 - 5:46 pm

I am so very sorry for your loss.  Callie was such a beautiful girl and I know that you will miss her terribly.  I have always believed that dogs know what is in our hearts - they can just sense it.  Callie knows how much you love her and she knows how hard you fought for her.  I wish you peace in the difficult days ahead.

Lisa

Zeus was a Husky mix diagnosed with Osteosarcoma at age 11.  A visible lung met and suspicious spot on his liver meant a poor prognosis-six weeks was our vet's best guess. We decided to fight for our boy and his right front leg was amputated on 12/1/11. We did six rounds of chemo, changed his diet and spoiled him completely rotten. We were blessed with 10 great months after diagnosis. Against the odds, the lung met remained a single met and grew very little over those months. A wonderful furbaby with the most gentle spirit, he fought with a strength that we never imagined he possessed. We have no regrets...
http://zeuspod......pawds.com/

13 February 2012 - 6:01 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss.  I'm sure Callie would thank you for the lovely good-bye and being strong enough to let her go.  You must miss her so much!  What a difficult day.  Thinking of you and all the furbabies we've had to say good-bye to over the years. 

Baby sends a big slobber and me a hug!

Baby and Judy

knoxville, tn
13 February 2012 - 6:23 pm

we're sorry to read of callie's passing.  you gave her a final, selfless gift by releasing her from her broken body.  her spirit is now free - we're sure she's running full speed with gayle, abby, comet, rio, and all of the brave tripawd warrier princesses that went before her.  love never ends.

charon & spirit gayle

Life is good, so very, very good!!! Gayle enjoyed each and every moment of each and every wonderful day (naps included).  She left this world December 12, 2011 – off on a new adventure.

Love Never Ends

http://etgayle

13 February 2012 - 6:32 pm

Sweet Callie!! Today you loved her most of all.

Big hugs and love!!!

Orange County, CA
13 February 2012 - 6:46 pm

I'm so sorry to hear of Callie's passing.  Sending healing thoughts your way.

Greater Western Washington area
13 February 2012 - 7:51 pm

I am so sorry for your loss.  You did a great kindness to her to release her from her pain.  I understand about looking around at an empty home.  I hope that you find comfort in knowing you battled for her.

Elizabeth, Sammy's Mom

Diagnosed with osteosarcoma in the right front leg 8/23/10,

leg fractured 8/27/10,

leg amputated 8/30/10

http://sammyand.....pawds.com/

I couldn't begin to say how special Sammy is to us.  Living and laughing with and loving this wonderful boy is priceless.

Columbia, MO
13 February 2012 - 7:54 pm

I'm sorry to hear Callie's journey has come to an end.  That last gift is always the hardest one to give.  May she be running free at the bridge.

Marla and Daisy

My Two Tripawds...Biscuit and Spirit Daisy

Las Vegas, Nevada
13 February 2012 - 8:15 pm

I'm so incredibly sorry!  Callie seemed like such a wonderful spirit!

I know your heart is aching terribly but your love for her will get you through the darkest of days.  She will remind you of how wonderful life can be having someone love you unconditionally.  It will be her memory that brings a smile to you in the future. 

Letting her go may be the hardest of all but only because we want them to never leave us - but the truth is, they never leave us.  If only in spirit, they never really leave us.

My deepest condolences to you and your husband.

Her Retired AvatarComet - 1999 to 2011

She departed us unexpectedly  January 23, 2011 at the age of 12 1/2.

She was born with a deformed front leg and a tripawd all of her life.

WYO
13 February 2012 - 8:24 pm

So very sorry for your loss!

Heart healing wishes until you meet again!

13 February 2012 - 8:30 pm

I'm so sorry - I know there are no words to help right now but know that smiles thinking about your Callie will replace your tears at some point. She fought a great fight. Please know you have our best wishes for strength. Xoxo Sue

krun15
13 February 2012 - 9:47 pm

You gave Callie the last, best gift today. Although gone in the physical form, she will always be beside you.
I hope the good memories bring some peace in the coming days and weeks.

Karen and Spirit Maggie

Washington
13 February 2012 - 11:27 pm

I'm so very sorry about Callie. It's never easy to say good-bye to our beloved friends, but you can draw some comfort from the fact that you did everything within your power to make Callie's life a good one. She will forever be remembered as the sweet, beautiful girl that she was.

Rio's momma

the Woo

~ ~ Rio ~ ~
Forever in my heart...

April 2000 – January 20, 2012
Diagnosed with Mast Cell Cancer in June 2007. Left rear leg amputated Feb. 8, 2011.
Mets discovered Aug. 31, 2011. Read more of Rio's story here.

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 133
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1275
Members: 17942
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: