TRIPAWDS: Home to 23086 Members and 2158 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Caring for a Three Legged Dog or Cat

Tripawds is your home to learn how to care for a three legged dog or cat, with answers about dog leg amputation, and cat amputation recovery from many years of member experiences.

JUMP TO FORUMS

Join The Tripawds Community

Learn how to help three legged dogs and cats in the forums below. Browse and search as a guest or register for free and get full member benefits:

Instant post approval.

Private messages to members.

Subscribe to favorite topics.

Live Chat and much more!

Please consider registering
Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon-c
New amputee meeka 61/2 year old patterdale terrier
sp_NewTopic Add Topic

sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
11 November 2016 - 9:56 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

im after as much info as I can possibly get my beautiful girl meeka was in a accident and has had to have her back leg amputated she is just 2 days post op she is eating and drinking she has taken a few steps but is very reluctant to come out of her bed. It's early days but was hoping that I can get as much information on helping her as I possibly can so I can make her adjustments as easy as possible 

Livermore, CA

11 November 2016 - 10:14 am

Hello and welcome, your future posts will not have to wait for approval.

I'm sorry to hear Meeka was in an accident.  It sounds like she is doing well post op- eating and drinking.  Has she peed and pooped yet?  Our surgeon told us that only short, leashed potty walks were allowed for the first two weeks after surgery so her resting in her bed is a very good thing.

You can look through The Reading List or consider downloading one or more of the eBooks available here.  Both have lots of information on what to expect with surgery and recovery. Be sure you have good traction for your girl- cover any slipperly floors with rugs or yoga mats.

I looked up Patterdale Terrier and it looks like Meeka isn't too big?  My current Tripawd is a little pug mix named Elly.  She was hit by a car at 7 months old and lost her right rear leg. I got her at 10 months old and she was full of puppy energy.  She is getting close to 2 years old now and there is not much she can't do that a 4 legged dog her size can.  Well, except scratch behind her right ear- that's my job!

It also looks like your girl is probably very energetic and active normally?  After she heals from the surgery you are going to have to work on her core strength and balance to keep her fit and strong.  I use food puzzles and games, obedience training and balance work to challenge Elly's mind and burn up some energy. Here is Elly's Blog if you want to look at some of the things we do.  But that is for later- for now you need to keep her quiet, her pain managed and let her heal.

Do you have any specific questions or concerns?  Lots of experience on this site and all the support you need to get through the recovery period.

Karen and the Spirit Pug Girls

Tri-pug Maggie survived a 4.5 year mast cell cancer battle only to be lost to oral melanoma.

1999 to 2010

Maggie's Story                  Amputation and Chemo

Michigan
11 November 2016 - 2:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

So sorry that you have to find yourself here.  The next couple of weeks will be the hardest as Meeka recovers, but after that she should do well.  What medications did she come home on?  You'll want to make sure that you give those to her around the clock for adequate pain control.  Murphy came home on Tramadol, Rimadyl & Gabapentin.  Some have a Fentanyl patch or antibiotics.  You can apply an ice pack wrapped in a towel to the incision a couple of times a day for 10-15 minutes to help reduce swelling, and it helps with the pain, too.  You can put a pair of boxer shorts on her, with her tail through the fly, so that she doesn't have to wear the cone of shame all of the time.  It will help to keep the incision clean.  Right now she needs to be kept mostly quiet and resting, just going outside for short potty breaks. 

Donna

Donna, Glenn & Murphy 

Murphy had his right front leg amputated due to histiocytic sarcoma at 7 years old. He survived 4 years, 2 months & 1 week, only to be taken by hemangiosarcoma at 11 1/2 years 6/12/17  
Read about Murphy's Life on Three Legs

Donna.png

12 November 2016 - 4:40 am

Ditto the others.  It is really early, and sleep in the best thing for her.  Take her out for short leashed potty breaks only when you know she really needs to go - I kept a log of pee, poop, food, water and meds.  You might see a bit of a crash about day 3 - 5 as the hospital meds wear off.  Call your vet if you start seeing signs of pain (excessive panting was my Otis' key sign).  Many of us had to adjust pain meds at about that time.  Sudden yelps might also be a sign of phantom pain - many vets prescribe gabapentin for that.  The next two weeks will be hard, but most dogs really perk up once the staples come out, about day 10.

Traction is key for a Tripawd.  Make sure any slippery surfaces in your home (hard wood, tile) have industrial floor mats or other nonslip rugs.  Yoga mats work great too (although for long term, you really cannot vacuum over them).  

You might want to invest in a harness.  We loved the Ruffwear Webmaster Plus harness.  You can learn more about it in the gear blog.  

Once she is healed, you also might consider rehabilitative therapy.  The Maggie Moo fund might be able to reimburse your first visit.

Good luck, and reach out to the community with any questions.  We are here for you and Meeka.

Otis - 106 pound lab/Dane mix, lost his right front leg to osteosarcoma on Febuary 9, 2016.  Four rounds of carboplatin completed in April, 2016.  Lung mets August 25, 2016.  Said goodbye too soon on September 4, 2016.   Lost his adopted sister, Tess, suddenly on October 9, 2016. likely due to hemangiosarcoma.  

Wherever they are, they are together.

12 November 2016 - 7:28 am
  1. She seems to be a bit better today she has eaten and dranka little (although she's not drinking very much ) is there anything I can give her to encourage her to drink more I read that Gatorade mixed with her water could helpshe ventured out of her bed to let me know she needed to toilet has has urinated but not pooped yet and she came home with matacam she seemed very drowsy and can only have it once a day so we were thinking about maybe halving the dose and giving it her every 12 hours with her antibiotics she's never had any sort of medication beforeshe was very energetic before the accident i guess the key thing is to let her do what she wants in her own time and get plenty of rest I keep catching her just about to lick her wound but she stops as soon as we tell her no so that's good I think she would stress with a neck collar on she's only a small dog so I think a tee shirt would probable get in the way we just keep purring her blanket over the wound and she seems happy with that 
London, UK

13 November 2016 - 5:05 am

Sounds like you're doing really well. You could maybe try a baby t-shirt if you do need something and pull any loose material into a knot at the side (that's what I did anyway). I think you're absolutely right re letting her get plenty of rest. This is very early days and she needs as much rest as possible, with just short potty breaks then back to rest. For drinking, Sally swears by a swirl of ice cream in her drinking water, or perhaps you could try some chicken broth. Is she only on the Metacam for pain relief? Most dogs are on Tramadol as well and some also on Gabapentin.

All best,

Meg and Clare (and Elsie Pie) xxx

Ruby, Staffy, born June 2022, became a Tripawd, 23 November 2023, adopted 12 January 2024.

Also Angel Tripawd Meg (aka The Megastar), who died in April 2023, aged 14, after seven glorious years on three, and Angel Staffies Pie and Bille. In the pawprints of giants...

The Amazing Adventures of Ruby Tuesday 

My Life as a Megastar

13 November 2016 - 5:30 am

For the first several days, I carried water to Otis in bed every few hours.  He wouldn't drink a lot, but he would drink some, so frequent offering became key.  Doesn't Gatorade have a lot of sodium in it?  I might avoid that - I think it is also high in sugar.  I would probably stick with chicken broth to enhance the water.

Otis - 106 pound lab/Dane mix, lost his right front leg to osteosarcoma on Febuary 9, 2016.  Four rounds of carboplatin completed in April, 2016.  Lung mets August 25, 2016.  Said goodbye too soon on September 4, 2016.   Lost his adopted sister, Tess, suddenly on October 9, 2016. likely due to hemangiosarcoma.  

Wherever they are, they are together.

15 November 2016 - 4:11 am

Hi hi yeah she's just on metacam she seems to be doing better with 1/2 doses given twice a day she's not as doped up she is eating fine and is drinking ok better than she was we are taking the water to her in her bed and she seems to like that she is still reluctant to come out of her bed unless for potty breaks which she goes to the back door for so for now we are happy with that she also tried to get on the sofa with me last night she got her front paws up and I lifted her up she seemed quite happy and curled up next to me 

I think some small progress is being made she was a very independent dog before the accident and I think she is having a hard time letting us do things for her 

Virginia

16 November 2016 - 8:32 pm

Just catching up a d wa t to clarify...the ONLY "pain med" she is on is 1/2dose of Metcam (twice a day)? Have you spokew with your Vet about Tramadol and/or Gabapentin? This is MAJOR SURGERY! Sounds like Meeka is a very stpic dog and good at trying to hide her pain.

It's good that she's staying in her bed and trying to heal. It could be that it hurts too much to try and move around. Hopefully you can get some pain meds for her.

Glad she's drinking better! Eating is also a victory! Every little improvement is a big improvement!! 🙂

We'd love ro see pictures when you can. Her avatar picture is adorable!

Hugs!

Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

Happy Hannah had a glorious additional bonus time of over one yr & two months after amp for osteo! She made me laugh everyday! Joined April's Angels after send off meal of steak, ice cream, M&Ms & deer poop!

Forum Timezone: America/Denver
Most Users Ever Online: 946
Currently Online: Laura_9
Guest(s) 236
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1272
Members: 17844
Moderators: 6
Admins: 3
Forum Stats: